Laidlaw's Rule

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Belgariad: Pawn of Prophecy.

Prologue?

WHEN THE WORLD was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man were as one people. And then the murders began.

Or first chapter?

THE FIRST THING the boy Garion remebered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm. And then the murders began.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@fbmac said in Laidlaw's Rule:

I suspect the 3rd to be design patterns

You mean the book by Gamma et al.? Nah, that one starts with:

Designing object-oriented software is hard, and designing reusable object-oriented software is even harder. And then the murders began.

• I think you can do it at the beginning of every chapter.

The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer. And then the murders began.

"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. And then the murders began.

Catelyn had never liked this godswood. And then the murders began.

Her brother held the gown up for her inspection. And then the murders began.

• 0_1489158079033_IMG_20170310_090024.jpg

How many times have you felt overwhelmed by life only to look over and see your cat sprawled out on your coffee table, enjoying hour five of his third nap of the day? And then the murders began.

• Long ago, the War of the Magi reduced the world to a scorched wasteland, and Magic simply ceased to exist. And then the murders began.

• ♿ (Parody)

Get your financial help here @ 2% low rate. And then begin the murders.

• Impossible Mission - B

Trying with the major works of the Cosmere corpus:

Elantris

Elantris was beautiful, once. It was called the city of the gods: a place of power, radiance, and magic. Visitors say that the very stones glowed with an inner light, and that the city contained wondrous arcane marvels. At night, Elantris shone like a silvery fire, visible even from a great distance.
    And then the murders began.

Mistborn

Ash fell from the sky. And then the murders began.

Warbreaker

It’s funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison. And then the murders began.

The Way of Kings

Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast. And then the murders began.

(Or, as the author has said that the story has 3 introductions before the narrative begins:)

Szeth-son-son-Vallano, truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king. The white clothing was a Parshendi tradition, foreign to him. But he did as his masters required and did not ask for an explanation. And then the murders began.

"I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked. And then the murders began.

• The crows sat down in the exam hall, the invigilator gave the signal to start. And then the murders began.

• Book I'm currently reading, and thus the only one I have at hand while at work:

In the year 1878 I took my degree of doctor of medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army. And then the murders began.

All things considered that's actually quite promising. Tempting to start plotting a fanfic (though I doubt I'd actually bother to write it) which capitalises on that. With a character named Laidlaw, naturally.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Found another one:

Except for her sunglasses, Berry is naked. And then the murders begin…

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@masonwheeler You seem to be having trouble with the concept of "first" ;)

• Impossible Mission - B

@Yamikuronue I'm just taking some liberties with the definition of "line" to improve the flow a little.

• @Yamikuronue Frist Post! And then the murders began.

• Dwarf Fortress is a game for Windows, Linux and Mac, developed by Bay 12 Games featuring two modes of play, as well as distinct, randomly-generated worlds (complete with terrain, wildlife and legends), gruesome combat mechanics and ubiquitous alcohol dependency by dwarves. And then the murders began.

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. And then the murders began.

• In London, where Southampton Row passes Russell Square, across from the British Museum in Bloomsbury, Leo Szilard waited irritably one gray Depression morning for the stoplight to change. And then the murders began.

• The trawler plunged into the angry swells of the dark, furious sea like an awkward animal trying desperately to break out of an impenetrable swamp. And then the murders began.

Call me Ishmael. And then the murders began.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

• 🚽 Regular

Fuck you. Give me money. And then the murders begin.

• @Lorne-Kates coming from you it looks extra frightening

• @fbmac said in Laidlaw's Rule:

@Lorne-Kates coming from you it looks extra frightening And then the murders began.

FTFY

• FoxDev

Have we started a new meme here? And then the murders began.

• Okay, took the book closest to hand.

There are two approaches to quantum mechanics. And then the murders begin.

I'll be damned. Works even with text books :)

• @hungrier on that note:

John, by the grace of God King of England, Lord of Ireland, Duke of Normandy and Aquitaine and Count of Anjou, to his archbishops, bishops, abbots, earls, barons, justices, foresters, sheriffs, stewards, servants and to all his officials and loyal subjects, greeting. And then the murders began.

• ♿ (Parody)

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. Let the murders begin.

• @RaceProUK said in Laidlaw's Rule:

Have we started a new meme here? And then the murders began.

Amazing. There appears to be no book for which it doesn't work:

HERE is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. And then the murders begin.

• BINNED

@da-Doctah CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

During the winter of 1927–28 officials of the Federal government made a strange and secret investigation of certain conditions in the ancient Massachusetts seaport of Innsmouth. And then the murders began.

• ♿ (Parody)

Today I consider it my good fortune that Fate designated Braunau on the Inn as the place of my birth. And now the murders begin.

• @da-Doctah it doesn't work very well for the one I am currently reading, but there is bound to be exceptions:

In London, we are all time travellers, however unwitting. And then the murders began.

• Sometimes they just write themselves:

For thirteen years, off and on, there has been war in Europe; but now, in 1806, there is an uneasy peace. And then the murders began.

In the nighttime heart of Beirut, in one of a row of general-address transfer booths, Louis Wu flicked into reality. And then the murders began.

This tale grew in the telling, until it became a history of the Great War of the Ring and included many glimpses of the yet more ancient history that preceded it. And then the murders began.

Or, if we're skipping the forward...

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton. And then the murders began.

"NINETY-EIGHT, NINETY-NINE, ONE HUNDRED" Gloria withdrew her chubby little forearm from before her eyes and stood for a moment, wrinkling her nose and blinking in the sunlight. And then the murders began.

In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul. And then the murders began.

Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. And then the murders began.

By human standards it could not possibly have been artificial: It was the size of a world. And then the murders began.

Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. And then the murders began.

"What's it going to be then, eh?"
    There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim. And you don't need me to tell you how the rest of this one goes.

In the dying days of the Gzilt civilisation, before its long prepared-for elevation to something better and the celebrations to mark this momentous but joyful occasion, one of its last surviving ships encountered an alien vessel whose sole task was to deliver a very special party-goer to the festivities. And then the murders began.

And then the murders began. She made her way through the turbine hall, surrounded by an ever-changing ring of friends, admirers and animals -- talking to her guests, giving instructions to her staff, making suggestions and offering compliments to the many and various entertainers.

@darkmatter and @mikeTheLiar. And then the murders began.

• :belt_onion:

@loopback0
    The world always seemed a dangerous place. Then the murders began.

• Holy Diver, you've been down too long in the midnight sea
    And then the murders began

• Garbage Person

Microsoft SQL Server is Microsoft's premier database management system, and SQL Server 2012 is the most powerful and feature-rich version yet. And then the murders began.

• (Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Internals)

When as by the travail and diligence of some godly and zealous preachers, and God's blessing upon their labors, as in other places of the land, so in the north parts many became enlightened by the word of God and had their ignorance and sins discovered unto them, and began by his grace to reform their lives and make conscience of their ways. And then the murders began.

• (Plymouth Plantation, WtfCorp Classics Special Gilded Edition)

• FoxDev

• Mary Fischer loathed Whitfield Diffie on sight. And then the murders began.

(Steven Levy, Crypto)

By the time he graduated from college, John Smith had forgotten all about the bad fall he took on the ice that January day in 1953. And then the murders began.

(Stephen King, The Dead Zone)

The dear Queen had finally gone to her reward, and King Edward VII was enjoying himself immensely as he reigned over the Empire upon which the sun never set. And then the murders began.

(John D. Clark, Ignition)

• kills Dumbledore

Some books in my Kindle recent list

THE MORRIS DANCE is common to all inhabited worlds in the multiverse. And then the murders began

Other pratchett books work better i think.

“Take her would you, Daniel?” asked Kate. And then the murders began

This is basically the plot of the book

• "Neigh!" said a horse.
    "Quack!" said a duck.
    "Beep!" said the friendly
    Little Blue Truck.

• One fish two fish red fish blue fish. And then the murders began.

• I am Sam. And then the murders began.

• The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house All that cold, cold, wet day. And then the murders began.

• In the great green room there was a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of the cow jumping over the moon and there were three little bears sitting on chairs and two little kittens and a pair of mittens and a little toyhouse and a young mouse and a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush and a quiet old lady who was whispering "hush". And then the murders began.

• Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? And then the murders began.

• In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf. And then the murders began.

• Once there was a tree and she loved a little boy. And then the murders began.

• Impossible Mission - B

@Rhywden said in Laidlaw's Rule:

Okay, took the book closest to hand.

There are two approaches to quantum mechanics. And then the murders begin.

I'll be damned. Works even with text books :)

He's both murdered and not-murdered until you open the box and look inside...

• @dangeRuss said in Laidlaw's Rule:

In the great green room there was a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of the cow jumping over the moon and there were three little bears sitting on chairs and two little kittens and a pair of mittens and a little toyhouse and a young mouse and a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush and a quiet old lady who was whispering "hush". And then the murders began.

In the bright buzzing room there was an iPad and a kid playing Doom and a screensaver of a bird launching over the moon. There were three little Nooks with ten thousand books and a huge LCD Wi-Fi HDTV with Bose 5.1, six remotes, and 3-D. And then the murders began.

• :belt_onion:

As long as 340 B.C. Aristotle, in his book On the Heavens, was able to put forward two good arguments for believing that the Earth was a round ball rather than a flat plate. And then the murders began.

-- Stephen Hawking, A Theory of Everything

• FoxDev

In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf. And then the murders began.

-- The Very Hungry Caterpillar