XCode is the best!

• Banned

@ben_lubar said:

Visual Studio supports SGML, Visual Whatever, ECMAScript, and PHP, as well as a bunch of other languages.

You forgot all the major languages that actually have first-class support... And I know you did it on purpose.

@ben_lubar said:

Last time I made something for Android, it used a modified version of Eclipse, so I'll put it down for "all the languages ever".

My people have an old saying that goes like "if it's for everything, it's good for nothing". Eclipse is a great example here.

@ben_lubar said:

AKA the composite score but repeated again to inflate the numbers.

It shows that you have no idea what an IDE is. Granted, there aren't any IDEs for Go, Cool or Dwarf Fortress...

• @ben_lubar said:

@Gaska said:
    quality of the editor

AKA the composite score but repeated again to inflate the numbers.

No, there's an actual measurement involved.

Visual Studio: WPF MEF toxic hellstew that actually does a really good job, amazing with plugins.
    Eclipse: Swing Java toxic hellstew that actually does a pretty good job. Also plugins.
    XCode: SourceKit. Toxic hellstew. You get Jobbed.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@sloosecannon said:

Technically it does Swift now too. But close :)

It certainly used to be the case that you could count the languages up and discover that XCode came out 1… ;)

@Gaska said:

first-class support

First class? You mean like the C++ 101 class? 😃

• @Gaska said:

Granted, there aren't any IDEs for Go

• BINNED

Goclipse?

Does it signify the endtimes are a go, or something?

• I use this one:

• That's not even your code on the screenshot!
    Cheater.

• That's not even my screenshot on the screenshot. What, you think I'd touch a mac?

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

From the article:

And you think that means the press release is publicly available?

That's so cute.

• Banned

@dkf said:

First class? You mean like the C++ 101 class? 😃

No, I mean first-class as in you fucking know what I mean you asshole.

• @ben_lubar said:

What, you think I'd touch a mac?

You own a Chromebook.

• Correct, I am typing this post on my dhromebook. Your point?

• 🚽 Regular

I believe the point is: you don't have standards.

• I didn't pay $3000 to browse the internet.

I paid $250 to browse the internet.

• Wait, you PAID for the Chromebook? For some reason I thought you had it as a contest prize or something.

• On a loosely related topic, VSCode now supports language extensions as of today's update.

So... does this mean that even Microsoft's Visual Studio Lite editor supports more languages than XCode does?

• Banned

What do I get if I own a computer I didn't pay for?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Gaska said:

What do I get if I own a computer I didn't pay for?

Arrest warrant?

• If it's a Chromebook, you get to retain some dignity.

• Garbage Person

Ah good. Maybe I'll try Android development again. Past attempts have gone like this:

Set up SDK.
    Get frustrated with Eclipse.
    Fuck off and go back to doing real work.

Then again, I could just do it in Visual Studio now.

I've always found it fascinating how people get attached to particular IDEs to the point where switching to another one causes immense pain and grumbling. I'm sure I wouldn't like VS, even if it is objectively a good platform, simply because I don't know it at all and I'm used to Eclipse. I know where everything I want is in Eclipse. (Except the “get more memory” button.)

Indeed, I was trying IntelliJ IDEA last week, and it gave me the most terrible impression. Yes, it did a few things well (its search was actually pretty impressive) but other stuff like dealing with the fact that git really isn't svn and doesn't require that all commits go to the place you got the code from… well, let's just say that it was good I could just use the command line to sort it out. 😄 And the way it put a notification box on top of the button I could use to sort out what it was complaining about was rather classy. NOT!

My point? IDEs are complex systems that you invest a lot into learning. Once you're used to one, switching to another is quite difficult because everything is just subtly moved around. It's almost the same — you're still editing code, after all — but it feels wrong.

• Idk, I learned on Eclipse and NetBeans in college. My world was totally changed for the better when I was finally introduced to Visual Studio 2005. It was like gaining 75 IQ points and going from color-blind to full vision all at once!

@mott555 said:

I learned on Eclipse and NetBeans in college.

So you used them a bit but not particularly intensively. 😄 Splitting your time between them won't give you the strong learning effect.

Digression: My favourite IDE in college was the one integrated in the Borland Turbo products, especially for Pascal. This was back when WinNT was very newfangled and most serious people who targeted the PC at all wrote their code for plain MSDOS instead of wrestling with Windows. Win3.1 was brand new at that point, and about all that could be said for it was that it didn't suck as much as 3.0. Oh, and it had Minesweeper. 😃

@mott555 said:

My world was totally changed for the better when I was finally introduced to Visual Studio 2005.

And that was using it professionally and intensively?

My point wasn't to rag on any particular IDE (other than IDEA, which disappointed me a lot for a commercial product) but rather to note that people who use just one IDE get very attached to the way it works and find switching to another very difficult. This is because what they're seeing is all the ways that the IDE differs from what they're used to, and think that this is an indication that the IDE must suck instead of what's actually going on: there's just several ways that a feature set can be put together sensibly.

Though I suspect anyone using Xcode is beyond help.

• :belt_onion:

@dkf said:

other than IDEA, which disappointed me a lot for a commercial product

Meanwhile, I'm on the other end of that spectrum... I can't stand Eclipse but I love VS and IntelliJ (the little code completion shortcuts and stuff are amazing, even if they're slightly poor on discoverability)

@dkf said:

Though I suspect anyone using Xcode is beyond help.

We can all agree on this though

• @dkf said:

Oh, and it had Minesweeper.

I wasted a few hours on that in 3.1. Oh wait, I still do!

I stopped playing Minesweeper after one upgrade (was to XP or Win7; I forget which) broke the awesomeness. I don't know exactly what was changed, but it made something that you could play at very high speed into something that could only be done at a stately pace. Maybe it was something in how the mouse was handled? I don't know really, but it felt like I was playing in a vat of molasses. Almost as bad as the Linux clones of it that I've tried.

I say this as someone who played a lot. There definitely was a stage when I stopped playing standard sizes on the grounds that they were too easy and even speed running them was getting dull. Some of the custom configurations were far trickier and were more fun (though perhaps in a Dwarf Fortress sense; beating the computer in the configuration we were using at the time — max size with 200 mines — was something to tell others about because it was really rare).

• @dkf said:

(though perhaps in a Dwarf Fortress sense; beating the computer in the configuration we were using at the time — max size with 200 mines — was something to tell others about because it was really rare).

Good way to get rid of friends you no longer want.

• @dkf said:

it made something that you could play at very high speed into something that could only be done at a stately pace

shift+click! As far as I know that still works - but I only play on a touch screen now, so I can't be bothered to check...

I stopped playing Minesweeper in Windows 8/8.1 when it wanted it downloading from the Microsoft Store, which doesn't work because I don't sign into the computer using a Microsoft Account.

• @abarker said:

And you think that means the press release is publicly available?

Many companies make their press releases available on their websites. Since I couldn't get their site to load at all, I couldn't check. It's not like it wrecked my entire morning or anything, just something I thought I'd look at on the off-chance.

• @dkf said:

I stopped playing Minesweeper after one upgrade (was to XP or Win7; I forget which) broke the awesomeness. I don't know exactly what was changed, but it made something that you could play at very high speed into something that could only be done at a stately pace.

I've found it seems to be much more awkward on 7 than on XP, so perhaps that was where it broke for you as well. It might just be my advancing age, but it seems to be much more prone to clicking on an unintended cell (maybe something in the mouse handling, as you suggest), and indeed I have to play it rather slower than I used to. Not that I was in your league; the standard expert setting is usually fine by me :)

• Middle click? Right+Left mouse at the same time?

• The bit that confused me is when you have an Xbox 360 controller plugged in, the Win7 (and possibly later... but I only have Win7 to test) version will trigger the controller vibrate function briefly when you hit a bomb.

• :belt_onion:

TIL. I wish I had an Xbox 360 controller to plug in to see that...

@Scarlet_Manuka said:

Not that I was in your league

I'm not in that league any more either.

• BINNED

@Arantor said:

The bit that confused me is when you have an Xbox 360 controller plugged in, the Win7 (and possibly later... but I only have Win7 to test) version will trigger the controller vibrate function briefly when you hit a bomb.

It's for added realism!

I wonder if it was even slightly inspired by MGS where Psycho Mantis proves to you he has psychic powers by telling you to put your controller on the floor and then the game makes it move by deliberately shaking it in a way that makes the controller "walk" along the floor.

Man, that game broke the fourth wall a lot.

• kills Dumbledore

I liked how he detected saves from other Konami games on the memory card and talked about them. Also the whole "the code is on the box" thing, nice throwback to old "what is the 5th word on page 12 of the manual" DRM schemes

• BINNED

@Jaloopa said:

Also the whole "the code is on the box" thing, nice throwback to old "what is the 5th word on page 12 of the manual" DRM schemes

Which is all fine and dandy, but at the time I thought I was missing an item.

I ran around that damned hangar for HOURS looking for a CD case... 😒

• kills Dumbledore

It was spoilered for me by a review. I hated that review, although I probably would have hated the hunt more

• There are a lot of games that don't understand the "don't toss vibrate commands to the controller unless the user's actually using the controller to control the game" concept.

I admit I'm mildly surprised to find out Minesweeper is one of them.

• @Onyx said:

I wonder if it was even slightly inspired by MGS where Psycho Mantis proves to you he has psychic powers by telling you to put your controller on the floor and then the game makes it move by deliberately shaking it in a way that makes the controller "walk" along the floor.

Wow, hope you weren't enjoying any of that "immersion". It's bad enough when you see a quick time event and the fucking game shows a huge PICTURE of the controller right there in the game world, but actually TELLING YOU TO PUT THE CONTROLLER ON THE FLOOR!?

I would have thrown that game in the trash. Fortunately I never had to because I don't play crappy Japanese shit games.

• Garbage Person

@Jaloopa said:

nice throwback to old "what is the 5th word on page 12 of the manual" DRM

So when I first got into computers my parents bought a big combo pack of a bunch of games with the computer. No manuals. Some of these games used that sort of copy protection.

The combo pack came with a little booklet that had lookup tables for what questions the different games could ask, and the answers.

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

TELLING YOU TO PUT THE CONTROLLER ON THE FLOOR!?

The way to beat that particular boss was to plug your controller into the second port so he couldn't read your mind and have super fast reactions

• Wow I hate this game I've never even played.

• That game series also has other "fun" things like a fake game over screen ("Fission Mailed: Emit or Continent?") and a fake signal loss screen ("HIDEO" on black, in precisely the location Sony TVs of the time put the current input on signal loss).

The guy who did this has been fired, though it took something like 9 more games for the company to get around to it. And people say that's a bad thing.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

Wow I hate this game I've never even played.

At least you have an adequately informed opinion on the subject.