WTF Bites

• Another WTF: In what I assume is everyone's breathless rush to kill Java, there seems to be no way to get a browser with a Java plugin on current versions of Lunix. Firefox (seemingly) can't do it at all since a bunch of major versions ago, Chromium (also apparently) can't do it. Palemoon supposedly can, but current releases of openjdk and icedtea-plugin don't have the necessary library to add to the browser plugin directory.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@hungrier I don't think Sun and/or Oracle ever gave the source to the Plugin to the OpenJDK people, and I don't think the OpenJDK people wanted it either.

• @dkf From what I've read while trying to figure this out, icedtea was supposed to be that for OpenJDK. But apparently it doesn't have the actual browser plugin library any more.

@hungrier The main issue is that virtually nobody actually wants the plugin any more. If you want to do funky stuff in a browser, javascript is right there and mostly works. Anything that that doesn't work for, you probably shouldn't be doing in a browser…

• ♿ (Parody)

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

Another WTF: In what I assume is everyone's breathless rush to kill Java, there seems to be no way to get a browser with a Java plugin on current versions of Lunix

Another WTF: Why are you looking for one?

• Considered Harmful

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

there seems to be no way to get a browser with a Java plugin on current versions of Lunix

:doing_it_wrong: You don't need that.

• @dkf @boomzilla I'm trying to see if client's VPN portal will work on Linux, because that would have theoretically saved me the headache of figuring out some Rube Goldberg contraption where I would connect to the VPN in one Windows VM and tunnel another (Linux) VM through that. For extra bonus fun points, the Windows VM runs in VMWare and the Linux one in Virtualbox. However, the roadblock I ran into when trying to do the thing in Linux is that the VPN connection mechanism wants to run Java in the browser. In Windows I can just use IE to access the thing and connect, and everything works fine.

I'm really hoping that they can find a spare machine to let me work on this project, because the setup is more complicated than what I was using for other projects for this client, where just the one Windows VM was enough.

• @boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

My bet is on running some clunky timesheet software, or something just as depressing.

EDIT: :hanzo:

the VPN connection mechanism wants to run Java in the browser

Ick!

• ♿ (Parody)

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

there seems to be no way to get a browser with a Java plugin on current versions of Lunix

:doing_it_wrong: You don't need that.

I'm just trying to uncover the bigger wtfs.

However, the roadblock I ran into when trying to do the thing in Linux is that the VPN connection mechanism wants to run Java in the browser.

Which VPN? I've worked around some silliness like that in the past.

• @boomzilla Pulse Secure Network Connect

• da637c19-e840-4fe0-887b-254d2293687d-image.png

• ♿ (Parody)

@boomzilla Pulse Secure Network Connect

Yep. Back when we used it, this is what I did to make it work:

It's been a few years and we probably didn't keep up with the latest versions anyways so I don't know if it's still relevant.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Another WTF: In what I assume is everyone's breathless rush to kill Java, there seems to be no way to get a browser with a Java plugin on current versions of Lunix

He's doing online banking. 😉

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

people who don't want to deal with shit breaking all the time

I think those people are still using pen and paper.

• @dcon Then you just have to deal with different breaking things, like your pen running out of ink. 🤷♂

• @Mason_Wheeler said in WTF Bites:

like your pen running out of ink

• :belt_onion:

• @El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

Meatless Pepperoni

:rolleyes:

• @TimeBandit What?

20b28bd1-c41f-4ebd-ace9-4b85339d7cfd-image.png

:trollface:

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra Did you try the venerable handle.exe? I think it is this one. That's what I always used to troubleshoot this kind of issues.

Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) can also search for the process that's holding the handle.

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

Ah, so it's the timestamping cutoff? As in, if you signed a driver you built using Windows 8.1 Driver Kit and tried to load it on Windows 10 it would not work because of the signing date? I wonder if it would be possible to timestamp with the date in the past to work around that.

You'd have to find a public timestamping server that's willing to lie about the date for that to work, and those servers are controlled by the same companies you buy EV certs from so I don't think you'd pull it off.

• 🚽 Regular

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier The main issue is that virtually nobody actually wants the plugin any more. If you want to do funky stuff in a browser, javascript is right there and mostly works. Anything that that doesn't work for, you probably shouldn't be doing in a browser…

There's probably someone out there crazy enough to— actually let me do quick search. Yep.

https://www.amys.com/our-foods/gluten-free-vegan-meatless-pepperoni-pizza

:wtf:

Amy's is one of my favorite brands for gluten-free dishes. Some of them are pretty good.

I haven't tried their vegan pizza, but based on other vegan, gluten-free pizza I did try (accidentally; I saw that it was gluten-free but didn't read the rest of the label carefully enough), I'm going to say a big NOPE! to to that. Vegan "cheese" can DIAF.

• :belt_onion:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

Amy's is one of my favorite brands for gluten-free dishes. Some of them are pretty good.

I'm going to say a big NOPE! to to that. Vegan "cheese" can DIAF.

I found that website because I recently bought some sliced pepperoni and it said "Gluten Free" in big letters on the label. I wasn't even sure what gluten is, so I Goggled it:

Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat, graham, rye, barley and triticale – a cross between wheat and rye.

and I thought "Why in the :wtf: would there be gluten in pepperoni"? At first I figured it was just a scam to use the latest buzzwords in marketing {Gluten Free). But, it turns out that gluten is often used as a binder in many foods including, apparently, pepperoni 🤷♂

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

Not to mention that many companies have their "visual identity" (whatever that means) and they use MS fonts in all their written correspondence and documents as part of it.

Or that ugly shit of a font Roboto.

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

it won't work on Windows Server 2016 and 2019 -- it's Windows 10 only.

Ya do know that "Server 2016 and 2019" is actually just Windows 10 Server, right? Why wouldn't it work? 😕

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

In what I assume is everyone's breathless rush to kill Java, there seems to be no way to get a browser with a Java plugin on current versions of Lunix.

Is there a way to get one on anything? Chrome killed it a loooong time ago (2014), Mozilla followed suit in 2017, and since everything else is blink-based these days. I guess a legacy IE is the last one. Well, you can install something 4+ years old on Linux too—it will run and if you have problems putting the libraries together, there are always containers.

"Why in the :wtf: would there be gluten in pepperoni"?

But there is normally plenty of gluten in the pizza dough!

• 🚽 Regular

Zecc starts Crypt of the Necrodancer for the first time
    intro starts
    wome dialogue I can't hear because the volume is too low
    Zecc presses volume up key
    Key pressed! Intro skipped!

• WTF of my day: So, the panic buying has begun over here.

da3767e7-2cd6-4d8a-bfc6-239d3a769ec0-image.png

The packages which are still there are ready-made bread mixtures, by the way.

What I cannot quite understand, however, is why the damn table salt is bought out as well. I mean, if I'm cooking I'll use maybe half a tablespoon. What in the world do you need that much salt for?

Cure hams?

• 🚽 Regular

@Rhywden I take all news about Covid19 with a grain of salt.

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

What I cannot quite understand, however, is why the damn table salt is bought out as well. I mean, if I'm cooking I'll use maybe half a tablespoon. What in the world do you need that much salt for?

I saw shelves denuded of bottled water. So at least they're prepared in case the metropolitan supply stops working.

• ♿ (Parody)

Because web pages and documents will gracefully fallback to the shittiest possible Linux free fonts if you don't have MS fonts and it will look like parasite laden dog shit ran over by a trekking bike, peed on by a drunk homeless bum, and left to dry in the sun.

Welcome, time pod traveler!

@El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

I'm going to say a big NOPE! to to that. Vegan "cheese" can DIAF.

I found that website because I recently bought some sliced pepperoni and it said "Gluten Free" in big letters on the label. I wasn't even sure what gluten is, so I Goggled it:

Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat, graham, rye, barley and triticale – a cross between wheat and rye.

And oats. Sources disagree on whether some varieties of oats contain gluten, or whether it is only because oats are almost always contaminated with small amounts of wheat during storage and processing, but whatever the source, oats cannot be assumed gluten-free unless specifically labeled as such.

and I thought "Why in the :wtf: would there be gluten in pepperoni"? At first I figured it was just a scam to use the latest buzzwords in marketing {Gluten Free). But, it turns out that gluten is often used as a binder in many foods including, apparently, pepperoni 🤷♂

While I detest marketing buzzwords as much as anyone, and in general labeling something X-free when X is something you wouldn't expect to find in the product, or is even forbidden (the USDA prohibits the use of X in this type of product), is dumb.

However, in the case of gluten, specifically, I very much appreciate it.

Wheat is required to be listed as an allergen on product packaging, but other sources of gluten are not. Being labeled gluten-free means that gluten has not been used as a binder or thickener in something you wouldn't expect to contain gluten¹, and that there is no cross-contamination from other products, either because the producer doesn't make any products containing gluten, thus no source of potential contamination, or the producer takes effective steps to prevent contamination. There are many products that don't list any gluten-containing ingredients, but also don't provide any statement on possible contamination (except wheat; "may contain traces of wheat" would be required, if true, but the absence of "may contain traces of barley, rye, or oats" is meaningless, since such a statement is not required); therefore, there is no way to be sure whether or not it is safe to eat.

Edit: By "safe" and "unsafe" I am, of course, speaking from the viewpoint of those of us for whom gluten is unsafe for medical reasons. Gluten is perfectly safe for about 97% of the population. Those who choose to be gluten-free without a medical reason are idiots, although I thank them for increasing the popularity of gluten-free foods; without them, my limited choice of food would be even smaller.

¹ There are many, many examples of this. Here are but a few:

• Dates are not a grain, and are therefore naturally gluten-free; however, they are commonly dusted with oat flour to keep them from sticking together. Thus, they must be assumed to contain gluten unless marked gluten-free.
    • Rice Krispies® (and imitations thereof) and corn flakes are made from rice and corn, and should be gluten-free, right? No. Both contain malt flavoring (presumably from malted barley, since wheat is not listed as an allergen), and so contain gluten.
    • Soy sauce is made from soy (obviously) and wheat. Therefore, all Chinese and Japanese foods must be assumed unsafe unless labeled otherwise.
    • Herbs and spices are naturally gluten-free, and single-ingredient packages usually are (but you still have to read the label — Great Value® garlic powder, I'm looking at you 🖕), but blends like chili powder may not be, and packaged "taco seasoning", "chili seasoning" and the like are almost certainly not.

• BINNED

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

WTF of my day: So, the panic buying has begun over here.

You guys are late. 😜
    Since we've had our first case Thursday, the morons have bought out canned food and toilet paper (!!) on Friday, like it's the end of times. Then everyone on "social media" panicked that they can't get stuff anymore because of the panic. I happened to go shopping a day later and of course all the shelves were filled again.

What I still find hilarious is that, even in case of panic buying, nobody buys the vegan stuff. 🍹

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

in general labeling something X-free when X is something you wouldn't expect to find in the product

… is prohibited around here (as in, you may not advertise it; you may mention it in the description/composition/ingredients list).

Wheat is required to be listed as an allergen on product packaging, but other sources of gluten are not.

:doing_it_wrong::eek:⁉ Gluten is the allergen, so…

That said I don't remember any mention of “traces of wheat” (or rye or barley) here, only traces of nuts. I'll have to check some time.

Wheat is required to be listed as an allergen on product packaging, but other sources of gluten are not.

:doing_it_wrong::eek:⁉ Gluten is the allergen, so…

That said I don't remember any mention of “traces of wheat” (or rye or barley) here, only traces of nuts. I'll have to check some time.

As I understand it, wheat allergies are often not to gluten specifically--gluten intolerance is usually due to Celiac disorder, which is not an allergic (although it is an auto-immune) disorder. You can be wheat allergic without caring about non-wheat gluten. And even able to eat wheat gluten as long as it's purified (hah) of all the real offending protein.

Gluten is the allergen

Gluten intolerance is not technically an allergy (in most cases), so no. There are people who have a true allergy (as in the possibility of immediate, severe reaction) to wheat, just like peanuts or shellfish can be life-threatening to some people. For most of us who can't eat gluten, the effects are chronic and often subtle.

There are people who have a true allergy (as in the possibility of immediate, severe reaction) to wheat

Oh, I thought that one was also to gluten, not to wheat specifically.

For most of us who can't eat gluten, the effects are chronic and often subtle.

But are these effects so sensitive that you have to worry about traces? The foods that normally contain gluten contain a lot of it (IIRC it can be up to 80% of dry weight of wheat flour), so that is a problem, but I didn't notice celiacs worry about cross-contamination before.

• @Bulb (Some) Celiacs have serious issues with cross-contamination. Like even trace amounts.

(Some) Allergic people have serious issues with cross-contamination. Like even trace amounts.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Anything that that doesn't work for, you probably shouldn't be doing in a browser…

When has that ever stopped anyone?

Filed under: Not bitter

But are these effects so sensitive that you have to worry about traces? The foods that normally contain gluten contain a lot of it (IIRC it can be up to 80% of dry weight of wheat flour), so that is a problem, but I didn't notice celiacs worry about cross-contamination before.

Yes, very much so. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. Even a tiny amount of gluten can trigger the immune system to react and start producing antibodies to attack the "foreign invader". (The immune system responds to the gluten protein as if it were a protein found in the cell membrane or protein coat of an invading bacterium or virus, and produces antibodies to attack and destroy it. However, there is no foreign invader to destroy, and the antibodies wind up damaging the lining of the intestine, which can lead to increased flatulence, diarrhea, nutritional deficiencies, and an elevated risk of certain cancers.) The safe limit, and the maximum allowed in food labeled gluten-free, is generally considered to be 20 ppm (0.002%).

I don't think your recollection of the amount of gluten in wheat is correct. The numbers I remember reading are about 20% of the protein in wheat is gluten. I'm not sure how much of wheat is protein, but there's a lot of starch and fiber (at least in whole wheat), too.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Yes, very much so. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. Even a tiny amount of gluten can trigger the immune system to react and start producing antibodies to attack the "foreign invader". (The immune system responds to the gluten protein as if it were a protein found in the cell membrane or protein coat of an invading bacterium or virus, and produces antibodies to attack and destroy it. However, there is no foreign invader to destroy, and the antibodies wind up damaging the lining of the intestine, which can lead to increased flatulence, diarrhea, nutritional deficiencies, and an elevated risk of certain cancers.) The safe limit, and the maximum allowed in food labeled gluten-free, is generally considered to be 20 ppm (0.002%).

I don't think your recollection of the amount of gluten in wheat is correct. The numbers I remember reading are about 20% of the protein in wheat is gluten. I'm not sure how much of wheat is protein, but there's a lot of starch and fiber (at least in whole wheat), too.

:pendant: there is no gluten in pure wheat. There is glutinen and gliaden, which, when combined with water and either allowed to sit or mixed thoroughly, create the combined gluten complex.

• @Benjamin-Hall A point for :pendant:ry, I suppose. But as a practical matter, every food containing wheat either has been or will be mixed with water. If nothing else, it will mix with the water (and HCl and enzymes and whatnot) in your stomach when you eat it.

• @HardwareGeek True. That was pure pedantry. But pedantry means something in this case, because (ignorant) people think wheat == gluten. But those two protein families occur in a bunch of other things and there are lots of non-glutein-forming proteins in wheat as well.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

You guys are late.

I was away over the weekend, so I missed peak-panic here. I think the first case in the city was confirmed late Friday or Saturday. The only thing that was sold out when I returned was the hand sanitizer.

We're now instructed to not shake hands unless absolutely necessary. High-fives are out too, I guess. (I'm OK, though, as the one finger salute doesn't involve touching, so it should be permitted still.)

• Fake News

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

I'm OK, though, as the one finger salute doesn't involve touching, so it should be permitted still.

Careful though, being on the receiving end of a good beating might not be entirely hygienic. I recommend a good pair of running shoes.

Whether "not supported" means "won't run" or "doesn't have any benefits from EV and attestation signing" beats me.

If you find a sucker company to Leech from, the experimentation just be done!