Protecting the truly important stuff

• @eViLegion said:

230VAC

Sure, that's all they'll admit to in Brussels. But what you need to understand is that the English electricity supply is run by English people.

• @PJH said:

@eViLegion said:
    @flabdablet said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Build an etherkiller (wire up the data lines to your 110 volt power cord) and plug that into the server, it'll disable the networking on the server but won't look as much like purposeful sabotage. Not unless you use it too much. (There's a chance it'll blow the motherboard too. But eh.)

The UK has proper electricity, not your pissweak American excuse for a mains supply. 230VAC will indeed do a loud, hot, bright and unmistakeably scented number on most motherboards.

FTFY.

No, you really didn't. It can be anywhere between ~216V and ~253V, with an average of 242V. That 230 figure is only a nominal value across the EU.

Your logic applies just as much to 240V as it does to 230V (e.g. you don't get either of those PDs precisely... in reality you get what you said).
    Since, flab was talking about a standard however, that is also what I was talking about. You could get anywhere between 1V and 1billionV by mistake, and it wouldn't change that the stated standard is 230. Just saying.

• @eViLegion said:

the stated standard is 230. Just saying.

And the British Sausage now has to be called an Emulsified High-Fat Offal Tube. It's political correctness gone mad!

Ask a Brit (or an Australian, for that matter) what the household electricity voltage is. Anybody who knows what "voltage" means will tell you it's 240.

I live in a small town with too few pole transformers too far away from my street, and in the middle of the night when everybody's hot water boosters switch on, my mains voltage quite regularly drops as low as 205V. I found this out when the shitty UPS I bought to replace my blown-up shitty UPS turned out to be even shittier than I'd thought, and incapable of mains voltage regulation (I did think the fucking thing was too light as I was unboxing it). So when the mains browns out it flips my little server straight over to battery power for a couple of hours, then politely shuts it down just before the batteries keel over, then brings it back up as the mains drifts back above 210V, then removes all power without warning as it tries to switch back to the not-yet-even-slightly-charged batteries. The annoying thing is that without the UPS in place, the server runs just fine on 205V.

Yes, there's a proper one on back order.

I know you don't give a shit. But it just happened again and I needed to vent.

• @Ronald said:

Put your speakers on 10 and create a scheduled task on your workstation to play MyHeartWillGoOn.mp3 once you are gone (also acceptable: any part of the Cannibal Corpse or DOA NYC opus - I recommend the very pleasant Total Annihilation)

Other useful sound files for this purpose (I used to have the kind of neighbors you collect this stuff for):

• whale song
    • Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music"
    • vanity-published Christian worship music, preferably performed by children
    • anything Yoko recorded by herself before John died

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:
    You make it sound like that situation makes it more logical to lock toilets. Locking you toilets is fucking idiotic. Stop defending it!

You say this, but have you ever had to step over a bum sitting in the middle of a 6-foot puddle of his own urine so you could use an ATM? And the door to the ATM was locked, but he still always found a way to get in, pass out and urinate himself. Eventually they hired a security guard to stand outside the ATM and keep the bums out. My solution--electrifying the floor--seemed far more practical.

I take it unlocking the bathroom didn't help?

• @flabdablet said:

@eViLegion said:
    230VAC

Sure, that's all they'll admit to in Brussels. But what you need to understand is that the English electricity supply is run by English people.

These people are full-on nutters.

• @dhromed said:

@flabdablet said:

@eViLegion said:
    230VAC

Quite so (because more things make us ask WTF than just code)

• @flabdablet said:

@dhromed said:

@flabdablet said:

@eViLegion said:
    230VAC

Quite so (because more things make us ask WTF than just code)

He's doing nothing. At least this guy is doing pull ups.

• @Ronald said:

He's doing nothing.

Ronald is teh topper

• @flabdablet said:

@Ronald said:
    He's doing nothing.

Ronald is teh topper

That's nothing. This one is funnier.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@flabdablet said:

English people.
    I'm not too sure about those mockney accents...

• So, an update.

Someone in management got wind of that the employees were planning a mass walkout over the toilet alarms, and called an "all staff meeting" as soon as everyone was clocked in and good and started on their work. 

The CEO and 4 of the board members were sitting at a table at the head of the cafeteria.  They gave about a 20 minute "We're so happy you work for us" speech, and then the CEO gave about 15 minutes on the evils of unions, concluding with "The costs for an employer of maintaining a relationship with a union are so high that we'd be forced to let 40% of staff go if a union were formed." 

Someone stood up and said "So how come you treat us like slaves anyhow?  Even the plantation slaves in the US didn't have to pay to shit!"

The CEO stared him down, with a little smirk on his face.  "Plantation slaves also didn't cost me £2700 a month in toilets upkeep."

"Like bloody hell they cost you £2700 a month!  You could hire a minimum wage pensioner for half that!"

Silence from the CEO, and then in a visible rage almost a full 30 seconds later...  "How...  dare...  you...  tell... me...  how TO DO MY FUCKING JOB!  THIS IS MY COMPANY, AND I MAKE THE RULES!  YOU SIR SHOULD CONSIDER YOURSELF BLESSED TO BE ABLE TO WORK HERE!  YOU SHOULD ALL FEEL BLESSED THAT I GIVE YOU JOBS IN THIS ECONOMY!"  The board members were talking amongst themselves at this point, and one of them was shaking his head.

Another employee stood up.  "If that's how you feel, sir, then I'm afraid you have it backward.  I've worked for your company for 10 years, and you should feel blessed that I give you my loyalty in this economy, but that ends today."  She turned and walked out of the cafeteria.  Several others went with her.

A board member grabbed the CEO and towed him out of the cafeteria, with two of the others making some very frantic seeming messages on their BlackBerries.

Right around lunchtime, an email went around that they were having another meeting at 4:30 PM with the full board of directors, but without the CEO, "to discuss workplace morale issues".

I'd honestly considered not coming back from my interview at the new company, but I'm going to give this one proper notice first, just so I can say I took the moral high ground.  (Yes, I do have an offer from it!)

• @drurowin said:

£2700 a month in toilets upkeep

So that translates to ~$4000 a month.  For a year is ~$48k.  How big of a place is this?  I remember you saying things about different floors, but I don't know how many there are or how big a floor is.  Trying to get an idea just how unreasonable (or reasonable) this is.  Oh, alternatively could you give us an idea of how many employees work at the site (trying to figure what fraction of an employee this is compared to how many employees).

@drurowin said:

£
    @drurowin said:
    4:30 PM
    That was one hour ago. I'm presuming whatever was said, it can't have taken that long; what happened?

• Considered Harmful

You should have recorded it with your smartphone. It could have gone viral.

• @joe.edwards said:

No cameras of any kind past security, otherwise you'd have pics of the toilet doors already. :(

• @PJH said:

@drurowin said:
    £
    @drurowin said:
    4:30 PM
    That was one hour ago. I'm presuming whatever was said, it can't have taken that long; what happened?
    Basically "Please don't all quit at once.  Please.  He's a raving fucking lunatic and we've got him strapped to a chair and pumped full of thorazine.  And for the love of Jesus please don't tell the shareholders/media about this."  Based on the number of badges that were sitting on security's desk when I left, it's probably around 10% of the staff did quit after that outburst.

• @drurowin said:

@joe.edwards said:

No cameras of any kind past security, otherwise you'd have pics of the toilet doors already. :(

Eh? So, since pretty much everyone has a smartphone these days (even more so in the world of tech), what happens? Do they confiscate your phone on entry? Is this defense-related work?

• @locallunatic said:

@drurowin said:

So that translates to ~$4000 a month.  For a year is ~$48k.  How big of a place is this?  I remember you saying things about different floors, but I don't know how many there are or how big a floor is.  Trying to get an idea just how unreasonable (or reasonable) this is.  Oh, alternatively could you give us an idea of how many employees work at the site (trying to figure what fraction of an employee this is compared to how many employees).

The building is 9 floors, but it's not "wide" or "deep".  Each floor originally had a single pair of men's and ladies' rooms with 4 stools each, and an added urinal in the men's.  They've since cut it down to 1 toilet in each room.

If I had to guesstimate how many people were at the "all hands" meeting this morning, I'd say probably 250-300.

• @eViLegion said:

@drurowin said:

@joe.edwards said:

Eh? So, since pretty much everyone has a smartphone these days (even more so in the world of tech), what happens? Do they confiscate your phone on entry? Is this defense-related work?

My position isn't, but the company does do some stuff for the MoD.  I'm in embedded and process control.  Currently, I debug code that runs industrial thermostats. 

But yes, they require you to leave your cameraphone in your car or in a locker outside the security area.

• @drurowin said:

they require you to leave your cameraphone in your car or in a locker outside the security area.

How do the folks in charge of the cafeteria CCTV camera feel about what went down today?

• @drurowin said:

@locallunatic said:

@drurowin said:

The building is 9 floors, but it's not "wide" or "deep".  Each floor originally had a single pair of men's and ladies' rooms with 4 stools each, and an added urinal in the men's.  They've since cut it down to 1 toilet in each room.

If I had to guesstimate how many people were at the "all hands" meeting this morning, I'd say probably 250-300.

So he is complaining about half the cost of one fresh out of school non-technical employee out of that many?  I mean doing it at all is silly, but this is now deep into far-off-wackjob-land.

@drurowin said:

Basically "Please don't all quit at once.  Please.  He's a raving fucking lunatic and we've got him strapped to a chair and pumped full of thorazine.  And for the love of Jesus please don't tell the shareholders/media about this."  Based on the number of badges that were sitting on security's desk when I left, it's probably around 10% of the staff did quit after that outburst.

The shareholders have every right to know!  If I am investing in a company the fact that the board is allowing this kind of wackjob to be CEO is very important information to have available.  If the security desk isn't in the secured section (I assume not as it's at the front normally) then get a picture of the pile of badges (preferably with the company logo on the wall visable) and send it to some of the reporters in the business section of the local paper.

• @locallunatic said:

@drurowin said:

The shareholders have every right to know!  If I am investing in a company the fact that the board is allowing this kind of wackjob to be CEO is very important information to have available.  If the security desk isn't in the secured section (I assume not as it's at the front normally) then get a picture of the pile of badges (preferably with the company logo on the wall visable) and send it to some of the reporters in the business section of the local paper.

I think someone did, I keep mine in my car and didn't want to be seen doubling back though.  I'm going to talk to some of my friends later and see if anyone got any pics of the pile of badges.

• @flabdablet said:

@drurowin said:
    they require you to leave your cameraphone in your car or in a locker outside the security area.

How do the folks in charge of the cafeteria CCTV camera feel about what went down today?

I don't think it records audio, and it's probably under management's control anyhow.

• @drurowin said:

I don't think it records audio, and it's probably under management's control anyhow.

Sounds like management doesn't have very much under control.... some inanimate objects maybe.

• Did anybody bring up the fact that maintaining the servers and sensors much cost more than just hiring a minimum wage dude to come and do the work? I mean it's a 9-story building, it's not freakin' 1201 Third Avenue.

• @blakeyrat said:

Did anybody bring up the fact that maintaining the servers and sensors much cost more than just hiring a minimum wage dude to come and do the work? I mean it's a 9-story building, it's not freakin' 1201 Third Avenue.
    I've got a feeling they were built in-house, it's something that'd be within our capacity to do.  I know we do design Pay and Park kiosks, for example.

• @drurowin said:

I've got a feeling they were built in-house, it's something that'd be within our capacity to do.  I know we do design Pay and Park kiosks, for example.

In-house != free.

Well at least your HR/personnel/whatever you call it in Euroland employees will have plenty of overtime pay for the next couple weeks.

• @blakeyrat said:

@drurowin said:

In-house != free.

Well at least your HR/personnel/whatever you call it in Euroland employees will have plenty of overtime pay for the next couple weeks.

The head of HR was one that walked out.

• So what happened, did you get that other job? Or did they tell you that you are not mouth-breathing enough to work at Radio Shack EMEA?

• @Ronald said:

So what happened, did you get that other job? Or did they tell you that you are not mouth-breathing enough to work at Radio Shack EMEA?
    I did get offered the other job.  It's about £3K less pa, but I'll get extra holi-days and I won't have to pay to poop.

• @drurowin said:

It's about £3K less pa, but I'll get extra holi-days and I won't have to pay to poop.

Flee! Flee to sanity.

• @drurowin said:

It's about £3K less pa, but I'll get extra holi-days and I won't have to pay to poop.

I have confidence you can make up the 3k by exploiting the new poop situation. Just do all of your business at the office now. Then rent your home toilet out as a micro-apartment.

• @drurowin said:

It's about £3K less pa

Since I'm used to having salries quoted per month rather than per year, and since "X less" can mean "reduced by X" as well as "X minus Y" (more rare), and since "pa" might be some acronym I'm not familiar with; I find this statement ambiguous.

3Kgbp/month seems very nice to me.

3K  fewer bottle caps per year may negatively tip the scales.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I have confidence you can make up the 3k by exploiting the new poop situation.

2 pound a day sounds equal to something like bus fares. Not the biggest expense of my budget, really.

Though, obviously ever day I cycle to work instead busing is another free beer!

@dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

2 pound a day sounds equal to something like bus fares. Not the biggest expense of my budget, really.

Presuming 5 holiday weeks (and 3 days), and 33% income tax and national insurance, £3k/pa works out to about £8.50 net per work-day - not sure where you're getting £2 from - even £3k/365 is ~£8.20

• @PJH said:

£3k/pa

Ohhhh, per annum. Now it all makes sense.

@PJH said:

not sure where you're getting £2 from

I recall that to be the ~daily price of the toilet and I'm too lazy to scroll up.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Pffft... you'd have to cycle for 2 days, to earn a beer round where I live.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@eViLegion said:

Is it the beer or gas that's more expensive?

• @Lorne Kates said:

@eViLegion said:

Is it the beer or gas that's more expensive?

Well, by volume, the beer is more expensive.

Also, judging by its quality, you could probably substitute the fuel (unleaded, of course), and get an entirely superior beverage.

• @flabdablet said:

@drurowin said:

Flee! Flee to sanity.

I handed in my notice when I walked in this morning.  The lady I handed it to in HR just sighed, stamped it with "received" and the date, and put it on about an inch-high stack.  Then I went to my cubicle and pretended to work for the rest of the day.  Tomorrow I'm bringing my DS.

• @drurowin said:

Tomorrow I'm bringing my DS.

You have a down syndrome?

• @drurowin said:

I handed in my notice when I walked in this morning.  The lady I handed it to in HR just sighed, stamped it with "received" and the date, and put it on about an inch-high stack.

Does this mean that you can name and shame?  As it sounds like they will either be folding or suddenly looking to hire just about everyone they can get their hands on naming them either won't matter much or will save anyone else in your part of the world from getting caught on the same hook.

• @Ben L. said:

@drurowin said:
    Tomorrow I'm bringing my DS.

You have a down syndrome?

I said DS, not Trisomy 21.  Although that'd be a funny name for a handheld video game console too.  I'd bring my 3DS to play Animal Crossing, but it has cameras, and security will hit me with a jointed truncheon, so I have to cope with just the old GBA Mario Kart.

• @locallunatic said:

@drurowin said:

I handed in my notice when I walked in this morning.  The lady I handed it to in HR just sighed, stamped it with "received" and the date, and put it on about an inch-high stack.

Does this mean that you can name and shame?  As it sounds like they will either be folding or suddenly looking to hire just about everyone they can get their hands on naming them either won't matter much or will save anyone else in your part of the world from getting caught on the same hook.

Once I'm out of there, I'm going to be writing up my whole door-to-door experience with these guys, unredacted, and post it to another forum I'm a member of, but I'll link it here.

• @drurowin said:

Once I'm out of there, I'm going to be writing up my whole door-to-door experience with these guys, unredacted, and post it to another forum I'm a member of, but I'll link it here.

Oooh... in your report, make sure you use the words "cunt", "cunts", "cuntface" and "cunted" gratuitously. I like those words, and I can't think of a more appropriate situation for them to be delivered liberally.

• @eViLegion said:

@drurowin said:

Oooh... in your report, make sure you use the words "cunt", "cunts", "cuntface" and "cunted" gratuitously. I like those words, and I can't think of a more appropriate situation for them to be delivered liberally.

"cunting" and "munting" too.  No, it's going to be like I was writing a report for an employment tribunal, so it's going to be very boring and factual and only contain a few swear words.

• @drurowin said:

@eViLegion said:

@drurowin said:

"cunting" and "munting" too.  No, it's going to be like I was writing a report for an employment tribunal, so it's going to be very boring and factual and only contain a few swear words.

Boring or not, I can't wait. This has been one of the most entertaining threads I've read on the sidebar for a while. What's your notice period (how long do we have to wait?)

• @Zagyg said:

@drurowin said:

@eViLegion said:

@drurowin said:

Boring or not, I can't wait. This has been one of the most entertaining threads I've read on the sidebar for a while. What's your notice period (how long do we have to wait?)

Another 12 days.  I'm already up to page 10 right now, though.