Software problems that really ought to be solved by now

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Onyx said:

If you mean using NAT, I invite you to ping my router if you can, I'll provide the IP.

Note to self: send the public dynamic IP request form on Monday

It's still solved. You can access the internet, no?

I've had the same public 'dynamic' IP address for 4 years.

• @loopback0 said:

You can access the internet, no?

You might be able to access the Internet, but nobody on the Internet can access you...

• BINNED

@loopback0 said:

I've had the same public 'dynamic' IP address for 4 years.

But I can't access my machine from the outside world.

And my address used to change once every 24h at a minimum (if nothing crapped itself in the meantime). Now... I don't know, might be the same all the time.

EDIT: Just checked, yeah, I think it's the NAT, looks very familiar.

@tarunik said:

You might be able to access the Internet, but nobody on the Internet can access you...

Is this a real problem as a home user?

EDIT: It's also ISP dependant, clearly.

• BINNED

@loopback0 said:

To me, it is.

Hell, you keep your IPv4 address. I like IPv4 too, it's easier to remember. But I'll take the IPv6 one if it means it will work properly. I used DynDNS before, I can use it again.

• @loopback0 said:

Games, streaming, remote access, personal webspace, ...

@Onyx said:

But I can't access my machine from the outside world.

• BINNED

@tarunik said:

Games

http://robocraftgame.com does not work for me. Google would suggest NAT problems. Bad netcode? Maybe. But it's still broken.

@tarunik said:

streaming

Personally, I'll complain about that only I get better bandwidth around here :P

@tarunik said:

remote access

INB4 TeamViewer: NO!

@tarunik said:

personal webspace

Eh, not that big a deal for me personally, but I can see it, yeah.

• @Jaloopa said:

At my job, everything is done through email and lots falls through the cracks. There is an issue tracker but it's horrible and ancient so people avoid it whenever possible

Sounds familiar.
    Is your company-wide issue tracker also a ten-year-old home-grown unmaintained mess made by people who have been gone for years?

• My ideal bug tracker would make it as effortless as possible to ... track bugs.

This means I should be able to:

1. create a new bug, or update a bug by just clicking and typing - not going through some major multi-step process.
    2. reprioritize bugs relative to one another by clicking and dragging - not going through some major multi-step process.

I've never found anything that does both of these without show-stopping problems like absolutely no ownership of bugs or something insane like that.

• kills Dumbledore

@aliceif said:

Is your company-wide issue tracker also a ten-year-old home-grown unmaintained mess made by people who have been gone for years?

Yes. The wildcard syntax in the search system is also unique to the software

• @Jaloopa said:

Yes. The wildcard syntax in the search system is also unique to the software

I don't know what the %*&$ you're talking about.

16 results found for %*&$

• @Yamikuronue said:

Snip

I'm pretty sure all of the above can be done with TFS, it just requires some* customization.

My project migrated from IBM (Ir)Rational Clear*(Quest/Case/Random-word-with-hard-K-sound) to TFS and shoehorned the old process into TFS.

We had a developer dedicated full time to get all the artifacts(requirements, testing phases for tracking, custom work item fields etc) and process migrated/re-implemented. However from what I remember, he did have to come up with some wicked SQL to query the backend for some of the fields. That might have just been for mapping requirements to test cases or something. Small price to pay to get away from an VCS abomination that rivals Visual SourceSafe in frustration factor.

*quantity between 0 and FILE_NOT_FOUND

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@MathNerdCNU said:

TFS

How's that work for non-.NET shops?

• There's a plugin for Eclipse

Doesn't work too bad for the bit of Java I have to deal with.

Edit:
    TFS also has a web interface for plugging issues into. Need someone that knows ASP.NET to get custom fields/tabs but do-able.

@mott555 said:

But Redmine is Ruby on Rails and you will grow a lot of gray hair trying to get it properly installed and configured.

QFT.

Though, the other alternative is that you will repaint your desk/wall crimson red. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out where the paint comes from.

@cdosrun1 said:

Instead, ever few years we redefine what "Broadband" means, and they get the same tax breaks by upgrading the same rich, densely populated areas again.

This, very much this. Nothing like knowing my tax dollars are going to pay for gold toilets in the executive head at the companies that would be putting my company out of business, if they knew the lower exit of their large intestine from a hole in the ground.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@mott555 said:

But Redmine is Ruby on Rails and you will grow a lot of gray hair trying to get it properly installed and configured.

How long ago did you try it? I have heard that multiple times, from multiple people, but I thought it was pretty painless.

• Oh, a couple months ago I think. I've successfully installed it 3 or 4 times now in total, been a pain every time.

What was a pain? RoR or Redmine?

• Mostly RoR I think. rake this and rake that, and I have no idea what that even means. There were some dependencies to install and they had to be specific versions. Throw in a couple hand-edits to Redmine source code for bugs that were identified years ago but never fixed in the main source, and you have a somewhat complicated install that's hard to get right the first time.

• @Yamikuronue said:

How's that work for non-.NET shops?

They don't matter, those peasants.

• Version numbers.

I had a 2 hour meeting recently over it...mind you I was zoned out.

Initially it was

major.minor
    and some products (because I do embedded) that literally are so uncomplex and single ended (like it turns a light on.off) are just "single number".

Now after the geniuses have been going back and forth have come up with something like

branch-major.minor.build.subbuild.status

• @Yamikuronue said:

Yeah. The problem I have is we have very simple tracking, and people eschew it in favor of emails, which are even simpler... but provide 0 visibilty for process improvement purposes.

Spitballing here, but if you could get everyone to at least CC some email address on their bug-tracking emails, you could think about implementing some kind of natural-language data extractor tool which makes nice charts and reports on issues as they're discussed. Then again, that sounds horribly complicated...

In my experience, it was a bit of both that was the pain. I, also, have no idea what rake even means in the RoR environment, and there's basically no package-installation support for redmine (yes, I know, the windows weenie thread is ➡)

But seriously. In 2015 we can't have software that installs with a default set of options and uses the web interface that people will interact with for every day use to allow you to modify settings? Instead you have to install from source, and then find the right spot in the right .yml file, and then issue two rake commands to rebuild it or something and hope it's running right now? Blech.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Why do wikis all suck?

Someone asked the same question about forum software, and now we have Discourse. ;)

@izzion said:

But seriously. In 2015 we can't have software that installs with a default set of options and uses the web interface that people will interact with for every day use to allow you to modify settings? Instead you have to install from source, and then find the right spot in the right .yml file, and then issue two rake commands to rebuild it or something and hope it's running right now? Blech.

I completely understand you there, though I don't think it's generally practical to do that. For example, my current main product software doesn't do what you describe, but that's because it doesn't have a UI at all; it's intended to run behind very heavily customized UIs. (It's providing compute power to back up domain-specific portals. No way would our downstream customers want a generic portal…) There's a built-in admin interface, but it's not very nice (except at the ReST level).

But it does try to come with its out-of-the-box settings right, and doesn't need complicated steps to reconfigure. When you change something in the web interface, it progressively restarts its innards so that the changes are adopted automatically. The smarts are in the code, so that they don't need to be in either the users or the admins.

I totally get that there are programs for which manually edited text configuration files are basically necessary.

I dispute that any of those programs are ones where the main day to day use for everyone is a web GUI.

@izzion said:

I dispute that any of those programs are ones where the main day to day use for everyone is a web GUI.

Configuring the web GUI itself? It should be possible to a lot of that online. My colleagues that actually do that stuff seem to prefer Ruby-on-Rails and rake and all that stuff. I guess the importance drops off somewhat when you're making one-off software where the only active admin is also the developer/maintainer.

• Garbage Person

You know what? Since I'm going to be jobhunting soon, I'm going to build a bugtracker for a demo app.

And it's not going to be web based. Well, Web API for the backend, but rich clients.

@tar said:

CC some email address

Our helpdesk tool, HelpStar, has ticket-creation-by-email capabilities. That's all most people use it for, because the interface is fucking terrible, but it's the killer app that makes us loathe to go away from it for any task other than in-development defect tracking. Even though everyone hates it.

@Weng said:

And it's not going to be web based.

A million whiny bastards just cried out because web-based is all they care about.

@Yamikuronue said:

Our helpdesk tool, HelpStar, has ticket-creation-by-email capabilities.

That seems like the kind of thing you could write a front-end for--a reverse screen-scraper.

• @FrostCat said:

A million whiny bastards just cried out because web-based is all they care about.

I wonder if we should start building an OS-level emulation layer inside the browser...
    INB4 it's already been done.I know it's already been done at least once!

• @delfinom said:

branch-major.minor.build.subbuild.status

Hope none of those products are in the Windows world... (I know you said embedded, not clear if "products" implies other platforms.)

For those who don't know, windows is 16bit.16bit.16bit.16bit. Unless you're talking about installers (MSI), then it's 8bit.8bit.16bit. Just because.

• @dcon said:

Hope none of those products are in the Windows world... (I know you said embedded, not clear if "product<b>s</b>" implies other platforms.)

For those who don't know, windows is 16bit.16bit.16bit.16bit. Unless you're talking about installers (MSI), then it's 8bit.8bit.16bit. Just because.

Nah, this is all low level C type stuff, nothing to do OSes in the slightest.

• This is more of a process problem, but it amazes me that so many developers will be working on a branch of code, but be working with the normal dev database.

• @chubertdev said:

This is more of a process problem, but it amazes me that so many developers will be working on a branch of code, but be working with the normal dev database.

Where I currently work, that's how I have to do it. The CIO does not permit local DB instances. All development and testing must be done against the singular test DB, which makes things really difficult when you have branches that are not yet compatible.

• @abarker said:

Where I currently work, that's how I have to do it. The CIO does not permit local DB instances. All development and testing must be done against the singular test DB, which makes things really difficult when you have branches that are not yet compatible.

I wish I was more DB-savvy enough to know the tools that allow you to diff/merge the DBs, but with Redgate tools, it should be relatively easy.

• @chubertdev said:

I wish I was more DB-savvy enough to know the tools that allow you to diff/merge the DBs, but with Redgate tools, it should be relatively easy.

I agree. But I've given up on trying to win that fight. Or really any fight at this place.

• @abarker said:

I agree. But I've given up on trying to win that fight. Or really any fight at this place.

You should come work at my place. Rule #1 is to drink beer. Rule #2 is to........well, I'll let you know what it is when I find it.

• @chubertdev said:

You should come work at my place. Rule #1 is to drink beer.

Can I substitute root beer? Or Pepsi? Seeing that I don't drink alcohol.

• @abarker said:

Can I substitute root beer? Or Pepsi? Seeing that I don't drink alcohol.

Sorry, we only have Coke.

• @chubertdev said:

• Oh wait, we have Faygo root beer.

• @chubertdev said:

Oh wait, we have Faygo root beer.

Never tried Faygo ... :curious:

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@chubertdev said:

Rule #1 is to drink beer.

Every time I stay late my boss brings me beer. I love my current job.

• @abarker said:

The CIO does not permit local DB instances.

We would be permitted, I think, but we use Oracle, so.... See DO NOT WANT a few posts back.

@abarker said:

which makes things really difficult when you have branches that are not yet compatible.

Me too. :sadface:

That emoticon is terrible.

@chubertdev said:

• My company has some GOOD benefits.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Why do wikis all suck?

Because simplicity and features are conflicting requirements. Applies to the cases below as well.

MediaWiki adds features WikiPedia wants, but then it's too complicated for many other purposes.

@Yamikuronue said:

See also: Bug tracking. Everyone who writes software has to track bugs somewhere, and yet every major bug tracker has huge problems. WTF?

Because bug tracking is a people problem and can't be solved with technology. Bug tracker simply needs somebody (team leader or quality manager or someone like that) to actively maintain it. Then it still needs to fit into the workflow, so there is no one solution suitable for everybody, and it needs to be as simple to use as possible, but you can usually find a decent fit as long as anybody is willing to do the constant triage.

I've heard the best bug tracker is FogBugz, but I did not try it because it does not seem our boss would be willing to buy it anyway.

@Yamikuronue said:

Oh! Also! Test management. I have tests in word documents. I want to track manual and automated execution. I don't want to convert my existing automated scripts into some proprietary language. I'm SOL.

Back when I worked in Siemens they had in-house tool for it and it seemed to work mostly fine.

In this job I tried to look for something and ran across testlink, which does similar thing over web API (the Siemens thing was a Java application). We have it installed, but the tester never really had time and interest in learning to use it properly. Again, it can only work if somebody organizes it's use.

Eventually we ended up using Trello for both. It's very primitive, but it has an advantage that it's easier to learn and use and the thing you really need is defining the workflow and the team lead prodding people to following it.