Fork Valve

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat the Please Delete My WTDWTF Account thread is :arrows:

• :belt_onion:

@boomzilla said in Fork Valve:

@stillwater said in Fork Valve:

What is it about steam that pisses you off?

Ask him about Steam's font sizes!

0_1527722644555_2RYAd.png

• Grade A Premium Asshole

I see my secret admirer has found this thread. -swoons-

• I'm just waiting for y'all to run out of anger.

Also @Polygeekery what is a chucklefuck?

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat said in Fork Valve:

The mods on this site will move on-topic posts away from Intercourse's threads if he complains, but won't move his shit out of my General Help threads when I complain?

Fuck all y'all.

clickyscollclicky
    Man, the last time that happened was 3 months ago and it got done.

I can't tell how fast it got done because whoever did it didn't close the tickets, but I distinctly remember looking at it and going "ain't nobody got time for 10 flags about the same damn thing."

One or two is plenty. More just creates more clicks at an irritatingly high rate. It's like 7 clicks to go into a flag, self-assign it so nobody else tries to jeff the same shit and breaks the whole damn forum and click through to the thread. Truly terrible UI. And then it's another 7 clicks to close the damn thing out so the next mod along doesn't go wasting their umpty-billion clicks.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@weng said in Fork Valve:

clicks

I see opportunity for improvement. Quick! Someone write up a tracking script so we can measure mod engagement!

• @weng I stopped reporting shit to mods because mods never responded to my reports. So that doesn't mean much. Somehow it wasn't "too many clicks oh man I'm so lazy" when it was MY posts being moved. Why not look at how many mod requests I made that were 100% fucking ignored, or can you not count that high.

The one that intercourse shat all over was completely 100% destroyed before any mod did anything fucking about it (and again I remind: in the topic where that was ACTUALLY A VIOLATION OF FORUM RULES unlike what I did today which was not), I can't find it now because this software is boiled garbage naturally.

Why don't you just fucking admit that you don't give a shit if people are assholes to me, that that's the unofficial forum sport. Anything else is bullshit. I'm not stupid. (OH WAIT here comes 50,327,123 posts saying I am stupid! PILE ON TIME WHEE!)

@stillwater said in Fork Valve:

Also @Polygeekery what is a chucklefuck?

Hell if I know. I make up impromptu insults and they rarely make sense.

Why don't you just fucking admit that you don't give a shit if people are assholes to me, that that's the unofficial forum sport. Anything else is bullshit. I'm not stupid. (OH WAIT here comes 50,327,123 posts saying I am stupid! PILE ON TIME WHEE!)

I sense another rage quit in the works...

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat If you actually want the answer to that question I am going to need to know WTF your UID number is, because that's the only way the UI lets you filter for a specific user, and it sure as fuck isn't in any of the profile screens (not even the profile screens ya'll ain't got). Really. The moderation UI for this thing SUCKS SHIT.

IT'S A FUCKING SPINNER CONTROL WHY WOULD IT BE A SPINNER CONTROL. HAS ANYONE IN THE HISTORY OF COMPUTING EVER ACTUALLY SPUN A SPINNER CONTROL?
    0_1527740329525_99ded154-01e0-43c4-a9da-0008fd76eabc-image.png

• Considered Harmful

Somehow it wasn't "too many clicks oh man I'm so lazy" when it was MY posts being moved.

Well, he literally said he had to go above and beyond flagging. Meanwhile, why couldn't you have done the same thing? I see this a lot with you - when you need to do something, and the way you do that something is supposed to work but doesn't, you mentally file that under 'doesn't work' and move on and don't say anything to anyone. You might say something to us if you experienced it elsewhere, but not because you think anybody here will fix it, just because it'll make us laugh. For example, you had a nice long pent-up rant about how god-awful the 3px-too-thin webpage looked, but why'd it take until something broke hard for you to actually say it?

• Considered Harmful

@weng It's 13, which makes perfect sense.
    To figure it out, right click their profile picture, click Inspect, and it's the data-uid field.

• @pie_flavor said in Fork Valve:

I see this a lot with you - when you need to do something, and the way you do that something is supposed to work but doesn't, you mentally file that under 'doesn't work' and move on and don't say anything to anyone.

So if I do a thing and it doesn't work, I don't do it again because it doesn't work.

Yes obviously I'm a weirdo, aren't I.

@pie_flavor said in Fork Valve:

For example, you had a nice long pent-up rant about how god-awful the 3px-too-thin webpage looked, but why'd it take until something broke hard for you to actually say it?

What are you talking about.

The reason I ranted about that issue is that I thought the shitty mobile view was the only view this website even had due to my window being the "wrong" size the first time I loaded the site1. I literally didn't even find out it had a much better view for desktop users except by accident days later, and I never figured out WHY it switched from one to the other until someone else researched the CSS and explained it to me.

And the "3px" thing was never 3 pixels, because NodeBB is buggy as shit and that width changes due to the browser's zoom level, so since I had my window zoomed-in a couple notches, it wasn't 992 pixels that changed the layout but something like 1400 pixels. Which is wider than a lot of screens, even today you can buy 1366-pixel wide laptops.

Call me a stupid moron idiot dummy stupid idiot moron if you want, but I literally had no idea that NodeBB wasn't as shitty if you made your window wider. How would I have known that? There's nothing on the mobile view to indicate that isn't the only view. And I didn't wait a millisecond, it was like the first thing I posted here after the site switched to NodeBB.

And yeah people were pointing and laughing at me for, I guess, not being telepathic. But that's because people on this forum point and laugh at me for every issue I report, because they're all jerks to me all the time forever. It's great, I love being told how stupid and idiotic and ugly I am.

1. Which, BTW, is why this is a LEVEL 1 SEVERITY THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE kind of bug, because it affects the FIRST-RUN experience of desktop users. Naturally, the NodeBB developers don't give a shit, even though they have no idea how many desktop users are running screaming away from their forum because they got the mobile experience with zero hints or clues on the screen that that's not the only experience.

And yeah people were pointing and laughing at me for, I guess, not being telepathic.

No, we were pointing and laughing at you because after we told you how to fix the issue you were having you proceeded to lose your shit because you wanted the window that exact fucky way and you refused to fix it.

Here's the rub: Only a forum full of trolls like us would put up with your shit, but a forum full of trolls pisses you off to no end. So either stop being a fucking cockhole here and people will treat you better as they treat you in kind, or stop being a fucking cockhole and go somewhere else. Either way, start having a sense of humor because you can be completely insufferable.

Of course, you will go for Option #3 and just keep bitching and pissing and moaning and complaining while you throw a personal pity party.

Which, BTW, is why this is a LEVEL 1 SEVERITY THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE kind of bug, because it affects the FIRST-RUN experience of desktop users. Naturally, the NodeBB developers don't give a shit, even though they have no idea how many desktop users are running screaming away from their forum because they got the mobile experience with zero hints or clues on the screen that that's not the only experience.

All those users that browse the web at 150% zoom and 997px window width?

Yeah, that's just you and issues that impact single users are low priority.

@polygeekery said in Fork Valve:

All those users that browse the web at 150% zoom and 997px window width?

👋 though I will admit my window is indeed much wider.

• BINNED

• Considered Harmful

I see this a lot with you - when you need to do something, and the way you do that something is supposed to work but doesn't, you mentally file that under 'doesn't work' and move on and don't say anything to anyone.

So if I do a thing and it doesn't work, I don't do it again because it doesn't work.

Yes obviously I'm a weirdo, aren't I.

No, I mean you don't complain about it to the people who can actually fix anything. It's the missing-stair mentality - you're so used to shitty software that when you see software being shitty, you decide to accept your fate without pushing farther. Similarly, when reporting didn't work for you, you gave up and nothing got done. When reporting didn't work for @Polygeekery, he DMed the mods and shit actually got done.

For example, you had a nice long pent-up rant about how god-awful the 3px-too-thin webpage looked, but why'd it take until something broke hard for you to actually say it?

What are you talking about.

The reason I ranted about that issue is that I thought the shitty mobile view was the only view this website even had due to my window being the "wrong" size the first time I loaded the site1. I literally didn't even find out it had a much better view for desktop users except by accident days later, and I never figured out WHY it switched from one to the other until someone else researched the CSS and explained it to me.

And the "3px" thing was never 3 pixels, because NodeBB is buggy as shit and that width changes due to the browser's zoom level, so since I had my window zoomed-in a couple notches, it wasn't 992 pixels that changed the layout but something like 1400 pixels. Which is wider than a lot of screens, even today you can buy 1366-pixel wide laptops.

Call me a stupid moron idiot dummy stupid idiot moron if you want, but I literally had no idea that NodeBB wasn't as shitty if you made your window wider. How would I have known that? There's nothing on the mobile view to indicate that isn't the only view. And I didn't wait a millisecond, it was like the first thing I posted here after the site switched to NodeBB.

And yeah people were pointing and laughing at me for, I guess, not being telepathic. But that's because people on this forum point and laugh at me for every issue I report, because they're all jerks to me all the time forever. It's great, I love being told how stupid and idiotic and ugly I am.

As usual, you portray yourself as a stupid moron idiot dummy stupid idiot moron not by your actions, but by your refusal to interpret anyone's correct and constructive criticisms as anything other than calling you a stupid moron idiot dummy stupid idiot moron. What I am referring to is the fact that you did not say anything. If I saw an interface clearly optimized for mobile that absolutely sucked, I would make a thread about it. And you found some incredibly stupid software, masquerading as a forum for pointing out incredibly stupid software, and sat on it until someone else told you it sucked too.

1. Which, BTW, is why this is a LEVEL 1 SEVERITY THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE kind of bug, because it affects the FIRST-RUN experience of desktop users. Naturally, the NodeBB developers don't give a shit, even though they have no idea how many desktop users are running screaming away from their forum because they got the mobile experience with zero hints or clues on the screen that that's not the only experience.

I will guarantee you that there is not one other person who used the NodeBB version of WTDWTF that browsed with the window sideways-maximized and 150% zoomed.
    Not saying you're wrong that it's retarded, just saying that you're wrong that anyone else would have noticed.
    (You don't want to know what it looks like without that zoom. (I didn't intentionally put that picture there. I just side-maximized it and that's what appeared. I think Windows is trying to tell me something.))

• Fake News

@polygeekery said in Fork Valve:

I make up impromptu insults and they rarely make sense.

• Fake News

@tsaukpaetra said in Fork Valve:

my window is indeed much wider

Ob :giggity:

• Considered Harmful

This post is deleted!

• @weng said in Fork Valve:

@blakeyrat If you actually want the answer to that question I am going to need to know WTF your UID number is, because that's the only way the UI lets you filter for a specific user, and it sure as fuck isn't in any of the profile screens (not even the profile screens ya'll ain't got). Really. The moderation UI for this thing SUCKS SHIT.

IT'S A FUCKING SPINNER CONTROL WHY WOULD IT BE A SPINNER CONTROL. HAS ANYONE IN THE HISTORY OF COMPUTING EVER ACTUALLY SPUN A SPINNER CONTROL?

I mean, to be fair, it's not like his user ID is in the 140 thousands.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/flags?reporterId=13

• @pie_flavor said in Fork Valve:

I will guarantee you that there is not one other person who used the NodeBB version of WTDWTF that browsed with the window sideways-maximized and 150% zoomed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sideways-maximized" but for months I did browse TDWTF with a full screen window and a zoom factor of 150% or so, because of tiny text on my laptop screen and too much whitespace around it. It also took me months to understand why my composer did not look the same way as it did on the other computer that I use from time to time (with a physically larger screen, so less zoom) (I thought that other computer was the weird one, since I saw the same layout on my tablet as on my laptop, so I assumed that was the only layout).

So, really, I could have been in the same place as @blakeyrat here. I didn't find the first contact with NodeBB as awful as he did (and I don't react the same way as he does to shitty stuff) so I didn't say anything, but I definitely saw the same thing.

• @remi said in Fork Valve:

because of tiny text on my laptop screen

You know you can set a minimum font size in your browser?

• @timebandit said in Fork Valve:

Or you could use the zoom feature!

But apparently if you do that you're a dumb Blakeyrat piece of human garbage.

• @blakeyrat said in Fork Valve:

Or you could use the zoom feature!

Or you could attach a giant magnifying glass in front of your monitor 🙄

Setting a minimum font size doesn't doesn't zoom images, etc

Don't put words in my mouth, please

@remi said in Fork Valve:

because of tiny text on my laptop screen

Like @blakeyrat said, there is also a zoom feature. It works correctly (or at least gave all the signs that it did). Why should I not use it?

I can't say as much of minimum font size, last time I tried it many websites either ignored it (I guess due to some JS wankery), or that royally fucked the layout. Granted, that was years ago, but since at the same time I found out about zooming and that one worked as close to perfectly as I can see, why shouldn't I use it, especially when there is no clue that it was actually doing some unintended stuff (again, like blakey said, you get the mobile layout without any hint that it's a mobile layout and not just The One Layout, so why would I ever think that what I saw wasn't really what I should?).

Setting a minimum font size doesn't doesn't zoom images, etc

Which is actually a Bad Thing when the issue is that stuff is too small on a screen. If text is too small and I can't read it, then avatars (that are about 2-3 lines of text high) are also going to be too small to be recognizable. Meme pictures with text on them are also going to be unreadable.

So thank you for actually showing that zoom was the correct feature to use in my case, and not minimum font size.

• @remi You know the worst thing is I bet there's dozens of people on this forum who had the exact same problem, they just won't admit to it because they'd feel stupid expressing it.

Since demonstrably this community is so fucking toxic and awful, I don't blame them.

But for the record: bugs are always the developers' fault, never the user's fault.

• ♿ (Parody)

Did you move to Silicon Valley and not tell us?

• Garbage Person

@ben_lubar said in Fork Valve:

I mean, to be fair, it's not like his user ID is in the 140 thousands.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/flags?reporterId=13

The problem isn't how big it is, it's getting it at all.

The profile URL has the name in it, not ID. Have to dig in the frigging HTML.

Which is sooo not happening on a mobile browser.

• @weng I mean it's not like they already have a chat system where you can search for people by name. That'd just be silly if it existed but they still used a spinbox.

• @blakeyrat said in Fork Valve:

It's legit advice. From a person who's trying to be an entrepreneur.

I'm trying to sell a product, make them money. They tell me it takes 2-3 business days to "approve" my store page. It's been 2 months instead, no communication from them. Also no communication from my support ticket.

Fuck Valve.

Hmm, guess I'd better have a plan B once my project is ready. I wonder if GOG is expedient in their review processes? Everyone always seems to praise GOG as the anti-Steam.

• Considered Harmful

@remi said in Fork Valve:

I'm not sure what you mean by "sideways-maximized" but for months I did browse TDWTF with a full screen window and a zoom factor of 150% or so, because of tiny text on my laptop screen and too much whitespace around it. It also took me months to understand why my composer did not look the same way as it did on the other computer that I use from time to time (with a physically larger screen, so less zoom) (I thought that other computer was the weird one, since I saw the same layout on my tablet as on my laptop, so I assumed that was the only layout).

So, really, I could have been in the same place as @blakeyrat here. I didn't find the first contact with NodeBB as awful as he did (and I don't react the same way as he does to shitty stuff) so I didn't say anything, but I definitely saw the same thing.

Sideways-maximized is when you drag the bar to the side of your screen and it expands it to fill half your screen. Win10 also asks you what window you want to fill the other half. Not to be confused with regular maximized.

• Considered Harmful

@remi You know the worst thing is I bet there's dozens of people on this forum who had the exact same problem, they just won't admit to it because they'd feel stupid expressing it.

Projection at its finest.

• :belt_onion:

Sideways-maximized is when you drag the bar to the side of your screen and it expands it to fill half your screen. Win10 also asks you what window you want to fill the other half. Not to be confused with regular maximized.

Since Windows 7 introduced Aero Snap I've had no idea how I'd gone through my life without it.

• BINNED

Ask browser and/or UI widget makers. That's what browsers do to your inputs if you dare to declare them to be a number instead of text. I hate that shit too.

• Considered Harmful

Despite the fact that I think Blakey's an idiot, there is one part of Steam that has always rankled my cankles. If you block all communication with someone, that doesn't automatically unfriend them. And so they can continue to cause message notifications to pop up, and add new items to your notification box in Steam. I opened mine today - 47 unread. I click it, and it says that in order to view them I must unblock this user. What in the fuck is the point of that? You can't even unfriend them from the friends list - you have to go to their profile, open the drop-down, and remove friend from there. It's the exact opposite of what I want from a 'block all communication' option.

• 47 unread

Those weren't from me, right? I know I've been running Hypatia a lot more because we're preparing to release, but I didn't think that would generate a notification...

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra Messages. 47 unread messages. (There's a reason I blocked this user.) 'Now playing' notifications don't get collected, just messages, comments, new inventory items, invites, and gifts.

@tsaukpaetra Messages. 47 unread messages. (There's a reason I blocked this user.) 'Now playing' notifications don't get collected, just messages, comments, new inventory items, invites, and gifts.

Ah. Well I don't get any of those since I don't play games I guess...

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra there are game developers who don't play games?

@tsaukpaetra there are game developers who don't play games?

Other games, perhaps? I dunno, most of my "me" time is spent not doing things.