Deus EX: MD

• Considered Harmful

@Magus said in Deus EX: MD:

@lucas1 Shh, Yami might show up and make gross generalizations, painting you in the worst possible light, and then mute this thread!

@lucas1 said in Deus EX: MD:

I think the Yami won't do that

Why? That's her MO.

Did I miss something?

• @error If someone somewhere here says that someone is being dumb and calling something that isn't discrimination discrimination,Yami shows up, calls everyone gamergate, tells them they harass people, tells them they aren't capable of real discussion, and tells them that since she's better than such a discussion, she's muting the thread.

It happens every time. I was preempting it so it wouldn't happen here too. Ideally she's already ignored this thread and we can just talk about the game.

• kills Dumbledore

It happens every time that I notice it happening

There are a handful of times when she's pointed out how nasty certain segments of the forum can get. If you happen to be involved in all of them then 🤷

• Considered Harmful

@lucas1 said in Deus EX: MD:

HR didn't make you do shit like never asked for this.

DETFY

Filed under: I think this will never get old.

• @Jaloopa said in Deus EX: MD:

There are a handful of times when she's pointed out how nasty certain segments of the forum can get.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about when people say, 'No, it does not appear to work the way you're saying it works.' and get a response about how horrible certain people here can apparently get, and told everyone here is ignoring real issues.

She is seriously the most bigoted member of this forum, and runs away crying that she's being attacked when she's called out on it. I'm frankly perfectly happy not to discuss social issues with her, because she is neither coherent, intellectually honest, nor empathetic.

Maybe you think I'm being mean-spirited here: what I hate more than anything is being falsely represented, and that's all she does in any discussion on these issues. I get attached to a group she hates and equated with its worst members simply for disagreeing with her.

I refuse. She can GTFO threads that touch on social issues. It's not like she'll stay around anyway, if someone says she's wrongviolently harasses her.

• Fake News

@error said in Deus EX: MD:

I think I already figured out how to cheese the AI on a stealth/pacifist run.

Throw object at wall, wait for dumbass to investigate, hit on head, drag to pile, rinse, repeat.

The Splinter Cell player in me (well, at least the early games) is happy to hear that. You can never have enough body piles.

• Considered Harmful

She is seriously the most bigoted member of this forum, and runs away crying that she's being attacked when she's called out on it. I'm frankly perfectly happy not to discuss social issues with her, because she is neither coherent, intellectually honest, nor empathetic.

Maybe you think I'm being mean-spirited here: what I hate more than anything is being falsely represented, and that's all she does in any discussion on these issues. I get attached to a group she hates and equated with its worst members simply for disagreeing with her.

I think a citation or two would help establish your credibility here. All of my interactions with Yami thus far have been rational and amicable.

• Considered Harmful

@JBert said in Deus EX: MD:

I think I already figured out how to cheese the AI on a stealth/pacifist run.

Throw object at wall, wait for dumbass to investigate, hit on head, drag to pile, rinse, repeat.

The Splinter Cell player in me (well, at least the early games) is happy to hear that. You can never have enough body piles.

On Hitman: Blood Money I just posted up in a sniper spot and this happened:

Shoot a guy in the head.

👨 Hey! Are you OK? walks over to inspect body

Shoot him in the head.

👱🏻 Hey! Are you OK? walks over to inspect body

Shoot him in the head.

👱🏽 Hey! Are you OK? walks over to inspect body

Shoot him in the head.

(Of course later I had to do a Silent Assassin run and couldn't kill non-targets, and all deaths needed to be "accidents." Much more engaging.)

• @error said in Deus EX: MD:

All of my interactions with Yami thus far have been rational and amicable.

Then you have avoided social issues, which is where this happens. The rest of the time she's fine. She obviously cares a lot about social issues, but she's fox-level ssume-the-worst-of-anyone-who-doesn't-agree.

• Considered Harmful

For MD, the enemy vision cones on the radar are a little too helpful; and they're available on all difficulties.

I guess there might be an option to turn them off, but I'm not going to voluntarily cripple myself in a way that the game won't recognize or reward me for.

Edit: Also, you can save scum to your heart's content; didn't HR have like a checkpoint system? I don't recall having that power. (It was a while ago.)

Filed under: Gamification in our videogames.

Edit: Also, you can save scum to your heart's content; didn't HR have like a checkpoint system? I don't recall having that power. (It was a while ago.)

All of this is the case. I quite like it.

• Garbage Person

@error I, too, am scratching my head.

• Garbage Person

@Magus We discuss social issues outside guacamole?

• Considered Harmful

@Weng said in Deus EX: MD:

@error I, too, am scratching my head.

• @Weng said in Deus EX: MD:

We discuss social issues outside guacamole?

Sure, in the 'only black people can call their hair natural' thread, for instance. Which is an identical problem to the 'Aug Lives Matter' issue with this game.

I think a citation or two would help establish your credibility here. All of my interactions with Yami thus far have been rational and amicable.

Not to mention that carrying out a rather nasty character assassination without the common courtesy of @mentioning the other party is, in my book, total cunt behaviour.

Whispering behind people's backs. Only nasty vicious little cunts do that.

• @tufty said in Deus EX: MD:

Whispering behind people's backs. Only nasty vicious little cunts do that.

I don't care. I will behave in this extremely hostile manner in this situation because I'm tired of being on the other end of it.

The goal was to strike first, decisively, so I wouldn't have to keep thinking about horrible bigotry and we could talk about the game, but you guys keep asking me about this.

I want to be able to say 'yeah, they use "aug lives matter" in this game' without someone running in and calling me a racist for playing it. And if it takes unkindness to get there, unkindness will be my tool. Specific, targeted unkindness. Not general 'if you ever play this game you are automatically a horrible person' evil. It has happened far too many times now, and I'm done with it.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Magus I don't think you gained anything here except looking bad. Pre-emptive hostility invites reactive hostility, and you haven't shared examples of what you claim to be pre-empting.

• @pydsigner said in Deus EX: MD:

@Magus I don't think you gained anything here except looking bad, and pre-emptive hostility invites reactive hostility.

I did gain. She isn't here calling me (and you) a racist. I succeeded in my goal.

• @pydsigner I preempted a situation that has happened multiple times in the past. I can accept looking bad as a result, and being told I'm being fallacious. I'm tired of being called racist for making fun of racists.

• Garbage Person

Well, there's only one way to find out.

@beetlejuice @beetlejuice @beetlejuice!

Er wait.

@Yamikuronue @Yamikuronue @Yamikuronue!

🍿

• @Weng How about instead, you talk about a game that is probably pretty good but can be expected to ignore all input except 'esc' some time within your first hour?

The fight in the sandstorm was kind of great despite being disorienting, and I felt bad that I didn't find the generator sub-objective, but I looked all over the place.

So far the biggest thing for me is how smooth it all is. All of the movement looks incredibly good, and really blows away the last game. I miss Detroit's more high-tech look, since everything here so far except MC-kun's apartment is just ugly cement. There's definitely more clutter though, which is nice.

Looking forward to the DX12 patch though, so I can max the settings.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Hahaha fuck no, I muted this thread as soon as I saw it. I don't want to get dragged into more racism shit, I already know this forum's full of assholes.

I'm having a rough enough week without all this crap. I don't need to manage white people whose feelings are hurt by the existence of racism on top of it.

I will behave in this extremely hostile manner

To borrow a phrase, you're a cunt.

Is that what you wanted, @Weng ? Are you happy now?

• Garbage Person

@Yamikuronue Approved.

Just wanted to make sure you knew it was there.
    And to use an awful Beetlejuice joke because I'm an awful human being.

@Weng I mean, thanks, but also, fuck you. You know?

• Garbage Person

@Magus I would, but I need to finish the previous game first, and I know better than to play a PC game without a few days of patching under it first.

• Considered Harmful

How about instead, you talk about a game that is probably pretty good but can be expected to ignore all input except 'esc' some time within your first hour?

Playing on PS4. NO_REPRO.

I know, I know, playing a FPS on a console is :doing_it_wrong:.

The fight in the sandstorm was kind of great despite being disorienting

I was creeping around picking guys off one by one quietly, and enjoying myself, and suddenly failed my side-mission (keep Singh alive). Reloaded, and jumped in the fray with a few Typhoon shots to take them out. Taking out lots of guys quick (with impaired visibility) is rough with a tranq rifle.

I felt bad that I didn't find the generator sub-objective, but I looked all over the place.

It wasn't too hard to find. Climb into a vent on the upper floor and follow it to a room where two guys are. You can see their heat signatures clearly at a distance with your augmented vision.

So far the biggest thing for me is how smooth it all is. All of the movement looks incredibly good, and really blows away the last game. I miss Detroit's more high-tech look, since everything here so far except MC-kun's apartment is just ugly cement. There's definitely more clutter though, which is nice.

I agree it looks quite pretty, but I care more about the gameplay and the narrative. I haven't done any non-combat sections yet to see how that works.

I'm very happy to see the hacking minigame intact!

• @Yamikuronue This is a game with a clear anti-discrimination message, just like the last one. And of course, here you are calling us racists again, just like I predicted. Please, stay gone.

@Magus The only thing I called anyone was calling you a cunt because you're running some kind of fucking smear campaign against me.

I haven't played the game. I don't know anything about how they handled the issue. I have no opinion.

It wasn't too hard to find. Climb into a vent on the upper floor and follow it to a room where two guys are. You can see their heat signatures clearly at a distance with your augmented vision.

Weird, I specifically did that, but never saw the thing. I also let the guy die. I'll see what happens as a result.

I agree it looks quite pretty, but I care more about the gameplay and the narrative. I haven't done any non-combat sections yet to see how that works.

So far the gameplay seems pretty great.

I'm very happy to see the hacking minigame intact!

Possibly even better, except that you have to use the arrow keys to scroll.

@Yamikuronue said in Deus EX: MD:

I don't need to manage white people whose feelings are hurt by the existence of racism on top of it.

In all justice, those people were being facepalmed at here, not encouraged or emulated.

• @Yamikuronue said in Deus EX: MD:

I haven't played the game. I don't know anything about how they handled the issue. I have no opinion.

Yet you ignored the thread because you don't want to deal with racists, you said. Which means, us, the people who are playing the game. You call that a smear campaign? You just love sitting on your pedestal raining down the hate.

@Magus Fuck off already. You can put whatever the fuck words in my mouth inside your delusional brain you want, I don't fucking care, just leave me the hell alone.

• Considered Harmful

The game plays on the growing schism between "augmented" (i.e., bionic implanted) humans and natural humans. Thus, "Mankind Divided."

There are strong parallels drawn with regard to discrimination, persecution, and xenophobia in our real society. In my personal opinion, the "aug lives matter" is not intended to mock or trivialize the similar movement in real life, but rather to portray it respectfully through dramatization.

+1 for portraying controversial issues in a videogame in a serious manner.

@error Sounds great. If I ever play it I'm not going to talk about it here. I'm sick to death of being attacked.

• Considered Harmful

Weird, I specifically did that, but never saw the thing. I also let the guy die. I'll see what happens as a result.

You have to walk up to the camcorder-tripod-like thing and activate it.

You have to walk up to the camcorder-tripod-like thing and activate it.

I don't know, I never saw anything outlined, but I do agree that that's probably my own fault.

I'm sick to death of being attacked.

Me too. Too bad I'm a filthy racist.

• ♿ (Parody)

I...don't understand why you're bringing up these opinions here. She didn't come in here and bring up anything.

• @boomzilla said in Deus EX: MD:

I...don't understand why you're bringing up these opinions here. She didn't come in here and bring up anything.

Because I don't want her in here, doing the same thing again. I said it like five times.

Looks like she'd already blocked it, assuming we'd trigger her with racist remarks, so it didn't need to be done. But I couldn't predict that, given her repeated behavior in the past. I will fling mud at her, if it means not having everyone in the thread getting mud flung at them, but then they went and mention-summoned her in, and she did it anyway.

Again I need to say, on the whole, I like Yami. But when this subject comes up, she's the same as the badfox.

• ♿ (Parody)

Because I don't want her in here, doing the same thing again. I said it like five times.

I'd like to introduce you to someone...

0_1472064432166_upload-5f4f88cd-a2fd-4ab6-b04b-e647b0b54668

I will fling mud at her, if it means not having everyone in the thread getting mud flung at them, but then they went and mention-summoned her in, and she did it anyway.

Well...you were having an unprovoked tantrum and many people didn't understand the history you two share. You overreact about this a lot.

You overreact about this a lot.

Yeah? I'm tired of people making up stupid lies and shoving me in a box full of them. Yami, coyne, and the fox do it constantly, and I hate it. I don't know if there really is a way to make it stop, but I will make it as uncomfortable for them to do it as I can.

• @Magus You're an asshole.

• ♿ (Parody)

Yeah? I'm tired of people making up stupid lies and shoving me in a box full of them. Yami, coyne, and the fox do it constantly, and I hate it. I don't know if there really is a way to make it stop, but I will make it as uncomfortable for them to do it as I can.

Well...now you're doing what you say they do. Fox and coyne at least seem to keep that stuff generally in the appropriate sorts of threads. Just stay out of those places and don't directly poke them.

Seems like yami is beyond where you are as far as discussing this stuff, so it doesn't sound like you need to keep up the crusade.

Well...now you're doing what you say they do. Fox and coyne at least seem to keep that stuff generally in the appropriate sorts of threads. Just stay out of those places and don't directly poke them.

I'm not. I'm targeting specific people because of things they personally have done. As opposed to 'people who play this game are racists' 'people who disagree with this one thing are awful homophobes' etc. The difference there is incredibly important to me.

@boomzilla said in Deus EX: MD:

Seems like yami is beyond where you are as far as discussing this stuff, so it doesn't sound like you need to keep up the crusade.

Right. And I'd like to stop talking about it now.

• ♿ (Parody)

Right. And I'd like to stop talking about it now.

Super. Please don't be the first to bring it up in the future, either.

• Sooo, back to topic:

I really wish they had disabled the collision checking on those Tesla lightning arcs. Because it's nice when you target multiple persons and half of them are still standing (and promptly shooting, of course) because there was a mote of dust in the way. :rolleyes:

• Man I'm slow at this game. I finally unlocked my augs, and immediately maxed my inventory size, grabbed the QOL augs (feet, break wall, breath, hacking up to lvl4). So now when I play some more, I'll be in really good shape to succeed. Next I have to go find <redacted> so I can use the <redacted> augs without <redacted>.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Man I'm slow at this game.

But are you having fun? That's the #1 metric for any game. (I like games where I can take my time and soak up the atmosphere.)

• BINNED

Edit: Also, you can save scum to your heart's content; didn't HR have like a checkpoint system?

Good! Fuck checkpoint bullshit, it's annoying as all fuck at times. I can be cheap using saves, yes. But I can be cheap by using other mechanics too and you don't gimp them. Just let me save, damn it!