No good reason

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

worked at a mall store so he's got Black Friday PTSD.

aaah... My condolances to him. give him a hug for me the day after turkey day? i think he'll need it then.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

:) He's getting better every year, although this year he's doing his dissertation so he's pretty nervous anyway. I always use a floating holiday for BF and stay home to distract him from the sales

• FoxDev

that's the important part. always get better, don't let the trauma define you.

• @boomzilla said:

You're a moron.

Undoubtedly true!

@boomzilla said:

The stores aren't even comparable. You're thinking of Sam's Club.

Sam's Club is a Wal-Mart dressed-up to fool people into thinking it's a Costco.

And yes, the stores are comparable. I don't know why you'd say otherwise-- a big box store where you can buy every product you need for your home and that focuses almost exclusively on cutting prices to the bare-bones.

The difference is Costco does it so much better. SO much better.

@boomzilla said:

but then I've heard awful stuff like how they randomize where they put everything to make you walk the entire store every time you go in order to find what you need.

Yeah, well, I heard reptilian aliens planned the moon landings. And have tunnels that cross all of North America. And that Obama is one wearing a mask. That shit ain't true, either. My local Costco has the same layout its had since it opened, the same layout its always had.

@boomzilla said:

Fuck that shit. You are terrible people for inventing that.

You're calling someone terrible based on some rumor you heard that isn't true?

I'm going to call you terrible based on you believing everything that graces your ears. And since you're such a gullible idiot, I'm also reminding you that you owe me $5 grand, buddy. Pay up.

@boomzilla said:

Costco was better when they were still The PriceClub.

What the fuck are you talking about? Costco has always been Costco. It was founded in Kirkland. The first location was named "Costco".

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

And yes, the stores are comparable. I don't know why you'd say otherwise-- a big box store where you can buy every product you need for your home and that focuses almost exclusively on cutting prices to the bare-bones.

Wal-Mart isn't a big box store like Costco or Sam's or BJ's all are. It also doesn't require membership.

@blakeyrat said:

My local Costco has the same layout its had since it opened, the same layout its always had.

OK, so I guess that's probably a regional thing. I know it drives my father in law absolutely crazy.

@blakeyrat said:

You're calling someone terrible based on some rumor you heard that isn't true?

No.

@blakeyrat said:

I'm going to call you terrible based on you believing everything that graces your ears.

Sure, say stupid stuff. Nothing has ever stopped you before.

@blakeyrat said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Costco has always been Costco. It was founded in Kirkland. The first location was named "Costco".

Talking about HISTORY. Ah, they merged in 1993. And apparently the guy who started Costco came from PriceClub (which started a few years earlier). I just remember all of the Price Clubs turning into Costcos eventually.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

So fuck you.

What's it like being such a toxic, hateful person? Costco isn't the same thing as Walmart, you big crybaby.

@blakeyrat said:

And yes, the stores are comparable.

No, you compared wal-mart to costco, when the proper comparison is sam's club. First you complain other people don't read what you wrote, then you stop reading what other people wrote, and now you can't even read what YOU wrote. You should seek competent professional help, you troll.

Or is all your bile finally catching up to you?

• @Yamikuronue said:

The girl scouts camp out in front of every grocery store in the area, but I've never seen the boy scouts selling anywhere.

All I know is that the last batch of girl scout cookies I tried contained a disappointing lack of girl scouts.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

No, you compared wal-mart to costco

Well, look, they are comparable, and the comparison looks like this, "These are different kinds of stores."

• @boomzilla said:

Wal-Mart isn't a big box store like Costco or Sam's or BJ's all are. It also doesn't require membership.

... seriously? The reason they're different is you don't have to pay a (frequently waived) $50/year membership?

I gotta find a forum full of non-crazy people.

@boomzilla said:

Talking about HISTORY.

Yeah wrong history from Bullshitville.

@boomzilla said:

Ah, they merged in 1993. And apparently the guy who started Costco came from PriceClub (which started a few years earlier). I just remember all of the Price Clubs turning into Costcos eventually.

Oh hey look. Blakeyrat is right. Shocking.

• I've never been to a Costco, but there's a huge difference between Sam's Club and Wal-Mart. For example if you go to Sam's to buy toilet paper you better have a double-axle trailer to take home their smallest package.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

... seriously? The reason they're different is you don't have to pay a (frequently waived) $50/year membership?

LOL. Now you're just making fun of yourself.

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah wrong history from Bullshitville.

WTF‽

@blakeyrat said:

Oh hey look. Blakeyrat is right. Shocking.

Except that you obviously weren't. Are you still living in a parallel world? Just in denial?

• @boomzilla said:

Except that you obviously weren't.

You just confirmed I was. Costco was always Costco.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

You just confirmed I was. Costco was always Costco.

No, today's Costco was not always Costco. For a while, it was called, Price / Costco (after the two companies merged).

If you don't trust the SEC, how about Costco's about page

#THE HISTORY OF COSTCO

The company's first location, opened in 1976 under the Price Club name, was in a converted airplane hangar on Morena Boulevard in San Diego. Originally serving only small businesses, the company found it could achieve far greater buying clout by also serving a selected audience of non-business members. With that change, the growth of the warehouse club industry was off and running. In 1983, the first Costco warehouse location was opened in Seattle. Costco became the first company ever to grow from zero to $3 billion in sales in less than six years. When Costco and Price Club merged in 1993, the combined company, operating under the name PriceCostco, had 206 locations generating $16 billion in annual sales.

Oops.

• @boomzilla said:

In 1983, the first Costco warehouse location was opened in Seattle.

Wow. Kirkland is Seattle? That's... that's not even remotely close.

Whoever wrote that copy is an idiot. I would have accepted "near Seattle" possibly.

But the part you're missing is that Costco has always been Costco.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

But the part you're missing is that Costco has always been Costco.

Uh, no, you're missing the part where THE HISTORY OF COSTCO starts before anything called "Costco" existed. And how they used a different name for a while. I'm not sure how you could reconcile all of that with your delusion.

I recommend sitting in a cool, dark place for a bit until the cognitive dissonance dies down. A stiff shot of whiskey might help, too.

• @boomzilla said:

Uh, no, you're missing the part where THE HISTORY OF COSTCO starts before anything called "Costco" existed.

Yes but it also says Kirkland is in Seattle, so that's an unreliable source.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

OK, cool, at least now we know you're just arguing to avoid admitting you were wrong, and we don't have to worry about a mental breakdown<more than usual>.

• @blakeyrat said:

I'm not sure how you west-coasters do it but here in the Midwest lots of cities get called by a more prominent neighboring city's name instead if they're practically in the same place.

• @FrostCat said:

I've noticed sometimes they do charge more

Well, more material means more production cost. Nothing like my ISP's policy on static IP addresses, though.

• FoxDev

@ben_lubar said:

Nothing like my ISP's policy on static IP addresses, though.

well we are rapidly running out of IPv4 addresses and IPv6 has like.... well 0 practical adoption.

which is a shame because we really need that extra address space....

• Did I mention my ISP doesn't support IPv6? I'd be surprised if they support IPv6 in the next ten years.

• FoxDev

i'm surprised they support IPv4 to be brutally honest.

• @blakeyrat said:

You might have a point if they had said (zooms out a bit) Portland or Spokane, but that's basically the same thing, with the difference that people outside Seattle have heard of Seattle.

Edit: Portland is actually in Oregon, stupid me.

I think that might be a local/outsider issue? To me that's close enough, but someone from Seattle might disagree. It's like, if you're from Boston and you're telling someone where you live, you'll say "I'm from Braintree" or wherever, but people who aren't from eastern Mass don't know Braintree from Brookline, so you just say you're from Boston.

• @boomzilla said:

The company's first location, opened in 1976 under the Price Club name, was in a converted airplane hangar on Morena Boulevard in San Diego. Originally serving only small businesses, the company found it could achieve far greater buying clout by also serving a selected audience of non-business members. With that change, the growth of the warehouse club industry was off and running. In 1983, the first Costco warehouse location was opened in Seattle. Costco became the first company ever to grow from zero to $3 billion in sales in less than six years. When Costco and Price Club merged in 1993, the combined company, operating under the name PriceCostco, had 206 locations generating $16 billion in annual sales.

Hey, that's my Price Club Costco!

And yes, it's in a really weird looking warehouse. It's also Mitt Romney's Costco.

• @FrostCat said:

I think that might be a local/outsider issue? To me that's close enough, but someone from Seattle might disagree. It's like, if you're from Boston and you're telling someone where you live, you'll say "I'm from Braintree" or wherever, but people who aren't from eastern Mass don't know Braintree from Brookline, so you just say you're from Boston.

Not from Woobern, Wistah, or Lemonstah?

I lived in Salem, the city that puts, instead of something like "To Serve And Protect", "The Witch City" on the police cars, for 7 years.

• @mott555 said:

blakeyrat:

I'm not sure how you west-coasters do it but here in the Midwest lots of cities get called by a more prominent neighboring city's name instead if they're practically in the same place.

New York City cabdriver, circa 1988: "Arizona? That's in Texas, right?"

• @blakeyrat said:

Costco, which is a billion times better than Wal-Mart

In my experience, the main thing Costco is better at is separating me from my money for stuff I don't need. Oh, that's a good price on $randomItem. I don't really need it right now, but I should get it because by tomorrow they will have replaced all $randomItems with $otherRandomItems. OTOH, I never shopped at Wal-Mart when I had enough money to spend it on $randomItemIDontNeed.

@boomzilla said:

For a while, it was called, Price / Costco (after the two companies merged).

I had never been in a Costco until my local Price Club suddenly turned into one.

@boomzilla said:

they randomize where they put everything to make you walk the entire store every time you go in order to find what you need.

I've never experienced that, but I haven't shopped at Costco in years. What I have experienced, and Price Club did this back in the day, is that they have some merchandise that they always stock, but half their merchandise is $randomBargainStuff, and when they sell it, it will be replaced by $someOtherRandomBargain. You never know what you'll find when you go in.

@blakeyrat said:

Fred Meyer, which is another local big-box that puts Wal-Mart to shame
    I would not call Fred Meyer a big-box. I'd say it's more like a department store + grocery store — picture a Sears and a Safeway rolled into one. Their prices are more like Sears/Safeway than Wal-Mart or Costco, too.

• Both Costco and Sam's Club are good for certain things. I shop mostly at Costco, but Sam's Club has better cheese balls (I'm VERY particular about those).

• BINNED

@accalia said:

well we are rapidly running out of IPv4 addresses and IPv6 has like.... well 0 practical adoption.

And now I'm behind a NAT at home since they are desperately trying to keep it all running on IPv4 still. I really need to send in a request for a public dynamic IP if I ever want to be able to remote into my home computer again.

As if the dynamic IP wasn't enough of a PITA in itself. Ugh.

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

I've never experienced that, but I haven't shopped at Costco in years. What I have experienced, and Price Club did this back in the day, is that they have some merchandise that they always stock, but half their merchandise is $randomBargainStuff, and when they sell it, it will be replaced by $someOtherRandomBargain. You never know what you'll find when you go in.

Yeah, I guess this is a regional thing, at least particular to central NJ. TRWTF is that you can't even ask the employees where something is, because they typically only know where it used to be.

$dynamicRemoteAccessService (LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc.) doesn't work for you? In my experience, those services go through multiple layers of NAT like Discodevs through introducing new bugs.

• BINNED

@izzion said:

$dynamicRemoteAccessService (LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc.) doesn't work for you? In my experience, those services go through multiple layers of NAT like Discodevs through new bugs.

They do, yes. But that means I have to have an always-on computer running a desktop and $dynamicRemoteAccessService client, and then deal with my crappy upload speed to transfer an image of what is mostly an SSH session...

• @hungrier said:

Portland or Spokane,... people outside Seattle have heard of Seattle.

I was going to use Pullman as my example...

Anybody else notice that the house brand at BJ's warehouse store is named "Berkeley and Jensens's"?

Even though I know I'm being played - it does feel a little better than "MegaValue" brand or whatever...

Also, big props to the "Kirkland" brand...

• @chubertdev said:

Both Costco and Sam's Club are good for certain things. I shop mostly at Costco, but Sam's Club has better cheese balls (I'm VERY particular about those).

EDIT: the image upload seems to be failing for some reason, so have a link instead: Pip Pumphandle

• No... the correct option is Sell 1/2 for 11... and 1/4 for 6... and a single bag for $8.

I mean, we all know the stuff is overpriced to begin with... People buy bottled water for $5 at the theater and this is for a good cause (Not that watching Edward sparkle or Catness burst into flames isn't).

• Do you want to upgrade to Power Up Rewards Pro?

I haven't actually bought anything at a Gamestop in awhile though.

• @WernerCD said:

Catness

• kills Dumbledore

@da_Doctah said:

Arizona? That's in Texas, right?

They're both basically Mexico aren't they?

My popcorn arrived! I am loving the caramel and the sea salt flavors :D

And yet you didn't put this on the celebration thread?

Protip: GIS "popcorn cupcakes" yields...eww.

• Yea!

So the ordering system works!

I happened to ask our "Popcorn Colonel" about online sales, and she confirms: system is WTF... we get absolutely zero from online sales from over 50 kids.

What am I celebrating? Our leading sales scout turned in his money!! NOW we have a profit.

BONUS WTF: the kids are Cub Scouts (you know, woods, camping, etc..) so some of the sales prizes are, surprise...Pocket Knives. We meet in a school, after hours. Yes, we have been called out on handing out boxed pocket knives on school grounds.
    (Mostly from the POV of "you know, you probably should avoid that, just so nobody important can call you on it. Just saves the hassle." But still.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@ijij said:

I happened to ask our "Popcorn Colonel" about online sales, and she confirms: system is WTF... we get absolutely zero from online sales from over 50 kids.

You have to manually put that into the other system for them to get their prizes.

• ??

We apparently have $0 sold online... unless you can sign up as "Joey Scout" from "Pack <null>", nobody in our pack is selling online.

So...no prizes that way.

bonus I AM TRWTF: I see what you saw now...
    "we GET zero from 50 kids selling online"
    is the opposite of what I meant, which was..
    "system is SO WTF that it is probably why, with 50 kids in the pack, we have $0 sold online."

• ♿ (Parody)

@ijij said:

"system is SO WTF that it is probably why, with 50 kids in the pack, we have $0 sold online."

That is definitely true. We couldn't find our pack in the system at first, and it took a couple of days of getting our district guys and the trails end guys to get us set up.