WTF Bites

• BINNED

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

Receive more than 2-3 background notifications for an app in an hour?

Is this something different from what I'm thinking it is?
    Because I've received way more than 3 notifications for whatsapp in one hour.

• @topspin I really meant data notifications. Aka the ones that wake up the app to fetch data but don't show anything to the user.

• Considered Harmful

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@topspin I really meant data notifications. Aka the ones that wake up the app to fetch data but don't show anything to the user.

So give it a new high-water mark with each notification and have it pull everything between its last and the new. Yeesh.

• I misread this as F-1SEX and now I am dissapoint because that would be a great name for a fighter jet.

The F-1SEX - We will fuck you up.

F-1SEX.jpg

• Now, this one is interesting. Not getting into the whole "writing cheats is against the copyright" debate. But I guess either he or his lawyers saw this as a quick "get out of jail quick" card - basically they said: "He's a minor and thus was never allowed to enter a contract with you in the first place!" And Bungie agreed to that.

What they kind of missed was the part where they should have asked themselves: "What other consequences could this action have?"

Because now they have the problem that they were using a game without a valid license. Which is called software piracy.

So he's fucked either way. Because he cannot disavow one without affirming the other.

Just in case you want to know why they're hoisting him with his own petard:

All those misdeeds aside, it seems that it was Leone's pattern of harassment and threats toward Bungie employees that escalated his case from a moderation issue to a legal matter. That includes tweets in which Leone warned that Bungie Community Manager Dylan Gaffner "is not safe" (including a picture of Gaffner's Bungie employee badge); where he offered to commit arson at a discount rate "if it's [at] bungie hq"; and where he said that Bungie should "keep your doors locked."

From an earlier article.

• Considered Harmful

Arson threats aside,

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Because now they have the problem that they were using a game without a valid license. Which is called software piracy.

Depends on the jurisdiction, and unless specified in the contract itself, only court can void it. Did Bungaloo take and keep his money? Then the contract is in force.

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

Arson threats aside,

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Depends on the jurisdiction, and unless specified in the contract itself, only court can void it. Did Bungaloo take and keep his money? Then the contract is in force.

First of all, there's precedent to this and Bungie merely agrees that the original argument (disaffirmation) has merit. Secondly, Destiny2 is F2P for a while now so no money needs to have changed hands.

All they're saying is: "There's no way you can have this cake and eat it, too." They're merely pointing out that if he tries to weasel out that way he'll be open for attack from a different angle.

Did Bungaloo take and keep his money? Then the contract is in force

Actually, no. If he successfully claims disaffirmation they'd be forced to return the money.

• My WTF of the day... (actually it's been happening for a while, just got around to posting about it): Quicken.

The paycheck entry dialog (only the one where you click 'Enter' - the one you 'Edit' behaves just fine) likes to make itself very large vertically so you don't have to scroll as much. Well, guess what it does on a portrait monitor. Yup, all 3840 pixels. And no, you can't resize it.

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

portrait monitor

Found :trwtf:.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

portrait monitor

I'm actually getting used to it. That's where Visual Studio runs. I like seeing all the code. The only issue is the top of the monitor is a long ways away! (It's a 27" monitor, I think 24" or smaller would actually be better for vertical)

• Considered Harmful

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

portrait monitor

I'm actually getting used to it. That's where Visual Studio runs. I like seeing all the code. The only issue is the top of the monitor is a long ways away! (It's a 27" monitor, I think 24" or smaller would actually be better for vertical)

And how are you finding our planet in other aspects?

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

portrait monitor

Hm. For Visual Studio, I still prefer landscape.
    But when reading some texts in the library, I used to turn the monitors by 90° to get a portrait mode. But they weren't 27" either.

• @Zerosquare Yeah, that was a surprising bit of sanity. Unexpected too.

But, to turn it into a WTF. We're not allowed to connect non-blessed devices to electrical outlets at work. We can typically get one personal device certified, assuming there is a reasonable ... well. reason. Personal coffee machines typically get denied. 😢

However, getting a USB charger through seems doable. Devices that plug into the USB charger are OK, because they don't connect to an electric outlet directly.

I figure if I can find a USB charger that can output something 5x240W, I can bundle those outputs to get a peak of around 2kW. The personal fire hazardcoffee machine is firmly within reach now! 😅

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@cvi
    5 x 1/4…carry the seven…uh huh, uh huh….2!

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

@Zerosquare Yeah, that was a surprising bit of sanity. Unexpected too.

But, to turn it into a WTF. We're not allowed to connect non-blessed devices to electrical outlets at work. We can typically get one personal device certified, assuming there is a reasonable ... well. reason. Personal coffee machines typically get denied. 😢

However, getting a USB charger through seems doable. Devices that plug into the USB charger are OK, because they don't connect to an electric outlet directly.

I figure if I can find a USB charger that can output something 5x240W, I can bundle those outputs to get a peak of around 2kW. The personal fire hazardcoffee machine is firmly within reach now! 😅

Yeah, you won't find one that doesn't have the dimensions of a blade server. A year back I looked into chargers which could provide several USB-PD ports (20 W each would have sufficed).

I only found chargers which do like 8x100W but are prohibitively expensive and definitely not small.

• @izzion said in WTF Bites:

5 x 6/25

FTF:pendant:

Besides, unlike other unnecessary office junk (computers and stuff), we're talking about a coffee machine. This is important stuff, so including some margins seems prudent.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

5 x 6/25

FTF:pendant:

Besides, unlike other unnecessary office junk (computers and stuff), we're talking about a coffee machine. This is important stuff, so including some margins seems prudent.

Please let me know where you're going to be letting the magic smoke out of the USB charger so that you can get 2kW of power from ports rated for an aggregate of 1.2kW. So that I can be safely out of state nearby with 🍿 and a 📷

• @izzion :facepalm:

Classic off by factor two.

I blame being distracted by work. Shitposting and working at the same time is tricky.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Classic off by factor two.

Buy a second one. Use them bonded together.

It reminds me of this:
    0608152132_010.jpg
    OR35fRE.jpg

• BINNED

@Zerosquare tsaukpaetra heavy breathing

• Java Dev

@Zerosquare Why are you heating up cat food

looks at avatar

Never mind.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

I can bundle those outputs to get a peak of around 2kW.

In theory. In practice....

Shitposting and working at the same time is tricky.

:doing_it_wrong: You're not supposed to be working

• ♿ (Parody)

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

. We're not allowed to connect non-blessed devices to electrical outlets at work. We can typically get one personal device certified, assuming there is a reasonable ... well. reason. Personal coffee machines typically get denied.

Is this just a power consumption issue? What's the purpose of this?

• BINNED

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

. We're not allowed to connect non-blessed devices to electrical outlets at work. We can typically get one personal device certified, assuming there is a reasonable ... well. reason. Personal coffee machines typically get denied.

Fire hazards of crappy electronics.

• ♿ (Parody)

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Ah. Do you guys have the little catches on gas pumps that allow you to let go of the handle while fueling?

Do you guys have the little catches on gas pumps that allow you to let go of the handle while fueling?

:sadface:

• @boomzilla Honestly not sure. Have heard different reasons. The people doing the actual testing have claimed that it's required by law. I'm fairly sure that isn't the case (at least anymore). Rumors say that it's for insurance reasons (e.g., insurance requires it). Maybe. Could also just self-propagating bureaucracy. Maybe a mix.

Testing brand new devices, though? They also put all new purchases like computers through that stuff. Purchases that are made through their preferred suppliers. AFAIK they can't test much more than that the grounding exists, and isn't directly wired to either live or neutral, and a few other simple properties from the side of the plug. I have my doubts that they could even check something like wire gauge (though that is at least somewhat in the realm of possibility).

• BINNED

@boomzilla yes.

Not sure of the significance of this, but if you think (perhaps reasonably) “fire hazard, whatever”:
    You should see the occupational safety training they make us go through once a year. The images of lightly burned cables / electronics / multi-outlet strips etc. the guy took at our offices makes you change your mind on that, there’s just too many morons walking around to have the institute burned down by not enacting strict safety policies. Heck, even the kitchen has signs now to not leave while you have the stove running, because apparently some idiots do things like “just quickly check an email” while things are cooking and then completely forget they have the stove on at all.

So anything that draws significant power must get checked to be plugged in permanently (it could start to burn when your not around), and table top cookers (e.g. water cookers) are to be placed on a fire proof plate.

• ♿ (Parody)

@topspin amazing. I've worked in lots of buildings where people had no such constraints and I'm not aware of anything like that happening. I've never had any occupational training on this sort of thing, though I've had active shooter training so I guess toųchę.

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

The people doing the actual testing have claimed that it's required by law. I'm fairly sure that isn't the case (at least anymore)

You're in the UK iIRC?
    It is a requirement although the requirement is sort of vague and just requires mains electrical devices are maintained in a "safe condition". As most workplaces play it safe with things related to "Health and Safety" the testing of "portable appliances" is typically yearly - this is also presumably an insurance condition for most if not all companies.
    FIxed (hard-wired) appliances are 5-yearly IIRC and this might be by law.

It's unsurpisingly mostly theatre - just because an appliance is "safe" one day doesn't make it so the next. The office I used to be based from had a significant fire 6/7 years ago caused by an appliance that was tested as per the proper schedule.

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Testing brand new devices, though? They also put all new purchases like computers through that stuff

Generally new devices don't "require" testing for at least 12 months as they should be supplied in a "safe condition".

• BINNED

@boomzilla well, I’ve also never seen anything like that in a private setting, so I had no idea how anyone could manage to fuck things up that badly. (Although admittedly, if you buy cheap Chinesium electronics on eBay/Amazon, you’re gambling on burning things up.)
    But I guess it only takes one absolute moron out of hundreds of employees who doesn’t know not to daisy chain 6 devices.

Active shooter training sounds about as useful as alien invasion training to me.

• ♿ (Parody)

@boomzilla well, I’ve also never seen anything like that in a private setting, so I had no idea how anyone could manage to fuck things up that badly. (Although admittedly, if you buy cheap Chinesium electronics on eBay/Amazon, you’re gambling on burning things up.)
    But I guess it only takes one absolute moron out of hundreds of employees who doesn’t know not to daisy chain 6 devices.

Maybe this is partly a consequence of having higher voltages? You guys do that too, right?

Active shooter training sounds about as useful as alien invasion training to me.

Considering I was working from home at the time...it was pretty useless to me, too. Obviously if I'm at home I'm shooting back, not hiding.

• BINNED

Maybe this is partly a consequence of having higher voltages? You guys do that too, right?

I don’t think so. We have higher voltage, but you can overheat power strips by daisy chains with either voltage. You just don’t do that if you’re a normal person. (Like you don’t leave the stove on over night.)

Reminds me, Technology Connections has a video explaining how the circuit breakers apparently don’t protect you from that:

https://youtu.be/K_q-xnYRugQ

• @loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

It's unsurpisingly mostly theatre - just because an appliance is "safe" one day doesn't make it so the next. The office I used to be based from had a significant fire 6/7 years ago caused by an appliance that was tested as per the proper schedule.

Somewhat amusingly, I know of one fire that was (I'm told) confirmed to have been started by a coffee machine. Building burned down.

However, the reason the building actually burned down fully was that the firemen refused to enter it after the first look inside. It had been filled over decades with stuff, becoming essentially half a library and half a wood/fabric workshop, with stacks of stuff along the corridors and walls..

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

you don’t leave the stove on over night.

🇨🇦 Why not? It helps keep the house not too cold 🍹

• BINNED

Being able to power an appliance with one ampere instead of a hundred is not, in fact, a fire hazard 🍹

• ♿ (Parody)

@kazitor said in WTF Bites:

Being able to power an appliance with one ampere instead of a hundred is not, in fact, a fire hazard 🍹

Well, they're doing something wrong with all these fiery appliances.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Reminds me, Technology Connections has a video explaining how the circuit breakers apparently don’t protect you from that:
    https://youtu.be/K_q-xnYRugQ

👋 First-hand experience with that. Discovered a wall outlet was a little loose when the air fryer made it let out the gnarly smoke after an extended cooking session...

• Considered Harmful

I don’t think so. We have higher voltage, but you can overheat power strips by daisy chains with either voltage. You just don’t do that if you’re a normal person. (Like you don’t leave the stove on over night.)

This is a) mostly a myth and b) made less likely by higher voltage.
    The risk of overheating a power strip is purely a function of the current you run through it. For a given power requirement, this will obviously be less at higher voltage. It's been a long time since I saw an EU power strip rated at less than 16A so as long as you don't trip the breaker you're fine. Shit with US plugs is still sometimes sold with 0.5mm² wires though so especially at 110V that's easily overloaded (the video would probably tell me that if ICBA to watch it). But the point is, it doesn't matter whether you plug 10 devices into one power strip or daisy-chain 10 power strips with one device each. Of course resistance and total power dissipation grows with cable length, but so does cooling surface, so that's not an issue either. Also, each plug increases the risk of a fire due to a bad contact (hence "mostly"—it does make sense to try and keep the total number of plugs down), but again there's no difference between plugging 10 power strips into a separate wall outlet each or each power strip into another.

• @Zerosquare Why do the power port logos have a bitrate?

@LaoC It also matters how much mechanical stress is being placed on the connection between plug and socket. If things are slightly pulling apart, the chances of problems are much higher. Plugs on the end of a cable are usually not much of a problem, but wall-warts can be.

There used to be a lot of trouble with this with UK devices before the switch to the current standard happened. I remember seeing (but not using) a few round pin equivalents of these when I was young, and being told that they were dangerous:

Even those square-pin ones can be a problem is you load up a few of them at once connected together. Don't do that.

@Medinoc said in WTF Bites:

@Zerosquare Why do the power port logos have a bitrate?

I guess they're both power and (high-speed) data.

• Yes, I think they're meant for PCs with charging ports (which work like regular USB ports, but are able to supply more power), not things like wall chargers or power banks.

• Some software I track (don't need it yet, but I could see using it in the future) changed their versioning scheme. It's now yy.month.day. Didn't Y2K teach them anything? Maybe in 2100, they do the unix thing and the version changes to 100.m.d?

edit: Corrected date order

• @LaoC: power strips are fine when you use them properly.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who do things like:

• buy the cheapest & nastiest power strip with loose fitting contacts and flimsy wires
    • plug it into an old outlet with no grounding, that was meant for lighting and whose circuit is meant to carry a few amps at most
    • connect their microwave oven, electric boiler and other high-current devices, and try to use them at the same time
    • several or all of the above

The "don't use power strips" message is for those kind of people.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

Some software I track (don't need it yet, but I could see using it in the future) changed their versioning scheme. It's now yy.day.month. Didn't Y2K teach them anything? Maybe in 2100, they do the unix thing and the version changes to 100.d.m?

Yes, definitely. :trwtf: is using two digits for the year here.

• Java Dev

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

Some software I track (don't need it yet, but I could see using it in the future) changed their versioning scheme. It's now yy.day.month. Didn't Y2K teach them anything? Maybe in 2100, they do the unix thing and the version changes to 100.d.m?

Yes, definitely. :trwtf: is using two digits for the year here.

:trwtf: is even considering a version scheme will last that long.