Aspie Quiz

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Tsaukpaetra said in Aspie Quiz:

I apologized, @blakeyrat!

:doing_it_wrong:

• ♿ (Parody)

@Fox said in Aspie Quiz:

Calling autistic people "broken" is a drastic oversimplification, which is rather insulting to autistic people who are okay with how they are.

Wooo! feelz > reelz!

It's not really that much of a simplification. People with allergies are kind of broken, too. Obviously, so are deaf people, even if a lot of them are very touchy about it.

• Notification Spam Recipient

they didn't want to

0_1475527452242_upload-610d7f89-ab49-4063-97bd-dd605465d4da

I'm afraid I'm misinterpreting this too...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@boomzilla said in Aspie Quiz:

People with allergies are kind of broken, too. Obviously, so are deaf people, even if a lot of them are very touchy about it.

Way to ignore fully half of my point. Asshole.

0_1475527518763_upload-9ec6d61f-0ef6-43d5-afe9-cd09b7ad8d9f

I believe the answer is technically yes... Does it count if your so-called imaginary friends were actually yourself?

• Impossible Mission - B

@anotherusername said in Aspie Quiz:

I'm pretty sure that by "different way" it means something like "five, fifty-five, twelve twenty-three" instead of "five, five, five, one, two, two, three".

In the USA, all phone numbers [or at least the local part thereof] have seven digits. This is not the case in Argentina, where a local phone number can have 6, 7, or 8 digits, depending on how big of a population center you're in. Most places are six-digit areas, and it's common to speak a phone number as three two-digit numbers.

One time, when I was hanging out with a bunch of people, about half of whom were local and the other half were from the US, I had to get going to make it to an appointment. We were off near the edge of town, so I asked if anyone had a number for a taxi.

Immediately 3 or 4 people all started calling out rapid sequences of 2-digit numbers, speaking over the top of each other. There was a bit of a surreal quality to it, and I said the first thing that came to mind: "Hut! Hut! Hike!"

In what seems to me to have been an unintentional example of the no soap radio effect, all of the people from the US cracked up laughing... and then a few moments later, so did the locals, once they realized a joke had been made, even though they clearly didn't understand what the joke was.

Does it count if your so-called imaginary friends were actually yourself?

I think so, since technically they always are.

• ♿ (Parody)

This is 2016 guys, nobody knows phone numbers anymore!

This one is my favorite:

https://youtu.be/Bjqj50_BkBc

Dos veintidos veintidos veintidos!

Finally finished, my introspection needs work it seems...

0_1475527658791_upload-6cbc63c9-6fa9-4be7-8726-6d6420893f4f

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 79 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 95 of 200
    You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

So I must be mostly normalized? I'm both different and the same all at once!

FML. Should have expected that, to be honest...

Edit: Details for those that are interested:
    quiz.pdf

• ♿ (Parody)

@Fox said in Aspie Quiz:

People with allergies are kind of broken, too. Obviously, so are deaf people, even if a lot of them are very touchy about it.

Way to ignore fully half of my point. Asshole.

Not responding to it is not ignoring id. Dickhead.

Finally finished, my introspection needs work it seems...

0_1475527658791_upload-6cbc63c9-6fa9-4be7-8726-6d6420893f4f

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 79 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 95 of 200

FML. Should have expected that, to be honest...

Edit: Details for those that are interested:
    quiz.pdf

You're extra neurodiverse because your diversity also includes neurotypical traits! *high-five*

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Aspie Quiz:

they didn't want to

So, should the test just end with a question asking if you understood the test, and if you say no, it just marks you max diverse...

@xaade said in Aspie Quiz:

they didn't want to

So, should the test just end with a question asking if you understood the test, and if you say no, it just marks you max diverse...

Hey, I can pass the Turing Test (probably, nobody seems to be running them anymore)! That's all I cared about! ;)

• I failed the reverse Turing test.

A robot thought I was a robot.

I failed the reverse Turing test.

You have me fooled.

Filed under: I mean....

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Aspie Quiz:

@The_Quiet_One said in Aspie Quiz:

That's what the "?" is for.

... Serves me right for not reading the instructions carefully. I assumed it meant unanswered, need to make a selection, but they didn't want to default to "no" for everything...

Yeah, that's why I wrote a quick JS oneliner to [...document.querySelectorAll('input[value="0"][checked]')].forEach(e => e.removeAttribute('checked')); before I started (well, actually it was after the 4th or 5th question).

(note that only removes the checked from the ? radio buttons, so if you've already filled in a few 1, 2, or 3 options, it won't clear those.)

You missed the opportunity to draw a Staryu.

@asdf said in Aspie Quiz:

You missed the opportunity to draw a Staryu.

It was a failed Ditto transform attempt.

• @xaade said in Aspie Quiz:

I failed the reverse Turing test.

A skill that might come in handy in a couple of decades.

• @Yamikuronue said in Aspie Quiz:

@Jaloopa Haha, that sounds more like ADD*

* I am not a doctor

A lot of Aspies have ADD. IANAD, but doctors ask me if I am, FWIW.

Jeffing target for aspie quiz takers, because NodeBB can't manage to fork a post before our watchdog process kills it for cooties.

The actual quiz is here:

For reference (to explain the initial exchanges) @Fox posted his results in the status thread but didn't explain what the quiz was.

0_1475539301878_poly10a.png

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 90 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 126 of 200
    You are very likely neurotypical

Funny enough, I have a diagnosis of Asperger's from my early 20s, and I'm not convinced it's wrong. I'm pretty sure I've had very different layouts when I've taken this in the past, so it probably also depends strongly on my moods.

Not that I think this test is scientifically or statistically valid in the first place. The author has a theory, which is theirs, which the test appears to be based around.

In fact, one day I lost all depth perception completely. It took me a while to figure out what was so odd.

I often play around with it. Repeating patterns of a certain size can be used to trick your brain into thinking things are in focus when they're actually overlapped, screwing with how far away your brain thinks it is. This is the same principle behind the magic eye pictures.

@Yamikuronue
    In that example, I already have an image of how they connect.

Ditto.

@Yamikuronue said in Aspie Quiz:

I need to see landmarks to understand how and where I am. My husband can do that intuitively.

My wife and I are similar to that. She is all about the landmarks. I have a very strong topological understanding of roads. Which means that I tend to get around just fine but the map in my head doesn't look much like a physical map.

I use both, but I also do a lot of mental recreation which is helped by that. Instead of necessarily remember the whole route and layout, I remember connections, elements, and relations, and recreate what I need from that. Approximately. I use a lot of different techniques without thinking about it, actually, but a lot of it orients around having enough info to recreate/figure out what I don't. Rote memorization is not my favorite style..

@Jaloopa Well, I have a problem, which I'm sure is in my language processor not my ear.

Take a left at {location}, then a right at {location}, you'll see a whumlraly at rfroomlrohu, ...

what... ? wtf?
    a minute of trying to figure out what that was

and then it's at the end of that road.

I think I know what you mean. You can hear the sounds just fine, but they don't get interpreted into words, right?

You ever notice when you're starting to fall asleep, and your brain turns off sound?

You'll know because it's not a sense of quiet, it's a sense of void.

It's hard to catch. You have to be going in and out of sleep.

That happens halfway when I'm listening to people talk.

Okay, maybe not...I guess my particular problem is a little further up the chain. (Although I do this too, when I distract myself thinking about something else - but that's just bad management of selective attention. Although not when I'm sleeping or falling asleep.).

@masonwheeler said in Aspie Quiz:

@Jaloopa said in Aspie Quiz:

I have trouble because people start with "take a left at {landmark}", and I'm like "yeah, I know that. I can probably stop listening at this point, surely it will all be that simple. This person's voice sounds a bit like that actor, who am I thinking of?..."

You know what drives me up the wall?

When I ask someone for an address, and they start giving me directions. And then I say "I have a GPS. What's the address?" And then they continue giving me freaking directions! :doing_it_wrong: :doing_it_wrong: :doing_it_wrong:

I encounter this legitimately. My job often has us going to newly built homes, so we end up with either "Google Maps/Mapquest will be wrong" or "it's not on Google Maps/Mapquest yet". Even my current address doesn't show up in the right place on Google Maps.

@Fox said in Aspie Quiz:

It's not - they're relatedreflected across the vertical midline, not directly across the center of the whole graph.

FTFY.

trans-cranial magnetic stimulation

creates very real, well-documented effects, such as causing the behavior of autistic children to revert to neurotypical. For about five minutes.

Hm. That's interesting.

@Zecc said in Aspie Quiz:

If you think you're weird, you're going to be more weird.

My favorite comic series with way too many words 👍

@Zecc said in Aspie Quiz:

I'm the guy in panels 3 and 11, sometimes the one in panel 6.

I'm neurotypical, btw. I just forgot to take a screenshot or save the link before closing the private tab, and no way I'm doing that again.

Same panels, not neurotypical.

@asdf said in Aspie Quiz:

I guess they're trying to tell me that I have no intellectual skills and am not an aspie, but very bad at being neurotypical? I feel insulted.

I guess that's why they call you the Train Man? :rimshot:
    That was so forced I'm afraid I ripped something.

they didn't want to

Hey, I can pass the Turing Test (probably, nobody seems to be running them anymore)! That's all I cared about! ;)

This forum is the extended Turing test. You're still being evaluated. 📋

• @The_Quiet_One said in Aspie Quiz:

@The_Quiet_One

Pretty sure my oddities are not psychosomatic.

I've tried pretty hard to be different.

I'm not saying this about everyone, just certain people. I suspect if, at age 10, I was diagnosed with autism or aspergers, even if it were mild, because I answered a test like this differently than I did today, I'd probably carry that label with me into adulthood and have been a different person today.

I came from a childhood where because I had an imagination and couldn't sit still for 6 hours a day while teachers droned on about stuff I only gave 1.58 shits about, they did diagnose me with ADD.

I've also wondered if you put a person of above-average intelligence under the authority of a person with average intelligence, if the person in authority will be more likely to be critical (e.g. diagnose them with psychiatric and/or behavioral problems) of the person with above-average intelligence. This sort of thing seems to happen fairly often in public schools.

@Fox said in Aspie Quiz:

neurotypical is good (blue) and being neurodiverse is bad (red).

🤷

In China, red is good, and blue is bad.

In the U.S. it is too. Red states are better than blue states.

• @Fox said in Aspie Quiz:

@Maciejasjmj said in Aspie Quiz:

The other has pejorative connotations - a typical person is boring and uninteresting, a typical choice is one that doesn't express individuality, a typical group is one that has no identity on its own.

Except a typical person is normal, average, healthy. They're both being used with positive connotations here.

If you call a person who's below average normal, you are complimenting them. If you call a superior person normal, you are insulting them.

• @Dreikin said in Aspie Quiz:

I think I know what you mean. You can hear the sounds just fine, but they don't get interpreted into words, right?

Yes.

@Dreikin said in Aspie Quiz:

Okay, maybe not...

No, it's just that, it's the best way I can interpret what happens for other people.

It's like the sound is muffled, but not muffled, ignored by my brain, and therefore not a word.

Yes.

Okay, maybe not...

No, it's just that, it's the best way I can interpret what happens for other people.

It's like the sound is muffled, but not muffled, ignored by my brain, and therefore not a word.

Aha. Yeah, that happens to me as well. Although I'd describe it more like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

When someone is talking to me about something I'm really not interested in, there's a part of my brain when, when she stops and asks, "Are you listening to me?" can replay verbatim what she just said, but no verbal processing of the actual content occurs until the need to replay it refocuses my attention.

• I was professionally diagnosed with both ADHD and Asperger's (when it was still a thing).

This is from when I originally took the quiz in 2010:

Your Aspie score: 159 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
    You are very likely an Aspie
    Your MBTI type: ISTP
    0_1475550900069_upload-03cb9606-679b-467e-89ae-a6c57d74499d

It's been 6 years and I'm now 21, so let's see how things are in 2016:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 85 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 112 of 200
    0_1475552391868_upload-f9ffa7cd-1be0-4bbc-b0db-3049f9a5fc45

So this confirms that I have been making great strides in changing my behavior. It has taken years of practice and experience. Before that 2010 quiz it was a lot worse.

0_1475539301878_poly10a.png

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 90 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 126 of 200
    You are very likely neurotypical

Funny enough, I have a diagnosis of Asperger's from my early 20s, and I'm not convinced it's wrong. I'm pretty sure I've had very different layouts when I've taken this in the past, so it probably also depends strongly on my moods.

@LB_ said in Aspie Quiz:

I was professionally diagnosed with both ADHD and Asperger's (when it was still a thing).
    […]
    It's been 6 years and I'm now 21, so let's see how things are in 2016:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 85 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 112 of 200
    0_1475552391868_upload-f9ffa7cd-1be0-4bbc-b0db-3049f9a5fc45

So this confirms that I have been making great strides in changing my behavior. It has taken years of practice and experience. Before that 2010 quiz it was a lot worse.

Interesting. We're both diagnosed, both show similar graphs on the current version, and our past versions have looked different from current.

Anecdata!

• BINNED

think that can be true for many children. I know this is not a scientific test or anything but it makes me wonder if some kids are getting prematurely diagnosed before they've fully developed,

Very likely. As a kid (till around 16) I used to count fucking everything and anything. From trees, to tiles, to my own movements. Everything had to be a multiple of 8. I also counted how many times I stepped in/out of the shadows, or on the tiles, and that must be 8N too. It was painful. Then I forced myself to change that to 7 which I hated (still do), and then randomized it to 7 or 8, then I was cured :--) Took quite some time though.

• Garbage Person

The interesting thing is that a lot of my answers have changed in recent years.

As of today:
    0_1475554745135_upload-6f68ff19-3b25-4544-9f40-c7323d9c102f
    Uh excuse me. Nodbaby. The chart in the preview has nothing to do with the one on the page.

Edit: Thar. Fixed it. Had to rehost the image because raisins.

Anyway, I am apparently normaler than expected. Except I am weird about women and inexplicably good at shit. No surprises there.

I should go back and do it again for college Weng. I can tell you pretty much for sure that the big divot in neurodiverse Social would pop out and hang with the relationship peak. I have made a concerted effort to be less... Weird.

• BINNED

I saw a presentation a few weeks ago of some very interesting technology.

The underlying idea is called TCMS: trans-cranial magnetic stimulation. Most people here probably have never heard of that, but are intelligent enough to figure out what it is just from the name, because it's exactly what it sounds like: you stick a really powerful electromagnet up against someone's skull, over a specific portion of the brain, and you turn it on so that it will stimulate brainwave activity. It's been in use for decades and is fairly well-understood in the medical community, and is generally known to be a safe treatment, though it does cause seizures in a very small percentage of patients. But it also creates very real, well-documented effects, such as causing the behavior of autistic children to revert to neurotypical. For about five minutes.

Anyway, the guy who was presenting this talked about how these researchers in California have worked on refining the technology. First, they use an EEG to scan a person and determine their brainwave type. (Yeah, distinctive human brainwave types are a thing, sort of like eye colors or blood types.) They match it against a database of neurotypical brainwave patterns, then take the difference between the two waves. What's left is "problem" brainwaves.

They have a computer controlling TCMS electrodes, and they feed it a precise inverse of the problem brainwaves to try to cancel them out--the presenter used the analogy of noise-canceling headphones--so that what's left is the optimum neurotypical pattern for your brainwave type.

Apparently it's had some really surprising amounts of success at training brains to work on a more optimal pattern, and actually working long-term. They've used the technology to help autistic kids come out of their shell and relate to their family and others around them normally, they've used it to help soldiers with PTSD get back to normal, (apparently it can smooth out the brain waves responsible for "hypervigilance," the medical term for the paranoia typical of PTSD,) and they even helped this one Japanese car accident victim come out of a coma that the doctors said was terminal.

It's very interesting stuff, and worth watching out for in the future, IMO.

EEG signals are extremely noisy because they are very weak (specially from skull without gel and without shaving the head). Also trying to make sense of neural activities from few electrodes is like trying to listen to individuals in a stadium, you can kind hear them cheering. This whole technology has a Tesla-machine ring into it, i.e. you have to wait 50 more years to do anything that is not just hilariously crazy with the technology.

@dse said in Aspie Quiz:

EEG signals are extremely noisy because they are very weak (specially from skull without gel and without shaving the head). Also trying to make sense of neural activities from few electrodes is like trying to listen to individuals in a stadium, you can kind hear them cheering. This whole technology has a Tesla-machine ring into it, i.e. you have to wait 50 more years to do anything that is not just hilariously crazy with the technology.

Actually, there are currently some applications for it:

https://neurostar.com/neurostar-tms-depression-treatment/

http://www.eneura.com/tms.html

I'm not sure how good they are, but, yeah.

Also, if you think EEG's are noisy, you should see the hoops they have to jump through for an MEG. I'm fairly certain that it is the single most expensive piece of medical equipment we have, coming in at approximately $2 million.

• BTW, does anyone know what having a bad fur day has to do with Aspergers?

0_1475564030080_Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 08.51.02.png

• > Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 84 of 200 > Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 133 of 200 > You are very likely neurotypical

Huh, I could have sworn I had some Aspie tendencies. Though, given how some of the questions brought back quite a few childhood memories, I wonder how I would have scored then.

Do you have a fascination for slowly flowing water?

When I was in elementary school, whenever a hose or sprinklers would create runoff along the curb, I'd often follow the leading edge down the block, absolutely fascinated in how it would weave around cracks, leaves, and sticks.

In conversations, do you use small sounds that others don't seem to use?

Elementary school, again. I had weekly speech therapy sessions for exactly this reason.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said in Aspie Quiz:

BTW, does anyone know what having a bad fur day has to do with Aspergers?

0_1475564030080_Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 08.51.02.png

I assumed genetic marker?

@dse said in Aspie Quiz:

As a kid (till around 16) I used to count fucking everything and anything. From trees, to tiles, to my own movements. Everything had to be a multiple of 8. I also counted how many times I stepped in/out of the shadows, or on the tiles, and that must be 8N too. It was painful.

Me too. 🖐 I also got angry if I saw a digital clock and couldn't turn the time into an equation by inserting operators. And I would refuse to talk to strangers or talk to anyone on the phone.

I was a very weird kid.

I was wondering the same. Maybe aspies don't care/think about their own appearance as much as other people do? There was another question about that in the quiz.

@MZH said in Aspie Quiz:

Elementary school, again. I had weekly speech therapy sessions

Oh God, don't remind me of that particular childhood trauma.

At least it made me lose my lisp, but I'm still extremely bad at talking/pronouncing words clearly.

• @aliceif said in Aspie Quiz:

This quiz is stupid and so are pretty much almost all other ones like it

Which is why a proper assessment is done by a professional, not an online quiz. Still, on the whole, it's probably a bit more accurate than the average magazine quiz ("what type of beach-goer are you?" and other nonsense...).

I suspect if, at age 10, I was diagnosed with autism or aspergers, even if it were mild, because I answered a test like this differently than I did today, I'd probably carry that label with me into adulthood and have been a different person today.

I think that, again, professionals know it and would take it into account when assessing a child, and might not classify a child as Asperger too quickly, or just suggest to the parents to pay attention to some traits, or to make sure to put/not put the child in certain situations to help learning how to behave, without having an Asperger/autism label on it -- kind of like when my brother had a knee problem while growing up and the doctor basically just said "don't do any sports for a year": he didn't diagnose one specific disease that my brother would still be suffering of now (even if he did give a name to the problem at the time), but gave something to watch out for until the right conditions righted the problem naturally.

But I agree with you, although what I've read and anecdotal examples in this thread seem to indicate that a diagnostic in a child can help them overcome it early, at an age where the mind is more flexible and it's easier to learn new behaviours. Of course, one can only guess what having that label would have changed in your mind, but I think that in terms of actual behaviour, the end result might not have been so different.

• @asdf said in Aspie Quiz:

I was wondering the same. Maybe aspies don't care/think about their own appearance as much as other people do? There was another question about that in the quiz.

There was indeed another question about your apperance as you perceicve it. But this one stands out since it describes an absolute physical trait.

Also: Whose hair do not stand up when short (enough)?

• @boomzilla said in Aspie Quiz:

So many questions I answered with a one! Like..."Yeah, I've done that at least enough to not want to say 'never.'"

This. "Sometimes" covers a vast array.

Dammit: I hate when tests rely on you having had interpersonal relationships with others!

Being in a stable relationship makes these questions just as bad, believe me.

"Do you tend to develop romantic feelings for people that persistently shows interest for you?"
    Well, I did for my wife. If anyone else did persistently show interest, I'd have to shut them down. So yes and no?

"Have you experienced stronger than normal attachments to certain people?"
    Well, I'm attached enough to my wife that we've been married for almost 20 years, does that count? I'm also pretty damn attached to my kids. What do you mean by "normal" in this context?

Also: "Is it hard for you to approach somebody you are attracted to?" Well, yes, unless you're talking about my wife, but then it's hard for me to approach anybody I don't know well...

• ♿ (Parody)

@Scarlet_Manuka said in Aspie Quiz:

"Have you experienced stronger than normal attachments to certain people?"
    Well, I'm attached enough to my wife that we've been married for almost 20 years, does that count? I'm also pretty damn attached to my kids. What do you mean by "normal" in this context?

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to answer this question either.

• Impossible Mission - B

@dse said in Aspie Quiz:

EEG signals are extremely noisy because they are very weak (specially from skull without gel and without shaving the head). Also trying to make sense of neural activities from few electrodes is like trying to listen to individuals in a stadium, you can kind hear them cheering.

The presenter didn't go into too much detail about how the EEG readings are performed, but he did say that out of the people who the EEG determines can be helped (people whose brainwave patterns are significantly off optimum), it ends up really helping approximately 80% of them.

This whole technology has a Tesla-machine ring into it, i.e. you have to wait 50 more years to do anything that is not just hilariously crazy with the technology.

TCMS is something that's been around for decades and has been extensively studied. Not sure if it's been 50 years, but it's been quite a while. As with so many other things, the future is starting to arrive in the modern day!

• @Dreikin said in Aspie Quiz:

Interesting. We're both diagnosed, both show similar graphs on the current version, and our past versions have looked different from current.

Anecdata!

From the legend text of the charts, I think the older version emphasize on the behaviour and the newer one emphasize on cognitive functions. Maybe that is the reason. (Similar to "sickness vs symptoms" difference)

• 0_1475580833588_upload-90000f0e-c221-4db7-9451-fdd88206242d

neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 132 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200
    You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

My family sometimes calls me Sheldon and refers to my Sheldon chair.

• TIL: those fucking moronic charts are A Thing.

Not only that, but Excel can make their most meaningless feature (the connecting lines) stand out even more using a pseudo-3D fill.

My Tufte, my Tufte, why hast thou forsaken me?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@flabdablet said in Aspie Quiz:

The relative position and angle of the axes is typically uninformative.

Wikipedia's onebox seems surprisingly accurate

• Garbage Person

@flabdablet Radar charts: For when you should really just have a bunch of linear gauges/thermometers but just want to look unnecessarily complicated.

I like them for systems dashboards. Makes uninformed people assume they can't make any sense of what's happening - which is good, because they can't.

• @Mikael_Svahnberg I have three crowns and it seems to be a suspicious trait or so I've heard. Not sure how true it is.