Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition

• @Bulb said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

But I've seen some cases where they painted on new lanes and didn't remove the old paint well, resulting in an utterly confusing mess of lines. That would totally freak out any lane assist

My experience is that lane assist tends to be conservative in how confident it is of detecting lines, i.e. unless it is absolutely sure it correctly picked them up, it doesn't engage. I see that fairly often, in cases like the one you describe, or even when the lines are just a bit faded, it often disengages (for that side of the road at least, and when I say "disengage", it's not that it turns itself off entirely, it just waits until it detects lines again).

So to the driver, lane assist looks like it does not detect lines when it should, rather than detecting the wrong ones. This is of course better to avoid steering into a fire truckthe next lane, but it means you cannot really rely on it working at any time. Which is how it was sold to me: it's a security feature that may help the driver in some cases when he's not paying attention, but nothing more (kind of like any other security feature: an airbag does not prevent the collision, nor guarantees that you won't die in the collision, but it reduces the risk).

I'm still on the fence as to whether it really is helpful or not. I've still left it on, but I may turn it off one day...

• ♿ (Parody)

@Bulb said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@dkf said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

e.g., where the road is part way through being resurfaced

Well, resurfaced means the lines are simply not there in some parts, so the lane assist won't be working for a while. But I've seen some cases where they painted on new lanes and didn't remove the old paint well, resulting in an utterly confusing mess of lines. That would totally freak out any lane assist (I've mainly seen it in the city, where it is not as much problem due to the low speed, but still).

Yeah. Add some rain or the sun being fairly low in front of you and that sort of thing can become impossible to see or differentiate.

• :belt_onion:

My general guess is that Tesla are trying very hard to avoid putting in the safety technologies that other car makers are already using, relying instead on cameras for everything, and that's not working as well as they'd hoped…

Well, as I understand it, most other car makers are using MobilEye chips. For some reason, MobilEye and Tesla parted ways a couple years ago, so now all the computer vision stuff is being done in house (which seems like a horrible idea).

• @remi said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

I'm still on the fence as to whether it really is helpful or not. I've still left it on, but I may turn it off one day...

That's why I didn't spend the extra money they wanted for the system. (I think it was something like $1000 or more)

• @boomzilla said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Yeah. Add some rain or the sun being fairly low in front of you and that sort of thing can become impossible even for a person to see or differentiate.

• @dkf said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

My general guess is that Tesla are trying very hard to avoid putting in the safety technologies that other car makers are already using

Because innovation, not copycat.

• @dcon said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@remi said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

That's why I didn't spend the extra money they wanted for the system. (I think it was something like $1000 or more)

Additional options on cars are ridiculously priced, but that's how they make money...

Anyway, for me I wanted some other options and they came in a package that included this one, or maybe (I don't remember) it was that once I had taken the other options, lane assist was just like 100-200 more, so I went for it. If it had been more expensive, I'm not sure I would have.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@heterodox said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

For some reason, MobilEye and Tesla parted ways

I'll $$$ give $$$ you $$$ three $$$ guesses $$$

• @izzion MobilEye's solution didn't support intentionally running into obstacles when they were big and red?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@hungrier
    More likely they didn't support only getting paid when Elon didn't need to pump up the stock price earnings report ahead of a new bond conversion window.

• @dkf said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

However, it is very dependent on the car being able to figure out where the edges of the lane really are; on some roads that's very hard to tell indeed

I'm thinking it doesn't work really well in snow-covered roads in 🇨🇦

• I was stopped at a red light. A series of fire trucks and an ambulance came down the cross-road, blasting through the intersection with their lights and sirens blaring, and they had the green light in their direction. Then, some other car (apparently completely oblivious to everything) came up beside me in another lane and ran the red light, squeezing between a fire truck and the ambulance, nearly getting hit by the ambulance and then continuing through the intersection as if nothing had happened.

• Notification Spam Recipient

• So how about a shopping cart driving story for a change?

At Wal-Mart. I'm trying to reach an aisle, but some lady is out in the middle with her cart turned sideways and blocking the entire path while she plays with her phone and is oblivious that approximately 11,000 people are trying and failing to get past her. She isn't inside a product aisle, she's actually blocking off one of the main walkways!

She ignored everyone and wouldn't move. So I found a nearby empty aisle, parked my cart there so it was out of the way, and took a long way around so I could get past this woman and grab the two things I needed on that end of the store.

I estimate I was away from my shopping cart for less than a minute. But when I returned, it was gone. Someone other shopper took it, along with everything in it. :wtf:

I was more confused than angry or annoyed.

• @mott555 That's usually when I first ask the person in question to move. And when they don't I move their cart for them. If they then want to bitch about it I merely turn up the volume of my headphones and tell them to have a nice day.

• Fake News

@Rhywden The thing is, typical Wal-Mart shoppers are as large as the Titanic and thus about as quick to adjust course.

• @lolwhat said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@Rhywden The thing is, typical Wal-Mart shoppers are as large as the Titanic and thus about as quick to adjust course.

The huge ones are the worst, because even considering their size, they still find ways to take up far more space than necessary. They'll walk right down the center of an aisle, going 0.7 MPH, and rapidly meander left-and-right so you can't step around them without getting squashed into the shelves. If they'd just move one foot to either side and walk in a predictable straight line, it'd be fine, but no, that requires some self-awareness and common courtesy towards others...

• @mott555 said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

that requires some self-awareness and common courtesy towards others...

They're trying to get people to ask them to move so they can rant-fat-shame. (I assume.)

typical Wal-Mart shoppers in USA are as large as the Titanic

FTFY

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dcon said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

They're trying to get people to ask them to move so they can rant-fat-shame.

Reply: “I can't hear you past all that blubber on your face.”

• If any video should've been filmed horizontally, this is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEXGEJc93vE

Luckily, someone else captured it as well:

https://youtu.be/rsVD1c5xWS0

:facepalm:

• Idiot on an electric skateboard (though cars often do this, too, and it annoys me almost as much). He's stopped for a red light. Smack in the middle of the traffic lane, oblivious (perhaps unintentionally, perhaps willfully) to the fact that if he scooted over just a little, the car(s) behind him who want to turn right could do so and be on their way, instead of sitting there burning fuel at the rate of ∞ l/km. Unlike cars in the same situation, it would be trivially easy for the skateboarder to not obstruct the traffic behind him; in fact, he had to go out of his way to obstruct it.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek Skateboarders on the road are the worst. Just the other day I saw one ignore warning lights in front of a fire station (this basically), asshole just kept going while several fire engines had to stop. Some people...

• Java Dev

@HardwareGeek said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Idiot on an electric skateboard (though cars often do this, too, and it annoys me almost as much). He's stopped for a red light. Smack in the middle of the traffic lane, oblivious (perhaps unintentionally, perhaps willfully) to the fact that if he scooted over just a little, the car(s) behind him who want to turn right could do so and be on their way, instead of sitting there burning fuel at the rate of ∞ l/km. Unlike cars in the same situation, it would be trivially easy for the skateboarder to not obstruct the traffic behind him; in fact, he had to go out of his way to obstruct it.

Having no experience with electric skateboards, I'll substitute a bicycle. For a cyclist, cars passing close to him is uncomfortable. While you might not see a problem in passing that stationary bike at slow speed, the perception of the cyclist may be different, and different cars may pass at higher speeds.

Additionally, once traffic starts moving, a cyclist standing nearer the curbside will need to check over his shoulder whether there are oncoming cars before he can safely start moving. It is even quite possible there never is a gap where they can start moving, and they'll be stuck for another round.

Conversely a cyclist wanting to turn to the opposite side of the road who is standing closer to the axis of the road will be that much closer to oncoming traffic (at a larger speed difference). They will also still obstruct cars also wanting to turn once the light turns green, depending on acceleration difference.

All of this of course assumes there are no protected turn lanes.

• @PleegWat said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

All of this of course assumes there are no protected turn lanes.

The intersection at which this occurred is a little difficult to describe in words, so I traced it (approximately, give or take some rotation to line up the streets with the cardinal directions and make them perpendicular — in reality, they're slightly oblique — and I omitted the railroad tracks that run east-west just north of the east-west street).

intersection.png

The north-south street has three through lanes, two protected left turn lanes, and no dedicated right turn lanes, in both directions. Southbound, the third lane ends a little beyond the intersection.

The east-west street is basically a single lane, except right at the intersection, where there is a protected left turn lane, and the through lane briefly splits into two lanes that merge into a single lane again after the intersection. (The diagonal lines are arrows indicating that the lane is ending and they need to merge left.) Eastbound, there is a bike lane on both sides of the intersection, in addition to the temporary lane. Westbound, there is no room for the bike lane and temporary lane, so the green rectangles are indications to motorists that they are sharing the lane with bikes; the bike lane resumes after the temporary lane ends. Note, these temporary lanes are not dedicated turn lanes; it is perfectly legal to continue straight through the intersection, although it is a bit discourteous, as it prevents following cars from making an otherwise possible and legal right turn on red.

The red dot indicates the position of the skateboarder, traveling westbound in the right lane. He stopped for the red light dead-center of the right-hand (temporary) lane. The car behind him (and possibly additional cars behind it, which I couldn't see) was signaling for a right turn, which it could easily have made, were its path not obstructed by the skateboarder. I'm going to assume it was a legal place for the skateboarder to be (it would be for a bike; I'm not sure of the legal status of skateboards), but certainly not the recommended position. As a cyclist, I would position myself either further left, on the white line, allowing cars to pass to my right and make the turn, or at the right edge of the road, more or less acting as a pedestrian at that point, and expecting cars to yield when the light turns green, just as they would be required to do for a pedestrian.

@HardwareGeek Excellent write-up. Would recommend.

• ♿ (Parody)

ATTEMPTED AUTO THEFT: 2000 block of Headlands Circle, 7/24/19, 11:54 p.m. The victim heard his Audi S8 engine turn on then saw a someone drive his car away. The driver of the stolen car was unable to navigate a round-about, stopped at a dead end in the neighborhood and two suspects ran from the car. The victim recovered his car.

• @boomzilla said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

unable to navigate a round-about

Sounds like a euphemism

• I was trying to leave the Wal-Mart parking lot, but some old lady was stopped at the very end of the parking aisle and completely oblivious. No one was coming and she could have turned out, but she wouldn't go. I honked, nothing. After waiting about a minute, she finally started to go--right as another car was driving past, which almost hit her on the side. She slammed on the brakes and stopped.

I went into reverse and was going to back all the way down to the other end to get around this lady. I made it about halfway when another car came up behind me and wouldn't let me past. So I went back forward, and by that time the old lady was gone.

Turned left onto the main pathway in front of Wal-Mart, and saw the old lady driving on the sidewalk! Then, she almost drove directly into the front end of a truck that was parked there while loading stuff from the Lawn and Garden center.

We made it up to the main street and the traffic light there, and she ended up directly on front of me in the left-turn lane. This is a dicey intersection because there's no green arrow for turning left, so I decided to switch lanes and go straight at the light just to avoid getting stuck behind this lady. The light turned green, I crossed the intersection, and hear a bunch of honking.

Old lady, despite being in the left-hand turn lane, went straight across the intersection, drove over the little concrete median on the other side, and continued driving right through oncoming traffic.

I have no words.

• @mott555: this is the kind of thing that should be reported to the police. With this kind of driving, it's only a matter of time before she gets killed and/or kills someone else.

• Fake News

@mott555 said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Wal-Mart

TheresYourProblem.com

• BINNED

• Fake News

Not much to see except the :wtf_owl: though it can be better enjoyed with sound:

https://imgur.com/gallery/avC61hC

• Fake News

And while I'm at it, here's an actual idiot:

https://imgur.com/gallery/PcPtfEh

• BINNED

@JBert
    He tried to jump over the tour but missed ...

@JBert said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Not much to see except the :wtf_owl: though it can be better enjoyed with sound:

I'm not seeing it. Just a dude on the road?

• Fake News

@Tsaukpaetra said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

I'm not seeing it. Just a dude on the road?

Notice that there's actually no bicycle lane there, which means he's cycling directly in traffic on the Manhattan bridge, NY.

Apparently the on-ramp for bicycles is notorious for being badly indicated which means that cyclists new to the area either end up on the pedestian bridge part or very rarely on the car part.

• Java Dev

And while I'm at it, here's an actual idiot:

https://imgur.com/gallery/PcPtfEh

Car's at fault. The bike came from the right.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@PleegWat said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Car's at fault. The cyclist went over the hood, not under the wheels.

• BINNED

@PleegWat said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Car's at fault. The cyclist went over the hood, not under the wheels.

Cyclist is at fault, he failed to jump the car like intended

• Fake News

Speaking of cyclists (WARNING: 8 meg GIF ahead)...

• @lolwhat cycling on such major highway does not look like an exactly reasonable thing to do, but the collision is of course clearly fault of the van driver—he just crossed several solid lines and ignored the direction indication by the cycler.

cycling on such major highway does not look like an exactly reasonable thing to do

I was under the impression that it was actually illegal... But I've never had reason to test that feeling.

@thegoryone said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

simply to take in the view

One of these days my Beauty module will progress to the point where I'll have an opinion on such things as "the view"....

As such, vehicle rear ends are hardly appealing to me...

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

cycling on such major highway does not look like an exactly reasonable thing to do

I was under the impression that it was actually illegal... But I've never had reason to test that feeling.

It is illegal if it has the motorroad or motorway sign.

If it does not, cycling is allowed, and the cyclist is expected to align with lanes like everybody else, just sticking to the rightmost (outermost) lane for direction they are going.

This also shows why you should have a rear-view mirror on your bike. I only have the left one, but if I was regularly going on multi-lanes, I'd add the right one too.

• @lolwhat That is one lucky cyclist.
    No matter what vehicle you are currently piloting, looking before changing lanes is a really fucking good idea. Taking your driving license in Sweden they hammer it into your thick skull endlessly, and if you fail to properly look before changing lanes, they will fail you on your test.
    Not that push bikes requires a driving license, but there are people unironically suggesting it being implemented. :facepalm:

• @Carnage It is a new lane, so there “can't” be anybody there. But of course it does not really matter it wasn't your fault if you get killed, so… (which is why I don't understand almost nobody has a mirror on their bike—it is incredibly useful, and the new ones that are just extension of the handlebars are light and add almost no drag).

• BINNED

I don't understand almost nobody has a mirror on their bike

because I already look dumb enough on my bike without it

then again ... I don't even have a bell on my bike ...

• @Bulb said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@Carnage It is a new lane, so there “can't” be anybody there. But of course it does not really matter it wasn't your fault if you get killed, so… (which is why I don't understand almost nobody has a mirror on their bike—it is incredibly useful, and the new ones that are just extension of the handlebars are light and add almost no drag).

People believe this a lot, but there may well be an emergency vehicle coming that way at a really high speed.