The Official Status Thread

• @dkf said:

I have “LinkedIn” as a trigger for “mark as spam and autodelete” 😉

Does that mean you won't receive this email?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ben_lubar said:

Does that mean you won't receive this email?

My mailbox might. My eyes won't. That'll do for me. (And I've got most discomails switched off.)

• That distinction is meaningless. If someone removes a note from your desk before you get to work, you didn't receive the note. Nobody cares if your desk received the note in this situation.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@dkf said:

I have “LinkedIn” as a trigger for “mark as spam and autodelete” 😉

Same here. LinkedIn is a scourge. Fuck those people.

@HardwareGeek said:

Dwarf Fortress is never productive.

On the contrary, they produce a lot of poop.

• @FrostCat said:

@HardwareGeek said:

On the contrary, they produceIt is a lot of poop.

"Is" is not the same thing as "produces."

@HardwareGeek said:

@FrostCat said:
    @HardwareGeek said:

On the contrary, they produceIt is a lot of poop.

"Is" is not the same thing as "produces."

The simulated dwarves produce a lot of simulated poop. You'll have to decide for yourself whether that counts.

• I have not read any of the drivel @ben_lubar posts in sufficient detail to notice this aspect of the game. I do not feel that my new-found awareness has improved my life.

Filed under: DF is even poopier than I thought.

• Status: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain...s of Seattle.

It's like a space warp or something.

Also I live on a hill.

This status sucks.

• @HardwareGeek said:

I have not read any of the drivel @ben_lubar posts in sufficient detail to notice this aspect of the game. I do not feel that my new-found awareness has improved my life.

They don't poop, but they do vomit everywhere. And leave their socks (and in some cases, trousers) on the floor in the dining hall.

• @ben_lubar said:

trousers

I don't even want to know...

• @HardwareGeek said:

@ben_lubar said:
    trousers

I don't even want to know...

Well, I'm telling you anyway.

You know how if you're going to go buy a car, you sometimes sell your old car first?

They do this with pants. Except that there's no intra-fortress economy, so they just go grab some from a bin somewhere.

Either that, or this happens: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thought#Clothing

@blakeyrat said:

Also I live on a hill.

Better than living next to the river. Speaking as someone who also lives on a hill.

• BINNED

@dkf said:

Better than living next to the river.

or under the bridge, next to the river.

• Blakey posted some comment last winter about flooding that made it sound like he lived in the river.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Helping a livestreamer with Antichamber. Man this game is... involved.

• Status: Weird power glitches a few minutes ago. Lights flickered several times, but the computer stayed up. Then the monitors went black, and at least the secondary one decided it had lost video from the computer long enough to go into standby. The computer didn't reboot, although for about 30 seconds, or so, it seemed to be in some nonfunctioning state. Eventually the monitors came back on, initially black except for the mouse pointer — pointing finger on the secondary monitor; double-headed arrow on the primary. When the desktop appeared, Windows had decided the secondary monitor had been disconnected, and moved all the windows onto the primary monitor — except email, which was still open on the secondary.

STATUS Too hot.

Its very mild here so naturally the heating in the building is on full blast so we opened the windows. We're near the 20th floor though so I suspect we're letting in more pollution than cool air.

• Subreddit of the day: /r/iamverysmart

• We should Jeff like half the forum there.

• FoxDev

Status****strong text😄

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Antichamber

Worst puzzle game. Hated it.

• @dse said:

@dkf said:
    Better than living next to the river.

or under the bridge, next to the river.

Or in a van down by the river.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@fbmac said:

andchat worked reasonably for me, and a mobile connection can't get any worse than what I have during work hours

++ Andchat. Like an IRC program should: It Just Fucking Works.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Status: Last day before holidays at my wife's school. The school puts on a holiday thing at the theatre-- students play music, do Christmasy stuff, etc. The staff, by tradition, put on a skit-- something silly and pop-culture filled.

This year my wife is playing Sarah Connor.

She's pregnant.

So my kid is ALREADY cosplaying-- as John Connor. 😀

• @Lorne_Kates said:

But The Terminator is rated R, so how would the kids know who that is? 🚎

The fetus is approbation age! Won't those Canadian seal clubbers every stop... 🙅

@HardwareGeek said:

Weird power glitches a few minutes ago.

That's undefined behaviour! @blakeyrat said:

Hated it.

It is extremely dependent on your ability or capability of lateral thinking and willingness to accept non-Euclidean space. @ben_lubar said:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail193.html

Actually kinda accurate...

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Actually kinda accurate...

• BINNED

Windows 10 Setup

#Getting updates
    This may take a few minutes

Checking for updates: 0%

FOR 15 SOLID FUCKING MINUTES NOW!

flips several tables

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Problem Step 1: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox (application)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"
    Program: Firefox, 42.0, Mozilla Corporation, FIREFOX.EXE, FIREFOX.EXE
    UI Elements: Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, MozillaWindowClass

Problem Step 2: User left click on "You spin me right round baby, right round... (push button)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"
    UI Elements: You spin me right round baby, right round..., Is it just me or server cooties?, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, MozillaWindowClass

Problem Step 3: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"
    UI Elements: Is it just me or server cooties?, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, MozillaWindowClass

Problem Step 4: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"
    UI Elements: Is it just me or server cooties?, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, MozillaWindowClass

Problem Step 5: User left click on "You spin me right round baby, right round... (push button)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"
    UI Elements: You spin me right round baby, right round..., Is it just me or server cooties?, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox, MozillaWindowClass

Problem Step 6: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 7: User left click on "You spin me right round baby, right round... (push button)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 8: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 9: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 10: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 11: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 12: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 13: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 14: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 15: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 16: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 17: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 18: User left click on "Is it just me or server cooties? (document)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

Problem Step 19: User left click on "You spin me right round baby, right round... (push button)" in "Is it just me or server cooties? - Mozilla Firefox"

• BINNED

Ah, I see you got it in the end! 😛

Maybe the spin speed range should be a bit lower...

I was close enough in Step 7 that the problem steps recorder actually thought I got it.

Otherwise, I seem to be consistently about an inch ahead of where the bar is.

• BINNED

Status update: System upgrade is actually about 2,500× faster than "Checking for updates" step.

• We've replaced @Onyx's internet with @ben_lubar's internet. Let's see if he notices.

• BINNED

You get a like, but no. Seriously, once it found whatever updates it wanted it downloaded in under a minute.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Maciejasjmj said:

@Lorne_Kates said:

But The Terminator is rated R, so how would the kids know who that is? 🚎

She'll sneak the kid in under her coat.

Or we could watch any of the PG-13 sequels, because that's what makes for a good Terminator movie.

@Onyx said:

once it found whatever updates it wanted

See that's the problem: The process that does the "checking" doesn't support status updates, so it just stays there at 0% until it completes, upon which it jumps to 100% (for a fraction of a discosecond) before moving on to the summary display.

Why it takes so long? Well you see, first it gets a list of all the updates you've installed in the past and validates their install status; after that it calculates and uploads a "fingerprint" of your computer, including (but not limited to) the current Windows build number, version, processor type (and various other hardware details), a list of programs installed on your computer (including said prior updates), the hidden status of updates offered before, updates currently installed, and your screen resolution. Once the upload is completed, it waits to download the packageupdates list from Windows Update, which is finally displayed on your screen.

Typically, this long and arduous process happens in the background, so you don't notice how long it takes to do all these things and by the time you think to check it's done (and you probably have a stale updates list, but whatever) and you can immediately start updating.

So, what you're saying is, Microsoft needs to make their updater provide verbose information about its package status?

Filed under: Anthony Weiner

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

It is extremely dependent on your ability or capability of lateral thinking and willingness to accept non-Euclidean space.

No it's not. It's based on coming up with the solution in 15 seconds, but taking 30 minutes to actually implement the solution and if you get a SINGLE block out of place, fuck you start over.

I'm talking specifically of that timing puzzle where you have to make rows of blocks the exactly correct length in a small constrained space, and if you screw it up your solution gets erased.

I have no idea how that got through playtesting, assuming they did any.

@blakeyrat said:

puzzle where you have to make rows of blocks the exactly correct length in a small constrained space, and if you screw it up your solution gets erased.

Yeah, that one sucked major balls, and I'm not usually one for doing that.

• "Sucks major balls" it putting it mildly. It's a game-stopper. You might as well just pop up a dialog that said, "hey: stop playing now; you're welcome, I just saved you 45 minutes of frustration".

@blakeyrat said:

I just saved you 45 minutes of frustration

Lol indeed. We spent an hour messing with a door that had an "n" lock with only one hole (and the trigger laser on the other end of the "n"). The block color indicated you could accomplish the task with the Yellow gun, but it just wasn't happening.
    Using my foreknowledge, this puzzle would be trivial with the Red gun, but I never did get that far to obtain it.

• Shit like that in an older puzzle game wouldn't bother me, but what really rankles me is that game was started LONG after games like Portal provided a good example to follow, and they still screwed it up.

They could have at the very least put in a "go back 5 block placements" button/feature you could use, so you didn't have to start from scratch each time.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Blakey posted some comment last winter about flooding that made it sound like he lived in the river.

Depending on the hill's geography, those are not mutually exclusive.

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Why it takes so long? Well you see, first it gets a list of all the updates you've installed in the past and validates their install status; after that it calculates and uploads a "fingerprint" of your computer, including (but not limited to) the current Windows build number, version, processor type (and various other hardware details), a list of programs installed on your computer (including said prior updates), the hidden status of updates offered before, updates currently installed, and your screen resolution. Once the upload is completed, it waits to download the packageupdates list from Windows Update, which is finally displayed on your screen.

That's all fine and dandy for a running system. But this was during the Windows 10 upgrade process!

So this thing was, presumably, just downloading updates released since the image that it downloaded. The same it previously checked for consistency. Which means it had the MD5 or SHA sum of it. So it knew which one it is, and could just do a "get all updates released since 2015-MM-DD", no? The only thing I can give it is probing the hardware, but that's just checking the device ID FFS,

Basically, 95% of the steps you outlined above should not be happening.

• @Onyx said:

Checking for updates: 0%

My old Lenovo X61 with Windows 7 did that for 1/2 hr this morning. It was still doing it when I left for work.

@Onyx said:

no?

Nope, definitely not, that would be too easy!

@Onyx said:

Basically, 95% of the steps you outlined above should not be happening.
    QFT.