The Official Status Thread

• Considered Harmful

@Vixen said in The Official Status Thread:

on hold.

Applied-Mediocrity: *dials some call center*
    πŸ€–: All lines are currently busy. There are 2 callers on the queue before you.
    ο‚•: 🎢
    πŸ€–: All lines are currently busy. There are 2 callers on the queue before you.
    Applied-Mediocrity: *mumbles* oh ffs, you stupid cnuts, why is everybody calling at the same time *mumbles*
    πŸ€–: All lines are currently busy. There are 3 callers on the queue before you.
    Applied-Mediocrity: :wtf:?

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in The Official Status Thread:

on hold.

Applied-Mediocrity: *dials some call center*
    Applied-Mediocrity: *mumbles* oh ffs, you stupid cnuts, why everybody calling at the same time *mumbles*
    πŸ€–: All lines are currently busy. There are 3 callers on the queue before you.
    Applied-Mediocrity: :wtf:?

yeah basically that.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status

on hold.

:impotent_rage:

Status

was no longer on hold. now transferring to different department and on hold again.

:giant_squid_of_anger:

Status

Transferring again

πŸ₯ƒ

YourEnigma - Tavi and Scratch - "On Hold" (Ft. Rhyme Flow) – 04:52
    — Yourenigma

• @acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

Is it an official Samsung battery?

Yes. I've only ever bought new, same-model, Samsung-branded batteries.

Another fun one is un-calibrated protection ICs, which may have their coulomb counter wildly off.

Is this something fixable? I had bought a duplicate phone last year just in case but I'd rather not switch any sooner than I have to.

Edit: Might be relevant but the random shutoffs aren't like it reboots and goes on its merry way until the next one. If it gets through startup, I usually have maybe a minute before it shuts off again. That really seems like almost-dead battery behavior to me.

• BINNED

@Applied-Mediocrity
    VIP routing

• BINNED

Status: replaced the chain, clutch wheels and gear cogs on my bike. Got it back shifting properly. Did a test/celebratory round. Only to walk home with a flat tire. #cyclinglife

• Considered Harmful

The Visual Studio build failed. So I retried it. Fail. Retry. Fail. Retry. Fail. Retry... Success.

Am I crazy for expecting different results, or is Visual Studio for giving them?

Filed under: I think it was something wonky with file locks.

• Considered Harmful

@Luhmann said in The Official Status Thread:

@Applied-Mediocrity
    VIP routing

Could be that, could have been an emergency. It was a dental institute, dealing with all the horrible things ordinary dentists won't (IV sedation in my case). Timing of that robot was peculiar, though.

• @error said in The Official Status Thread:

Am I crazy for expecting different results, or is Visual Studio for giving them?

8101ed5c-3e06-4c08-bffe-1929e89ef479-image.png

• Java Dev

@error said in The Official Status Thread:

The Visual Studio build failed. So I retried it. Fail. Retry. Fail. Retry. Fail. Retry... Success.

Yes. Yes indeed.

• @Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

@acrow said in The Official Status Thread:>

Another fun one is un-calibrated protection ICs, which may have their coulomb counter wildly off.

Is this something fixable? I had bought a duplicate phone last year just in case but I'd rather not switch any sooner than I have to.

Assuming that this is one of those rigid battery packs with connections on one end, then sure! You just carefully open the cardboard-sticker-covering, de-solder the IC, hook it up to your favorite I2C probe, try and recognize the exact model, pull up the datasheet, issue the calibration command with your probe, direct the proper calibration current through a matched measuring resistor while the IC calibrates, then solder the IC back in and Bob's your uncle.

...or you could just buy another battery. It's easier. Sorry.

Edit: Might be relevant but the random shutoffs aren't like it reboots and goes on its merry way until the next one. If it gets through startup, I usually have maybe a minute before it shuts off again. That really seems like almost-dead battery behavior to me.

It sure sounds like it's reading the battery state wrong. But it may as well be a busted battery or moisture damage. Either way, you're getting a fraction of the rated capacity, and the IC is not recognizing this.

Now, I'm working on the assumption that you're handling one of those semi-rectangular user-changeable battery packs. If you're handling a bare cell with wires coming out, then the faulty IC is part of your phone, and you'll have to either get someone take a look at your phone's PCB, or just toss it.

Now, I'm working on the assumption that you're handling one of those semi-rectangular user-changeable battery packs.

Yeah, it's a plastic brick with a few exposed headers on one end. My phone is old enough to still have a user-replaceable battery so it's no big deal replacing it. I just thought it sounded like the potentially faulty ICs were part of the phone itself. We'll see what's up in a few days when I get around to installing the new battery.
    samsung-galaxy-s4-active-aa-battery.jpg

Assuming that this is one of those rigid battery packs with connections on one end, then sure! You just carefully open the cardboard-sticker-covering, de-solder the IC, hook it up to your favorite I2C probe, try and recognize the exact model, pull up the datasheet, issue the calibration command with your probe, direct the proper calibration current through a matched measuring resistor while the IC calibrates, then solder the IC back in and Bob's your uncle.

A full discharge - recharge cycle (or three) may be enough to get the IC into a reasonable state. That may not be easy to do if your phone shuts off before the battery is actually discharged, though.

@Zerosquare said in The Official Status Thread:

@acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

A full discharge - recharge cycle (or three) may be enough to get the IC into a reasonable state. That may not be easy to do if your phone shuts off before the battery is actually discharged, though.

Yeah, one way to do that is put it into recovery mode and let it sit there: auto shutoff is not a thing in the recovery IIRC.

• Status: Wrote implementations of Conway's Game of Life in 1D and 2D in python for my programming class.

I had them play it manually (on very small, 1D grids) first, then had them complete the algorithm to implement the 1D case. I also demoed the 2D case for small input sizes.

Went pretty well. I think.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

The popular claim was that lack of disk space would cause this

wat. It might cause many things, but random power-off and altered audio rate is not among them...

What you mean is "in a properly designed system, it shouldn't". Thinking all phones are properly designed is... optimistic.

Many years ago, several series of Nokia phones (including the [in]famous N-Gage everyone ridiculed) had a nasty bug. If there was not enough free space left, the boot process would fail and you only got a blank, white screen. Even the "holding keys while powering on to enable recovery mode" trick didn't work.

The only way to solve this was to rewrite the memory using special tools, which only Nokia stores (and maybe some third-party ones) had.
    The bug was known for several years. But Nokia never fixed it.

• Considered Harmful

1c338742-adc2-496a-811b-b8cebd42702d-image.png

It's been 3 days since Windows 10 mandated a reboot, but apparently my Windows version is "nearing the end of support."

Filed under: I think it was something wonky with file locks.

Ah. Fucking virus scanners.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

Wrote implementations of Conway's Game of Life

One place a worked a few years ago, that was the programming challenge we were given. 3 hrs. I nailed it. (and went beyond the hard requirements making a cool UI and edge wrapping and configurable playing fields and I forget what else) Once there, I got to see the other side of the interview. And was amazed (ok, not really) at some of the clusterfucks of code that were attempted.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

Conway's Game of Life in 1D

Is that a thing?

• πŸ”€

15718770292667538258235187253684.jpg

• @hungrier said in The Official Status Thread:

@Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

Conway's Game of Life in 1D

Is that a thing?

Yes, but it's a bit different (and more prone to extinction). Basically, a given cell will switch occupation states IFF it has exactly 1 occupied neighbor.

• Considered Harmful

OK, updates are installed!

afa00b61-7b1b-48ba-9e0e-1251d1a39f01-image.png

Or... not?

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

I have a little side project of designing guitar overdrive pedals. Mostly just to learn (audio-frequency analog electronics, PCB design and layout, etc. Lots of interesting stuff to learn) but I intend to try to sell them once I have a final PCB design I like. It's mostly a clone of a common Ibanez design, but I made a few minor circuit tweaks to improve it for my tastes.

So my latest PCB design was a switch to SMT parts. I thought, hey, it makes the board a lot smaller and I can put stuff on two sides which was really difficult with through-hole parts, and that'll make packing the pedal much easier because it takes up less space. Sure, it might be a little tricky to hand-solder discrete SMT parts, but we'll give it a try.

Status: Digi-Key order full of SMT components showed up today. Yeah, um, wow, those things are really freaking tiny...I'll give it a try when my newest batch of PCB's shows up, but those things are really freaking tiny. Did I mention those SMT components are really, really small? Yeah. Small. Very.

• @mott555 This guy has some good SMD techniques with parts that are smaller than they look:

SNES RGB and SMD Soldering Talks – 08:03
    — Voultar

• Considered Harmful

@error_bot There's at least a reflection of a wooden table.

@error_bot said in The Official Status Thread:

15718770292667538258235187253684.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think it is Office Chair.

• @Zerosquare said in The Official Status Thread:

@acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

Yes and no. That'll bring the battery management IC's coulomb counter to a reasonable state IIF its internal ADC was correctly calibrated upon assembly. If not, then it reads the voltage wildly off, and refuses to allow charging beyond a certain point, which I suspect is well below the cell's CV-charge voltage. I.e. you'd still only get a fraction of the pack, even though the IC thinks the pack is full.

The IC embedded in the battery pack needs to work off a very low power consumption, so the ADC in them is (typically, as far as I understand it - I've only worked with a couple of them) not designed to be accurate off the bat. The pre-amplifier coming from the current measurement even less so. The voltage amplification might be in the range of 200x-600x, and the real value is discovered in the (factory) calibration phase, when a known current is passed through the circuit, and measured by the IC for reference.

The cycling is worth a try, though. In that you're correct. It's the cheapest fix if it works. But I'd do it in a non-flammable environment. There's an IC embedded in the battery pack for a reason, and if it doesn't work... lithium-polymer batteries are very flammable.

• @mott555 said in The Official Status Thread:

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

I have a little side project of designing guitar overdrive pedals. Mostly just to learn (audio-frequency analog electronics, PCB design and layout, etc. Lots of interesting stuff to learn) but I intend to try to sell them once I have a final PCB design I like. It's mostly a clone of a common Ibanez design, but I made a few minor circuit tweaks to improve it for my tastes.

So my latest PCB design was a switch to SMT parts. I thought, hey, it makes the board a lot smaller and I can put stuff on two sides which was really difficult with through-hole parts, and that'll make packing the pedal much easier because it takes up less space. Sure, it might be a little tricky to hand-solder discrete SMT parts, but we'll give it a try.

Status: Digi-Key order full of SMT components showed up today. Yeah, um, wow, those things are really freaking tiny...I'll give it a try when my newest batch of PCB's shows up, but those things are really freaking tiny. Did I mention those SMT components are really, really small? Yeah. Small. Very.

I hope your order included a bottle of good soldering flux, then. And you do have a temperature-controlled soldering iron, right?

Which level of tiny are we talking here anyway? SOIC? MSOP? SOT?

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra
    I spend several minutes expecting a hidden dildo or something

Status: Chrome choked displaying a 20Mb text file. I can't imagine why...

75f0d301-bf53-4687-b58d-15735b48c41c-image.png

Pegged a core for about five minutes before it gave up. Rendering is currently capped at 0.4 FPS (approx).

Making the window smaller broke it more...

32394420-1c28-47f2-b24e-2f1962febcf4-image.png

And the log just kinda dies...

8c56ff45-ad1a-4fa4-accc-394d6f2032bc-image.png

But I blame Jenkins for that.

Edit: I was right to blame Jenkins. Downloaded the file and re-opened it local and...

ea8aa60b-1a85-42f8-b2df-732e466f3927-image.png

That's a lotta damageRAM!

@Luhmann said in The Official Status Thread:

@Tsaukpaetra
    I spend several minutes expecting a hidden dildo or something

No. But I did detect Sprite Bottle (21 percent confidence) and DASANI Bottled Water bottle 21 Oz (14 percent confidence).

Gotta stay hydrated no matter what you do!

c405f172-098b-42e9-af8b-3f84c8a09776-image.png

I would have stopped after retrying once for a "This domain literally doesn't exist", but I appreciate the effort!

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra
    I'm still stuck at Waldo.

• Java Dev

Status: Test results are in. Apparently I got a thyroid hormone deficiency. So I need to pick up some medicine for that today. Woo.

So that's the second time they find a deficiency that's unrelated (probably) to what I went to the doctor for originally.

• BINNED

@Atazhaia said in The Official Status Thread:

thyroid hormone deficiency

πŸ‘‹

I'm taking extra T hormone for over 10 years now. It's rather stable. Just take the daily pill.

• @Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

I immediately thought it was the battery and ordered a new one because Samsung batteries are cheap now. Last time I replaced a battery, it just ran down fast, like I could watch the percentage drop to zero inside of 20 minutes. The diagnostic mode on this thing says the battery is fine. I've been able to let it run as a phone for hours. It's always when I use the browser that it shuts off like this. But, then, I was able to run it down to 20% over the course of the day only occasionally using it. I thought it was fixed, went to take some photos for eBay auctions, and it shut off.

I've had a problem with a damaged battery, it would probably just not deliver enough volt or amp so the phone died instantly whenever it did something that required a bit more power. When started, the battery was flat most of the time, but occasionally it'd work anyway.
    So you may have a damaged battery that still works, but doesn't properly follow the performance curve for discharge to the "power left" estimate is wildly off.

I hope your order included a bottle of good soldering flux, then. And you do have a temperature-controlled soldering iron, right?
    Which level of tiny are we talking here anyway? SOIC? MSOP? SOT?

I did order some liquid soldering flux, the kind you dispense with a needle. And while I don't have a temperature-controlled soldering iron yet, I found a fairly cheap one on Amazon with good reviews I plan to buy. It might be a while, sometimes it takes 6 - 8 weeks to get PCB's from EasyEDA/Shenzen.

I have no idea what SOIC/MSOP/SOT mean. All but three of the resistors are 1/8-watt, the other three are 1/4-watt because they'll handle power and not signal. The footprints all appear to be 2 - 3 millimeters for the most part. The first part I looked at was the 1N914 clipping diodes, and they are definitely smaller than 2mm and probably the smallest part of the build (I hope...I haven't looked everything over yet.)

Here is a screenshot of the newest PCB. Hardware guys run for your life, I really don't know what I'm doing but I can get away with a lot of probably bad things because it's analog audio-frequency stuff and not high-speed digital πŸ˜†. The board size is about 1.45 inches by 1.1 inches. The big 3x3 array of holes allows me to solder the board straight to the TPDT switch that controls the board, for physical support and to clean up the build. Previous boards didn't solder to the switch or handle bypassing, so I had to cut and place a ton of wiring for that and it took up about a third of my assembly time, plus the older boards just floated inside the enclosure and I had to wrap it in layers of electrical tape to keep it from shorting out on the chassis.

PCB_Mott-Overdrive-SMT-PCB-v4_20191024082604.png

It's a 4-layer PCB, screenshot only shows the top. Bottom layer has a few more traces and components but it isn't as busy as the top. Inside, there's a ground layer as well as a power layer that's split between 9V and 4.5V.

Once I see how this works (if it works at all, rev 3 of the board had absolutely no distortion due to a layout error I couldn't locate), I'll probably do another revision that rearranges something. If the small parts are easy to work with, I might try to pack them closer together. If not, I'll probably try to switch to larger parts. Or maybe I'll realize this is nuts and go back to through-hole.

• @error I don't understand how so much software has become basically non-deterministic. There's no reason for a compile to randomly succeed or fail. There's no reason for clicking a category link on a storefront to randomly return 1 of 0 results either. Yet here we are.

Status: Wondering why, over 8 years after it sputtered to a halt, CSharpCorner suddenly starting sending me newsletters again. I can't even remember the the last time I actually looked at that site for anything. Is it just me or did anybody here get e-mails from them between September 2008 and January 2019?

• Considered Harmful

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

There's no reason for a compile to randomly succeed or fail.

Filesystem locks were almost certainly the culprit here.

I like how Linux allows you to delete a file even if it's open; open file handles keep working until they're closed, but the file name will be available for new files.

I like how Linux allows you to delete a file even if its open; open file handles keep working until they're closed, but the file name will be available for new files.

The sign of a properly engineered system πŸ§˜β™‚

Locking a file because it's in loaded in memory is :trwtf:

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@TimeBandit
    Right up until your load average hits 999.99 and your hard drive fills up from keeping all those old snapshots around because you keep overwriting files while they’re in use and never flush things out.

• @izzion Congrats on finding an unlikely edge case where locking files could prevent it, I guess πŸ€·β™‚

• Java Dev

@izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

@TimeBandit
    Right up until your load average hits 999.99 and your hard drive fills up from keeping all those old snapshots around because you keep overwriting files while they’re in use and never flush things out.

Usually it's an application being too verbose in its logging. It'll keep writing log data to disk even after you already deleted the name.

• @TimeBandit said in The Official Status Thread:

Locking a file because it's in loaded in memory is :trwtf:

The .NET framework used to do that with bitmaps for some reason.

• @mott555 said in The Official Status Thread:

And while I don't have a temperature-controlled soldering iron yet, I found a fairly cheap one on Amazon with good reviews I plan to buy.

A few years ago I got an Aoyue soldering station, a clone of the Hakko 937 design, and so far it's worked great for me.

Fake edit: Specifically, this one

• @hungrier said in The Official Status Thread:

@mott555 said in The Official Status Thread:

And while I don't have a temperature-controlled soldering iron yet, I found a fairly cheap one on Amazon with good reviews I plan to buy.

A few years ago I got an Aoyue soldering station, a clone of the Hakko 937 design, and so far it's worked great for me.

Fake edit: Specifically, this one

Unavailable in the U.S. ☹ I like the digital temp display and it's not terribly priced, either.

• @mott555 Weird, usually it's the other way around (US Amazon has something, Canadian doesn't). But I think there should be lots of cheap home-gamer soldering stations available on the US store anyway.

• @hungrier There are, but most of the ones I found were no-name Chinese imports with mediocre reviews. This was the one I looked at. Super cheap, no temp display, but it's from a known brand.