The Official Status Thread

• BINNED

@tar said:

But it's working for you now?

@Onyx said:

Restarted the DSL modem again. Everything works.

Fuck off Duckhorse, my post was not empty!

• You're implying that some of the words at the end of your post relate to the ones (that I read) at the start of your post?

• BINNED

Yes, that is usually how it works. You know, three act structure: breaking of shit, repairing of shit, shit getting fixed / thrown out the window (depending on what kind of ending is more dramatically satisfying).

• Banned

appears that mem usage spiked and quickly went back to normal we have 3.2GB of wiggle room at the moment (1.7GB on swap)

• Status: (Almost) Found a bug in a framework's code after decompiling and sifting through several 100+ line methods. Thankfully, it is Java so it decompiles somewhat sanely.

According to debug log entries, it is broken for no good reason, and according to the decompiled code it is not broken at all. Will contact the vendor tomorrow.

• Great, now fix the bug where every goddamned page load on Windows Phone scrolls down to like pixel 478423482742847328472 and you have to scroll up for like an hour to find the content.

Oh and BTW AFAICT this is a brand new bug as of today, GOOD JOB REGRESSION TESTING YOU IDIOTS.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

From what I've worked with on those, unless you have a metric shit-ton(ne) of firewall rules, it should be able to handle 50-100Mbps of traffic if it's the CRS1xx series and 100-200Mbps if it's the CRS2xx series. Unless you're doing some sort of Layer 7 matching or something dumb (because even the CCR series sucks ass with Layer 7 matching)

Well, OK, it's more the Layer 7 matcher is a whiny bitch and it's really easy to set things up wrong so that using a couple different Layer 7 matches winds up bringing your router to your knees. I guess you could say the Layer 7 matcher is MT's Disco-product

Also, the original CRS125 units may have the 600MHz processor that can handle the 100-200Mbps of traffic in routing mode. For reasons

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Status: Quite a bit annoyed that what was originally going to be 2 separate weeks of business travel, with a 2-week interval between them, is now 2 back to back weeks of business travel.

• @JazzyJosh said:

I wrote some more

I've seen that before, but will like anyway. :) It's apparently fairly well known among musicians. I once described it to someone as "P.D.Q. Bach meets John Cage ," and he knew immediately that I was talking about this, and said that was a good way to describe it.

• Banned

I think @neil may have a windows phone, can you have a look at this?

@blakeyrat can you check if this happens on meta.discourse.org or try.discourse.org in case it is fixed in latest.

• BINNED

@izzion said:

Unless you're doing some sort of Layer 7 matching

AFAIK, there were some layer 7 rules, yes. I didn't configure it, nor it's my job to, so I'm going off second hand info.

• @blakeyrat said:

> Giant call stacks...

Only in Java-land.

I would like to present a counter-point.

I, [2015-03-11T00:14:36.514386 #20123]  INFO -- : Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 56ms
    F, [2015-03-11T00:14:36.521201 #20123] FATAL -- : 
    TypeError - TypeError:
      app/controllers/explorer_controller.rb:49:in `block in run'
      activerecord (4.1.9) lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:46:in `each'
      app/controllers/explorer_controller.rb:42:in `run'
          --- AUTHOR'S NOTE - DISCOURSE CODE STARTS HERE ---
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal/implicit_render.rb:4:in `send_action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:189:in `process_action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal/rendering.rb:10:in `process_action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:20:in `block in process_action'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:113:in `call'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:166:in `block in halting'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:149:in `block in halting_and_conditional'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:229:in `block in halting'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:86:in `run_callbacks'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:19:in `process_action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal/rescue.rb:29:in `process_action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:31:in `block in process_action'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/notifications.rb:159:in `block in instrument'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/notifications/instrumenter.rb:20:in `instrument'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/notifications.rb:159:in `instrument'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:30:in `process_action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb:250:in `process_action'
      activerecord (4.1.9) lib/active_record/railties/controller_runtime.rb:18:in `process_action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:136:in `process'
      actionview (4.1.9) lib/action_view/rendering.rb:30:in `process'
      rack-mini-profiler (0.9.3) lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:106:in `block in profile_method'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal.rb:196:in `dispatch'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal/rack_delegation.rb:13:in `dispatch'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_controller/metal.rb:232:in `block in action'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:82:in `dispatch'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:50:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:73:in `block in call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:59:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:685:in `call'
      rack-protection (1.5.3) lib/rack/protection/frame_options.rb:31:in `call'
      omniauth (1.2.2) lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:186:in `call!'
      omniauth (1.2.2) lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:164:in `call'
      omniauth (1.2.2) lib/omniauth/builder.rb:59:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/conditionalget.rb:35:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/head.rb:11:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/params_parser.rb:27:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/flash.rb:254:in `call'
      message_bus (1.0.6) lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:55:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:225:in `context'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:220:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:562:in `call'
      activerecord (4.1.9) lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:36:in `call'
      activerecord (4.1.9) lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:621:in `call'
      activerecord (4.1.9) lib/active_record/migration.rb:380:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:29:in `block in call'
      activesupport (4.1.9) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:82:in `run_callbacks'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:27:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/reloader.rb:73:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:76:in `call'
      better_errors (2.1.1) lib/better_errors/middleware.rb:84:in `protected_app_call'
      better_errors (2.1.1) lib/better_errors/middleware.rb:79:in `better_errors_call'
      better_errors (2.1.1) lib/better_errors/middleware.rb:57:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:17:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:30:in `call'
      logster (0.1.8) lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:31:in `call'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:38:in `call_app'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:22:in `call'
      config/initializers/quiet_logger.rb:10:in `call_with_quiet_assets'
      config/initializers/silence_logger.rb:26:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:21:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/methodoverride.rb:21:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/runtime.rb:17:in `call'
      actionpack (4.1.9) lib/action_dispatch/middleware/static.rb:84:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/sendfile.rb:112:in `call'
      lib/middleware/missing_avatars.rb:21:in `call'
      lib/middleware/turbo_dev.rb:33:in `call'
      rack-mini-profiler (0.9.3) lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:276:in `call'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/engine.rb:514:in `call'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/application.rb:144:in `call'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `method_missing'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/builder.rb:138:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/urlmap.rb:65:in `block in call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/urlmap.rb:50:in `call'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/content_length.rb:14:in `call'
      thin (1.6.3) lib/thin/connection.rb:86:in `block in pre_process'
      thin (1.6.3) lib/thin/connection.rb:84:in `pre_process'
      thin (1.6.3) lib/thin/connection.rb:53:in `process'
      thin (1.6.3) lib/thin/connection.rb:39:in `receive_data'
      eventmachine (1.0.7) lib/eventmachine.rb:187:in `run'
      thin (1.6.3) lib/thin/backends/base.rb:73:in `start'
      thin (1.6.3) lib/thin/server.rb:162:in `start'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/handler/thin.rb:16:in `run'
      rack (1.5.2) lib/rack/server.rb:264:in `start'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/commands/server.rb:69:in `start'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:81:in `block in server'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:76:in `server'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:40:in `run_command!'
      railties (4.1.9) lib/rails/commands.rb:17:in `<top (required)>'
      bin/rails:4:in `<main>'

• BINNED

if (responseCode != 250) return false;

Nice error handling, thanks! 😑

• This kind of thing--where the score itself is a part of the art of the piece--has been around for a very long time. George Crumb did this kind of thing in the 1970s. Other composers were doing it in Europe in the 1470s. Here's an example of a 15th century French love song.

• BINNED

:facepalm:

• QSettings uses ini format on Linux
    • The value I stored contains a ;
    • ; is the "comment" character in ini files
    • I created the config file by hand
    • Forgot to quote the value

:headdesk:

• While you're here. How commited is discourse development to work on mobile devices? I've got a fair share of quirks on my ipad, but I guess I've just learned to love the bomb and stop worrying rather than spamming meta.d.

• BINNED

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

While you're here. How commited is discourse development to work on mobile devices? I've got a fair share of quirks on my ipad, but I guess I've just learned to love the bomb and stop worrying and love the bomb rather than spamming meta.d.

/pendant

• Gee. You caught the reference even if I presented it in reverse order because it fitted better into the sentence.

Shall I bring out the bubbly?

• BINNED

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Shall I bring out the bubbly?

If you'd like. I'm not a fan but won't refuse a free drink.

Also, you seem rankled. Maybe something stronger is in order?

• I have:

• A splitting headache
    • No tea
    • A towel
    • A thing my aunt gave me which I don't know what it is
    • A buffered analgesic
    • Pocket fluff

• Banned

very committed, but ios 8 really hit us hard, so many regressions that they have been refusing to fix for whatever reason. we are going to have to start adding some ios specific hacks to work around these regressions.

see:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/blank-white-page-after-login-in-ios-8/21181

https://meta.discourse.org/t/composing-interface-is-hard-to-use-on-ios-8/21776

• In that case: http://youtu.be/BRUrtK7fsUY

Specifically note how I get thrown to the end of a thread even if I reply to someone in the middle. When you still have 100-odd more posts to go through, this is a bit of a hassle.

Upload images (which is the reason I created this video) requires, as you can see, that you do not select the "upload image" button at first, but rather click just below it, wiggle the dark screen a bit, and then you can click the button as expected.

• @tar said:

Replacing struct with class is almost certainly going to cause errors. But I said nothing about that.

Oops. Somehow I read "You can pretty much grab any C++ codebase and replace class with struct, and it will continue function as it did before" as "You can pretty much grab any C++ codebase and interchange class and> struct, and it will continue function as it did before".

You are right, of course. My excuse: the coffee machine at work is broken for 2 consecutive days, so I have been undercaffeinated.

• BINNED

@tar said:

so now you both look silly

I want to look silly too!

• BINNED

@Luhmann said:

I want to look silly too!

No worries I seem to be handling this rather well ...

• Is there anything about belgium that isn't silly?

• FoxDev

@aliceif said:

Is there anything about belgium that isn't silly?

The beer!

• BINNED

@aliceif said:

Is there anything about ■■■■■■■ that isn't silly?

Strangely can't think of any examples right now
    Nope ... silly all the way down

• kills Dumbledore

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Specifically note how I get thrown to the end of a thread even if I reply to someone in the middle. When you still have 100-odd more posts to go through, this is a bit of a hassle.

There's a discobool in the settings to change this behaviour

• @Jaloopa said:

There's a discobool in the settings to change this behaviour

Thanks. Missed that one.

• BINNED

Build Status: Sentient and Annoyed

Yes.

• @sam said:

@blakeyrat can you check if this happens on meta.discourse.org or try.discourse.org in case it is fixed in latest.

No I cannot. Unless you're going to pay me for all the fucking time your shitty product has wasted.

• FoxDev

you are aware that you don't have to be here, right? but if you are going to be here I for one would appreciate it if you weren't so hostile to the friendly discodevs.

not that i can hope to compel you to be nice, but i can ask nicely; which is what i'm trying.

• @accalia said:

you are aware that you don't have to be here, right?

I've been here a hell of a lot longer than Sam has.

Sam doesn't have to shit out broken crappy software, and yet for some reason he continually does. Hm! I'd much rather have a slightly competent developer than a "friendly" one.

@accalia said:

but if you are going to be here I for one would appreciate it if you weren't so hostile to the friendly discodevs.

Oh no, I'm being chided by an idiot otherkin. Or whatever the fuck you are.

@accalia said:

not that i can hope to compel you to be nice, but i can ask nicely; which is what i'm trying.

Pfft. Try harder next time.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@CarrieVS said:

Taking the Mick. Mick being rhyming slang short for Mickey Bliss.

There's a bit of disagreement on that. It could be short for "micturation". Which actually, makes a lot more sense.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Pfft. Try harder next time.

well that went about as well as could be expected. :sadface:

still it was worth a try.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Unless you're going to pay me for all the fucking time your shitty product has wasted.

I'm sure you and @sam could work something out. Might I suggest 100 forumpointzzz?

• @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

A thing my aunt gave me which I don't know what it is

Ooooh! A guessing game!

Like twenty questions... let's change the categories, tho...

All right.... Is it a "Disease", "Knick-knack", or hmm, "Strange Scandnavian Food"?

Hoping it's not a disease!

Feel better ;)

• @Polygeekery said:

There's a bit of disagreement on that. It could be short for "micturation". Which actually, makes a lot more sense.

Never heard that before but it does sound plausible. However I disagree with the assessment that rhyming slang doesn't also make sense, with the caveat that we're talking about an expression being coined by Brits.

To add even more non-clarity to the issue, "Taking the Mick" was explained to me by a Kiwi who said that "micturation is an old-time POHM word." :-)

• @Polygeekery said:

What rhymes with "Limey bastards"? Hmmmm

The only things that really rhyme with bastard are verbs - plastered and mastered, which more or less stymies any attempt to use them for rhyming slang for a noun. If you're ok with assonance, there's a couple more things.

Grimy dashboard, has possibilities. However this isn't enough for rhyming slang: you need a word that bears no relation to the word in question except to rhyme, and then make that the final part of a short phrase that bears no relation to the word in question. Often it then gets shortened to the first, non-rhyming part, but not always.

(This may sound overly complicated but in fact the point is to come up with something that on the face of it bears no relationship at all to the intended meaning. The purpose of rhyming slang being to stop the bottles from understanding what you were up to if they overheard your conversation.)

To be honest I'm not aware of any rhyming slang of multi-word expressions, I'm not quite sure how to approach it.

@CarrieVS said:

To be honest I'm not aware of any rhyming slang of multi-word expressions, I'm not quite sure how to approach it.

It was a joke...

You and @ben_lubar should date. 😛

• @Polygeekery said:

It was a joke...

I know. I was taking the mick.

@CarrieVS said:

I was taking the mick.

Apparently. That's like 4 paragraphs worth of mick. That's a lot of mick. ;)

• @Polygeekery said:

That's a lot of mick

The more mick you get out of something, the better you are at taking it? Or I just have too much time on my hands.

@CarrieVS said:

The more mick you get out of something, the better you are at taking it?

I feel like "That's what she said" would fit in here, but this is British humour so I have no idea...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Polygeekery said:

I feel like "That's what she said" would fit in here, but this is British humour so I have no idea...

I'd go with the close-equivalent “As the actress said to the bishop.”

• @ijij said:

Ooooh! A guessing game!

Like twenty questions... let's change the categories, tho...

All right.... Is it a "Disease", "Knick-knack", or hmm, "Strange Scandnavian Food"?

Hoping it's not a disease!

Feel better ;)

:rolleyes: sad...

What do I have to do? Read Vogon poetry?

I did have a headache and no tea, though.