Gaming board games

• Continuing the discussion from Vote of No Confidence:

@tar said:

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:
    As a kid, my brother and I used to play Monopoly to the extent that we created hyper-inflation in it.

You know what, balls to this discussion about what forum software should or shouldn't allow. I want to know more about 1930's-Germany-Monopoly.

It's been so long so I barely remember, but I think it started by us ignoring the stop criterion and continued playing. At the end of the weekend we packed down the game and unpacked it next friday evening.

Continue this for a while and you run out of houses and hotels. So you decide that an upside-down hotel is worth five normal hotels. (And pray that you don't end up on Mayfair or Pall Mall).

Play only slightly longer and the bank runs out of money. Solution: start printing new money. Obviously there were too few zeros on the original currency, so you add a few more. Once these are not enough, you add even more, and pretty soon you don't care whether you land on Mayfair with its five upside-down-hotels, because that'll only cost you your smallest bill anyway.

Also, at some point, my brother started his own bank and offered better rates than the official one.

And that's about as much as I remember. Of course, it was only years later that I realised what we had done. I also suspect that if I open up the box for the game, it is ready to resume exactly where we left off thirty-odd years ago.

• @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

I think it started by us ignoring the stop criterion and continued playing

What criterion? The "if someone can't pay bills, he's out" one?

• @Gaska said:

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:
    I think it started by us ignoring the stop criterion and continued playing

What criterion? The "if someone can't pay bills, he's out" one?

As I said; it's been a long time since I played so I simply buttumed that there must have been a stop criterion. Apparently we were matched well enough never to hit that criterion -- or my brother cheated/schemed to keep me in the game.

• I played Monopoly a lot and when hotels finally come into play, it's very hard to keep the game going, since the only way to bring money into game is via loans and start bonus and prices for staying in hotel exceed those by a very large margin. Sooner or later (and rather later than sooner), someone will step on hotel thrice in a row and get rid of all his money.

• I once played Monopoly with a group of friends and found out that it doesn't work very well if you share.

We'd all negotiated deals like joint ownership of streets and rent-free deals in certain places and so on. Pretty much nobody was paying anyone anything.

• SockDev

@CarrieVS said:

Pretty much nobody was paying anyone anything.

I think you accidentally (re)invented Communism 😛

• Pretty much. Who'd have thought that would break a game called Monopoly?

• Notification Spam Recipient

"I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly." - Steven Wright

• kills Dumbledore

@CarrieVS said:

Who'd have thought that would break a game called Monopoly?

Apparently, it was originally conceived as a demonstration of why unchecked capitalism is bad, mmkay. Looks like you proved it's much nicer in a communist state

• @Jaloopa said:

Looks like you proved it's much nicer in a communist state

Well it's nice at first, when you just go around, grabbing your $200 every time, buying stuff out and keeping wild capitalists in check. But then the bank's money starts to run out, people are sitting on piles of cash but can't buy anything, the prices get ridiculously inflated, the whole game's economy goes down, and all that happens from this point on is that the government takes income tax from you and redistributes it to other players when it's possible.

So, yeah. Much nicer.

• True.

Over here in the US, we invented a better example. We call it "The US Telecommunications Industry."

• @Maciejasjmj said:

So, yeah. Much nicer.

The only winning move is not to play. Seriously, I hate that game.

• I'm not sure why this post when combined with the subject of Monopoly made me think of it... but am I the only one who has played the MAD Magazine board game?

The goal is to lose all your money. It's... quirky to say the least.

• kills Dumbledore

I used to have a similar game called Go For Broke

• @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Also, at some point, my brother started his own bank and offered better rates than the official one.

if i ever play monopoly again i'm doing that.

• Damn you @ben_lubar! "Go" used to be a perfectly normal word, until you nade me associate it with alien dwarf swarm fortress speaking lojban.

• This topic reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. Does anybody know of a good framework/engine/whatever for writing computerized versions of board games like Monopoly?

I ran across one that was somebody's thesis. It has some nice features, but also some serious flaws. No actual programming is required to make a game; gameplay can be defined through a GUI (but you can write code if you need a feature not supported by the framework). The runtime is the dev env, so players can create their own rule variations, like hyper-inflationary or Communist Monopoly.

Flaws include: It's Java. It looks like 💩. The runtime is the dev env — it's a little too configurable. You can take your Monopoly game and turn it into backgammon while you're playing.

Anybody know something better?

• SockDev

@HardwareGeek said:

You can take your Monopoly game and turn it into backgammon while you're playing.

sounds like an interesting meta game. 😛

• @HardwareGeek said:

backgammon

Backgammon is the best board game.

• @HardwareGeek said:

You can take your Monopoly game and turn it into backgammon while you're playing.

Sounds like fun, especially once BattleTech rules get written in!

"You landed on Park Place, that'll be $1500 in rent."

"My 100-ton Atlas fires its LRM-20 into your hotel. 13 of the missiles hit and your building is on fire. I use the Autocannon/20 to destroy your classic car parked out front, then fire the SRM-6 at the hotel's main entrance as all the staff and residents attempt to escape.

"Your hotel has been reduced to a smouldering pile of ashes. I re-roll the dice to determine my next move. It's a 7. Income Tax. Just wait until the IRS sees what I have in store for them..."

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.