@masonwheeler Some things that come to mind:
- With the exception of a single case, all cases in the series are decided by a judge rather than a jury.
- Prosecutors are trusted almost completely.
- ...and just the opposite for Defense attorneys.
- All trials start within 24 hours of a person being arrested.
- All trials can be at most 72 hours.
- Discovery rules are... weird and inconsistent.
and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Make no mistake, the series can be pretty fun, but don't mistake it for a real court.
Side note: All 6 of the main games in the series except the fourth game can be downloaded from the 3DS eShop. The first 3 games are also on iOS (and possibly Android).
(There's also a crossover between Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton on 3DS)
Edit: Android has games 4 and 5. iOS has games 1-3, 4, and 5. 6 and the Professor Layton crossover are still 3DS exclusives.
Edit 2: 1-3 are on Android in Japan, no clue why they aren't in English.