WTF Bites

• Considered Harmful

@kazitor said in WTF Bites:

More multi-monitor mishaps: videos playing in windows media player freeze for a bit when transferred to a different screen

I love myself a good WMP bashing, but still: is there any video player that uses hardware acceleration (I don't want to burn through my battery in half an hour watching HD on a cab, right?) and doesn't do this? I don't have a second monitor here to check but I'd think this was just fucking hard to get right.

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

is there any video player that uses hardware acceleration

Media Player Classi--

and doesn't do this?

Oh, never mind

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Mason_Wheeler said in WTF Bites:

1. "This won't hurt a bit."
    2. "This won't take long."
    3. "I'm not stupid!"
    1. I'm not jealous.
    1. It's not what you think!
    1. There are no other cases.
    1. I didn't change a thing! / I didn't touch it!

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

is there any video player that uses hardware acceleration

Media Player Classi--

and doesn't do this?

Oh, never mind

I remember videos pausing very briefly when I dragged windows between monitors, but I just tried it with a few different types of videos in MPC-HC and a YouTube video playing in Firefox and neither did it. Hmm....

• Notification Spam Recipient

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

linux build

I know what happened: there was a space in the name.

• Hmm, .NET security updates are distributed through Windows Update. I wonder what kind of auto update mechanism .Net Core has?
    *googles*

TL;DR of official responses:

• @error said in WTF Bites:

Another JS gotcha: x || y || z will evaluate to the first value that is truthy, or the last value if none are. Similarly, x && y && z will return the first value that is falsy, or the last value if none are.

That's a Poor Man's Ternary Operator™. It is idiomatic in Perl, and was in Python before introduction of their weird-order if operator (except in both those languages the keywords or and and are used). Usually used like condition && then || else or as value || default. And in Perl additionally as thingamajig or die "Thingamajig is not defined!" (die is Perl's name for throw).

Now of course JavaScript does have an actual ternary operator, but this is still handy for filling in the defaults, so still qualifies as idiomatic JavaScript.

@Vixen said in WTF Bites:

That's just Javascript having null coalescing before null coalescing was cool!

It was already cool, at least in Perl (though Perl 5 is only about a year older than JavaScript).

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

Absolutely. A language where access of an invalid variable or property does not error at compile time and does not error at runtime but instead silently hands you an invalid value (which will throw if you try to access any of its properties) is quite literally the worst thing I've ever heard of.

That was the standard behaviour for scripting languages back when JavaScript was created. It's the same in Perl, either is or was in PHP (I haven't touched that in a long time) and is, of course, the same in shell.

• 🚽 Regular

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

That's a Poor Man's Ternary Operator™

More like a coalescing operator, Shirley.

• @Zecc Both. Just ||s for coalescing, &&-||combination for ternary.

• Java Dev

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

That's a Poor Man's Ternary Operator™. It is idiomatic in Perl, and was in Python before introduction of their weird-order if operator (except in both those languages the keywords or and and are used). Usually used like condition && then || else or as value || default. And in Perl additionally as thingamajig or die "Thingamajig is not defined!" (die is Perl's name for throw).

What if then is falsey?

• @PleegWat Then it goes to the else branch anyway, yes. It is still used whenever you are “sure” it is truthy.

• WTF is that hat?

• Fake News

@HardwareGeek I've got this theory: that hat might look as expected from some angles, just like some of those optical illusions which people use in street art and fake an entire perspective if looked at from the right angle. If so, you now know that photographers are not going to use that angle, otherwise they would get mocked by their colleagues due to missing out on capturing the extent of this ridiculous hat design.

So, you get two benefits: you're sure to get noticed, and if you do it right they will only photograph your "good" side. Drawback is that you look ridiculous - though paparazi are going to try and capture any embarassing moments anyway, so why not stay ahead of them? In other words: mad hatter wins the day.

• Another possibility is that we're living in a computer simulation, and the 3D model for the hat got corrupted somehow.

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb It is totally possible for several languages to share the same spot for 'worst language ever' by having the same features. However, I'm pretty sure you are incorrect about PHP - ever since it was web-ready it's had isset and runtime errors for unset variables. And even if it wasn't, at least they fixed it. None of the awful parts of JS have been fixed. It wouldn't even be hard.

• BINNED

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

PHP - ever since it was web-ready

When will that be? :thonking:

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

PHP - ever since it was web-ready

When will that be? :thonking:

When it becomes renamed to BHP.

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

None of the awful parts of JS have been fixed. It wouldn't even be hard.

The reason is backward compatidebility. In PHP, or any other language except JavaScript really, the operator is choosing the compiler or interpreter they will use, so they can switch to the new version when the programmers have fixed the code to work with it. But JavaScript will run on whatever the user happens to have, so if the implementations started being stricter, the code would stop working, and the users would blame their browser, because webs would stop working that did with the previous version.

They did add a strict mode (that's what Perl also did), but

Browsers not supporting strict mode will run strict mode code with different behavior from browsers that do, so don't rely on strict mode without feature-testing for support for the relevant aspects of strict mode.

Mmmkay… maybe they only mean “don't rely on access to invalid variables actually throwing”, but it does sound like they might mean more.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek
    Trying to one-up Pharrell ?

• How do you download a mail from outlook web access? Like this

You can download an email like this:

1. Start a new message
    2. Click to edit the message in a new window.
    3. Select all emails you would like to download.
    4. Drag the emails to the new message. This will add them as attachments.
    5. Click the down arrow on the attachment and download the email message, or send the message to yourself and then download all attachments.

To load a message back, you do the reverse and then hunt down the message, because for some reason it might end up deleted even if you copy the .msg attachment to Inbox.

Edit: Bonus :wtf:: The attachments have filename eml.

• kills Dumbledore

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Mason_Wheeler said in WTF Bites:

1. "This won't hurt a bit."
    2. "This won't take long."
    3. "I'm not stupid!"
    1. I'm not jealous.
    1. It's not what you think!
    1. There are no other cases.
    1. I didn't change a thing! / I didn't touch it!
    1. It's not you

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb Increment the file extension for breaking changes - now it's .js1. Browsers with support for it, load it normally. Browsers without support for it can load a JS VM in WASM as a polyfill.
    Although, instead of doing that, you could do the same thing but drop JS entirely and use something else instead.

• Stop making so much sense. Good engineering practices are a :barrier: to webdev.

• 🚽 Regular

@levicki They're probably ESL. Give them a brake.

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

backuping

The real :wtf: is "backuping" instead of backing up.

Next you will be setuping an appointment for checkuping yourself at your doctor while your daughter is playing dressuping at home.

Sheesh.

No no, it's "backupping". Also, you don't "play dressuping", you're just "dressupping".

Get it right, thot.

• Considered Harmful

Spotted while scrolling down (and not sideways - this is the front page here):
    Screenshot_20190930-160055.jpg
    Has Google profiled me this much, or is he really just that popular?

• @levicki I bet you're a blast at parties.

Let me guess, you don't think prepositions are good things to end sentences with?

• Banned

White noise, baby!

• BINNED

Not sure which would be more of a WTF.

• Java Dev

More school textbook idiocy, explaining a URL:

http:// is the language the browser uses to talk to the web server.
    www. is the graphical user interface for the site.
    example is the subdomain of the site.
    .com is the top-level domain.
    /grove/ is the under-domain of the site.

Well, it at least got 2 out of 5 correct...

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Two? I only see one (top-level domain).

• So I was looking at my personal React project that I haven't picked up for like a year, and checked the dependencies. Apparently people were talking about the use of immutable.js from a long time ago but the last PR was from... Feburary, so I decided to not use it at all and ditch it from the dependencies to avoid maintenance issues.

> npm uninstall immutable

added 135 packages and removed 1 package in 28.636s

:wtf_owl: How did uninstalling a package give me 135 more packages?

@_P_ said in WTF Bites:

So I was looking at my personal React project that I haven't picked up for like a year, and checked the dependencies. Apparently people were talking about the use of immutable.js from a long time ago but the last PR was from... Feburary, so I decided to not use it at all and ditch it from the dependencies to avoid maintenance issues.

Doesn't npm install random 130+ packages with every command you run?
    That's my experience at least.

• @MrL said in WTF Bites:

@_P_ said in WTF Bites:

So I was looking at my personal React project that I haven't picked up for like a year, and checked the dependencies. Apparently people were talking about the use of immutable.js from a long time ago but the last PR was from... Feburary, so I decided to not use it at all and ditch it from the dependencies to avoid maintenance issues.

Apparently yes, even uninstalling a package that doesn't exist (which is a no-op) give me added 135 packages. :wtf_owl:

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

@_P_ said in WTF Bites:

I'm pondering if they meant "re-added x packages to the registry x cached already"?

• Java Dev

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Two? I only see one (top-level domain).

Well, 1.5. I'd have worded the first one better, but it's at least correct in concept and I'd probably use a similar explanation if explaining the concept of a protocol to a complete novice. The second one (www) just makes me go full :wtf: however.

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

I'd have worded the first one better, but it's at least correct in concept

No, the first one is dead wrong, because the // is not part of the protocol (for http it must always be there, but not for all protocols).

• Java Dev

@Bulb The actual illustration used in the book was a bit clearer and had only underlined the http, but I was too :kneeling_warthog: to do an accurate representation of it.

• @Atazhaia What? You passed up a chance to use Wooden Table 2.0?

• Java Dev

@Bulb I'll try to rectify this issue as soon as possible.

(Also, I should have known someone would have gone full :pendant: on the way I represented it...)

• BINNED

@_P_ said in WTF Bites:

How did uninstalling a package give me 135 more packages?

canvas.png

• WTF Status: Rent's due today, and I can't pay because the website's validation fails for not selecting a payment method, but there is no payment method selection anywhere on the page, even after CTRL-F5 with uBlock Origin disabled. The JavaScript console has approximately eleventy billion exceptions logged during page load.

Anymore, I'm shocked when a website actually works.

EDIT: They removed my card for "reasons" and I need to re-add it. But their card number validator fails for every single card I own so I can't even add a payment method.

• @_P_ You want to remove X, but you have Y which depends on (X || Z), so logically we must install Z, which has 134 dependencies.

• @anonymous234 Or it could also be that uninstalling X automatically removes all its dependencies and only after uninstalling the dependencies does npm go look for: "Now, which dependencies I just deleted do the other packages need?"

• BINNED

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

You passed up a chance to use Wooden Table 2.0?

Or take a screenshot of your screenshot in paint! That seems the hip thing to do now!

• @Luhmann I'm pretty sure the hip thing to do is to stretch it by different, non-integral factors in X and Y:

9b6d6059-8efc-4871-a796-078c2be7b8da-image.png

• BINNED

@hungrier
    4694bef0-3f16-496c-94d4-1c79ad9ff603-image.png

hmm I'm missing some JPG artifacts

• @Luhmann I got you covered
    c69c078b-93ba-4e6f-a0c2-053fd5829739-image.png

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@Luhmann I'm pretty sure the hip thing to do is to stretch it by different, non-integral factors in X and Y:

9b6d6059-8efc-4871-a796-078c2be7b8da-image.png

Stop rendering text in Unity! 🚎