Damn! I missed it!



  • Got this in a mail from Rockstar yesterday:

    11th of February?Aww...

    For blakeyrant (everyone else probably has gotten the point already, so they can just skip the rest of the post): see, there's several different date formats in use around the world (a 'date' is a common designation of a point in 'time', based on - simply put - the number of rotations of the earth (the planet we all live on) around the sun (the big yellow glowy thing in the sky), and 'time' (being one of the dimensions of a construct called the 'space-time continuum') is commonly used to measure the sequence of events) and some people in a place called "Europe" use a format like "day.month.year" so that, for example the "11th of February 2011" would be written as "11.02.11", just like in the picture, whereas some people in another place called the "USA" would write that as "02/11/11" because they put the month first for some odd reason. Anyway, they probably meant to put the "2nd of November 2011" in the picture, but while using the "USA" ordering of the date fields they used the "Europe" style of separating them with "." instead of "/", so it looks like a european date and means something very much different. Now, isn't that funny? Ha Ha!

     



  • The '.' separator doesn't apply to the whole of Europe. In the Netherlands, a '-' is used. So it's doubly wrong for us Dutchies.



  • @steenbergh said:

    So it's doubly wrong for us Dutchies.
     

    Yeah. This looks like a bad phone number.

     

    Of course, I am sensitive to context so herp derp of course I can infer that it's Nov 2 2011, and I think WTFs like these are just reaching.



  • @dhromed said:

    the "Europe" style of separating them with "." instead of "/"
    For very specific values of "Europe" I suppose :)

    @dhromed said:

    @steenbergh said:

    So it's doubly wrong for us Dutchies.
     

    Yeah. This looks like a bad phone number.

     

    Of course, I am sensitive to context so herp derp of course I can infer that it's Nov 2 2011, and I think WTFs like these are just reaching.

    Here in Belgium we use the / for separating dateparts



  •  You failed to see the obvious.

     

    It's not a date, it's the build number.



  • Hm. By "mail" is it safe to assume you're talking about "e-mail", as in an e-mail marketing campaign that could have potentially been blasted out to N number of e-mail addresses? I think it's also pretty safe to assume (based on the first assumption being rhetorical) that if this is the case, then said e-mail address is just a simple list containing very little more than just an e-mail address. So how would YOU go about formatting a series of e-mail blasts in such a way that you could reasonably determine the recipients locale just off of an e-mail address? Now granted, I admit that I do not know your e-mail address, and thus I do not know the domain name of your e-mail address. It very well easily could end in .co.uk or some such reasonable identifier. But since when is it reasonable to expect a marketing campaign to expend the man-power, time, and other such resources in being so pedantic about something that is a) made in the "good ol' U.S of A", b) built in a fictional world based in the "good ol' U.S. of A", and c) it's a fucking e-mail blast for cripes sake. As someone else already said, you're reaching.



  • I find it amusing that your post is kind of a complaint on the ignorance of Amricans on the subject of "European" date formats, while displaying just as much ignorance yourself. There is no such thing as a standard "European" date format. In Sweden, for example, the standard date format is YY-MM-DD. So not only are there no dots, which you claim "European" date formats have, but it's also in a completely reversed order (though in this particular case the interpretation is the same anyway)!

    I realise others have made the same point before, but I couldn't help myself.



  •  I get around the whole issue by only using Unix epoch seconds.



  • @rpjs said:

     I get around the whole issue by only using Unix epoch seconds.

     

    Dammit.  Beat me to it.

     



  • @dohpaz42 said:

    So how would YOU go about formatting a series of e-mail blasts.

    How about "November 2nd 2011"???  



  •  I get it! They used both 5 and V. How redundantly redundant. Yo dawg, I heard you like numbers, so here's an email with two of them.



  • @hspp said:

    I find it amusing that your post is kind of a complaint on the ignorance of Amricans on the subject of "European" date formats, while displaying just as much ignorance yourself. There is no such thing as a standard "European" date format. In Sweden, for example, the standard date format is YY-MM-DD. So not only are there no dots, which you claim "European" date formats have, but it's also in a completely reversed order (though in this particular case the interpretation is the same anyway)!

    I realise others have made the same point before, but I couldn't help myself.

     

    YY-MM-DD is one of the permitted forms of ISO date, so it is actually An International Standard (TM).<BR><BR>

    The joke about Sweden is that that's the only place in the world that implements all the international standards.

     

     



  •  I'm just waiting with nefarious glee for the day when some nation decides to start using YYYY.DDD format - as in, 2011.296 or similar.  Or maybe that calendar (I think it was Discordian, but I'm too lazy to verify) which had 5 months of 73 days each except on leap years.



  • Thank you for explaining the "WTF".

    Of course, what you missed is that this is an American game (set in an American city, and featuring American characters) being delivered by an American company to customers primarily in America.

    If you guys want to pimp your date format, maybe make games as popular as the GTA series. Then you can put whatever euro-weenie date on the promotional emails and posters you like.



  • @Anonymouse said:

    11th of February?

    What calendar system are you using?* I'm having a tough time understanding this without more detail.

    * Disclaimer for blakeyrat: This post was written using American English.



  • @hspp said:

    There is no such thing as a standard "European" date format.
    I admit, I might have made that part a bit clearer, but I was talking about "some people in Europe", not "everyone in Europe"...



  • @rpjs said:

     I get around the whole issue by only using Unix epoch seconds.

    We prefix YYYYMMDD for some of our files so they get sorted well. One of my colleagues keeps on using YYYYDDMM because he's a dumbass.
    From a purely CS point of view both ssmmhhDDMMYYYY and YYYYMMDDhhmmss make sense, and with both formats you can leave out irrelevent information (eg YYYYMMDDhh). Too bad there's almost no human date format that comes close, although the common format in western-Europe (D.M.YYYY hh:mm:ss) comes close. Personally I think the US way (M/D/YY h:mm:ss am|pm) is just plain retarded



  • I encrypt the date:    sYDhMmYMsDhm



  • @boomzilla said:

    * Disclaimer for blakeyrat: This post was written using American English.

    There's a difference between trolling and mobbing.



  • @dtech said:

    From a purely CS point of view both ssmmhhDDMMYYYY and YYYYMMDDhhmmss make sense, and with both formats you can leave out irrelevent information (eg YYYYMMDDhh). Too bad there's almost no human date format that comes close, although the common format in western-Europe (D.M.YYYY hh:mm:ss) comes close. Personally I think the US way (M/D/YY h:mm:ss am|pm) is just plain retarded

    The "US way" is really only used by civilians. The military typically orders the data in day month year, although the format is more properly DD-MMM-YYYY, so you get "02-NOV-2011." And in that context, the numbers are usually considered nominal, not ordinal, so you would say that as, "2 November 2011." Of course, most of the other words you say in that context are acronyms, so it's not really meant to be understood by people who don't already understand it (blakey would never make it working with those guys).

    But since most people (in the US) say "November 2nd 2011," the typical US ordering is really the most reasonable. We can't help it if you guys can't speak write.



  • @dhromed said:

    I am sensitive to context so herp derp of course I can infer that it's Nov 2 2011, and I think WTFs like these are just reaching.
     

    TRWTF is the two-digit year.  Have we already forgotten Y2K?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Of course, what you missed is that this is an American game (set in an American city, and featuring American characters) being delivered by an American company to customers primarily in America.

    of course, what you missed is that it's actually written, designed and devloped in Scotland by (mainly) Scottish developers.



  • @derula said:

    @boomzilla said:
    * Disclaimer for blakeyrat: This post was written using American English.

    There's a difference between trolling and mobbing.

    Hmm....what sort of english are you using there? That doesn't sound American. According to searches, you euroweenies use it instead of the perfectly serviceable "bullying." I'm just trying to prevent misunderstandings that lead to flame wars.

    * Disclaimer for blakeyrat: On line (i.e., on the Internet) flame wars involve no actual fire.



  • @boomzilla said:

    According to searches, you euroweenies use it instead of the perfectly serviceable "bullying."

    Yup. Sorry.



  • @Anonymouse said:

    Got this in a mail from Rockstar yesterday:

    11th of February?Aww...

    For blakeyrant (everyone else probably has gotten the point already, so they can just skip the rest of the post): see, there's several different date formats in use around the world (a 'date' is a common designation of a point in 'time', based on - simply put - the number of rotations of the earth (the planet we all live on) around the sun (the big yellow glowy thing in the sky), and 'time' (being one of the dimensions of a construct called the 'space-time continuum') is commonly used to measure the sequence of events) and some people in a place called "Europe" use a format like "day.month.year" so that, for example the "11th of February 2011" would be written as "11.02.11", just like in the picture, whereas some people in another place called the "USA" would write that as "02/11/11" because they put the month first for some odd reason. Anyway, they probably meant to put the "2nd of November 2011" in the picture, but while using the "USA" ordering of the date fields they used the "Europe" style of separating them with "." instead of "/", so it looks like a european date and means something very much different. Now, isn't that funny? Ha Ha!

     

    What is a trailer?



  • @MascarponeRun said:

    What is a trailer?
     

    It's a thing that gives your penis one well-placed lick and then loudly says PREPARE TO BUY THE WHOLE TREATMENT, BITCH.



  •  @da Doctah said:

    TRWTF is the two-digit year. 
    You're worried that people will think they mean 1911?

    TRWTF is using a confusing and ambiguous date format when there is the simple and completely unambiguous  <font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Nov 2, 2011</font>.  Or if you really need to shave off a few characters, <font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Nov 2, '11</font>.



  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords, especially if they introduce a planet-wide consistent calendar.






     

     

     
    12Bak’tun 19K’atun 18Tun 15Winal 3K’in   3 Ak’bal   11 Sak   G6

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @da Doctah said:
    TRWTF is the two-digit year. 
    You're worried that people will think they mean 1911?
     

    No, I'm worried that people will think they mean the year 11 A.D.

    When Jesus was in junior high.



  • From another user on a game I play:

    Display all dates/times in the following format for convenience:

    YYYY:HH:DD*MM:mm:ss

    where YYYY=year, HH=hour in 24 hour format, DD=day of month (1-31), MM=month, mm=minutes, and ss=seconds

    Under this superior system, I am posting at 2008:17:25*11:23:45 which is clearly much easier to read and use than the current system's display time of 25-11-2008 19:07



  • @da Doctah said:

    Have we already forgotten Y2K?
    Yes, we have. Because NOTHING HAPPENED!



  • @rpjs said:

     I get around the whole issue by only using Unix epoch seconds.

    I find those give too high a resolution over too short a range to be good for dates. I use Julian days.

     



  • @da Doctah said:

    When Jesus was in junior high.
     

    What's junior high? When I was 11 I was in grade 6, which is still in primary school. (From 2015 my state is moving grade 7 from primary school to high school)



  •  @Scarlet Manuka said:

    Under this superior system, I am posting at 2008:17:25*11:23:45 which is clearly much easier to read and use than the current system's display time of 25-11-2008 19:07

    Relax. Dude probably just mixed up HH and MM.



  • @dhromed said:

    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    Under this superior system, I am posting at 2008:17:25*11:23:45 which is clearly much easier to read and use than the current system's display time of 25-11-2008 19:07

    Relax. Dude probably just mixed up HH and MM.

    I often mess up java date formats. MM vs mm (month vs minutes). I agree with dhromed. It's hard to believe (unless you really believe in the extreme tail of blakey's aspie developer fantasies) that this format was deliberate and not a mistake. Unless it's a cruel experiment. Then I heartily endorse.



  • @jaark said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Of course, what you missed is that this is an American game (set in an American city, and featuring American characters) being delivered by an American company to customers primarily in America.

    of course, what you missed is that it's actually written, designed and devloped in Scotland by (mainly) Scottish developers.

    Rats! Beat me to it! Especially annoying because I live in Edinburgh (not a million miles from Dundee, where Rockstar Games is based, and probably much closer to it than most other posters here).



  •  @Zemm said:

    @da Doctah said:

    When Jesus was in junior high.
     

    What's junior high? When I was 11 I was in grade 6, which is still in primary school. (From 2015 my state is moving grade 7 from primary school to high school)

    When I was 11 I was in 8th grade, which is junior high.  Granted, that's two years before you're supposed to get there, but even if Jesus wasn't identified as gifted (!), he would have been 15 years old in 11 A.D.

     



  • @da Doctah said:

    When I was 11 I was in 8th grade, which is junior high.  Granted, that's two years before you're supposed to get there, but even if Jesus wasn't identified as gifted (!), he would have been 15 years old in 11 A.D.

     

    My understanding is that AD is to signify when Jesus was born (i.e., AD 1 was his birth year). So AD 11 would have been his 10th year of life (since there is no year zero). So says the all-knowing, and always-correct, Wikipedia.



  • @dohpaz42 said:

    @da Doctah said:

    When I was 11 I was in 8th grade, which is junior high.  Granted, that's two years before you're supposed to get there, but even if Jesus wasn't identified as gifted (!), he would have been 15 years old in 11 A.D.

     

    My understanding is that AD is to signify when Jesus was born (i.e., AD 1 was his birth year). So AD 11 would have been his 10th year of life (since there is no year zero). So says the all-knowing, and always-correct, Wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini#Historical_birth_date_of_Jesus


  • @dohpaz42 said:

    My understanding is that AD is to signify when Jesus was born (i.e., AD 1 was his birth year). So AD 11 would have been his 10th year of life (since there is no year zero). So says the all-knowing, and always-correct, Wikipedia.

    Check out Wikipedia for data suggesting that Jesus might have been up to 23 or 24 in 11 AD.



  • @TheCPUWizard said:

    I encrypt the date:    sYDhMmYMsDhm
    LOL. That is all. (And yes, I literally laughed out loud.)



  • So the WTF is that Rockstar is still milking GTA for everything it's worth, right?

    (Also since the trailer is coming out this November they could have omitted the year entirely and just said "November 2nd" or something).



  • @Justice said:

    So the WTF is that Rockstar is still milking GTA for everything it's worth, right?

    (Also since the trailer is coming out this November they could have omitted the year entirely and just said "November 2nd" or something).

    Either that, or the fact that people still give a flying fuck about GTA.

    Also, Anonymouse? Posting a thread disguised as an un-funny WTF, just so you can take a cheap shot at blakey, doesn't make you cool. It does, however, let everyone know you have a small penis.



  • @Anonymouse said:

    @da Doctah said:

    Have we already forgotten Y2K?
    Yes, we have. Because NOTHING HAPPENED!

    Only because a lot of people did a lot of work to fix the problem before it actually hit.  And, in fact, it was actually a very big event, financially speaking.  It's just that the vast majority of the cost happened before the event - which is, oddly enough, like most man-made events.



  • @tgape said:

    @Anonymouse said:

    @da Doctah said:

    Have we already forgotten Y2K?
    Yes, we have. Because NOTHING HAPPENED!

    Only because a lot of people did a lot of work to fix the problem before it actually hit.  And, in fact, it was actually a very big event, financially speaking.  It's just that the vast majority of the cost happened before the event - which is, oddly enough, like most man-made events.

     

    Landsman!

     



  • @dhromed said:

    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    Under this superior system, I am posting at 2008:17:25*11:23:45 which is clearly much easier to read and use than the current system's display time of 25-11-2008 19:07
    Relax. Dude probably just mixed up HH and MM.

    Er, no. I've found the original post (my previous post was of a later partial repost):

    Dear Mr. Admin,

    Please adjust server time to reflect my precise location and when the sun is at highest point overhead from my perspective. Currently, sun is at its highest point for me at GMT - 5 hrs 44 min. Please use this adjustment for my local apparent noon to calculate 00:00 in your server.

    Also, please display all dates/times in the following format for my personal convenience:
    YYYY:HH:DD*MM:mm:ss
    as well as a second readout for
    SS
    underneath

    where YYYY=year, HH=hour in 24 hour format, DD=day of month (1-31), MM=month, mm=minutes, and ss=seconds

    SS=number of seconds since I joined {game}. It should update in real time at least once per minute even if I am idle.

    Under this superior system, I am posting at 2008:17:25*11:23:45 which is clearly much easier to read and use than the current system's display time of 25-11-2008 19:07

    Thank you,
    {name redacted}

    P.S. I am not a crackpot.

    I should also mention that a GreaseMonkey script has been developed to show the game time in this format. There are some crazy people playing that game :)


  • @The_Assimilator said:

    un-funny WTF
    Funnyness is in the eye of the beholder.

    @The_Assimilator said:

    just so you can take a cheap shot at blakey
    I think you have your cause-effect relationship backwards.

    @The_Assimilator said:

    small penis
    arched eybrow ... Oh wow. I am so insulted now, I'd better go kill myself.

     

     



  • @Scarlet Manuka said:

    I've found the original post
     

    wow


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.