WTF Bites

• Notification Spam Recipient

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra Does JS not have a mod operator?

It does, of course.

And even if it didn't, you could still get away with just multiply and divide.

• 🚽 Regular

@Tsaukpaetra You can only resp once?

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra Does JS not have a mod operator?

I imagine there's a Node package for it.

Implemented using long division on the decimal string representation.

• Java Dev

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

e882feee-96a4-4f26-adc5-5a8103ee7722-image.png

I managed to freeze up the whole tab by setting time to a rather large number. GG Javascript!

I did that once. In my defense, I was 15, and that was TI basic which indeed does not have a mod operator.

@PleegWat said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

e882feee-96a4-4f26-adc5-5a8103ee7722-image.png

I managed to freeze up the whole tab by setting time to a rather large number. GG Javascript!

I did that once. In my defense, I was 15, and that was TI basic which indeed does not have a mod operator.

I did that without a mod operator using division and multiplication, and my code still looked nothing like that!

• WTF of my day: So I signed up for one of those cooking boxes services. Y'know, where they deliver you the ingredients for 3 to 5 meals - it's nice because you then don't have 5/6 of a glass of sesame paste in your fridge forever because you don't know what else to do with the stuff.

It's actually rather nice - you choose a timeslot (3 hours wide), then choose the meals for next week (about 12 are regular (i.e. no extra costs), another 12 are special ones (with varying price increases from 1€ to 12€), the meals are never the same from week to week) and then you wait. On the day of delivery you get another email telling you a more precise time estimate (reduces the window to 20 minutes) and shortly before delivery you get an SMS that the courier is almost there (in my case I got the SMS and the doorbell rang a minute later).

The receipes are a bit more involved than what I'd usually cook for myself but not overly so, and that's kind of the point, isn't it?

Anyways, the first receipe (chicken breast with diced sweet potato) worked fine though I was a bit confused at two points:
    a) One step told me to chop the parsley and then put half of it aside. Said half then never was mentioned anymore.
    b) Another step told me to bake the diced potato in the oven for 23-25 minutes. A later step then told me to put the chicken breast next to the potatoes and bake it for 14-18 minutes. It did not tell me, however, if that was supposed to be 23+14 minutes or 23 minutes total with the chicken added at minute 9. (I decided on the latter and it worked out).

Well, their receipe told me to give them feedback - so I did. Which is where the :wtf: comes into play:

I received the answer:

Hey rhywden, thanks for your message. Unfortunately I might make it claerer for you. Did you know that many answers can be found in our FAQ? [...]

Yes, the second sentence really was formulated like that with regards to meaning and spelling.

So, either they're using a Bot which they programmed with both a logical and a spelling error. Or there actually was someone on the other end, manually writing this without reading what I actually wrote. :wtf:

• @Rhywden Turns out that it was a real person writing this. Because I just got another email with the subject "How would you rate your recent contact with our customer service representative?"

Let's just say that Jamal did not score very high.

• Considered Harmful

Quad9 DNS returns SERVFAIL for dilbert.com 😠

• Java Dev

Apple, in their infinite logic, uses a very special way of sorting countries in a list. They are sorting the countries alphabetically by english name, which makes sense when the language is english. Not so much when the language is swedish.

• 🚽 Regular

@Atazhaia Is it possible they are sorting on something else, like country ISO code?

Oh, who am I kidding?

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Apple, in their infinite logic, uses a very special way of sorting countries in a list. They are sorting the countries alphabetically by english name, which makes sense when the language is english. Not so much when the language is swedish.

The amount of sites and applications which do that is astoundingly high. I regularly scroll through to Gambia because I know that "Deutschland" won't be found under D.

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

The amount of sites and applications which do that is astoundingly high. I regularly scroll through to Gambia because I know that "Deutschland" won't be found under D.

In some ways it can make sense. Then when you accidentally select Chinese, you know your country is still the 3rd (whatever) one down. (except, of course, you don't know which entry is yours because we don't do it often enough - unless you're a dev or in QA)

I suddenly feel lucky to live in a country whose name is invariant by English translation.

• People actually manually scroll those lists? I usually just type the first few letters, and when the correct language or country is highlighted hit enter.
    Sometimes it doesn't work, but surprisingly often it does. One thing those new breeds of UX retards haven't fucked up yet.

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

One thing those new breeds of UX retards haven't fucked up yet.

nOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!

• Banned

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

People actually manually scroll those lists? I usually just type the first few letters, and when the correct language or country is highlighted hit enter.
    Sometimes it doesn't work, but surprisingly often it does. One thing those new breeds of UX retards haven't fucked up yet.

The problem is when you can only type the first letter (as in, typing other letter just scrolls you to where languages start with this letter) and there are multiple blocks of "D" languages.

• WTF of my day: So, the EpicStore has GTA V for free. Okay, that's a deal, let's take it.

tl;dr: Jesus Christ, am I glad that I didn't pay money for that shit.

*clicks on the GTA V icon on the desktop* First, this "Rockstar Social Club". Nice, I've got to have an additional launcher for one singular game. Seems we need to create yet another acount. Okay, so let's just prove that I'm not a robot.

Yes, I selected all the crosswalks. And all the firehydrants. And all the busses. And all the crosswalks again. And all the traffic lights. And all the traffic lights with this 5 second delay. And all the crosswalks. And all the busses.

Okay, now I'm signed in. Hmmh, let me check something else out ... (*clicks on close*) Okay, now, back to the game. *clicks on the Rockstar Games Launcher icon on the desktop*

What do you mean, sign in? I was signed in! Okay, check the "Keep signed in" button and prove that I'm not a robot again. Five minutes later: Jesus! Let's hope it sticks this time!

Sometime later: *clicks on the GTA V icon on the desktop*: What do you mean: "Sign in?" *clicks on the Rockstar Games Launcher icon on the desktop* But I am signed in? :wtf: Who developed this? Lobotomized monkeys?

*finally launches GTA V* Okay, so even I explicitly selected "English", everything's in German. Great. But before I look up on how to change this (because the Settings do not contain a language selection, of course!) let's fix the resolution. "Windowed Fullscreen Borderless" should work fine!

Oh, I see: We haven't yet figured out how to change graphic settings without requiring a complete restart! Okay? Let's see how this turns out...

704fda21-25b5-443b-8fc1-23a9e1dcb558-image.png

Well, that's certainly "Windowed". And "Borderless" applies as well. However, I'm kind of missing the "Fullscreen" part...

• BINNED

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Lobotomized monkeys?

You mean the IT industry?

• @Rhywden Meanwhile, five or so years ago:

hungrier Hey, a discounted copy of GTA V that activates on Steam
    R* Good work logging in, lets download 60 GB of game files and another 30 GB update
    🕐 🕝 🕓
    R* All done, you can play it now
    hungrier Sweet

• Considered Harmful

@hungrier Tbh, last time I played, it still liked to start at the correct resolution, but er... borderful windowed every time.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@Rhywden Meanwhile, five or so years ago:

hungrier Hey, a discounted copy of GTA V that activates on Steam
    R* Good work logging in, lets download 60 GB of game files and another 30 GB update
    🕐 🕝 🕓
    R* All done, you can play it now
    hungrier Sweet

Even on release it had the stupid extra launcher. I don't rememer it being that problematic though.

• @Applied-Mediocrity It also insists on doing this "contrast calibration" every. single. time.

• @loopback0 It did have its own launcher, but FWIW it didn't give me any trouble

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

Even on release it had the stupid extra launcher. I don't rememer it being that problematic though.

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

It did have its own launcher, but FWIW it didn't give me any trouble

OK so I still had GTA 5 installed and just fired it up for the first time since August last year.

The Rockstar Social Club launcher that it had originally is no more. It's now the Rockstar Games Launcher which does still use the Social Club account but is otherwise separate. It even installs to a different folder without removing the original one.
    This new one has the reCAPTCHA mentioned above which asks for you to select traffic lights or crosswalks far too many times.
    Having finally passed it, it finally refuses to log in claiming "Error response received from Steam. Please try again later". This also resets the reCAPTCHA so you need to do it again to attempt another login.

5 attempts later, it's not errored but seems to be stuck at an animated Rockstar logo.

edit: If you launch the Rockstar Games Launcher directly and not from Steam you get the "Remember Me" and "Auto Sign In" boxes that aren't present if you launch from Steam. But then hitting the button to play GTA 5 launches Steam first then launches the game.

• Banned

I wonder if it's because they've since got rid of all the extra login servers that they've had at launch and didn't think that making GTA free is going to bring massive surge of new accounts.

Also, yesterday the entire Epic Store kept throwing error 500 at me. In different languages. As in, the "back to store" button on error page first brought me to error page in Brazilian, then in English, and then in Russian.

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Also, yesterday the entire Epic Store kept throwing error 500 at me. In different languages. As in, the "back to store" button on error page first brought me to error page in Brazilian, then in English, and then in Russian.

Yeah it seems to cycle languages. The best bit was when it finally loaded the actual page which was in the same random language and not English.

• Banned

@loopback0 yup. And then I've done search and it errored in Polish.

• :belt_onion:

The first report of an attack came to light on Monday from the University of Edinburgh, which runs the ARCHER supercomputer. The organization reported "security exploitation on the ARCHER login nodes," shut down the ARCHER system to investigate, and reset SSH passwords to prevent further intrusions.

A quick Google of ARCHER:

The ARCHER facility is based around a Cray XC30 supercomputer, with 4,920 nodes, each node containing two 2.7 GHz, 12-core E5-2697 v2 (Ivy Bridge) series processors with 64GB of memory

At zero load the compute nodes on ARCHER draw approximately 400 kW of power and at full load they draw approximately 1200 kW of power.

Nice!!

@El_Heffe The stupid thing is that typical cryptominers aren't able to make much use of the power of those machines, as they need to talk to the internet and the majority of nodes can't (they're set up to do lots of floating point math and MPI). The intrusion would have shown up rather clearly too; CPU loads of head nodes are tracked separately (from the rest of the cluster) and by user anyway, as the operators want to know who is using these things wrongly and needs training.

I used to work with people who ran a supercomputer centre. (Then we lost that contract to some of the people mentioned in that article.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

SSH passwords

:doing_it_wrong:

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

CPU loads of head nodes are tracked separately (from the rest of the cluster) and by user anyway, as the operators want to know who is using these things wrongly and needs training.

Yeah, this. If you ever get to work on a cluster, make sure to avoid the #1 mistake that will make you look like a total noob: don't run your computations on the login node(s). One of the local clusters used to have (perhaps still has) a wall-of-shame in their admin offices which tracked the monthly offenders and made fun of them.

• BINNED

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

CPU loads of head nodes are tracked separately (from the rest of the cluster) and by user anyway, as the operators want to know who is using these things wrongly and needs training.

Yeah, this. If you ever get to work on a cluster, make sure to avoid the #1 mistake that will make you look like a total noob: don't run your computations on the login node(s). One of the local clusters used to have (perhaps still has) a wall-of-shame in their admin offices which tracked the monthly offenders and made fun of them.

Apparently our admins aren’t on their heels with tracking enough, because I once wrote a stern email myself to someone running on the login node.

• @topspin I remember having jobs bounced from the queue/killed at startup because I didn't set the nodes properly (ie was trying to run on login node) when I ran jobs on the University of Florida's cluster. But that's been....a long time now, so I may have the details wrong. I was, and still am, a total noob when approaching heavy scientific computing.

• 🚽 Regular

I know there's no Brazilian language, but the URL specifically contained pt-BR code

There is a Brazilian language, even though it is called Portuguese. It is similar, but not exact equal, to the Portuguese used in Portugal, and much to our chagrin it is much more widely used, what with Brazil's population being 20 times our own.

• Banned

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

I know there's no Brazilian language, but the URL specifically contained pt-BR code

There is a Brazilian language, even though it is called Portuguese. It is similar, but not exact equal, to the Portuguese used in Portugal, and much to our chagrin it is much more widely used, what with Brazil's population being 20 times our own.

What would you call the language used by Americans? You know, the one similar but not exactly equal to the language used in England?

• BINNED

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

What would you call the language used by Americans? You know, the one similar but not exactly equal to the language used in England?

13DF239F-0A39-4A8D-AAA8-692B2C28E60D.jpeg

However, I'm kind of missing the "Fullscreen" part...

"Please change your Window settings to 800x600."

“English (Simplified)” :tro-pop:

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Oh, I see: We haven't yet figured out how to change graphic settings without requiring a complete restart! Okay? Let's see how this turns out...

What makes this even funnier is that Alt+Enter works just fine to do exactly that...

• Status: :headdesk: (post was going to be posted in Status thread originally, but I decided to move it)

Background:
    Our product uses an ESP8266 module for a maintenance WiFi. Since it's cheaper than Bluetooth or USB. Easily controlled via AT commands. You know, put it in Access Point mode, and serve a simple HTTP page. Now every cellphone is a configuration and error-log-download tool. Yay. Life is easy.

Then today:
    I'm told that we were supposed to ship a batch of ******** to a customer in ********** already last month. But they couldn't configure the product at the factory, since the WiFi doesn't work. So they're now all here at the office, and I'm supposed to figure out why no WiFi.

So I launch a debugger, and it quickly becomes apparent that the module does not communicate at all. OK; logic analyzer time.
    I get the electronics engineer to solder some leads to the module. (I could do the soldering myself, but he's the one that insists on not designing debug points into the HW, so he gets to sand the traces and solder the tapwires.)

Found issue 1: It's communicating at the wrong baudrate. OK... did they change the baudrate..? No biggie, I can detect that at runtime and issue the AT command for permanently changing the default baudrate. (9600baud vs 115200baud, so wan't going to leave it as-is.)

Still doesn't work. Let's analyze the traffic we managed to capture, now that we know the baudrate.

WiFiSNAFU.png

In case you can't read that small text, it says: "stdin:2: '=' expected after AT\r\n> ".

Found issue 2: That's definitely not AT!!!

So at this point, I switch from logic analyzer to a plain terminal emulator. Figured I'd best just talk to the damn module and ask what's up.

WIFISNAFU2.png

:facepalm:

Yeah. Found root issue. The ESP module is not running the standard issue firmware. Turns out, Digikey sells Adafruit-supplied modules with NodeMCU. And the sourcing guys didn't know better; we'd never explicitly told them which firmware the module is supposed to have. Or how to make sure that it has that.

• @MrL said in WTF Bites:

Removed tests project, because they fail.

That's bad, really bad.
    Look, my colleagues are smarter: they think that he who wrote the tests in the first place is the guy responsible for fixing them when they broke his tests.
    Oh, occasionally, Jim commented all those Asserts out from a row of tests. Now they don't fail anymore...
    So the tests stay available.

@BernieTheBernie We had masses of tests when I started. They weren't being run. (No failures!) So I turned on running them and promptly discovered that many of the tests were either asserting that true == true (such useful! much wow) or that true == false and were being skipped with the comment “demonstration of test skipping”.

Much worse were the tests that were obviously written for a version of the code that apparently only existed for about two weeks around five years ago (from today, not from when I was looking at them), and which had been broken ever since. In a few cases, we were able to fix things, but in many others the only thing we could do was to throw the test code away as it relied on assumptions that were just utterly gone. We now have lots of tests, but many of them are integration tests that require special setup to do (and a few can only be done by people in interactive use because automated testing of GUIs is a mug's game).

• @Zerosquare The Libre Office installer includes language support for three variants of English - those two, and also a variant for South Africa. I wonder which is the simplified version in the joke then?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-18/softbank-vision-fund-books-17-7-billion-loss-on-wework-uber

SoftBank Vision Fund Posts $17.7 Billion Loss

SoftBank Group Corp. said its Vision Fund business lost 1.9 trillion yen ($17.7 billion) last fiscal year after writing down the value of investments, including WeWork and Uber Technologies Inc.

Apparently, the "Vision Fund" could use some new glasses. :rimshot:

• @El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-18/softbank-vision-fund-books-17-7-billion-loss-on-wework-uber

SoftBank Vision Fund Posts $17.7 Billion Loss

SoftBank Group Corp. said its Vision Fund business lost 1.9 trillion yen ($17.7 billion) last fiscal year after writing down the value of investments, including WeWork and Uber Technologies Inc.

Apparently, the "Vision Fund" could use some new glasses. :rimshot:

df5d32e3-9da1-4c9b-a2fc-c3fa298d9b2b-image.png

• @brie said in WTF Bites:

Ran out of space on my C: drive today.

That's not the WTF, though.

Naturally, I ran the built-in-to-Windows disk cleanup utility. Told it to clean up system files. It said that something like 34 GB could be freed (~29% of the total space). Sounds good. Ok.

It only freed ~5 GB.

Disbelieving, I ran it again. Now it said that ~29 GB could be freed.

Ok...

It freed ~4 GB.

Ran it fucking again. You're starting to see the WTF now, aren't you?

In the end, it ended up freeing about as much space as it initially told me that it could free... but it took running it something like 10 times!!

In hindsight, that's why I ran out of space. In the past, I've ran the disk cleanup utility when it complained about low free space, but it never fucking occurred to me that running disk cleanup multiple times could possibly be more effective than just running it once and calling it good.

It complained that the SSD was getting too full again. This time, expecting shenanigans, I armed myself with screenshots...

Initially, the drive had 20.1 GB free, and Disk Cleanup said it could free 37.3 GB.
    1.png

After running it once, the drive had 24.1 GB free, and Disk Cleanup said it could still free 28.1 GB.
    2.png

Twice, and the drive had 28.2 GB free, while Disk Cleanup still said it could free 24.1 GB.
    3.png

32.2 GB free, Disk Cleanup said it could still free 20.1 GB.
    4.png

36.2 GB free, Disk Cleanup said it could free 16.1 GB.
    5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

After running it 8 times, the drive had 52.3 GB free and Disk Cleanup said it could free 137 MB.
    9.png

And running it an additional time didn't significantly change the situation, so I considered it done...
    10.png

The category that kept going down each time I ran it was the one called "Temporary Files," as if it matters any.

@brie said in WTF Bites:

"Temporary Files,"

So, it probably encountered an IO error (you know, some program using a file in the temp directory. The nerve!) and cancelled that category before completion.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

you know, some program using a file in the temp directory. The nerve!

Like Explorer.