Protecting the truly important stuff

• @ochrist said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Then again, most of them had armed guards in the lobby who would check your ID before letting you even get on an elevator.

I'm glad that I live in a country where only the police are allowed to have weapons :-)

A while ago I was working in a factory that made expensive electronic hardware and there were two guards with automatic weapons in the shipping area 24x7. You'd think it would make one feel safe, but those were for the most part people who flunked police academy and were earning $4/hour.

• @locallunatic said:

@dhromed said:

@locallunatic said:

In many corprate environments it is.

What the fucking fuck.

To be fair, it's the stuffier ones that feel the need to put restrictions on everything they can.

dhromed's taken aback by this because in the Netherlands they don't need to lock the door to discourage toilet use.
    Instead, they make the toilet with a kind of platform, ostensibly to facilitate inspection of one's (presumably own) stool.
    But for non-coprophiles it makes taking a dump such an unpleasant experience that no lock is needed.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I guess this is probably the result of what passes for the dumbed-down, keep-the-proles-ignorant public education system in Europe nowadays. "If someone disagrees with you and expresses an opinion that has not been approved by the Central Council for Acceptable Ideas, then they are trolling you and you can dismiss them."

I love your cluelessness about Europa. It's almost as cute as thoses frenchs who believe America is entirely made of ignorant redneck with automatic weapon who ride safari in Mexico to get scalps.

Where, in fact, some prefer non automatic weapons.

• Your claim to be wishing for a way to avoid communicating with weirdos doesn't square with reading and posting here.

Jus' sayin'

• @Medezark said:

@morbiuswilters said:

(I have no idea why there were, like, two floors of generic office space in a building with six other floors of high-security defense-related stuff).

If asked, the top-secret employees could claim to work for the non-top-secret company plausibly.  In the case of an attack, the non-defense persons could be used as human shields for the defense persons.

No, no, no. It's so that the good guys can use the non-secured generic office space to break into the high-security defense-related offices to steal the evidence that will either exonerate them or prove the defense related offices have been up to no good. Haven't you ever watched Burn Notice, Leverage or The Bourne Supremidentimatumalacy?

• @Hatshepsut said:

Instead, they make the toilet with a kind of platform

Not anymore. It's out of vogue.

• @dhromed said:

You make it sound like that situation makes it more logical to lock toilets. Locking you toilets is fucking idiotic.

I work in a building with 34 other companies and the toilets are in the common area behind the lifts. No locks, other than the "privacy" ones on the stalls. There's even a shower on each floor, but I've never used it.

My old work had our own bathroom, complete with shower too, which I used all the time: it was a 10 minute pushbike ride to a water park that I had a season ticket to, so at lunch I'd ride my bike, sit in a spa for 20 minutes, ride back, have a shower and be back working in under an hour.

• @dhromed said:

You make it sound like that situation makes it more logical to lock toilets. Locking you toilets is fucking idiotic. Stop defending it!

@sprained said:

• The "Turd In The Towel" incident (the forementioned turd & towel was discovered in the cupboard under the bathroom sink)
    • Someone taking a crap in the female sanitary bin. No explanation required.
    • Someone leaving their underpants, complete with a fairly thick skidmark, above the false ceiling, which was discovered by the electrician replacing a light fitting (we believe the pants had been there quite some time - measured in years)

What sort of (company) culture has regular people behaving with all the debasement you find on a festival campsite?

All of them, also I think you rebutted your own argument about the locking when you take this second part into account.

• @locallunatic said:

All of them, also I think you rebutted your own argument about the locking when you take this second part into account.

I rebutted myself because you think people don't necessarily have to behave like human beings when in office buildings? You don't mind that people defecate at whatever location their beastly minds direct them to?

Is the norm so low where you are that you've come to expect this sort of shenanigans as an inescapable, unmendable phenomenon and rather than try to fix it or push back, you just shrug and beep your toilet card, and then you come here and have the nuts to defend your apathy and low standards? 

HAVE A GOOD, DEEP LOOK AT YOURSELF, AND WEEP. WEEP FOR HUMANITY LOST. WEEP FOR THE INSANITY THAT NEEDN'T BE.

• @dhromed said:

Is the norm so low where you are that you've come to expect this sort of shenanigans as an inescapable, unmendable phenomenon

Yep.

@dhromed said:

you just shrug and beep your toilet card

Nah my company just hires an extra janitor or two to cover up the fact that many employees may be humans, but aren't people.

@dhromed said:

HAVE A GOOD, DEEP LOOK AT YOURSELF, AND WEEP. WEEP FOR HUMANITY LOST. WEEP FOR THE INSANITY THAT NEEDN'T BE.

Once you adjust, it's not so bad.  But it does take a while.

• @TheLazyHase said:

It's almost as cute as thoses frenchs who believe America is entirely made of ignorant redneck with automatic weapon who ride safari in Mexico to get scalps.

Where, in fact, some prefer non automatic weapons.

The Hell?? That's crazy, there's no challenge in using automatic weapons!

• @dhromed said:

You don't mind that people defecate at whatever location their beastly minds direct them to?

The bathroom at Arby's..

@dhromed said:

Is the norm so low where you are that you've come to expect this sort of
    shenanigans as an inescapable, unmendable phenomenon and rather than try to fix it or push back, you just shrug and beep your toilet card, and then you come here and have the nuts to defend your apathy and low standards?

If I was in charge, I would eliminate the toilet cards and just settle on roaming death squads that punish toilet-related infractions with stealth tactics and eventual hanging from the lamppost in front the building as a warning to others. There would be no doors, of course, so the jackbooted man carrying their submachine guns can wander in and out of stalls, looking for trouble. But if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

• @dhromed said:

@locallunatic said:

I rebutted myself because you think people don't necessarily have to behave like human beings when in office buildings? You don't mind that people defecate at whatever location their beastly minds direct them to?

Is the norm so low where you are that you've come to expect this sort of shenanigans as an inescapable, unmendable phenomenon and rather than try to fix it or push back, you just shrug and beep your toilet card, and then you come here and have the nuts to defend your apathy and low standards? 

People have accidents. Shit happens. Sure, in your house it would ridiculous to imagine having such a bad day that you end up shitting in the sink, or some other piece of foulness. Or to imagine someone in your family suffering such an occurrence. But now extend that out to a building full of people. Thousands of people. Shitting day and night for years. Inevitably something will happen. The fates will align and Lord Nurgle will smile from the heavens and bless one unfortunate soul with a full colon, unreliable sphincter, and no time to handle either in an appropriate manner. Or someone will just get shitfaced at an office party. Either way, shitty things will happen in the toilet, not despite our common humanity, but because of it.

• @Snooder said:

People have accidents. Shit happens. Sure, in your house it would ridiculous to imagine having such a bad day that you end up shitting in the sink, or some other piece of foulness. Or to imagine someone in your family suffering such an occurrence. But now extend that out to a building full of people. Thousands of people. Shitting day and night for years. Inevitably something will happen. The fates will align and Lord Nurgle will smile from the heavens and bless one unfortunate soul with a full colon, unreliable sphincter, and no time to handle either in an appropriate manner. Or someone will just get shitfaced at an office party.

Morbs' Toilet Death Squads will accept none of those excuses!

@Snooder said:

Either way, shitty things will happen in the toilet, not despite our common humanity, but because of it.

But locking the toilet isn't going to prevent those things. It's just another layer of awfulness.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Snooder said:
    Either way, shitty things will happen in the toilet, not despite our common humanity, but because of it.
    But locking the toilet isn't going to prevent those things. It's just another layer of awfulness.

Oh agreed, but people use the locking as a way to pretend that horrible things happened due to outsiders rather than someone they may need to work with.  It's an obvious but useful fiction (for those that can't accept the terrible things many fellow employees do regularly).

• @locallunatic said:

Oh agreed, but people use the locking as a way to pretend that horrible things happened due to outsiders rather than someone they may need to work with.  It's an obvious but useful fiction (for those that can't accept the terrible things many fellow employees do regularly).

So what happens when someone discovers that somebody has been pooping into the hand blow-dryer since after the locks were put into place? Do they snap? Office shooting spree?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@locallunatic said:
    So what happens when someone discovers that somebody has been pooping into the hand blow-dryer since after the locks were put into place? Do they snap? Office shooting spree?

And hopefully they get the hand blow-dryer pooper when they do so.  But to get the proper reaction you need to build them up to it, without the silly locks they will just stick with the assumption that it's an outsider doing it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

It keeps the numbers down.Without the key, you extend the number of potential shitters to every person who might wander in off the streets with a bowel problem. With the key, you reduce the pool of people to only people who work in the building (and their guests) and further restrict it to people who need to shit so badly they're willing to look someone in the eye and beg for a key. I know there are times when I've been in a building with a restroom key and decided to hold it until I got home rather than admit I have normal bodily functions to the attractive receptionist.

• @Snooder said:

Without the key, you extend the number of potential shitters to every person who might wander in off the streets with a bowel problem.

Yeah, but like I said: in the city you usually have locks and/or security at the front door. In the 'burbs things are more casual, but who's pulling off the Interstate to park at your office park to take a dump? I mean, I do it, but I'm fucking psychotic.

@Snooder said:

I know there are times when I've been in a building with a restroom key and decided to hold it until I got home rather than admit I have normal bodily functions to the attractive receptionist.

You shouldn't. Women are impressed with a big poo. Oh, I know, they'll pretend they're not, just like they'll pretend penis size doesn't matter, but those are just facades they adopt to pretend they aren't as barbaric as men.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Oh, I know, they'll pretend they're not, just like they'll pretend penis size doesn't matter, but those are just facades they adopt to pretend they aren't as far more barbaric as men.

FTFY

• @locallunatic said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Oh, I know, they'll pretend they're not, just like they'll pretend penis size doesn't matter, but those are just facades they adopt to pretend they aren't as far more barbaric as men.

FTFY

I agree with everything you just said.

I have it on good authority from someone who cleans restrooms for a living that women are the ones with the excretory habits of forest animals.

Not only that, they produce more graffiti that needs to be scrubbed off or painted over.  But that may just be an artifact of opportunity: they're all alone in those stalls, as opposed to the open urinal banks in the men's room, they've brought their purses potentially full of writing implements in with them, they're sitting down with both hands free (other than the final stages) and a certain amount of free time (you expect to stay longer when you've had to unfasten various garments than when you can get by with just a quick unzip) for your creative juices to flow, and you're just naturally going to want to write some of it down.

None of which explains the "standing on the seat" thing.

• @da Doctah said:

I have it on good authority from someone who cleans restrooms for a living that women are the ones with the excretory habits of forest animals.

Not only that, they produce more graffiti that needs to be scrubbed off or painted over.  But that may just be an artifact of opportunity: they're all alone in those stalls, as opposed to the open urinal banks in the men's room, they've brought their purses potentially full of writing implements in with them, they're sitting down with both hands free (other than the final stages) and a certain amount of free time (you expect to stay longer when you've had to unfasten various garments than when you can get by with just a quick unzip) for your creative juices to flow, and you're just naturally going to want to write some of it down.

Huh. I used to check public restrooms at a place I worked, and the women's room was immaculate while the men's room looked like the scene of a crime. Maybe a murder committed with damp paper towels and urine--and if I was very unlucky--poo.

If I was alone, before we opened or after we locked-up for the night, I'd just use the women's room.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Huh. I used to check public restrooms at a place I worked, and the women's room was immaculate while the men's room looked like the scene of a crime. Maybe a murder committed with damp paper towels and urine--and if I was very unlucky--poo.

If I was alone, before we opened or after we locked-up for the night, I'd just use the women's room.

Hmm, how do we account for the difference in our knowledge of the conditions of women's restrooms?

Oh, I know!  The place you worked didn't have any women!

• @da Doctah said:

Oh, I know!  The place you worked didn't have any women!

Actually, it was mostly women; all the employees except me were women. I think the big thing is that a lot of our male customers were homeless, and they used the bathroom as shower, recreation spot or bed. (It was a public library.)

• @da Doctah said:

@locallunatic said:

@morbiuswilters said:

FTFY

My brother-in-law owns a cleaning service and he also says that women's restrooms are always a lot messier than men's. Except in chinese restaurants and gay bars apparently, but they had many issues with that type of customers so they don't clean there anymore.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@da Doctah said:

Usually done by people who come from countries where they (only?) use squat toilets. My google-foo's desserted me since this is the closest picture I can find of a western toilet adapted for those not used to anything but squat toilets.

• @locallunatic said:

@dhromed said:

@snoofle said:

the key to the men's room

You say this as if it's normal to lock down toilets.

In many corprate environments it is.  This is to prevent the high cost of the occational missing roll of TP and the time it takes to use the restroom (that isn't work!).  Of course these are also the same places that make you spend an hour (or more) each week filling out detailed timesheets where every option on where to bill your time points to the same department.

Where I work, you either have to put a £1 coin in the thing on the door, or beep your cafeteria card and get it debited £0.75 to use the facilities.  If the door is propped open, an alarm goes off after 45 seconds.  If you hold the door open for someone else entering, an alarm goes off.  If you don't have £0.75 on your cafeteria card or a £1 coin, you're going to be crapping in a wastepaper basket somewhere, there's no overrides.

• @drurowin said:

Where I work, you either have to put a £1 coin in the thing on the door, or beep your cafeteria card and get it debited £0.75 to use the facilities.  If the door is propped open, an alarm goes off after 45 seconds.  If you hold the door open for someone else entering, an alarm goes off.  If you don't have £0.75 on your cafeteria card or a £1 coin, you're going to be crapping in a wastepaper basket somewhere, there's no overrides.

Joe Chip is that you?

• @drurowin said:

Please tell me you are joking.

• @drurowin said:

Drurowin claims to be in हैदराबाद (Hyderabad), but the pay toilets take Pounds, not Rupees? I call shenanigans.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@drurowin said:
    Drurowin claims to be in हैदराबाद (Hyderabad), but the pay toilets take Pounds, not Rupees? I call shenanigans.

His location is inaccurate. He's in the furry part of London.

• @morbiuswilters said:

His location is inaccurate.
    Yeah, I'd considered that as a possibility. I'd still call that a shenanigan. An obviously inaccurate location is humorous (maybe), but a plausible inaccurate location inaccurate location is a shenanigan. Given the quality of some work I've seen from Hyderabad, it is very plausible that drurowin would be there; he'd fit right in.@morbiuswilters said:
    He's in the furry part of London.
    I wouldn't call that a shenanigan, I'd just call that ... disturbing.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

I wish I was.  There's also a rumor going around that the prices are going up to £2 cash or £1.60 card on 1 August because someone figured out that people had gotten used to spending a quid to go take a dump.

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

I wish I was.  There's also a rumor going around that the prices are going up to £2 cash or £1.60 card on 1 August because someone figured out that people had gotten used to spending a quid to go take a dump.

So it's just for twosies? Men get to pee for free? Do women have to pay just to pee? What about guys who have to sit down to pee?

• @drurowin said:

There's also a rumor going around that the prices are going up to £2 cash or £1.60 card on 1 August because someone figured out that people had gotten used to spending a quid to go take a dump.

I think if I worked where you did, management would be getting used to responding to an alarm every time I took a dump.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

So it's just for twosies? Men get to pee for free? Do women have to pay just to pee? What about guys who have to sit down to pee?

No, but you'd be surprised how many people piss in the mop drain in the janitor's closet.  At least they're doing it in a drain, yknow?

• @flabdablet said:

@drurowin said:
    There's also a rumor going around that the prices are going up to £2 cash or £1.60 card on 1 August because someone figured out that people had gotten used to spending a quid to go take a dump.

I think if I worked where you did, management would be getting used to responding to an alarm every time I took a dump.

The policy for people triggering the alarm is a "counseling" the first time it happens, a written warning the second, and a dismissal on the third.  Reasoning?  Bypassing access controls.  One of the secretaries just got dismissed for accidentally triggering the bathroom alarm a couple weeks ago after having a counseling and written warning for unrelated things.  She was in tears, but management didn't even come down to hear her case.  They just sent security around to escort her out.  Near as we could tell, she entered the bathroom, someone asked her something as the door was closing, and she pushed it back open and triggered the presence sensor again.

Yes, I am looking for a new job.

• @drurowin said:

@flabdablet said:

@drurowin said:

The policy for people triggering the alarm is a "counseling" the first time it happens, a written warning the second, and a dismissal on the third.  Reasoning?  Bypassing access controls.  One of the secretaries just got dismissed for accidentally triggering the bathroom alarm a couple weeks ago after having a counseling and written warning for unrelated things.  She was in tears, but management didn't even come down to hear her case.  They just sent security around to escort her out.  Near as we could tell, she entered the bathroom, someone asked her something as the door was closing, and she pushed it back open and triggered the presence sensor again.

What the fuck? Is your company personally run by King George III?

• @morbiuswilters said:

He wasn't that crazy.

• How is that even legal, on sanitation grounds? Do you not have any sort of Office of Occupational Safety and Health over there?

• @electronerd said:

How is that even legal, on sanitation grounds? Do you not have any sort of Office of Occupational Safety and Health over there?
    "Employees are free to leave the building and use the public restrooms in (name of shops across the street) if they do not wish to pay the restroom maintenance fee."

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@flabdablet said:

@drurowin said:

It wasn't this crazy until earlier this year.  That's when they introduced the 3 strike system.  Charging for the toilets started in about April.  We initially thought it was a joke, until they started enforcing the alarms.  I've heard from my supervisor that the CEO got the idea one day when he was looking at how much the cleaning service cost per month.  "Well, if they're the ones shitting on the wall, let them pay for the cleaners!"  It's a good idea on paper, but not in reality.

• @drurowin said:

@electronerd said:

How is that even legal, on sanitation grounds? Do you not have any sort of Office of Occupational Safety and Health over there?
    "Employees are free to leave the building and use the public restrooms in (name of shops across the street) if they do not wish to pay the restroom maintenance fee."

Unless your employer has a contract with said shops for the provision of restroom services, that may also be legally questionable, though probably difficult to prosecute.

• @electronerd said:

@drurowin said:

@electronerd said:

Unless your employer has a contract with said shops for the provision of restroom services, that may also be legally questionable, though probably difficult to prosecute.

Initially, the management of the shopping centre across the street threw a wobbly about it.  One of the receptionists showed their building manager the employee handbook regarding the charging for the bathroom and the alarms.  After that, they informally agreed to let us use their toilets, while trying to bill the company for the provision of toilet services.  "It's damned outrageous that they'd charge their own employees to use the toilets!" was their building manager's comment.

• @drurowin said:

"It's damned outrageous that they'd charge their own employees to use the toilets!" was their building manager's comment.

You guys need to take a cue from us and rebel: No vocation without defecation!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:
    "It's damned outrageous that they'd charge their own employees to use the toilets!" was their building manager's comment.

I've just arrived at the office here for the morning, actually, and based on the odours, it seems someone has already defecated somewhere inappropriate.  The cleaners are searching for the source of the smell.

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

I've just arrived at the office here for the morning, actually, and based on the odours, it seems someone has already defecated somewhere inappropriate.  The cleaners are searching for the source of the smell.

I was going to suggest some kind of campaign - but it looks like the Khazi Spring is starting by itself.

• @drurowin said:

I've heard from my supervisor that the CEO got the idea one day when he was looking at how much the cleaning service cost per month.  "Well, if they're the ones shitting on the wall, let them pay for the cleaners!"  It's a good idea on paper, but not in reality.

The CEO of a company I know had the microwaves removed from the employees cafeteria because "he did not pay for a $250,000 full staff cafeteria to have cheapskate bring $0.99 tv dinners for lunch". He also refused to have picnic tables installed in the yard because "if they get that the employees will ask for something else and it never ends".

• @Hatshepsut said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

I was going to suggest some kind of campaign - but it looks like the Khazi Spring is starting by itself.

An email was circulated just before I went home.  "Due to an unfortunate 'accident' that was found by the cleaning staff in one of the staff toilets this morning, and the subsequent increase in costs of the cleaning service, the price for staff toilets has been increased to £1.50 paid with coins, or £1.30 paid with cafeteria card, effective immediately.  We regret having to take this course of action, but if some members of our team choose to abuse their toilet facilities, we have no choice but to pass the increased cleaning costs on."

A follow-up was sent around about 15 minutes after that.  "It has come to our attention that many staff members do not routinely carry 50p coins.  Don't fret!  The machine will take a £2 coin*!

*change not provided"

This is seriously taking the piss, and I and a large number of other staff members are looking into whether this IS a H+S violation.  I'll keep you posted.

• @drurowin said:

Due to an unfortunate 'accident' that was found by the cleaning staff in one of the staff toilets this morning, and the subsequent increase in costs of the cleaning service, the price for staff toilets has been increased

Maybe the company's cleaning contract is TRWTF (or, well, its source)? Who in their right mind would negotiate a restroom cleaning contract where the ongoing rate appreciably increases "due to an unfortunate 'accident'"? I mean, if someone smeared shit on every inch of the walls or something, sure, but that should be a one-time extra charge if anything. Restrooms are going to get dirty. Cleaning them is just one of the things you have to pay for if you have an office.