• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Fscking called it

Almost. That's ASP.NET WebForms.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@ChaosTheEternal said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Fscking called it

Almost. That's ASP.NET WebForms.

For all the difference it makes in the end...

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

@fwd said in WTF Bites:

@sloosecannon

Best viewed at 800x600 with IE 6.0 or Netscape 7.02 or Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6 or higher.
    ©2016 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. All rights reserved.

that's not a joke, that's literally on their front page.

edit: it's actually even better, the browser names are all links! really bummed to find out the netscape link doesn't actually download the browser anymore.

Indeed. And they've updated the copyright, so you know someone has touched it in less than a year...

Is it so difficult to echo the current year in the footer with the © symbol?

Filed under: Copyright 200 @index©

No, but given the website in question, do you really think they're doing that?

ASP Classic? Sure, why not.

Edit2: Yes, the whole damn page is a form.

you know whats amazing about ASP classic? javascript was a supported language for server side code. But I've never seen any ASP pages coded that way. js obviously has its own quirks but holy shit it's leaps and bounds better than classic VB.

@fwd said in WTF Bites:

you know whats amazing about ASP classic? javascript was a supported language for server side code.

Well, IIRC technically any program that accepted IO and could be registered as a handler would be supported. It was basically one step forward from CGI...

• BINNED

:wtf: Twitter! How much did the Clinton campaign pay you to display these psycho drumpfshits?

0_1475639626490_Screenshot from 2016-10-04 20-46-24.png

Now I have to donate to Hillary again! they do not even need that!
    Seriously either the data scientist in charge of Twitter's ads is a total wacko, or he will quit after this election and live like a millionaire with ill-gotten moneyzz

• @dse not five minutes ago, Cheri Oteri called it "the best new comedy this season".

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

And will never be able to - she died. No idea on the status of a replacement version...

"Alive", one would hope.

• Dupa

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra I'm sure. There's always that guy who will go to any lengths to out-:pendant: others.

@HardwareGeek?

• TIL that an Outlook add-in called Suggested Meetings exists, and apparently it got turned on in yesterday's update. Why does this exist? Why would Outlook think I'd want to attend a meeting that I haven't been invited to? I don't even want to attend most of the ones I have been invited to.

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

TIL that an Outlook add-in called Suggested Meetings exists, and apparently it got turned on in yesterday's update. Why does this exist? Why would Outlook think I'd want to attend a meeting that I haven't been invited to? I don't even want to attend most of the ones I have been invited to.

It's an easy way for managers to quickly create meetings to fill their calendar instead of doing actual work.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

TIL that an Outlook add-in called Suggested Meetings exists, and apparently it got turned on in yesterday's update. Why does this exist? Why would Outlook think I'd want to attend a meeting that I haven't been invited to? I don't even want to attend most of the ones I have been invited to.

The only good addin would be called Slayer and would auto-reject any meetings not on a white list.

• BINNED

It's an easy way for managers to quickly create meetings to fill their calendar instead of doing actual work.

Do you think mods here would hate me or love me if I made a ⛔ 👶 plugin that would do the same for them?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

The only good addin would be called Slayer and would auto-reject any meetings not on a white list.

With a name like that, auto-retaliation against the meeting organiser would seem to be the most desired feature…

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

What is wrong is expecting them to filter results at all by whether your device profile matches, at least not until the page is showing.

Why? Do forums display all topics being searched for regardless of what permissions you have until you click on them?

I don't think this is unreasonable at all!

All an App store is is a specially formatted forum software after all.

I wouldn't mind if it was a togglable option.

Maybe I'm searching on my desktop, and want to find an app that I'll install on my phone later.

Or maybe I'm searching on my phone, because I'm going to buy a better phone, and want to know if the app is compatible with the new phone.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@fwd said in WTF Bites:

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6 or higher.

Sweet. I'm in.

• "How it feels to latch on to a trending article and try to shill your AWFUL javascript library. In 2016"

• @error said in WTF Bites:

0_1475593290427_upload-94e62d31-c40f-4cde-a463-ea5a59a27139

To be fair, any company trying to change literally anything about their products will be met with a slew of similar comments.

• Considered Harmful

@Maciejasjmj I was led to that page from
    0_1475706338395_upload-3499f03a-aae9-4c61-896b-6584afa1e107

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

The only good addin would be called Slayer and would auto-reject any meetings not on a white list.replace your notification sounds with a full rendition of Raining Blood

• Not quite sure where to post this, it could go into both Good Ideas or Bad Ideas, so I'll put it here instead.

IncludeOS / Brief Overview / Features

Essentially, a minimal bootloader + kernel infrastructure + support code to run a single C++ "process"/service in ring0 of a virtual machine. You get the fun of modern C++ and of being in ring0. It appears to aim at cloud/web services, so what could possibly go wrong?

It may sound insane, but I have to admit that it sounds like my kind of insane.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

We have what amounts to "Warning: foo is deprecated. This will become an error in a future version." Thousands of them.

jade has been renamed to pug!
    Warning: Peer dependencies will not automatically be installed in NPM 3!
    minimatch@2.0.10: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
    npmconf@2.1.2: this package has been reintegrated into npm and is now out of date with respect to npm
    cross-spawn-async@2.2.4: cross-spawn no longer requires a build toolchain, use it instead!

oh dependencies of mine.... keep your dependencies even remotely up to date plx?

• Dupa

@Lorne-Kates said in WTF Bites:

@fwd said in WTF Bites:

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6 or higher.

Sweet. I'm in.

Hey, it's the only website that works well with your :belt_onion: FF version!

• kills Dumbledore

@Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

a full rendition of Raining Blood

It's raining blood
    Hallelujah it's raining blood
    I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
    Absolutely soaking wet!
    It's Raining blood! Hallelujah!
    It's Raining blood! Every type of cell!
    red, white, and plasma
    Rough and tough and strong and mean

npm install -g semantic-release-cli

> keytar@3.0.2 install /home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/lib/node_modules/semantic-release-cli/node_modules/keytar
    > node-gyp rebuild

Package gnome-keyring-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gnome-keyring-1.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'gnome-keyring-1' found
    gyp: Call to 'pkg-config --libs-only-l gnome-keyring-1' returned exit status 1 while in binding.gyp. while trying to load binding.gyp
    gyp ERR! configure error 
    gyp ERR! stack Error: `gyp` failed with exit code: 1
    gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onCpExit (/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/configure.js:305:16)
    gyp ERR! stack     at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
    gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:172:7)
    gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:200:12)
    gyp ERR! System Linux 4.2.0-c9
    gyp ERR! command "/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/bin/node" "/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
    gyp ERR! cwd /home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/lib/node_modules/semantic-release-cli/node_modules/keytar
    gyp ERR! node -v v4.4.3
    gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.3.1
    gyp ERR! not ok 
    npm ERR! Linux 4.2.0-c9
    npm ERR! argv "/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/bin/node" "/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/bin/npm" "install" "-g" "semantic-release-cli"
    npm ERR! node v4.4.3
    npm ERR! npm  v2.15.1
    npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

fuckers.

I needed to install libgnome-keyring-dev using apt-get, which of course appears so helpfully in the above message. And I still get all these pointless warnings:

npm WARN deprecated npmconf@2.1.2: this package has been reintegrated into npm and is now out of date with respect to npm

> keytar@3.0.2 install /home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/lib/node_modules/semantic-release-cli/node_modules/keytar
    > node-gyp rebuild

gyp WARN download NVM_NODEJS_ORG_MIRROR is deprecated and will be removed in node-gyp v4, please use NODEJS_ORG_MIRROR
    gyp WARN download NVM_NODEJS_ORG_MIRROR is deprecated and will be removed in node-gyp v4, please use NODEJS_ORG_MIRROR
    make: Entering directory `/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.3/lib/node_modules/semantic-release-cli/node_modules/keytar/build'

• :belt_onion:

@Yamikuronue node-gyp seems to be about one of the worst npm packages for useless error messages.

@sloosecannon My anger has been appeased; apparently it was trying to save me from making a horrible mistake.

What the fuck setup utility OVERWRITES existing configuration for ANOTHER PRODUCT in order to add its own hooks?! Fuck that!

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

@Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

a full rendition of Raining Blood

It's raining blood
    Hallelujah it's raining blood
    I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
    Absolutely soaking wet!
    It's Raining blood! Hallelujah!
    It's Raining blood! Every type of cell!
    red, white, and plasma
    Rough and tough and strong and mean

I don't know :wtf: you're talking about (probably :belt_onion:) so Ima post this...

Slayer Raining Blood Official Video – 06:56
    — Manuel Bravo Barragán

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

I don't know you're talking about (probably )

I think it's supposed to be parodying "It's Raining Men".

• So my university has a system to access all the research papers and other documents they've published. You can filter by date, by author, etc, but there's also an option that says "filter by topic".

Clicking takes you to a list of "topics" so you can pick one, except there are approximately 160,000 of them. For 80,000 publications. So it would take you half as long to just browse all the documents directly than to browse through their categories. And there's no way to sort them by number of publications, it's always by alphabetical order.

They have obviously been automatically extracted from the documents by some script, since they include things like (0, 1 x 1, X) Education, Cooperative. , h uman h ealth r isk a ssessment (those are newline characters somehow), and of course X-RAY, x-ray and X-ray since it's case sensitive.

I know that categorizing 80,000 documents is hard, but come on, that's literally useless.

• Friday, 15:14: Windows Action Center notifies me of mail. When did the mail itself arrive, you may wonder. Wednesday, 07:43. Thank you, Windows, for being so diligent in keeping me aware of important information.

• @Arantor said in WTF Bites:

So I looked up the Windows Store. First time I ever tried to use it.

I'm thinking with all the extra time I have that I might try to resurrect my writing properly - and since commuting is no longer an issue I'm looking at writing tools on Windows.

So I went to the store, found a few things.

0_1475527111938_upload-6783f133-144b-46ef-b8cb-1106ea43ec38

Clearly something bizarre happened. I've spent 15 years being a web programmer and forgot about system architecture. What is X86 ARM? I thought these were two completely different types of CPU, not just like Intel and Intel-knockoff (since this isn't 1998 and we're not doing Intel vs AMD vs Cyrix x86 derivatives)

Maybe it was missing a slash between the types?
    "X86 / ARM required"

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

I'm thinking with all the extra time I have that I might try to resurrect my writing properly - and since commuting is no longer an issue I'm looking at writing tools on Windows.

Clearly something bizarre happened. I've spent 15 years being a web programmer and forgot about system architecture. What is X86 ARM? I thought these were two completely different types of CPU, not just like Intel and Intel-knockoff (since this isn't 1998 and we're not doing Intel vs AMD vs Cyrix x86 derivatives)

"X86 / ARM required"

Space-delimited strings!

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

"X86 / ARM required"

Space-delimited strings!

If so, then I guess "required" is an architecture, which is true, you do need architecture to run an app.

I think we have our answer! 🔔 🔔 A winner is us!

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

So my university has a system to access all the research papers and other documents they've published.

Sounds like a CRIS. They're a thing, and they're usually awful to use because their developers don't think usability by ordinary people is a priority. I wonder which stinking pile of :doing_it_wrong: 💩 you've got…

I know that categorizing 80,000 documents is hard, but come on, that's literally useless.

Is it PURE? That sounds very much like PURE. I loathe it. Every academic I've talked to in the university loathes it. The technical advice given to the research management committee was explicitly “avoid this at all costs, it is that awful to use” so guess what they purchased… :facepalm: :headdesk:

• @dkf According to the about page, it uses DSpace

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

According to the about page, it uses DSpace

OK. That's one of the few things that PURE does integrate with, mostly to try to take over from it. (We used to use DSpace. It wasn't liked at all…)

• @Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

http://i.imgur.com/MOXgsGJ.jpg

No, Google, I don't think you can call this a "new album by David Bowie". I don't think David Bowie will be putting out any new album in the foreseeable future.

They're not wrong, though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Can_I_Be_Now%3F_(1974–1976)

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

The technical advice given to the research management committee was explicitly “avoid this at all costs, it is that awful to use” so guess what they purchased… :facepalm: :headdesk:

That reminds of the time, many years ago, when my company conducted a survey to decide which source control system to use. The result was "please not PVCS", so they showed the results to the vendor and got a really good discount on PVCS.

@Karla said in WTF Bites:

Doing a build to production on Friday before a 3 day weekend.

Starting a new production run (chemical plant, different kind of 'production'), at 9pm, on Friday, on a 3 day weekend, of something we've never made before except in the lab, on new equipment we've never used before, that they just finished installing yesterday.

Because the salesman promised the customer we could ship the finished product in 6 weeks, because it should take 6 weeks to produce the amount they want, assuming everything goes perfectly, except it takes 6-8 weeks just to get all the raw materials from various suppliers around the world, and now people (not me, fortunately) are being yelled at for being 2 months behind schedule.

• @El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

the salesman promised the customer

Words of doom. Whatever horrible incantation summons Cthulhu from the deep, I'm sure that is its English translation.

Status: Told FreeBSD to install gcc or something. Apparently I already have it installed. Or something.

0_1476077860796_upload-11a2e85b-2193-4862-8c38-8824e422883c

Wait, which one are you installing? 4.8.5_1 or 4.8.5_2? ??? !!! ?!?!?

FFS I was told it's easy and painless to install anything on FreeBSD thanks to the awesomeness of Ports, but so far every time I go to do anything at all involves several hours of runarounds and fuck-yous.

Even PKG-based packages (:wtf:) are somewhat broken and rife with issues such as "the maintainer didn't set sane defaults and so I can't use the pkg version anyways".

@El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

Starting a new production run (chemical plant, different kind of 'production'), at 9pm, on Friday, on a 3 day weekend, of something we've never made before except in the lab, on new equipment we've never used before, that they just finished installing yesterday.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

**twitch**

• @LB_ said in WTF Bites:

@FrostCat I think there is a misunderstanding here. Yes, the Unicode characters are rendered in all browsers, but they aren't converted into colored emoji (unless you're on FireFox or something).

So recently I noticed that Chrome on Windows 10 renders emoji using Microsoft's emoji set.

0_1476133369782_upload-ada7ccce-e890-4154-97ca-6e2af9cd36da

Interesting.

• area_can

@LB_ I was getting that on Firefox, so it's not just chrome :D

• @r10pez10 What's that? Cathulu?

• Fake News

@Rhywden Looks like a young chimera to me.

Maybe the goat head is supposed to grow in during puberty according to the artist.

• @bb36e Yeah the discussion I replied to was specifically about how only FireFox supported it at the time, I was adding to it that now months later Chrome has support.

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

@r10pez10 What's that? Cathulu?

No, it's a Harmless Offering, of course!

0_1476158459979_upload-30a40d25-5c52-4d7d-9092-fab022941c96