WTF Bites

• Banned

@Vixen haven't you read? It's still wrong!

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

@Vixen haven't you read? It's still wrong!

i'm a fox. you want me to read as well as wright perfectly fluent English?!

• Considered Harmful

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@error said in WTF Bites:

Notepad3

Oooh!

Edit: I see it's got wish-it-was-multi-cursor editing.

Yeah, for me it fills the need of ultralightweight editor. If I need fancy features, I use VS Code. My use-cases for Notepad are: taking notes (shock!), reading files, temporary scratch pad/clipboard buffer.

The lack of Multiple Document Interface is a feature to me. It makes, eg, Notepad++ feel clunky to me.

Filed under: "For me" "My use-cases" "to me" are attempts to stop people from arguing with me about this.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@levicki It is the first one, EXCEPTION_IN_PAGE_ERROR. And it's description says:

The thread tries to access a page that is not present, and the system is unable to load the page. For example, this exception might occur if a network connection is lost while running a program over a network.

That does not seem like a bug in Git, but a bug in the setup. Either running something over network (including accessing git repository directly on a share—that is a bad idea) or I think running out of memory could also do this.

Odd. In this case I'm actually not using anything over the network (besides obviously fetching from the internet).

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

if mine says "VAC secured" but actually isn't, then that means said cheater can join regular public dedicated servers

there be a reason why i don't play online multiplayer game me hearties..... arr......

• @levicki CLOSED_WORKS_AS_DESIGNED Use ad blocker; no page for you!

IMG_20200205_202836.jpg

• @Tsaukpaetra That's just to get the total up to their preferred minimum price of $25.

• Java Dev

Today I had to register password recovery information, because my work decided to enable 2FA login for the SSO. Had to register a phone number to receive the 2FA codes and I hope for password recovery too (seems to just be required for first login on a new device). The security questions were all of the preselected variety and they were all completely stupid, as most of them were useless to me for one reason or another.

• What was your favorite video game as a kid?
    • What was the first name of your favorite teacher in elementary school?
    • What was the last name of your second love?
    • What food did you like the least growing up?
    • What was the best gift you received as a kid?
    • Who was your first idol?
    • What place did you have your first kiss?
    • What's the name of the place you liked visiting the most as a kid?
    • What's the first name of the trainer of the first sport you practiced?
    • What was the favorite food cooked by your grandma when you were a kid?

To which I can answer:

• Can't remember.
    • Had no favorites.
    • Can't remember.
    • Can't remember.
    • Can't remember.
    • Can't remember.
    • Behind the toolshed at my first school. (Dunno how to phrase this in a way that I will remember the exact phrasing.)
    • Can't remember.
    • Can't remember. Also, there were several trainers, so which one even if I did?
    • My grandma died when I was very young, so can't remember much about her at all. And my other grandma died before I was born.

Fuck insecurity questions with a rusty spork. Especially preselected ones. But I already know corporate IT loves making all the decisions to make all our accounts less secure Not like we handle a bunch of PII and sensitive data or anything... Also, this wont stop the 6 month password expiry, as this information is now mandatory to change the password when it expires, as explicitly stated by the message. Fucking morons. And unfortunately being the local IT security expert means nothing as I can't override policies set by the central IT department.

• BINNED

@error said in WTF Bites:

attempts to stop people from arguing with me about this.

YMBNH!

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Suggested answers:

• wwyfvgaak
    • tsreoesad
    • kaagvfyww
    • dik
    • whatkid

etc.

It's not like they improve security a nibble, especially when just added to a password like we had to connect to that other client's VPN.

Not like we handle a bunch of PII and sensitive data or anything...

I wonder if the answers to those "security" questions could be considered PII by the GDPR. After all, you don't want everyone to know who your second love was.

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

And why the fuck is your food called "Mic Drop!" ?

Let's see...

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Super Mario clone on PC

Records indicate a "Mrs. Weiss"

Uh, to have a "second" love, you'd need a first, right? Therefore "N/a"

Searching archives... Lettuce.

Searching archives...An HP Pavilion 550n Desktop PC with 128 MB of RAM, Pentium 4, running Windows XP? No, that wasn't as a kid. Hmm. Depends on what you mean by "kid", but we'll go with "Tandy 1000-SX with dial 5.25" drives and internal hard drive"

• Who was your first idol?

First? Well, fuck. I suppose I'd go with 7 of 9, Tertiary adjunct of Unimatrix 01.

Searching interactions records, omitting family... Level 2 and above not found, level 1 denoted as "Front door, after school, 'girlfriend''s house".

• What's the name of the place you liked visiting the most as a kid?

Public Library

There is insufficient data to reconstruct such an answer.

• What was the favorite food cooked by your grandma when you were a kid?

Uh... 🤔 ... 🤔 ... 🤔 ... 🤔 ... Macaroni and Cheese?

I suppose the Internet knows my secret answers now. Better go prep for being hacked!

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

And why the fuck is your food called "Mic Drop!" ?

Many of the menu items have punny little names:

https://www.sosobaphx.com/menu

• BINNED

And unfortunately being the local IT security expert means nothing as I can't override policies set by the central IT department.

What happens if you tell them "I posted the answers to all of these on Facebook, using them would compromise our security"?

• Java Dev

@topspin I am tempted to start mailing them the NIST security guidelines document with increasing frequency until they get a clue.

• BINNED

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

I wonder if the answers to those "security" questions could be considered PII by the GDPR

Don't doubt. It is.

• BINNED

NIST security guidelines

Add a GDPR reference while you are add it :trollface:

• 🚽 Regular

What place did you have your first kiss?

The forehead.

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

What place did you have your first kiss?

The forehead.

Romantic!

Can't remember.
    Can't remember.
    Can't remember.
    Can't remember.

You seem to have a bigger problem than insecure passwords. You should probably see a psychiatrist or something.

• Java Dev

@Vault_Dweller It's a lot of vagueness and asking me to remember stuff from an 18 year long period of my life. I can't remember exactly what I thought at the time, and also what age range I should pick from at that. I can't think up anything that stands out enough for it to be the answer for these questions, because being a kid my preferences did swing wildly depending on my mood and what I thought at the time. So those "favorite/least favorite when kid" questions are extra shit because of how kids are.

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra Maybe the server (Lane U) is hot and deserves such a big tip? 🍹

I have no idea what this is in response to, so I'm going with:

I have been summoned, and so I appear.

@topspin I am tempted to start mailing them the NIST security guidelines document with increasing frequency until they get a clue.

I hope the new CMMC guidelines (which are supposed to supersede NIST/FARS) will finally fix this crap. (For one, CMMC actually requires auditable compliance while NIST apparently counts you as compliant if you merely claim that you are attempting to achieve compliance... :facepalm: )

@Vault_Dweller It's a lot of vagueness and asking me to remember stuff from an 18 year long period of my life. I can't remember exactly what I thought at the time, and also what age range I should pick from at that. I can't think up anything that stands out enough for it to be the answer for these questions, because being a kid my preferences did swing wildly depending on my mood and what I thought at the time. So those "favorite/least favorite when kid" questions are extra shit because of how kids are.

Too many precanned security questions don't even apply to me. "What position did you play in high school basketball?" Uh, I never played sports. "What's your favorite sports team?" I don't care about sports. "What was your first girlfriend's name?" Uh, somehow I've made it this far in life without ever having a girlfriend. "Where was your honeymoon?" See above. "What was your neighbor's name when you were a kid?" Um, I grew up on a farm and the nearest neighbor was literally miles away, so I don't know. "What was your mother's maiden name?" Some forty-eight-syllable German word I don't know how to spell. "What's your favorite beach to visit?" I hate beaches.

It's like all the people who came up with the security questions conspired to make sure I can't answer a single one of them, and I'll never remember made-up answers.

• Banned

In Outlook Web App, you can mark folders as favorite so they show up on top of the list of folders. In addition to their regular place among other folders. This causes Outlook to count unread messages there twice.

• @mott555 they are also assuming that people never change their mind.
    Whenever these are mandated, I put another random password in.

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

and I'll never remember made-up answers.

Come up with a rule. Something like second to last word of the question spelled backward, or third letter of each word or something like that and just use it. For systems that just add it to the password it seems completely appropriate.

• BINNED

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

"What was your mother's maiden name?" Some forty-eight-syllable German word I don't know how to spell

Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger?

Video games didn't exist when I was a kid :belt_onion:

I only remember the names of two of them (until a minute ago, I could only remember one), and I'm not sure which, if either, was my favorite. Also, my favorite {teacher|hobby|food|whatever} tends to change over time, so I probably had more than one.

Does that include crushes and infatuations? If not, there's been only one. Well, maybe if you count the girl across the street when I was growing up — I was head over heels crazy about her for years but too shy to do anything about it, and I was a year and a half younger than her, so I didn't even exist as a romantic possibility as far as she was concerned. If you do count crushes and infatuations (all unspoken and unrequited), 50 years is too long to remember most of the names, and even if I remember a few names, which one was second?

No idea; probably something I never ate because my mom was allergic to it.

I guess I can pick out one memorable answer for this one. No, I'm not going to tell you.

Lips

Sport? What's a sport?

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Suggested answers:

• wwyfvgaak
    • tsreoesad
    • kaagvfyww
    • dik
    • whatkid

etc.

Mine tend to look more like fGHgshdQK, but yeah; random strings stored in KeyPass along with the passwords.

"What's your favorite beach to visit?"

There's your answer

I hate beaches.

🍹

• @TimeBandit The other variant I get is "What's your favorite nearby beach?" The word "nearby" doesn't really apply because the oceans are all 1500 miles away from me.

"What's your favorite nearby beach?"

The frozen one 🇨🇦

• @TimeBandit It really wouldn't surprise me if Canadian beaches were closer than American ones.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Suggested answers:

• wwyfvgaak
    • tsreoesad
    • kaagvfyww
    • dik
    • whatkid

etc.

Mine tend to look more like fGHgshdQK, but yeah; random strings stored in KeyPass along with the passwords.

They are not random strings, actually.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

a rule. Something like second to last word of the question spelled backward, or third letter of each word or something like that

1. The brain-damaged tool where I needed security questions only worked in IE and I didn't feel like integrating something with it. It also asked random one of several questions, so it wouldn't be exactly convenient filling the answer in.
    2. It was in addition to password, so it's not like it was adding any useful security.

• :belt_onion:

@Vault_Dweller said in WTF Bites:

Can't remember.
    Can't remember.
    Can't remember.
    Can't remember.

You seem to have a bigger problem than insecure passwords. You should probably see a psychiatrist or something.

Depends on your age. Many of those questions reference things that (for me) happened 50+ years ago.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

It also asked random one of several questions, so it wouldn't be exactly convenient filling the answer in.

I put all of them in KeyPass. Something like "stupid.com insecurity question #1" in the name field, the question (or enough of a hint to identify the question; e.g., some site has a question about my hero — I don't remember offhand if it's something like my favorite superhero, or real-life hero, or what — KeyPass has "hero") in the username field and the answerresponse — it's not actually an answer to the question — in the password field.

• Fake News

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

The brain-damaged tool where I needed security questions only worked in IE and I didn't feel like integrating something with it. It also asked random one of several questions, so it wouldn't be exactly convenient filling the answer in.

Password managers still support copy and paste, you know...

It's like all the people who came up with the security questions conspired to make sure I can't answer a single one of them, and I'll never remember made-up answers.

As a result of a random thought I had years ago, I've got a perfect fake answer that I can always remember for "first pet". The worst ones are "favourite book" and things like that, because then you have to remember when you signed up for whatever service. Or stop reading

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

I've got a perfect fake answer that I can always remember for "first pet".

hungrier: "myself".

• Considered Harmful

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

"What was your mother's maiden name?" Some forty-eight-syllable German word I don't know how to spell

Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger?

That they had to extend the parliament's speaker name display for her just means German doesn't have really long names. Sri Lanka's last president was called Pallewatte Gamaralalage Maithripala Yapa Sirisena, and even he has nothing on that cricketer by the name of Rupasinghe Jayawardene Mudiyanselage Gihan Madushanka Rupasinghe

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

I am sure you knew all that.

No, I didn't. TIL. Thanks.

• @levicki That explains why I didn't notice the possibility. I don't think I've ever switched to the Advanced tab, except for the password generator rules.

• @Vault_Dweller said in WTF Bites:

Can't remember.
    Can't remember.
    Can't remember.
    Can't remember.

That sounds more like something involving lawyers.

Too many precanned security questions don't even apply to me. "What position did you play in high school basketball?

I always pick those because I never played. And the answer is "Ralph" (or whatever is on my mind - my dog ralphed (threw up) his dinner and breakfast that other day)

and I'll never remember made-up answers.

It's in the notes sections of KeePassx!

• @dcon But are you going to remember that your dog ralphed when you were picking security answers?

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@dcon But are you going to remember that your dog ralphed when you were picking security answers?

Yes, because it's in keypassx! "Q: Position in basketball\nA:Ralph"