WTF Bites

• @levicki Seems like exactly the same thing as Google's "Install Chrome" pop-ups on all their websites. Either we ban both or neither.

• kills Dumbledore

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

"Suggest" is too kind of a word for what they are actually doing

Weird how none of those screenshots are my screenshot where they suggested using their browser. You know, what I was actually talking about in my posts

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Of bundling and using antii-competitve practices to cause vendor lock-in?

They also add sugar to basically everything. Loads of it. Edge is coded almost entirely in added sugar. That and Instagram nudes. Added sugar and Instagram nudes is the entirety of the codebase.

• Banned

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

@levicki Seems like exactly the same thing as Google's "Install Chrome" pop-ups on all their websites. Either we ban both or neither.

Both please.

• BINNED

@Polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra broken clocks, blind squirrels, etc.

I’m thinking hard to make an instagram sluts joke... But I got nothing.

Must be the lack of fresh air.

E: God damnit, even that was hanzo’d

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

Of bundling and using antii-competitve practices to cause vendor lock-in? And they were already fined for it.

I just love how everyone jumps all over MS for this. But gives Apple a free pass.

• :belt_onion:

Copying some music to my iPod and decide to see if there is a newer version of iTunes available. There is, but you can no longer download it from Apple's website. The "Download" link takes you to a page which says "Download the latest version from the Microsoft Store"

So I click on the big "Get it from Microsoft button" which takes me to what appears to be a download page. Click on the big blue "Get" button and:

fuckyou_microsoft_and_apple.jpg

Some Googling turns up a website called techspot.com that seems to be reasonably legitimate and it has the latest version (just released 2 days ago) that I can download.

Good job Apple and Microsoft!

• @El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

I'm pretty sure the vendor supplies the links behind those buttons, so I'd put the blame squarely on Apple and not MS.

• Banned

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

I'm pretty sure the vendor supplies the links behind those buttons, so I'd put the blame squarely on Apple and not MS.

Well, I'd still blame MS for allowing arbitrary links in the Store instead of doing the only reasonable thing that's already done by every other app store, which is only provide software as full packaged builds.

• Marketing. So I need to replace my Fitbit Flex band (it keeps trying to leave my wrist). Found a nice one:
    4 pack: 8.99
    2 pack: 7.99
    1 pack: 9.99 (black), the more hideous the color, the cheaper.

(reads reviews) Oh, maybe not as nice as the review score sounds... "Very unreliable. Buckle fell off after a week while wearing this."

Off to search more...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

There is, but you can no longer download it from Apple's website. The "Download" link takes you to a page which says "Download the latest version from the Microsoft Store"

You can download the non store version.

a52d271b-6b95-409a-8fad-f942e4931f93-image.png

81693b6d-1056-4cd5-b83e-0eb072c31156-image.png

I advise you not to update install iTunes

FTFY

• Considered Harmful

@TimeBandit It works rather well for the things I am using it. :mlp_shrug:

I'm seeing a pattern here. There must be another Earth now, in addition to previously well known 73 (pie_flavor) and 47 (boomzilla). What's your number?

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

What's your number?

i

It kinda fits with the Apple-naming scheme, and the fact that it is clearly iMaginary.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

I'm seeing a pattern here. There must be another Earth now, in addition to previously well known 73 (pie_flavor) and 47 (boomzilla). What's your number?

No, that earth is flat-out fucked, even you wouldn't be from there. I bet it's actually 61.

@El_Heffe I advise you not to update iTunes before making sure that the new version still does everything you need.

Not a problem. I use iTunes for one thing and one thing only -- managing the music on my iPod. iTunes is a horrendous piece of shit and everyone at Apple who is involved with it should be ashamed and embarrassed.

They recently removed some functionality such as being able to reorder apps on your phone screen

Not a problem. My iPod is the only Apple device I've ever owned, and only because I got it as a gift.

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

There is, but you can no longer download it from Apple's website. The "Download" link takes you to a page which says "Download the latest version from the Microsoft Store"

You can download the non store version.

a52d271b-6b95-409a-8fad-f942e4931f93-image.png

:wtf: So, you get the latest version by clicking on a link called "Other Versions".

Good work Apple! :facepalm:

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

No, that earth is flat-out fucked, even you wouldn't be from there. I bet it's actually 61.

:pendant: He asked what's my number, not which Earth I am on.

What would 61 represent?

Yes, I was referencing that too.

61 doesn't represent, that's not how this works.

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

: When translating the word "bots" should we spell it with one T or two Ts? :why_not_both:!

bots.png

Bonus points for botar already being a Swedish word

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

Well, I'd still blame MS for allowing arbitrary links in the Store instead of doing the only reasonable thing that's already done by every other app store, which is only provide software as full packaged builds.

I think the arbitrary link was outside the store

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

I think the arbitrary link was outside the store

Frankly, I think that the whole problem El_Heffe had was caused by:

1. His version of Windows 10 not having Windows Store (that's why clicking big blue Get button didn't work, it was supposed to launch Windows Store app and initiate download from it).

I have "Windows Store" somewhere on my computer, but I deleted the shortcut to it long ago. I don't do "apps". I have a web browser, that's the only "app" I should need to download an installer for iTunes.

1. Him not Googling iTunes and going straight to Apple's download page from there.

Except, that's exactly what I did. I Googled "download itunes windows" and it took me to a page with no obvious way to download it, just a button that takes me to the Microsoft Store.

1. Him not expecting that everyone is now pushing Windows Store apps front and center and hiding desktop versions under "other".

Yes, because I am not a stupid retarded idiot.

And what is the difference between "Windows Store App iTunes" and "Desktop iTunes"? I'm looking for iTunes for Windows to run on a desktop PC, which I've been using for almost 10 years now. Why do I suddenly need a "Windows Store App"? The whole thing is beyond idiotic.

1. Him failing to scan the whole download page and thus not noticing those other download links.

If you want the newest version of a program, it would never occur to a rational, non-retarded person to click on a link called "other versions".

So my verdict is that it was mostly his own fault. :mlp_shrug:

My verdict is you really should work for Apple or Microsoft, since you seem to be as much of an asshole as they are. You'll fit right in.

And what is the difference between "Windows Store App iTunes" and "Desktop iTunes"? I'm looking for iTunes for Windows to run on a desktop PC, which I've been using for almost 10 years now.

• The Microsoft Store version updates through the Microsoft Store.
    • The Microsoft Store version doesn't install Apple Software Update, Bonjour, and other background services/applications that the non-Store version does.
    • The Microsoft Store version won't pop up automatically when you plug in an iDevice.
    • The Microsoft Store version can be installed on devices running in S Mode/limited to applications installed from the Store.

Otherwise they're the same (non-UWP) application.

Why do I suddenly need a "Windows Store App"? The whole thing is beyond idiotic.

You might prefer how the Store keeps your applications updated automatically (less updater applications running in the background), better respects your system settings for when to do updating*, or how packaged applications uninstall cleaner than before*. It's not required, as shown by Apple still distributing the other version of iTunes. (If nothing else, they may want to still support Windows 7.)

So it's up to you. I don't use it very often as very few things I use have an official version on the Store. However, I don't do anything to hide or remove it because I do want it to keep things updated and I want to be able to go in and look at an application's entry or check for updates manually.

Microsoft seems to be moving away from the Store, but may end up keeping it by replacing the app with the web version of the Store. Or not. Who knows? Maybe not even Microsoft. 🤷🏻♂

I don't do "apps". I have a web browser, that's the only "app" I should need to download an installer for iTunes.

And that iTunes is not an "app"?

• @Parody said in WTF Bites:

And what is the difference between "Windows Store App iTunes" and "Desktop iTunes"? I'm looking for iTunes for Windows to run on a desktop PC, which I've been using for almost 10 years now.

• The Microsoft Store version updates through the Microsoft Store.
    • The Microsoft Store version doesn't install Apple Software Update, Bonjour, and other background services/applications that the non-Store version does.
    • The Microsoft Store version won't pop up automatically when you plug in an iDevice.
    • The Microsoft Store version can be installed on devices running in S Mode/limited to applications installed from the Store.

And most of those are good reasons to want the NON-Store version unless you are limited by the last point. Updating from Store instead of needing its own updater is a bonus for the store version, but the non-store does get updated, so it's not a big bonus. On the other hand not reacting to iDevice being plugged in and not being able to discover iDevices on the network (due to lack of Bonjour) is big reduction of functionality users were used to.

• kills Dumbledore

@Parody said in WTF Bites:

The Microsoft Store version doesn't install Apple Software Update, Bonjour, and other background services/applications that the non-Store version does.

That right there sounds like more than enough reason to use it

• Considered Harmful

Asterix said in Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Steam Discussions)

Not that I'm not grateful or anything but... How in the world does a 17 kB source code turn into a 170MB monster of a program?!?

Oh you sweet Shelyn's child 😆

Let's see: https://github.com/ericfitzgerald/KingmakerCharacterEditor...

This will run the application

cd KingmakerCharacterEditor
    electron .

Alright then 😂

Status: Wondering if there is a C++ way of writing this type of casts:

uint8_t Buffer[20];
    int a = *(int*)&Buffer[8];

reinterpret_cast

• WTF of my day: So, I did install Fallout 4 once again. First I had to wrangle it a bit because 21:10 screens were obviously not a thing back then (hooray for config files, though!)

And then I had a nice CTD shortly before the bomb dropped - and it was a maginificent one: One second, the game runs fine. The next nanosecond I'm at the desktop without any stutter or hitch.

I wish all my games would let me quit that fast.

• Lidarr. Apparently it's been polling RSS feeds on the indexers I set up, so much that it ran into the API request limit, and put an error message about it in the "System" tab. Ok, so I'll disable that polling because I don't need it to check for new releases every 15 minutes (or ever, in the particular case of Lidarr).

Not so fast! It won't save the setting before forcibly testing the indexer again, which returns "too many requests" so the save fails. Even though it previously tested just fine, and the only setting I changed was turning off RSS polling. So in order to change the setting I'll have to catch it at exactly the right time after the day rolls over on the indexer but before the thing uses up all my requests. Or uninstall Lidarr entirely, because so far I've been completely unimpressed by it.

fuckin-thing-sucks.gif

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

Or uninstall Lidarr entirely, because so far I've been completely unimpressed by it.

This is what I did with it. It never seemed as anywhere near as useful as Sonarr or Radarr. Even less so now I don't even download music.

I Googled "download itunes windows" and it took me to a page with no obvious way to download it

You could save yourself a lot of troubles by using Ninite 🤷🏽♂

• Java Dev

Because I keep forgetting it's :rolleyes: and not :eyeroll:...

eyeroll.png

@Atazhaia ⛔🇩🇪👶's amazing emoticon search.

person_playing_water_polo_light_skin_tone

• 🚽 Regular

⛔🇩🇪👶's amazing emoticon search.

:eyeroll:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

⛔🇩🇪👶's amazing emoticon search.

:trollface: Wait, that's not it.

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

0d0f1d33-e244-4bfe-8b2d-1a3f4ea4fcad-image.png

(Not to be confused with the iRoll, where you wrap raw salmon into an iPhone.)

• BINNED

@cvi
    nope thread is :arrows: right next to that Ted Cruz image

• WTF of my day: So, I had one course of mine write an exam electronically - it's their final semester and we have to get at least something to base their final grades on.

I designed an exam in Moodle, had them pinky-swear not to cheat (yeah, I know) and then let them at it. I had also previously designed a "test exam" so they could see whether their devices would work properly (that was one week ago).

10 out of 11 took that exam. The missing guy just wrote me an email that he "had missed all the notifications among the deluge of messages!"

If that was so then how did you manage to take that test exam? Also, how did all of your compatriots manage to attend the test - it's not as if they got less of a deluge. And why did you email me an hour after you noticed that you missed the exam (and not straightaway)? Plus, this was the same date the "normal" exam would have been written. Also, I notified you that the exam would still need to happen, even with the lockdown (plus, you had no other tasks in those three weeks but "prepare for the exam")

My superior told me that the final decision was up to me but that, strictly speaking, the laws around the exams make no excuse for "being a fuckup".

Kindhearted that I am, I decided to give him one last chance - a mere 10 minutes after his email(due to conferring with my supervisor) I replied with an email that he'd be able to take another shot at the exam - in 30 minutes from now.

yeah, he almost missed that one as well. He logged in 10 minutes before closing. Doesn't look that good but, hey, I wasn't even required to give him a chance.

• Considered Harmful

@Rhywden Those aliens won't shoot themselves, you know.

• @Rhywden Next monday is my first assessment day. Let's see if our LMS will actually stand up under the load--prognosis not so good. Fortunately my classes don't have a formalized exam this semester[1]

[1] which is its own :wtf:--the school is playing games trying to kill off formalized end-of-semester/end-of-course exams without actually saying that. So they switch around the schedule every year. And replace formal exams with "authentic" assessments (meaning useless projects that their parents do). That may work (sort of) for English, History, and Art. For Math and Science...not so much.

• @Benjamin-Hall My Moodle system currently looks fine. Then again, we also didn't have very many people using it at the same time.

869ec24e-2405-4a5a-8406-7cd419a5fb87-image.png

• @Rhywden Ours isn't self-hosted (we'd be fine if it were). And it's a bigger company. They were crumbling last week (when mostly teachers and a few schools were on it). Now just about everyone will be hammering it pretty constantly. They've "optimized" things...but yeah. Don't trust them at all. They're not that reliable in the best of times.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Double AMD and Mozilla WTF from yesterday:
    Due to lockdown I needed a stronger computer for work. I got a brand new Ryzen with integrated graphics (cause it's cheap and recent Intel security debacles made me give AMD a chance), and guess what? Of course you can't run normal Debian on it. Even testing with 5.x kernel just freezes silently. I guess it's too new. Needed to install the dreaded, bloated, spyware-ridden Ubuntu. I got a new hard drive, installed everything and I thouhgt 'lol, I'll just copy dot-folders like I always do and I'm set'. Turns out it's not so easy anymore. With Firefox and Thunderbird I ran into this nastiness:

Fortunately, moving some folders and editing profiles.ini by hand fixed the problem, but it really stressed me out. All the bookmarks, passwords and browsing history gone, together with old mail - that would really suck. There's no option to manually import from another install of Firefox and Thunderbird, beacause why would anyone do that, they have their 'Sync' for that (which I don't use and it doesn't cover Thunderbird)

• @sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

Of course you can't run normal Debian on it. Even testing with 5.x kernel just freezes silently.

:wtf_owl:

• Trolleybus Mechanic

And by the way: Why is the "TearFree" option always disabled by default in Xorg.conf? Same on Intel and AMD. Is this to justify the existence of compositors? Never seen this not working, and yet I always have to manually add this line.

@sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

Why is the "TearFree" option always disabled by default in Xorg.conf?

In this case, we have a definitive answer:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37686#c123

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

I wish all my gamesapps would let me quit that fast.

• 🚽 Regular

Why is the "TearFree" option always disabled by default in Xorg.conf

Because having to deal with Xorg.conf always ends in tears?

• Banned

Of course you can't run normal Debian on it

Did you try first updating BIOS on the mainboard?

Hmm...

When the RDRAND bug in Ryzen 3000 first surfaced back in June, Linux users widely reported that their entire Ryzen 3000-powered systems wouldn't boot. The failure to boot was due to systemd's use of RDRAND—and it wasn't systemd's first clash with AMD and a buggy random-number generator, unfortunately.

Do you see that? SYSTEMD CAN FAIL TO BOOT IF RANDOM NUMBERS AREN'T SUFFICIENTLY DIFFERENT!

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Do you see that? SYSTEMD CAN FAIL TO BOOT IF RANDOM NUMBERS AREN'T SUFFICIENTLY DIFFERENT!

They're assuming they get unique numbers?