WTF Bites

• BINNED

@error said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Y2k38 preview

Dates are hard, let's go shopping.

After initial confusion about why I have this tab open, I found the starting post and realized I have to read this bottom to top. Seriously? Wow, Twitter is indeed stupid.

• BINNED

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

I always take them off before I motorboat.

Have you tried safety goggles?

• @Luhmann said in WTF Bites:

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

I always take them off before I motorboat.

Have you tried safety goggles?

They do nothing.

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

I'll be going to bed tonight with a silly grin on my face.

I thought @Vixen turned you down.

Technology was always giving me better hard-ons then women.

/LARGEADDRESSAWARE > large a dress a-wear?

9fc43115-49eb-4875-9a1f-de847f4b9fcd-image.png

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

I'll be going to bed tonight with a silly grin on my face.

I thought @Vixen turned you down.

Technology was always giving me better hard-ons then women.

/LARGEADDRESSAWARE > large a dress a-wear?

9fc43115-49eb-4875-9a1f-de847f4b9fcd-image.png

i don't think i've ever seen the plumber happier...... (now i really want to see Peach wearing a wedding tux and Bowser dressed as the priest.... because that's the most adorable headcanon ever!

• @Vixen The actual premise of the game is that Bowser has kidnapped the princess to marry her, and is going around stealing stuff for the wedding from various worlds.

That said, Mario in a wedding dress is not directly related to the main story

@Vixen The actual premise of the game is that Bowser has kidnapped the princess to marry her, and is going around stealing stuff for the wedding

that really doesn't narrow down which game you're talking about...

thank the goddess Amaterasu you added an ABBR to disambiguate.

• @Vixen As far as I know, this is the only one where he's going around stealing wedding dresses and cakes

@Vixen As far as I know, this is the only one where he's going around stealing wedding dresses and cakes

i assume he does that in a bunch of other games too, you just dont' see it onscreen.

• Considered Harmful

@Vixen said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@Vixen The actual premise of the game is that Bowser has kidnapped the princess to marry her, and is going around stealing stuff for the wedding

that really doesn't narrow down which game you're talking about...

thank the goddess Amaterasu you added an ABBR to disambiguate.

In the end, she's forced to choose between the two suitors, so she chooses

spoilernobody. She ditches them both.

• @error said in WTF Bites:

In the end, she's forced to choose between the two suitors, so she chooses

Daisy. Obviously.

Daisy.jpg

• Considered Harmful

Broke: Peach stays single forever.

Woke: Peach becomes polyamorous.

• Considered Harmful

@Vixen Daisy got a promotion?

• WTF of my day: So, I've subscribed to XBox Gamepass Ultimate. Worthwhile for me and today I got an email where the campaign creator obviously didn't set the query parameters correctly. Because it offered me a subscription for XBox Gamepass (sans Ultimate) for 1€ for three months if I was a new subscribor...

... but that reminded me to have a look at my current subscription options. Because the usual deal is when you subscribe for longer periods of time then you effectively pay less (e.g. 5€ for one month and 14€ for three months)

Yeah. Someone at Microsoft seems to subscribe to the opposite notion:

821a49bf-8863-436e-9850-8c48cba2e10b-image.png

• Considered Harmful

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Because the usual deal is when you subscribe for longer periods of time then you effectively pay less (e.g. 5€ for one month and 14€ for three months)

I've noticed at my grocery store, many times it's cheaper to buy individual beverages than to buy a pack.

• Java Dev

Because the usual deal is when you subscribe for longer periods of time then you effectively pay less (e.g. 5€ for one month and 14€ for three months)

I've noticed at my grocery store, many times it's cheaper to buy individual beverages than to buy a pack.

Over here price per litre is on the price card. Probably legally required.

Suddenly, while scrolling through a topic,

It does say "or [...] for some other reason." Video driver?

Limit for 32-bit processes is 2 GB because of user / kernel memory split (you need RAM to map kernel into your process so your code can call its functions). It can be 3 GB / 1 GB split if linked with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option but some other conditions must be met as well.

This is true only on 32-bit Windows. On 64-bit Windows, if linked with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE it can use up to about 3.9GB (with the remaining ~100MB used for thunking) without any special conditions. If linked without /LARGEADDRESSAWARE it can only use up to 2GB, since Windows is worried such code uses the "positive pointer on success, negative error code on failure" communication mechanism, but all of the Windows-on-Windows code doesn't count against that 2GB limit.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Actually, the kernel is always just 1 GB.

This was and remains never the general case on Windows. On servers with special (read: dumb, intentionally so) video drivers, that weren't web servers (because HTTP.SYS), you could set some switches in BOOT.INI or the BCD to restrict the kernel to 1GB of address space, leaving 3GB for "large address aware" applications. A lot of limits were reduced in this mode, because they allocate kernel- or nonpaged-mode RAM and there was far less room in the address space for these allocations, but for something like SQL Server getting a 50% boost in directly-mapped RAM can be extremely helpful and outweigh the other penalties. But for pretty much every other 32-bit workload, the 2GB split worked better. Oh, and on 64-bit, it's a 8.8TB/8.8TB split.

• @PleegWat said in WTF Bites:

I don't know about legally, but price per some unit is on the cards here too. Of course, for a similar product (name brand, off brand), it's not unusual to see price/ounce on one and price/pound on the other...

• Java Dev

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@PleegWat said in WTF Bites:

I don't know about legally, but price per some unit is on the cards here too. Of course, for a similar product (name brand, off brand), it's not unusual to see price/ounce on one and price/pound on the other...

Once more the superiority of the metric system is evident.

• kills Dumbledore

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

Yeah. Sometimes it's split between per kilo and per hundred grammes but that's pretty simple to convert. The annoying one is where one brand has per unit and another has per weight. The best is toilet paper which is priced per sht

• @PleegWat said in WTF Bites:

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

It's even more fun when one card is price/something and the other is price/somethingelse, so you have to normalize both into a common unit. Metric isn't going to help - price/package vs price/kilo (and the package is .8kilos). I'm certain they do it on purpose.

• @TwelveBaud said in WTF Bites:

It does say "or [...] for some other reason." Video driver?

I've since installed the 64 bit version (as an in-place upgrade, which I thought was neat), and as of last night it wasn't doing it anymore. I'll see if the problem comes back

• Review on an Android app, and the developer's response:

c553d91a-e6f4-4419-ad09-9c9eb15f532a-image.png

Face/Touch ID

• ♿ (Parody)

It is here, too, but you have to pay attention and not just assume that bigger quantities are better per unit deals.

• Processed 5 tests
    Waiting for the tests to finish

Tests Run Status: Pass=2, Fail=1, Running=4, Pending=0

2+1+4+0 != 5

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

It's even more fun when one card is price/something and the other is price/somethingelse, so you have to normalize both into a common unit. Metric isn't going to help - price/package vs price/kilo (and the package is .8kilos). I'm certain they do it on purpose.

Yeah, but they can't pull that stunt over here. For food, it's either price per weight (€ per 100 g / 1 kg for the :pendant: ) or price per volume (€ per liter).

• 🚽 Regular

Processed 5 tests
    Waiting for the tests to finish

Tests Run Status: Pass=2, Fail=1, Running=4, Pending=0

2+1+4+0 != 5

- failed  \
    - passed  |
    - passed  | processed
    - running |
    - running /
    - running \
    - running / ran too fast, they got away

• BINNED

*****  Plugin catchall (100. confidence) suggests   **************************

If you believe that clamscan should be allowed getattr access on the kmsg chr_file by default.
    Then you should report this as a bug.
    You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
    Do
    allow this access for now by executing:
    # ausearch -c 'clamscan' --raw | audit2allow -M my-clamscan
    # semodule -i my-clamscan.pp

What is this, some badly executed attempt to build instructions from individual sentence fragments?!

• Notification Spam Recipient

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

What is this, some badly executed attempt to build instructions from individual sentence fragments?!

I think it's passive-aggressive taunting to try and get you to bitch at the dev?

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

Metric isn't going to help - price/package vs price/kilo (and the package is .8kilos). I'm certain they do it on purpose.

The whole discussion is about price per unit of measurement. For packaged things the main price listed is always per package, because that's what you buy. But there is additional price per unit of weight or volume, and there metric does help, because it is easier to convert between price/100g and price/1kg than between price/oz an price/lb. Only problematic case is when some brand gives the package size as weight and another as volume, and then it's still pretty close, because most foods are close to density of water, so 1 l weighs approximately 1 kg (while 1 pint weighs a bit over 1¼ lb).

• Java Dev

@Vixen The actual premise of the game is that Bowser has kidnapped the princess to marry her, and is going around stealing stuff for the wedding from various worlds.

That said, Mario in a wedding dress is not directly related to the main story

I dunno why Bowser is trying to marry Peach. The last time they got married it brought about the end of all worlds and they all had to cooperate to undo the effects of the marriage before everything would be turned to nothing. Did he learn nothing from that?

• Banned

• @Gąska

This trope is especially true for cartoons, where networks want to be free to broadcast reruns in any convenient order or lack thereof.

Yup… the TV here ran some Disney cartoons in random order and with some it's weird (e.g. Rescue Rangers swapping their crafts randomly).

• Java Dev

i(Pad)OS is :wtf: when it comes to updating apps. So I have configured it to automatically update apps. But apparently setting the iPad to charge on a network with Wi-Fi is not enough to trigger the updates to happen, like on Android. Instead when I checked this morning after having the iPad charging for the entire night was that it had "43 updates are scheduled". WHEN? Because it sure as hell aint updating them when the iPad isn't charging, and apparently not when charging either. It had an entire night of not being used to update itself and it chose not to. Goddammit, Apple.

• Fail might carry the meaning "Didn't even run", so it processed 5, ran 4 and 2 passed. 1 could not be run because of some framework failure, and 2 tests failed the asserts.

• 🚽 Regular

If you believe that clamscan should used better English.
    Then you should report this as a bug.

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

Review on an Android app, and the developer's response:

Android devices also have face and touch ID.

Fingerprint and face recognition both exist in Android, but I think Face ID and Touch ID are Apple specific names for it

Fingerprint and face recognition both exist in Android, but I think Face ID and Touch ID are Apple specific namestrademarks for it

FTFA

• Um, Skype (for Business)...?

77aba201-49fd-4190-9f1c-6349084e10e7-image.png

• Fake News

This post is deleted!

• Considered Harmful

No dots!

f2281074-4706-4bdf-ae43-c096a4280652-image.png

• To be honest, you're a pretty special character yourself. And not just because of your avatar.

So Gaben, what the fuck is the point in having VAC ban system to begin with, if someone can have several bans and still join games, troll, and harass people?

I mean, did you have VAC enabled on your server? :thonking:

@Tsaukpaetra Yes, and?

Clearly it didn't work! :trollface:

if anyone at Valve actually ever worked on anything.

Ah, see, wishful thinking there. Why put forth effort when not enough people are screaming about it?

• @levicki it's not that fun

https://youtu.be/xLJrzfWTu9E

• @levicki :hanzo: by me there :arrows:

• BINNED

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

@levicki :hanzo: by me there :arrows:

But his onebox had a picture that made me think “stop trying to make Bing happen, it’s not going to happen”, which turned out to be exactly what the caption said (not that I read any more of it).
    And that, to me, was a worthwhile addition. 😃

Filed under: that is so fetch.

• ♿ (Parody)

No dots!

c2fffef3-a6f2-4c41-84fe-71071c09f23e-image.png

• 🚽 Regular

But his onebox had a picture that made me think “stop trying to make Bing happen, it’s not going to happen”, which turned out to be exactly what the caption said (not that I read any more of it).
    And that, to me, was a worthwhile addition.
    Rachel McAdams 😃

Edit: though she looks a bit goofy.