WTF Bites

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Although I'd probably have to hack an old one because it's got all that usual HP hardware authentication shit.

if HP managed to bake hardware authentication shit into a CR2032..... i'll be both impressed and disappoint.....

• Considered Harmful

@Vixen said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Although I'd probably have to hack an old one because it's got all that usual HP hardware authentication shit.

if HP managed to bake hardware authentication shit into a CR2032..... i'll be both impressed and disappoint.....

Don't give them any ideas, they'd be the first ones to implement this!

They'd cost $50 for 2mAh because the whole logic takes so much space. Much like in this one, this is how the cache batteries look:
    61cIVJHNNXL.SL1500.jpg
    You get a slightly higher capacity battery in every $10 Nokia phone, I think as a spare they are about 40¢. The HP shit is about $80.
    Just found that someone has done the haxx0ring already

• @Vixen said in WTF Bites:

i mean........ i havent bought an AAA game since Fallout 4 and i'm mildly regretting that one.....

Last game I bought was Portal2...

• @Parody said in WTF Bites:

plenty of opportunities to rebuy everything yearly!

You forgot: Plenty of opportunities to buy in-game extras every day. Because you can't play without them.

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

i mean........ i havent bought an AAA game since Fallout 4 and i'm mildly regretting that one.....

good game.

not quite as charming as Portal 1 in my opinion, but pretty damn good game and nailed the feel of the ending.

• Fake News

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

Great game unless it makes you nauseous... Luckily it doesn't for me.

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

Everything made in the last 15 years is crap.

I've enjoyed Portal 2, Dishonored or Mirror's Edge too much to let that stand unchallenged. Sturgeon's law is a far safer bet.

• @Vixen I found it to be even better than the first one. The new mechanics were fun, while still maintaining a consistent feeling of "crazy stuff Aperture would have invented." GLaDOS was evil and menacing... and then got some surprising depth when she ended up on your team. And J K Simmons's monologues as a man teetering on the brink of sanity were absolutely hilarious from beginning to end.

While the first one had fun gameplay mechanics and insane killer AI humor, this had fun gameplay mechanics, insane killer AI humor, and a story. (And a pretty good story at that!) And stories make games better, almost without exception.

• BINNED

@JBert said in WTF Bites:

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

Everything made in the last 15 years is crap.

I've enjoyed Portal 2, Dishonored or Mirror's Edge too much to let that stand unchallenged. Sturgeon's law is a far safer bet.

I also bought Portal 2, it was amazing. Even though I already hated Steam back then.
    You’d have to adapt Sturgeon’s margin from “90% of everything is shit” to “99.9% of everything is shit, except Portal and Half Life”.

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

They'd cost $50 for 2mAh because the whole logic takes so much space. Much like in this one, this is how the cache batteries look:
    61cIVJHNNXL.SL1500.jpg
    You get a slightly higher capacity battery in every $10 Nokia phone, I think as a spare they are about 40¢. The HP shit is about $80.

Um, not to rain on his parade but this guy is the real :wtf:

I have one such printer: They have two modes of operation, each of which are made explicitly clear on how they work (my parents have one as well and they understand the principles easily!)

a) The "normal" mode. This is the default. You run out of ink. You replace the cartridge. Here you basically pay for the amount of ink you use - full colour pages (e.g. photos) will be more expensive than just text.
    b) The "Instant Ink" mode. This is opt-in. Here you pay for one of three tiers of ink (50, 100 and 300 pages per month - which is also roll-over for one month. Only use 250 pages out of your 300 pages? Next month you have a 350 pages limit). Once the printer determines that your cartridges are getting low you'll get new ones by mail before it runs out. Plus an envelope so you can send the old one back for free to be recycled. With this mode you're basically switching to a fixed price for pages because it does not matter how much ink you're using per page.

You can switch between the two modes at any time and the subscription for Instant Ink can be moved between tiers for each month individually. It's also a one-month subscription so you can cancel anytime.

It's not such a bad deal if you're actually printing roughly along one of the three tiers.

Again: This guy actively signed up for a service for one year. And somehow missed all the information given to him while signing up.

• WTF of my day: So, I have this Mac Mini (2018) specifically for being able to do iOS development. Before I was able to discover how to do Development and Production profiles (in order to not being forced to either test in production or move certificate files manually everytime I switch build profiles.), I used the provided iOS simulator a lot.

Because, frankly, it's also a bit annoying to re-install the production app after every time I had done some work on the dev app.

Sometimes I'm still using the simulator, though.

In completely unrelated news, my Mac Mini ran hot while being suspended. I'm talking about "scald your hands when touching / the fans doubling as a hair dryer" hot.
    In suspension, mind.

Turns out that if you suspend with default settings, a Mac will wake from time to time in order to check for updates or run backup scripts. That's fine.
    This waking procedure seems to also wake the simulator, though. At seemingly 100% CPU time. Which also seems to prevent a further suspension.

Good job, Apple.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Again: This guy actively signed up for a service for one year. And somehow missed all the information given to him while signing up.

See all the discussions about delete buttons and modal dialogs.

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

@Parody said in WTF Bites:

plenty of opportunities to rebuy everything yearly!

You forgot: Plenty of opportunities to buy in-game extras every day. Because you can't play without them.

Just like getting more quarters from your Mom so you could play a couple more games of Pac-Man. :/

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

which in turn requires signing up for separate email

I see you haven't discovered the magic of "plus codes"...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Each requires an account

So?

which in turn requires signing up for separate email (so you know who leaked it when you inevitably start receiving spam)

No, because I don't bother with that.

and comes with all the mental effort involved with yet another account setup and management

I mean, entering the basic details required for sign up is basically zero effort.

I refuse to complicate my own life by jumping through stupid hoops

OK but it seems like it's you who classes it complicated.

• Fake News

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

which in turn requires signing up for separate email

Tried one of those on a website today, got an ERROR_INVALID_EMAIL, didn't get the T-shirt.

• Banned

@Tsaukpaetra That requires using gmail, I already struggle to keep Google from harvesting signed out search history, I am not going to use gmail just so I can use + trick. Trading no spam for no privacy is not an option.

Don't you have your own domain? Why won't you setup a few wildcard email accounts for it?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Also, how many accounts are you going to allow to store your credit card?

Steam is the only one that has it saved.

How many authenticators you will end up installing on your phone?

Steam and Battle.Net are the only ones with their own app. Everything else works with a standard authenticator app that I use for eveything else - Authy, in my case.

How many times and on how many services will you have to re-authenticate yourself when you get a new phone?

Authy backs stuff up. Also I change phone every few years, so even if it was a problem it'd be a rare problem.

How many times you will be asked to re-enter account credentials and then have to reach for your phone to get and enter the 2FA/OTP code before you can play a game?

Rarely.

That requires using gmail,

False.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Many sites have either caught on, or the opposite where they don't even think it's valid. And I'm sure spammers have figured it out by now.

• Considered Harmful

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

61cIVJHNNXL.SL1500.jpg

I have one such printer: They have two modes of operation, each of which are made explicitly clear on how they work (my parents have one as well and they understand the principles easily!)

True in a way, in 2019 you should know better than to buy HP printers other than from the recycling center (that LJ5 I snatched at university before they could trash it in 2002 is still working fine). On the other hand, retailers seem to push this program without explaining how it works.

The usual 250 pages of fine print?

• BINNED

Do we have a thread of "programs that spew useless notifications" yet?

Threads are free!

But if we do get one it should be forced to 'watching' for everyone.

🤔 Maybe this belongs in the evil ideas one :arrows:

• :belt_onion:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

retailers seem to push this program without explaining how it works.

Heh. You have no idea how true that is...

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

Essentially, Windows keeps track of a current working directory per drive (as well as a current drive). If you say "foo\bar", it looks for "foo\bar" in the CWD of the current drive. If you say "C:foo\bar", it looks for "foo\bar" in the CWD of drive C. If you say "\foo\bar", you look for a file "bar" in a directory "foo" in the root of the current drive.

So C:foo\bar is file "bar" in folder "foo" in the CWD for drive C:, and C:\foo\bar is file "bar" in folder "foo" in the root directory of drive C:?
    TIL.

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Essentially, Windows keeps track of a current working directory per drive (as well as a current drive). If you say "foo\bar", it looks for "foo\bar" in the CWD of the current drive. If you say "C:foo\bar", it looks for "foo\bar" in the CWD of drive C. If you say "\foo\bar", you look for a file "bar" in a directory "foo" in the root of the current drive.

So C:foo\bar is file "bar" in folder "foo" in the CWD for drive C:, and C:\foo\bar is file "bar" in folder "foo" in the root directory of drive C:?
    TIL.

Yes! It's actually useful somewhat when copying files between drives or other highly-specific things non normal users may do!

Speaking of, I recovered my CompTia A+ test from 2011:

15795050051077548879568619807621.jpg

Apparently I couldn't differentiate between Windows 2000 and Vista directories (somehow). My bet was a question of "what version of Windows uses the folder WINNT?"

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra the score is scaled between 100 and 900, with passing set at 700? What moronic scale is that?!

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra You were trying to pass BOFH exams? ↕1⃣

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra the score is scaled between 100 and 900, with passing set at 700? What moronic scale is that?!

Between 100 and 900. So, it follows the U.S. standard of never giving a score of 0, which could be interpreted as an implied "you're a total moron", which, while often true, is a lawsuit-able offence.

After you discount that, it seems to have a passing score of approximately 7/8, or 87,5%.

• BINNED

@acrow 6/8.

• @topspin ...Aaand the scale tries to make the pass-criteria look more strict than it actually is. Gotcha.

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

TIL about 🔟 . What keyboard has this key on it?🙊

• @Pockets said in WTF Bites:

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

@Pockets said in WTF Bites:

What would happen with an industry of only '10x Rockstar Developers'?

Easy: the only game available would be GTA :trollface:

No, Red Dead Redemption. Got to have the Cowboys.

Oh, the horror! Cowboy developers making car analogies?! Spare me!

• @El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

@El_Heffe said in WTF Bites:

When they changed to the current format a couple of years ago

It was last year. Summer, IIRC.

It seems longer
    🤷♂

It was a whole different decade. 🍹

F10❓

• Banned

Apparently I couldn't differentiate between Windows 2000 and Vista directories (somehow). My bet was a question of "what version of Windows uses the folder WINNT?"

...Seriously? I never even used 2000 in my life and still can figure out it'd be the only one of the three.

...Seriously? I never even used 2000 in my life and still can figure out it'd be the only one of the three.

Not seriously. But, now that you mentioned it, I distinctly remembered several XP installations managing to get themselves installed under WINNT. I learned to try avoiding hardcoded paths for that reason.

F10❓

Then where is :keycap_11: and every other standard one?

• Considered Harmful

F10❓

Then where is :keycap_11: and every other standard one?

Not needed. All you need for good k/d ratio is LMB with 20K dpi, 300 fps and as much rgb as you can carry.

Off by one error. Someone was told to "add all 10 digits", so they added 1⃣ to 🔟. Then they got yelled at for being morons and added 0⃣, but removing 🔟 required creating a new ticket so it got forgotten.

• Banned

Don't you have your own domain? Why won't you setup a few wildcard email accounts for it?

How is that reducing the extraneous cognitive load associated with creating and maintaining additional and totally unnecessary accounts?

It doesn't, but it reduces the extraneous cognitive load associated with creating and maintaining additional and totally unnecessary mailboxes. I was just replying to the + thing, nothing else.

• Banned

@levicki that's DRM for you 🤷♂ the world is changing, adapt or die.

• Needed to find the trim code for my pickup truck in order to get some compatible (i.e. color-matching) replacement parts for the interior. I can't find a lookup chart online that matches the trim code to the color. They're all in video format. :facepalm: It should be a simple table with about 6 entries in it that I could read in about 10 seconds, but no, it's a 20 minute video because marketing idiots rule the world.

• BINNED

@levicki that's DRM for you 🤷♂ the world is changing, adapt or die.

As per my rant above, I'll take the latter, and my money with me.

Filed under: zeugma

:hanzo:'d goddammit.

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

Needed to find the trim code for my pickup truck in order to get some compatible (i.e. color-matching) replacement parts for the interior. I can't find a lookup chart online that matches the trim code to the color. They're all in video format. :facepalm: It should be a simple table with about 6 entries in it that I could read in about 10 seconds, but no, it's a 20 minute video because marketing idiots rule the world.

They start with a photo of how to identify your trim code, which is a sticker in the glove box. The example sticker they show has MY TRIM CODE. Guess which trim code is NEVER mentioned in the video? MY TRIM CODE. :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk:

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

I have my own. But the hosting company where the email server is doesn't support them. (At least the last time I tried...)

Well, since he enrolled in the program (probably top-tier), then he can print them!

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

The latter will evenutally happen to everyone. Why waste energy adapting?

Welcome to the :belt_onion::kneeling_warthog: club!

• @remi said in WTF Bites:

Off by one error. Someone was told to "add all 10 digits", so they added 1⃣ to 🔟. Then they got yelled at for being morons and added 0⃣, but removing 🔟 required creating a new ticket so it got forgotten.

The reality appears to be somewhat dumber:

Keycap: 10 was approved as part of Unicode 6.0 in 2010 under the name “Keycap Ten” and added to Emoji 1.0 in 2015.

Looking at the list for Unicode 6.0, keycap 10 appears to be the only keycap there, along with some other "button" ones like 🆒

Keycaps 0 through 9, as well as #, * and ⁉, come from Unicode 3.0 which also addedapproved "Combining enclosing keycap" that wasn't added until Unicode 11.0

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

Needed to find the trim code for my pickup truck in order to get some compatible (i.e. color-matching) replacement parts for the interior. I can't find a lookup chart online that matches the trim code to the color. They're all in video format. :facepalm: It should be a simple table with about 6 entries in it that I could read in about 10 seconds, but no, it's a 20 minute video because marketing idiots rule the world.

Try writing a video analysis program, maybe you can do it in less than 20 minutes? 🍹

Nobody could share knowledge better than that

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

61cIVJHNNXL.SL1500.jpg

True in a way, in 2019 you should know better than to buy HP printers other than from the recycling center (that LJ5 I snatched at university before they could trash it in 2002 is still working fine). On the other hand, retailers seem to push this program without explaining how it works.

Still not seeing where this is any of HP's fault. And no, it's not 250 pages. It's one page. If those guys can't read easily parseable information then maybe they shouldn't be trusted with running anything important.

I mean, the idiot entered his CC info for a service he didn't bother to read up about and also was completely incapable of entering the words "Instant Ink" into any search engine.

• Considered Harmful

Seriously? The introduction example app on the reactjs homepage uses dangerouslySetInnerHTML?