WTF Bites

• ♿ (Parody)

@Lorne-Kates said in WTF Bites:

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

The default is to show all the contacts. Which are 1800+ at my school

wat is paging? :doing_it_wrong:

It's how you used to get ahold of people when cell phones existed but before they were common. :belt_onion:

• WTF of my day: So, we bought a couple of Surface Go which nominally support charging over USB-C. Someone else also bought a trolley with an semi-integrated charging solution (i.e. a compartment where two ten-port USB charging hubs can be put into).

Yesterday I wanted to try out some of them - but several of them were at low charging levels. Turns out, someone had forgotten to plugin the power cord for that particular hub. Oh well. After fixing that problem, the Surfaces showed the "charging" symbols on the desktop when I plugged them in.

Today I checked on things and discovered that the charging levels hadn't risen - but dropped, in fact.

Turns out that charging a Surface Go over USB-C will only be done while offline if the voltage is 15 Volts. But someone (not me!) bought ten-port USB-A charging hubs which, due to the non-negotiating nature of USB-A only provide 5 Volts.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@loopback0
    NOPE!!! thread is :arrows:

• @Rhywden Okay, on further research it turns out it's not the voltage which is responsible for not charging but the missing PowerDelivery protocol. Because I've got a "native" USB-C charger here which only does 5 Volts but is currently happily charging the Surface Go.

I've also found out (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that point) that it's actually a chip in the cable which is responsible for negotating the voltage/current levels of the PD protocol - and I've found a cable which promises to incorporate this chip. I've also ordered a USB-C-multimeter to be able to see what's going on.

• Additional WTF of my day: Just found out that one of the major schoolbook suppliers in Germany provides his books in an online version.

In Flash.

It's 2019, people. They obviously haven't heard about it being just a tiny bit hard to actually use Flash in any browser nowadays. And also haven't heard about Flash being EOL'ed next year.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

In Flash.
    It's 2019, people.

but in flash you can't right click so no one will steeal our books.

• @Lorne-Kates said in WTF Bites:

In Flash.
    It's 2019, people.

but in flash you can't right click so no one will steeal our books.

They haven't heard of the power of "Snipping Tool" then.

I just sent them an email with the following body:

Flash. In 2019. Seriously?

• @Rhywden: USB-C is a mess. In theory it should solve compatibility problems for charging. In practice, it's so complex that most implementations are buggy, and there's no guarantee the device won't require something the charger may not support.

But then, if it was simple and well-designed, it would not involve the USB committee.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

"Flash has detected a screen-capture program running. You must shut off that program before continuing."

(Okay, maybe Flash doesn't do that per se, but PDF DRM plug-ins like fucking Lock Lizard do)

"Flash has detected a screen-capture program running. You must shut off that program before continuing."

(Okay, maybe Flash doesn't do that per se, but PDF DRM plug-ins like fucking Lock Lizard do)

For such cases I have a VM with Windows 10 Edu inside it.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

For such cases I have a VM with Windows 10 Edu inside it.

I would have, but the locked PDF was a sewing pattern, which explicitly needs to be the same size printed as PDF.

It also won't let you print to "Print to PDF".

Unless you rename "Microsoft Print to PDF" to something like "HP Inkjet 2000".

Now I have a DRM-free PDF.

• @Lorne-Kates There are also online "PDF unlocker" out there.

• Fake News

Unless you rename "Microsoft Print to PDF" to something like "HP Inkjet 2000".

Omg. Hax.

• Fake News

@cvi ERMAHGERD IT'S WORMVERINE!

• ♿ (Parody)

Got assigned a ticket to validate a particular kind of change in the system. One way to make the change is to use a particular workflow where one user makes a request and another approves it. In this case, it's changing a number. The approver looks at the request and can approve up to the amount requested. Due to events between the request and the approval, however, some values might be invalid. So I'm not letting them choose this. Well, in the case where there are no valid changes, I think I need to provide some information to explain why.

So I go looking at how the current information is displayed. And then I discover a key/value table with "metadata" about the request, instead of just loading up the actual information from the DB. :wtf: :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

ZOMG this shit needs to be replaced with some gloves so badly.

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

So I've been looking at a new monitor. Yesterday, it looked like this:

komplett-screen1.png

Notice in the lower right how it says 50+ in stock? Also, offer valid until january 19th or while supplies last. Well, today it looked like this:

komplett-screen2.png

The message at the top says: "This product is no longer in our selection. Use the search."

So... How the fuck did it go from 50+ in stock to being completely removed from the store overnight?

This reminds me of the time when I bought a dishwasher that was on sale (as in, listed with a pretty good discount from its regular price) and it went from being on sale to being completely and permanently out of stock, and none available in their warehouse, while it was still available for purchase on their website (albeit for the "regular" price... the sale had ended). As in, they wouldn't sell me the one that I bought because they didn't have any of them to sell.

I ended up complaining enough and finally someone there was helpful enough to find one of them in some warehouse somewhere and send it to me. IIRC they had to completely start a new order and charge me again because the first order had already been automatically canceled and was in the process of being refunded.

• @DCoder said in WTF Bites:

b4b24304-510b-491b-b43d-590796363324-image.png

Details of this breach are now available:

"Collection #1" is a set of email addresses and passwords totalling 2,692,818,238 rows. It's made up of many different individual data breaches from literally thousands of different sources.

In total, there are 1,160,253,228 unique combinations of email addresses and passwords. This is when treating the password as case sensitive but the email address as not case sensitive.

The unique email addresses totalled 772,904,991.

• BINNED

Message from syslogd@somehost at Jan 17 14:29:59 ...
     kernel:[13295.575854] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3c on CPU 3.

kernel:[13295.575867] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

kernel:[13295.575873] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Just got this in my SSH session.

I agree with the confusion kernel, I agree.

• Considered Harmful

Additional WTF of my day: Just found out that one of the major schoolbook suppliers in Germany provides his books in an online version.

In Flash.

Perversely, educational software is still the place where the most Flash warts keeps festering. It's about time Chrome kicked out its emulation so the guys would get a wakeup call in form of a plummeting visits line in what is probably Webalyzer on their servers.

• Considered Harmful

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Additional WTF of my day: Just found out that one of the major schoolbook suppliers in Germany provides his books in an online version.

In Flash.

Perversely, educational software is still the place where the most Flash warts keeps festering. It's about time Chrome kicked out its emulation so the guys would get a wakeup call in form of a plummeting visits line in what is probably Webalyzer on their servers.

From my experiences, Flash takes the top spot, followed by Java.

• Снимок экрана_2019-01-17_23-14-27.png

• WTF of my day: So, we needed some tools and gadgets for my school - and everything I needed was on Amazon. So I put in an order for the three things. Two of them were delivered by Amazon's own service just fine.

The last one was to be delivered by DHL. The address did include my school's name as a hint.

So, naturally, when did they try the first delivery? Why, at 7:30pm of course!

And because that went so well, they tried again on the next day. At 7:45pm, because naturally if a school is closed after 5pm it only makes sense to not try before that time...

• @Rhywden So, the opposite problem of ordering something to your home and having it delivered by UPS.

• Our website is having trouble interacting with your ad blocking software. If you’re experiencing issues we apologize and suggest that you try disabling your current ad blocker or switching to a different ad block provider.

How about NO :fu:

• @TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

Our website is having trouble interacting with your ad blocking software. If you’re experiencing issues we apologize and suggest that you try disabling your current ad blocker or switching to a different ad block provider.

How about NO :fu:

My ad blocking software is interacting with your website by blocking your ads. No trouble.

• Banned

, naturally, when did they try the first delivery? Why, at 7:30pm of course!

OMG I'd kill for a delivery man that bothered to arrive at 7:30PM! Here in Poland, they all work between 9AM and 3PM.

• @Tsaukpaetra What's that "Spash Screen"? Is that the Laotian version of Splash Screen? But wait, even "Spash" has too many consonants in a row for a Laotion, and "screen" is even worse; they'd rather pronounce it like "sae seen".

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Status: I love when Master Server has trouble talking to itself.

ab5ed589-8093-4010-a874-7107fd7203f3-image.png

Did you search for it in the Garbage Can?

• Considered Harmful

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra What's that "Spash Screen"? Is that the Laotian version of Splash Screen? But wait, even "Spash" has too many consonants in a row for a Laotion, and "screen" is even worse; they'd rather pronounce it like "sae seen".

What's that "Laotion"? Some Asian lavatory?

• WTFs of my day:

a) So, the one package which DHL tried to deliver two times way after 6 pm the days before was listed as "returning to sender" in the tracker. I just got a message from a colleage that a package arrived for me. On the one hand I'm glad that they finally managed to realize that trying to deliver something before closing hours is a good idea. On the other hand: :wtf: is their tracker doing?

b) I also detailed my findings about trying to charge a Surface Go over USB-C and concluded (at home where my various USB-C chargers reside) with the help of a USB-C multimeter that USB-A just does not cut it. So today I returned the loaned Surface Go to the storage solution (which has this cabinet with the USB-A 10 port charger which is then connected with USB-A-to-C cables to the Surfaces) and thought to myself: "Okay, let's just try and measure what this charger is providing for shits'n'giggles."

I mean, I knew for damn sure that this thing doesn't charge the Surfaces while they're offline.

You can picture my surprise when the multimeter showed: "5 Volt, 1.01 A".

:wtf:

Turns out that the mere act of putting the multimeter between the charger and the Surface will indeed enable charging - I put it to the test: Two devices, side by side at roughly the same charge level showed the one without the meter not being charged after 15 minutes while the other improved by 5%.

Okay, now one might think: Simply buy several of those things!

But the charging process stopped after providing 500 mAh of charge.

This warrants further examination.

• ♿ (Parody)

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra What's that "Spash Screen"? Is that the Laotian version of Splash Screen? But wait, even "Spash" has too many consonants in a row for a Laotion, and "screen" is even worse; they'd rather pronounce it like "sae seen".

What's that "Laotion"? Some Asian lavatory?

Sounds like Myler Furden's brand name in the Chinese knock off of Fight Club.

• Java Dev

Famously, the Dutch word with the most consonants in a row is angstschreeuw.

• Seen at the bottom of the main page (INB4 we have a main page?)

49706749-e77b-49ec-ba6b-a7492c006ac1-image.png

Seen at the bottom of this page

2ce087e8-0175-4b99-86ba-772e1c09417b-image.png

These text are static :wtf:

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@PleegWat said in WTF Bites:

Famously, the Dutch word with the most consonants in a row is angstschreeuw.

English can't quite match that. FWIW, archchronicler is about as many as I can find with a quick grep (and ignoring foreign loanwords).

• @TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

Seen at the bottom of the main page (INB4 we have a main page?)

How do you know? They could be dynamically written on the server side.

• All of our chocolates bars are considered gluten-free (this means that they contain less than 20 ppm of gluten and are suitable for intolerant people). Our chocolate bonbons are not gluten-free. We recommend people for whom gluten is a health concern not to consume our chocolate as it may contain traces of gluten.

It's hard enough to figure out what's ok to eat and what isn't without confusing messages like this. It's gluten-free, but it might not be.

(Obviously, the safe course of action would be to avoid it, but it happens to be the world's second-best gourmet chocolate and the best that is easily available. Avoiding it would be 😢 .)

• @TwelveBaud You're sure that file's not generated as part of the build process?

If I was doing that, it'd probably be something like year(min(articles.postedDate)) through year(max(articles.postedDate)), and it'd only need to be updated when an article was posted.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@brie said in WTF Bites:

You're sure that file's not generated as part of the build process?

Considering the link shows a commit from @ben_lubar updating it from 2016 to 2017, I'd say not.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

easily available

Move to the country of chocolate and beer ...

• @Luhmann What country would that be? The best chocolate comes from Italy and France, neither of which are particularly known for beer. Not that that matters; I can't and don't drink it.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek
    You sire, made it on the shit list.
    I might even ask Polygeekery to burn your house down. After he's done with mine ... got to respect the queue.

• @Luhmann said in WTF Bites:

You sire, made it on the shit list.

Yeah. France? Italy? Chocolate? Next some bumbling fool will come and claim that Be***um makes decent chocolate too.

• @Luhmann said in WTF Bites:

You sire

Are you calling me your father or your king?

Edit: No embed?
    noun
    the male parent of an animal, especially a stallion or bull kept for breeding.
    "the sire is one of the country's top thoroughbred stallions"
    ARCHAIC
    a respectful form of address for someone of high social status, especially a king.

• BINNED

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

Seen at the bottom of the main page (INB4 we have a main page?)

I thought the second one was current.

I'll get there eventually, I'm sure.

• Considered Harmful

• @pie_flavor Closed and locked in one minute. Even Jeff isn't that quick.

• Considered Harmful

@HardwareGeek I like how they try to rationalize literally hosting the Minecraft source by 'it's been done before'.