WTF Bites

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

Which means the factory cannot be used to spit out classes for other file types, and it's a totally useless factory.

Sounds like C++ alright. Everything's great until you want to do something a little bit more complex (e.g., using a faster memory allocator for a critical bottleneck), and then everything fucks you over completely.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

using a faster memory allocator for a critical bottleneck

We've got polymorphic allocators now, at least.

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

We've got polymorphic allocators now, at least.

But if you want to actually use them, be prepared for !!fun!! as you first deal with the cancer of unusual templates spreading all over, and secondly try to make the code compile with several compilers (all of whom have been asked to use exactly the same version of the standard, but obviously aren't really doing that because that would be too nice…) If I sound aggrieved, it's because I am. Also, we measured Java as being significantly faster than C++ for exactly the same task (downloading 20MB of data via a nasty UDP-based protocol) though with a significantly higher variance; after going through everything with a fine-toothed comb in both codebases, differences in memory management were the only possible cause…

Or the guy doing the measurements fucked up. That's also possible, but not an immediate definite idea as the outer program that called these two subprocesses was identical.

• WTF of my day: So, the new season of Westworld has begun. Due to the licensing shenanigans involved with countries other than US, I don't have direct access to HBO.

But never fear, we have a PayTV provider who got the rights to stream that series in Germany. No, it's not Netflix. Ain't Amazon either.

It's Sky!

And, by God, does their service suck donkey dicks. But at least I got a rebate and 5€ per month is not that bad as I can cancel from one month to the next.

So, here's how that went:

1. Click on the link included in the email.
    2. Get redirected to the SignIn-Page.
    3. Do the needful and be logged in.
    4. Realize that the rebate went poof and they want full price.
    5. Close the page, click on the link from the email again and presto! Got the rebate.
    6. Get a message: "Well, congratulations! Your access will be upgraded soon(tm)!"
    7. Wait two hours then go to sleep after realizing that obviously someone has to manually do a thing(tm).
    8. Open Edge, realize that the site looks funny and switch to Chrome because obviously some webdesigners think that there shall be only one.
    9. Click on the Westworld series. Click on the play button for episode 2.1
    10. Get an error message that "RA_SKY is undefined"
    11. The "Check Browser Configuration" link under the error message leads to a 404.
    12. The "How does this work?" link leads to stuff which is not helpful.
    13. Install the Sky app through the MS Store.
    14. Uninstall the Sky app because it doesn't want to work. Why? Because I have two monitors. And that is of the devil. I have to physically unplug one of them. Not a joke.
    15. Start Edge. Browse the Sky site despite it looking funny. Click on the play button.
    16. It works!
    17. Well, somewhat. Because the "Buffering Spinner" doesn't go away and that thing is massive.
    18. Reload the page.
    19. Watch the episode.

• Java Dev

Well, Nvidia got one out of three links in swedish, at least.

0_1525038659204_nvidia-translate.PNG

(The first one. The second looks german. And the third is english, obviously.)

• @atazhaia No, that's not german. Dutch maybe?

• Java Dev

@cvi Definite match for Dutch.

• @pleegwat said in WTF Bites:

Yeah, I concur. Because it sounds like Drunken German if you speak it out loud. :trollface:

• @rhywden said in WTF Bites:

@pleegwat said in WTF Bites:

Yeah, I concur. Because it sounds like Drunken German if you speak it out loud. :trollface:

FWIW - it also sounds like Drunken Swedish. ;-)

• Fake News

:wtf:: Sprint and T-Mobile are discussing a merger. This is the third time they've talked about it. I have no idea why they think it would make more sense to do it now vs. the other two times...

• Considered Harmful

Hooray for intelligent compilers!
    https://i.imgur.com/6eQGife.png
    That'd make sense for a variable.
    Not as a return value.
    :facepalm:

• I stumble across this:

Second, YAML allergies are on the rise everywhere, just use TOML :)

Apparently, not having learned things in my life, instead of going "whatever", I go "TOML ... what's that? I never liked YAML anyway". Well:

What the hell? We're back to .ini files again? Sure, they're somewhat polished and support some new fancy stuff(*), but they're still essentially the .ini files that I could throw my 15+ year old parser at and it would be just fine after a few minor modifications (as far as 15 year old abandoned code can be considered "fine").

(On the up-side, this one comes with BNF syntax, so at least it's not totally useless.)

(*) There were plenty of extensions to various .ini files, so it's not even new fancy stuff for the most part.

• Considered Harmful

@cvi It's got an actual defined spec, and it can be turned into JSON objects instead of simple key-value pairs. INI is a good format for user-facing config files, without presenting users with things they may not understand like object structure, and TOML addresses why it was deprecated.

• BINNED

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

sounds like Drunken Swedish.

Is there an other kind?

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

It's like someone read a book on design patterns and brainlessly stuffed every single one everywhere, making a tangled ball that totally negates the pros of using such design patterns.

That's usually how patterns end up being used.

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

@mott555 Ugh. So the factory method requires a reference to the data being imported, which is a specific C++ type locked to the specific file type rather than some interface. Which means the factory cannot be used to spit out classes for other file types, and it's a totally useless factory.

Now, just wrap the Factory in a FactoryFactory so you can build factories for different file types?
    And soon you'll have built a Java 1.4 application! (I've come upon FactoryFactoryManagerManagers in that particular language version)

Due to the licensing shenanigans involved with countries other than US, I don't have direct access to HBO.

Us unclean savages to the north of you even get HBO, well... HBO Nordic.
    Bit weird that Germany doesnt get it tbh. Though, media conglomerates being media conglomerates, not terribly surprising.

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

@pleegwat said in WTF Bites:

FWIW - it also sounds like Drunken Swedish. ;-)

You mean Danish? :trollface:

• 🚽 Regular

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

Not as a return value.

I'm confused. Is PieconomyServerAccount a subclass of Account?

What makes you say that'd make sense for a variable but not as a return value?

• 🚽 Regular

@carnage said in WTF Bites:

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

It's like someone read a book on design patterns and brainlessly stuffed every single one everywhere, making a tangled ball that totally negates the pros of using such design patterns.

That's usually how patterns end up being used.

People cling to "pattern" and forget about "design".

@luhmann said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

sounds like Drunken Swedish.

Is there an other kind?

Yes. The depressingly sober (and really want you to know it and join them) kind.

• Considered Harmful

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

Not as a return value.

I'm confused. Is PieconomyServerAccount a subclass of Account?

What makes you say that'd make sense for a variable but not as a return value?

If I'm returning an Optional<Account>, I'd expect the generics to be inferred so that the Optional.of call is done using <Account> instead of <PieconomyServerAccount>, if it's taking place in the return statement. But apparently it doesn't have such an easy time inferring it when you use the ?: operator.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Yes. The depressingly sober (and really want you to know it and join them) kind.

I think you might be mixing that up with Finnish.

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

Finnish? Sober?

Have you ever met Finns? The ones I know adhere to a binary process - either they don't drink at all. Or they drink all the things!

Seriously, they seem to live by the Viking's Code of Drunkenness: You only count as being drunk if you cannot lie on the floor without holding fast to it.

The ones I know adhere to a binary process - either they don't drink at all. Or they drink all the things!

Well, the ones that don't drink at all would be all three of depressing/-ed, sober, and depressingly sober, right?

You only count as being drunk if you cannot lie on the floor without holding fast to it.

But if you have friends that can help you by holding you to the floor, you're probably good to drink a bit more.

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Knowing my relatives over there, no, I'm not mixing them up at all. The Finns are a bit more extreme about it (and keener on depression), but the Swedes are definitely well that way too.

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

INI is a good format for user-facing config files,

If you're too fucking lazy to write a GUI.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

INI is a good format for user-facing config files,

If you're too fucking lazy to write a GUI.

In my case, writing a GUI would literally be useless and perhaps harmful to the purposes of the app.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

@lorne-kates said in WTF Bites:

Also, when you click SUBMIT to make the payment, if I look at Fiddler, I can see the credit card number in the POST.

That should be possible if and only if Fiddler is set to spoof HTTPS. Aka, warning click-throughs up the wazzoo.

If he saw the CC# without HTTPS spoofing, then yes that is a valid concern.

Fiddler being used to spoof HTTPS (basically a MITM attack). I assume they clicked through all the warnings as part of their testing.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

WTF of my day: So, the new season of Westworld has begun. Due to the licensing shenanigans involved with countries other than US, I don't have direct access to HBO.

But never fear, we have a PayTV provider who got the rights to stream that series in Germany. No, it's not Netflix. Ain't Amazon either.

It's Sky!

And, by God, does their service suck donkey dicks. But at least I got a rebate and 5€ per month is not that bad as I can cancel from one month to the next.

So, here's how that went:

1. Click on the link included in the email.
    2. Get redirected to the SignIn-Page.
    3. Do the needful and be logged in.
    4. Realize that the rebate went poof and they want full price.
    5. Close the page, click on the link from the email again and presto! Got the rebate.
    6. Get a message: "Well, congratulations! Your access will be upgraded soon(tm)!"
    7. Wait two hours then go to sleep after realizing that obviously someone has to manually do a thing(tm).
    8. Open Edge, realize that the site looks funny and switch to Chrome because obviously some webdesigners think that there shall be only one.
    9. Click on the Westworld series. Click on the play button for episode 2.1
    10. Get an error message that "RA_SKY is undefined"
    11. The "Check Browser Configuration" link under the error message leads to a 404.
    12. The "How does this work?" link leads to stuff which is not helpful.
    13. Install the Sky app through the MS Store.
    14. Uninstall the Sky app because it doesn't want to work. Why? Because I have two monitors. And that is of the devil. I have to physically unplug one of them. Not a joke.
    15. Start Edge. Browse the Sky site despite it looking funny. Click on the play button.
    16. It works!
    17. Well, somewhat. Because the "Buffering Spinner" doesn't go away and that thing is massive.
    18. Reload the page.
    19. Watch the episode.

That's a really weird way of spelling Pirate Bay.

(Seriously, tho, you're paying for it, just grab the episode so you can actually watch it)

• Installing the new GIMP 2.10:

0_1525109164922_58e1e099-ea02-45c6-96b9-9670131db1dd-image.png

Not sure which is the bigger WTF, the fact that "Translations" are 277.1 MB, or that it's not a group that you can expand to pick and choose.

edit: also, is "MS-Windows engine for GTK+" an optional component?

• area_can

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

also, is "MS-Windows engine for GTK+" an optional component?

you can use the command line interface!

• @bb36e What do you mean? GTK+ is what GIMP is designed in, right? That would make the engine somewhat necessary, I'd think...

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@bb36e What do you mean? GTK+ is what GIMP is designed in, right? That would make the engine somewhat necessary, I'd think...

Well, they'll probably have a headless installation in order to enable you to manipulate images via a webserver or something.

• Fake News

@lolwhat said in WTF Bites:

:wtf:: Sprint and T-Mobile are discussing a merger. This is the third time they've talked about it. I have no idea why they think it would make more sense to do it now vs. the other two times...

And the market agrees with me (at least for now)...

WARNING: Autoplay video.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-30/sprint-t-mobile-deal-faces-tough-path-through-trump-s-washington

• @lolwhat Well, this is probably the best administration to try that merger.

• Fake News

@lolwhat Well, this is probably the best administration to try that merger.

No disagreement there. Then again, antitrust law has been routinely violated without negative consequence to the violators in several industries since well before Trump, so why stop now?

• WTF of my week: So, I activated two-factor authentification for my Sony Playstation account.
    One week ago.

Since then I've been getting random SMS (sometimes at midnight, sometimes three within one hour in the morning) which tell me that, "yes, indeed sir, you've activated two-factor authorization and don't forget to generate a device specific password using that link!"

Guess what I did first thing right after activating that feature?

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

In my case, writing a GUI would literally be useless and perhaps harmful to the purposes of the app.

But, but, but - how can people who can only type using a mouse use it??!?eleventy-one.

Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything... :rolleyes:

Drank beer and played German Truck Simulator?

Probably not, because it's not available on PlayStation

• BINNED

@ben_lubar I don't speak twatter-ese, I have no clue what this means. #hashtag #gibberish

• Notification Spam Recipient

@pjh said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

But, but, but - how can people who can only type using a mouse use it??!?eleventy-one.

Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything... :rolleyes:

I don't think I've met a bona fide sysadmin without keyboard access that would be unable to configure the config file with only a mouse.

Filed under: typed with my non-dominant hand

Guess you should have waited until you got the text!

• @topspin Ben made a cute little joke about how some robot spam had written "jew 's".

The same robot then replied to Ben's tweet with another atrocious spam message.

That said I've read both messages from "JaRI" and I have no fucking clue what they're supposed to communicate. It's gibberish, even by spam standards. But I'm guessing: racism.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat That was a spam bot? I'm used to bots trying to sell random crap, but racist crap about Poland vs Jews is new to me. Color me... confused.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

@blakeyrat That was a spam bot? I'm used to bots trying to sell random crap, but racist crap about Poland vs Jews is new to me. Color me... confused.

Well, Russia spent millions on Facebook and Twitter spam bots that influenced the US election, so I'm surprised you haven't heard of that. Yeah it's a thing.

The bigger problem is this bot is entirely incoherent. It's like it's trying to be smart by replying to the tweet it's hooked up to, but it all comes out garbage.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

That's why this is in WTF Bites and not another thread.

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

The bigger problem is this bot is entirely incoherent.

It's trying to look human by replicating some drunk humans in this very forum 🍹