WTF Bites

• BINNED

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

I also love how Stuart Semple - another artist - is sufficiently pissed over Vantablack being licensed exclusively to Kapoor that a) he went out of his way to invent new blacks, such as Black 3.0 and Black 4.0, and as per https://culturehustle.com/ refuses to let Kapoor buy them, or even let anyone buy his products for Kapoor.

Even the cookie banners refer to this pissing match. That’s some level of grudge right there.

The boundary between “getting trolled by Anish Kapoor” and “trolling Anish Kapoor” is a fluent one.

IMG_0476.jpeg

• BINNED

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc Shouldn't they be standing on the faces? Vertices don't have normals, surfaces do.

Vertices can have normals. They are the average of the normals of the faces surrounding them if you want smooth shading.

Preferably angle-weighted average. That brings a few nice properties, including being invariant under subdivision and correctly pointing “outwards” even for nonconvex vertices.

• @Arantor said in WTF Bites:

I also love how Stuart Semple - another artist - is sufficiently pissed over Vantablack being licensed exclusively to Kapoor that a) he went out of his way to invent new blacks, such as Black 3.0 and Black 4.0, and as per https://culturehustle.com/ refuses to let Kapoor buy them, or even let anyone buy his products for Kapoor.

Even the cookie banners refer to this pissing match. That’s some level of grudge right there.

:rofl:

Untitled-2.jpg

• 🚽 Regular

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

To wit:

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Anish Kapoor isn't allowed any of these cookies. To access this website please confirm you are not Anish Kapoor, and that you accept cookies.

I've :hanzo:d on other quotes.

Edit:

This paint is available worldwide to *all artists.

*Note: By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this material will not make it's way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.

This is great.

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

make it's way

*Puts on grammar jackboots*

• BINNED

• The product:
    1a4eb80b-e468-4453-892c-91c5bc0981b5-image.png
    A wired 3.5mm set of earbuds with built in microphone. Under $20 Canadian on sale.

The question:
    4bb2fd10-a106-42f4-9b78-66291fae5065-image.png
    Good question, that's what I'd like to know. In particular, whether the jack pinout is CTIA or OMTP standard. That question is way more technical than I expect any Bestbuy customer to know, but "will it work" is an excellent shortcut.

The answers:
    624adfdd-9b56-4cee-bd77-b0956f969406-image.png
    :picard-wtf:

• @hungrier

Addendum: My main reason for getting this, rather than say going to the dollar store, was to put my order total above the $35 free shipping threshold. Without it, the other item by itself would have cost $12.99 to ship. So, surely it must be more efficient to ship both these items than just one, right?

0e047282-5c18-47b2-b1ed-b2abbfc175b6-image.png

• Notification Spam Recipient

Went to use Office's "Insert image from Online" and this came up...

cf5b667d-c030-40e3-996e-ed975905d459-image.png

Guess I need a newer version of Internet Exploder...

Edit: Trying again made this happen...

19112c5e-a3c8-48d2-8ea5-0e850e86d778-image.png

Oops, something happened.

• Have you tried clicking "☹"?

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

Have you tried clicking "☹"?

It was an actual non-styled <input type="button"/> element, and yes, I clicked it, to no effect.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Went to use Office's "Insert image from Online" and this came up...

cf5b667d-c030-40e3-996e-ed975905d459-image.png

Guess I need a newer version of Internet Exploder...

Apparently the Microsoft Office people didn't get the memo. The first search result for "latest version of Internet Explorer" is:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41628

Internet Explorer was retired on June 15, 2022. IE 11 has been permanently disabled through a Microsoft Edge update. If you any site you visit needs Internet Explorer, you can reload it with IE mode in Microsoft Edge.

• @Gern_Blaanston said in WTF Bites:

If you any site you visit needs Internet Explorer, you can reload it with IE mode in Microsoft Edge.

Which, to be fair, is actual IE rendering engine running inside the Edge chrome. Also some other applications are still embedding the IE renderer.

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

My main reason for getting this, rather than say going to the dollar store, was to put my order total above the $35 free shipping threshold

At our biggest online shop, you can add a digital gift card to your order to get you above the threshold. It works.

• @topspin

The curl command line option --cacert provides a way for the user to say to curl that this is the exact set of CA certificates to trust when doing the following transfer.
    [..]
    When this command line option is used with curl on macOS, the version shipped by Apple, it seems to fall back and checks the system CA store in case the provided set of CA certs fail the verification.

Wow.

: You will leave that backdoor open and you will like it!

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Gern_Blaanston said in WTF Bites:

If you any site you visit needs Internet Explorer, you can reload it with IE mode in Microsoft Edge.

Which, to be fair, is actual IE rendering engine running inside the Edge chrome. Also some other applications are still embedding the IE renderer.

Which apparently is the only thing that Internet Explorer is used for these days. I had completely forgotten about IE and just a few days ago I was surprised to discover that it still exists in Windows 11, but also discovered that you can't actually run it (as a stand-alone browser).

Not that I would want to do that .... :laugh-harder:

• @Gern_Blaanston Unlike many other teams in Microsoft, the Windows team did not unlearn the value of backward compati(de)bility yet, so they still provide the IE library for those with ancient web apps relying on its misfeatures and no time to upgrade them.

@Gern_Blaanston Unlike many other teams in Microsoft, the Windows team did not unlearn the value of backward compati(de)bility yet, so they still provide the IE library for those with ancient web apps relying on its misfeatures and no time to upgrade them.

Backwards compatibility is one of the few things that Microsoft has always done well. I have a couple of programs, one is from 2003 and one is from 2000, and I use them regularly and they run just fine on the latest Windows 11.

Like Outlook. For rendering emails with HTML in so you will fucking use tables.

• @Vault_Dweller said in WTF Bites:

My main reason for getting this, rather than say going to the dollar store, was to put my order total above the $35 free shipping threshold

At our biggest online shop, you can add a digital gift card to your order to get you above the threshold. It works.

I didn't check recently to verify, but when I was looking for something to fill out the order, they had (presumably physical) gift cards listed as in-store only.

• @Gern_Blaanston said in WTF Bites:

Backwards compatibility is one of the few things that Microsoft has always done well.

The Windows division in Microsoft has always done it well. Maintaining applications based on Microsoft frameworks and/or running on their cloudless cloud is a wholly different story.

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Gern_Blaanston Unlike many other teams in Microsoft, the Windows team did not unlearn the value of backward compati(de)bility yet, so they still provide the IE library for those with ancient web apps relying on its misfeatures and no time to upgrade them.

Backwards compatibility is one of the few things that Microsoft has always done well. I have a couple of programs, one is from 2003 and one is from 2000, and I use them regularly and they run just fine on the latest Windows 11.

Rookie numbers. There are people (mainly banks, but I hear stuff like flight security is similarly long-lived) using programs written for IBM's System/360 every day. The hardware is of the kind that has blinkenlights and it hasn't been made since 1978.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Rookie numbers. There are people (mainly banks, but I hear stuff like flight security is similarly long-lived) using programs written for IBM's System/360 every day. The hardware is of the kind that has blinkenlights and it hasn't been made since 1978.

We'd do better at being taken seriously as a profession if our hardware still had blinkenlights, front panel toggles, and a reel-to-reel tape drive. None of that would need to actually do anything useful, but it definitely looked impressive and technical in ways that an anime wallpaper never will.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

We'd do better at being taken seriously as a profession

... if we acted like actual engineers and truly considered costs and fail-safes

• b8baba22-9978-4499-b231-b03a00e20040-image.png

👨: Blinklights it is.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

We'd do better at being taken seriously as a profession if our hardware still had blinkenlights, front panel toggles, and a reel-to-reel tape drive. None of that would need to actually do anything useful, but it definitely looked impressive and technical in ways that an anime wallpaper never will.

Many still do blinkenlights. Personally I no longer do embedded but our staff who still do a lot of device code.

Could you explain how this would help the profession? I'm genuinely interested.

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

surely it must be more efficient to ship both these items than just one, right?

I find that almost all the time. Order N items and get free shipping. Each item is shipped individually from different warehouses. 🤷♂

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Oops, something happened.

Hi, I'm Tsaukpaetra

I believe there is a causal relationship between those two statements.

• Certainly, but it doesn't answer the "'chicken or egg" question.

@Gearhead said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

Many still do blinkenlights. Personally I no longer do embedded but our staff who still do a lot of device code.

Could you explain how this would help the profession? I'm genuinely interested.

It provides a large and very visible sign that "technology is deployed in this location; please adjust your level of seriousness appropriately".

The original blinkenlights were the contents of CPU registers (which the input toggles affected) and have now gone because clock speeds are far too fast. We still have something along those lines on network interfaces and motherboards, some more than others, but design aesthetics for computers tend to not emphasise them. ("Gamer RGB" is entirely decorative and everyone knows it.)

• Considered Harmful

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

surely it must be more efficient to ship both these items than just one, right?

I find that almost all the time. Order N items and get free shipping. Each item is shipped individually from different warehouses. 🤷♂

It's their way of telling you their profit margin on the shit you didn't actually need is bigger than the shipping cost.

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

Certainly, but it doesn't answer the "'chicken or egg" question.

Get rid of your anthropocentrism and learn that the question is actually a little different.
    2024-03-11-6.jpg

• Java Dev

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

"Gamer RGB" is entirely decorative and everyone knows it.

You can configure "Gamer RGB" to be almost useful, though. Like setting the color to be based off the temperature in the system so that it can literally glow red when nearing 100C CPU/GPU temperatures.

• @Atazhaia I did at one point configure my keyboard to highlight different keys for different apps’ shortcuts. But the Steelseries app for this is very tedious so I stopped bothering.

but it doesn't answer the "'chicken or egg" question.

As far as we know, all dinosaurs reproduced by laying eggs.
    And they did so way before chicken appeared 🚎

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

"Gamer RGB" is entirely decorative and everyone knows it.

You can configure "Gamer RGB" to be almost useful, though. Like setting the color to be based off the temperature in the system so that it can literally glow red when nearing 100C CPU/GPU temperatures.

In theory yes, in practice no: it switches between different colours at fixed temperatures. Current mobo has a much better solution: the little display it has for showing POST codes (it looks just like one of these) gets repurposed after boot to show the CPU temperature. That's a real blinkenlight of value, though not really exciting enough for showing off to non-technical management.

answer the "'chicken or egg" question.

Fried.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

We still have something along those lines on network interfaces and motherboards, some more than others, but design aesthetics for computers tend to not emphasise them.

I heard recently about a device where removing such an LED caused the device to fail. When they removed the LED, they also removed the resistor associated with it — the resistor which had previously pulled the wire high when the LED wasn't lit.

It's fairly common for some chip pins to be outputs during normal operation, e.g., to drive an LED, but to be used as inputs during boot/configuration. These inputs need to be driven (through a fairly large resistor, so it's easily overridden during normal operation) high or low during boot to tell the device how to configure itself. If such a pin isn't driven to a valid 0 or 1, it's anybody's guess how the device will configure itself, depending on random thermal noise, the phase of the moon, and the price of oolong tea in Taipei.

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

Current mobo has a much better solution: the little display it has for showing POST codes (it looks just like one of these) gets repurposed after boot to show the CPU temperature.

Yeah, first time I encountered that I was scratching my head so fucking hard because I didn't have video output and the fucking post codes made no sense for where I thought the boot progress was.

• @TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

As far as we know, all dinosaurs reproduced by laying eggs.
    And they did so way before chicken appeared

Pssshh! Go away, and take your fax machine with you!

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

It's fairly common for some chip pins to be outputs during normal operation, e.g., to drive an LED, but to be used as inputs during boot/configuration. These inputs need to be driven (through a fairly large resistor, so it's easily overridden during normal operation) high or low during boot to tell the device how to configure itself.

😠
    I know, I know, you never have enough IO pins. But at the same time, I believe there's a special place in hell for people who do that.

• Java Dev

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

In theory yes, in practice no: it switches between different colours at fixed temperatures. Current mobo has a much better solution: the little display it has for showing POST codes (it looks just like one of these) gets repurposed after boot to show the CPU temperature. That's a real blinkenlight of value, though not really exciting enough for showing off to non-technical management.

Yeah, RGB color changing on CPU temp is useless for me too as I also got one of those displays, and it's easily visible thanks to window side panel.

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

RGB color changing on CPU temp is useless for me too as I also got one of those displayshave a completely opaque case, TYVM

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Yeah, first time I encountered that I was scratching my head so fucking hard because I didn't have video output and the fucking post codes made no sense for where I thought the boot progress was.

I had to resort to reading the printed documentation to figure that one out. :doing_it_wrong:

It was also a bit awkward to get that system set up as I needed to persuade the BIOS that the contents of the disks weren't to be used for booting (because the drivers were hosed by the previous mobo) yet the setting to do that broke the installer on the USB stick. But that was still less awful than guessing which port on the machine would actually produce video output before the video drivers were installed...

• Considered Harmful

I saw this pattern today, it took me a few seconds to parse:

if (~foo.indexOf(bar)) {

It seems to (ab)use bitwise NOT to get a result similar to foo.indexOf(bar) != -1, since ~(-1) returns 0 and other values return non-0, and 0 is falsy and other values are truthy.

I'm not sure if this is a :wtf: or if it's a clever shorthand I should add to my repertoire. (:why_not_both:)

@error said in WTF Bites:

I'm not sure if this is a :wtf: or if it's a clever shorthand I should add to my repertroire. (:why_not_both:)

ffcc7645-0af1-4609-8228-4d6100c474fd-image.png

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

if (~foo.indexOf(bar)) {

It seems to (ab)use bitwise NOT to get a result similar to foo.indexOf(bar) != -1, since ~(-1) returns 0 and other values return non-0, and 0 is falsy and other values are truthy.

I'm not sure if this is a :wtf: or if it's a clever shorthand I should add to my repertroire. (:why_not_both:)

I vote :trwtf:

• @error said in WTF Bites:

if it's a clever shorthand I should add to my repertroire.

NO!

Wait, there's very little chance that I'll ever have to work on your code, so...
    Yes, you definitely should, and please keep us informed on how it works out!

• @error someone writing preminified code is absolutely :trwtf:

• Java Dev

if (~foo.indexOf(bar)) {

I'm not sure if this is a :wtf: or if it's a clever shorthand I should add to my repertoire. (:why_not_both:)

I would assume the compiler knows that it can replace == -1 with bitwise negation, and when that is not useful. Doing it manually seems :trwtf: