WTF Bites

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

Today I discovered that the Discourse Avatar CDN is still a thing, and is now on version 4.

I'm surprised they're still only on v4.

• @loopback0 I was more surprised that they hadn't gotten bored of avatars yet and reinvented them to not need a CDN, let alone the fourth version of a CDN.

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

I was more surprised that they hadn't gotten bored of avatars yet and reinvented them to not need a CDN

This is the least surprising part of the whole thing.

They've made letter avatars a microservice available for any platform that needs it!

It was first implemented for use as part of the Discourse platform, however it can be used for any service which requires a simple, distinctive avatar for users who haven't set one themselves.

a02237fc-5591-49d7-9fc4-8bda49e7cf8b-image.png

• Java Dev

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

@Arantor I believe it has been on v4 for some time now. To what end, considering how utterly bizarre that thing is to begin with, I'm more amazed that it has remained on v4 and hasn't been replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

The Question and Answer have not both been found yet?

• @PleegWat universe still exists, therefore presumably not.

• Considered Harmful

@hungrier I stopped bothering with that when they got rid of the Ask toolbar.

• Considered Harmful

@loopback0 don't read it

• BINNED

@Arantor I believe it has been on v4 for some time now. To what end, considering how utterly bizarre that thing is to begin with, I'm more amazed that it has remained on v4 and hasn't been replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Tsk tsk. The answer to that is very clear in The Text.
    This will happen "if ever anyone discovers exactly what it is for and why it is here". Which sounds quite unlikely.

• Considered Harmful

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

Tsk tsk. The answer to that is very clear in The Text.
    This will happen "if ever anyone discovers exactly what it is for and why it is here". Which sounds quite unlikely.

Are any of you lot bloody philosophers? I assumed not and therefore what are yon eternal verities being pondered here for? By unguilded, unlicensed, unbonded and likely uninsurable tyros?

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

They've made letter avatars a microservice available for any platform that needs it!

It was first implemented for use as part of the Discourse platform, however it can be used for any service which requires a simple, distinctive avatar for users who haven't set one themselves.

It is my experience that any computer-related thing with "simple" in the name or marketing blurb is in fact very complicated. Another such word is "lightweight". Examples include SMTP, SNMP, and LDAP. I presume that such usages are really desperate pleas for help slipping out of the tortured psyches of the authors.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

It is my experience that any computer-related thing with "simple" in the name or marketing blurb is in fact very complicated. Another such word is "lightweight". Examples include SMTP, SNMP, and LDAP. I presume that such usages are really desperate pleas for help slipping out of the tortured psyches of the authors.

To be fair, SMTP deserved the name when it was first published, it just had heaps of shit tacked on to it later. And LDAP is actually pretty lightweight compared to the monstrosity that is X.500.
    "SNMP" is just pure sarcasm.

• Java Dev

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@Applied-Mediocrity Are you sure it's not like USB versioning, where it should be called version 7 but instead it's 4.2 Extended Plus?

4..2 Extended Plus would be a much better name than the shit that is USB3.x versions. Case in point, this image text from Wikipedia:

USB-A 3.1 Gen 1 (formerly known as USB 3.0; later renamed USB 3.2 Gen 1x1) ports

And for some extra headache from the same article:

To help companies with branding of the different transfer modes, USB-IF recommended branding the 5, 10, and 20 Gbit/s transfer modes as SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps, SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, and SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps, respectively.

Nice to know that the then state-of-the-art USB3 ports on my previous PC have been upgraded to 3.2 ports. Because if gonna stick with one version number, just dropping the minor version and calling all of them USB3 [5Gbps/10Gbps/20Gbps] would have been too fucking easy, would it?

• @TwelveBaud said in WTF Bites:

@Applied-Mediocrity If I remember correctly: You can no longer set your own e-mail settings -- if it's not built-in, not listed in the ISPDB, and doesn't have an autodiscover manifest, it doesn't exist -- and IMAP must support STARTTLS with a CA/BF-approved certificate, no more self-signed or legacy SSL bullshit.

You can still set everything manually in Thunderbird 91. Don't know about the security stuff, but SSL is still an option in the dropdowns.

@TwelveBaud said in WTF Bites:

IMAP must support STARTTLS with a CA/BF-approved certificate

TBQF, that's by far the sanest thing to do for IMAP these days.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

these days

There is a bunch of mail servers that were last updated under King Stick I. still sitting around quietly processing business critical e-mail.

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

As someone currently working on a project that's based on it, I wish someone had told me that a few months ago. ("SNMP? Let's see... Okay, it's just a tree of values and three basic commands. Can't be that hard to get working. Two weeks should be enough to get the software part done." :headdesk:)

It's a pretty good example of what happens when a simple idea meets design-by-committee. The fact that it uses ASN-1 should have been an immediate red flag.

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

just dropping the minor version and calling all of them USB3 [5Gbps/10Gbps/20Gbps] would have been too fucking easy, would it?

If you've ever seen the USB spec, you know that clarity and simplicity is just Not the USB Way™. (Another great example of design-by-committee.)

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Our junior developer has trouble with English. He just commited something with the following message:

Fix stucking process.

I had a laugh, but then I looked up the definition of "stucking" in UrbanDictionary. Don't look it up.

• @sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

I looked up the definition of "stucking" in UrbanDictionary. Don't look it up.

Generalized It For You.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

I looked up the definition of "whatever" in UrbanDictionary.

:but_why.apng:

• See? Even @Tsaukpaetra is not that foolhardy.

• Considered Harmful

@sebastian-galczynski an admirable economy of phrasing

@Zerosquare I prefer herotarded

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

@Applied-Mediocrity Are you sure it's not like USB versioning, where it should be called version 7 but instead it's 4.2 Extended Plus?

4..2 Extended Plus would be a much better name than the shit that is USB3.x versions. Case in point, this image text from Wikipedia:

USB-A 3.1 Gen 1 (formerly known as USB 3.0; later renamed USB 3.2 Gen 1x1) ports

To help companies with branding of the different transfer modes, USB-IF recommended branding the 5, 10, and 20 Gbit/s transfer modes as SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps, SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, and SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps, respectively.

Nice to know that the then state-of-the-art USB3 ports on my previous PC have been upgraded to 3.2 ports. Because if gonna stick with one version number, just dropping the minor version and calling all of them USB3 [5Gbps/10Gbps/20Gbps] would have been too fucking easy, would it?

The USB standard is horrible. Yes, you may have a USB-C plug, but what said interface has support for? Fuck knows. And if you have several ports, they may well support different parts of the fucking standard. There is so god awful much that can be varied that it's amazing that computers just don't spontaneously combust when you plug stuff in

• 🚽 Regular

@sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

I looked up the definition of "stucking" in UrbanDictionary. Don't look it up.

ygolohcysP DENIED.

• 🚽 Regular

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

it's amazing that computers just don't generally spontaneously combust when you plug stuff in

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

it's amazing that computers just don't generally spontaneously combust when you plug stuff in

Are you challenging @Tsaukpaetra?

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

As someone currently working on a project that's based on it, I wish someone had told me that a few months ago. ("SNMP? Let's see... Okay, it's just a tree of values and three basic commands. Can't be that hard to get working. Two weeks should be enough to get the software part done." :headdesk:)

It's a pretty good example of what happens when a simple idea meets design-by-committee. The fact that it uses ASN-1 should have been an immediate red flag.

My first project in my current job involved collecting SNMP stats from dozens of switches. In the end (before it was abandoned) about half of the code dealt with isolating various collector processes and restarting them periodically because somewhere in the jungle of components was a heisenbuggyan memory leak. :fun:

• @Carnage said in WTF Bites:

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

The USB standard is horrible. Yes, you may have a USB-C plug, but what said interface has support for? Fuck knows. And if you have several ports, they may well support different parts of the fucking standard. There is so god awful much that can be varied that it's amazing that computers just don't spontaneously combust when you plug stuff in

And they are mechanically vastly inferior to the A plugs (which were not all that great in the first place) too. I mean, the socket on the work notebook I recently got is suffering some bad contacts (affecting network, since ethernet is only in the “docking” station—and will affect display once I complete switching to it) and a colleague just told me that he already managed to break one in his—it's easy when you tug on it the wrong way—and because it's soldered directly on the motherboard, the support had to replace that.

• ndppd. 💢 :angry: 😠

Config file:

proxy someInterface 
    {
    }

== it won't work, but also there are no error messages.

Config file:

proxy someInterface {
    }

== no problems (and exactly same output when starting the damn thing).

Had to wade through its rather useless debug output & tcpdump output to figure out that the damn thing wasn't doing anything useful. Then look at the source code to figure out that most of the config file was going straight to /dev/null. (Since the problem is related to IPv6 routing, it wasn't exactly clear from the get go that ndppd was the problem.)

I want about 4 hours of my life back.

• Considered Harmful

@cvi such are the wages of sin. Return to the 1tbs.

• @Gribnit That brace style is a pretty minor sin. At least in comparison to writing a config parser that just silently ignores stuff. (Pretty sure you can put random statements into the file and it'll just ignore that stuff.) 😠

• Java Dev

@cvi Possibly some form of ASI? With the newline, it's reading an empty proxy someInterface declaration (which has no effect) and an anonymous block of settings (which are stored but nothing is reading them in that context)?

@PleegWat said in WTF Bites:

an anonymous block of settings

But why would you do that in a configuration language? What purpose would it serve?

• @PleegWat I have no idea what ASI is (quick Google didn't help), but what you say is roughly what ends up happening. It has a handwritten parser, so I'm blaming it on just being a shitty parser. Besides, finding something that you don't understand in a configuration file should be an error and not just silently ignored.

There was another problem. Between the Github version and the version I got from my system's package manager, there had been some changes. In particular an option to automatically set up some routing stuff had been added. I could set that option in the configuration file, and the old system version would just ignore it, making relevant traffic fail. New version would work fine. I could not find anything about that in even the debug log output. (With tcpdump, I could see that for an outgoing ping, the ping would go client -> machine with ndppd -> interwebz -> machine with ndppd -> Address Unreachable reply back out to the interwebz. Exactly same config file with new version works.) (Nevermind, remembered that was something that happened while debugging the overall issue, where I had set up neighbour proxying manually on one side; it just eventually led me to take closer look at whatTF ndppd was trying to do when you told it to set up the routing stuff.)

Thing is also taking about 0.8ms/sec to pass around a handful of address solicitation/advertisement messages on my LAN, making it the second worst power consumer on the router. First place goes to Unifi's controller software (java + mongodb). Probably intended to be webscale, so concerns like letting my poor router idle instead of mongodbing aren't exactly rated high. Technically don't need that one to be running, so when the novelty of pretty graphs wears off in a few days, I'll probably disable it again.

• BINNED

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

I have no idea what ASI is (quick Google didn't help)

Automatic semicolon insertion.
    There's no semicolons here, but the point is that with K&R braces the retarded parser knows the declaration isn't finished at the end of the line, whereas with Allman braces it throws its hands up and thinks "empty statement, yay".

• @topspin Ah. Wasn't thinking in that context. The config file "format" isn't that advanced (i.e., it certainly isn't JS or anything), and the parser certainly doesn't do automatic anything. Unless you consider disregarding stuff automation. In that case it does ADD (automated data discarding).

• BINNED

Email from a coworker starts like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-16 um 11.01.19.png

Why?! Why are you writing your emails in bright green?!

HTML mail was a mistake, emails should be plain text. And no one should ever have left the oceans to begin with.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

Why?! Why are you writing your emails in bright green?!

Because glucose?

Why are you writing your emails in bright green?!

Do we have the same colleagues?

PS: try reading that on a dark background / dark theme.

• 🚽 Regular

• BINNED

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

Why are you writing your emails in bright green?!

Do we have the same colleagues?

By transitivity that would imply I have competent colleagues. So no. 🐠

competent

That's just my TDWTF persona. I try to not let it leak to much into real life. 🍹

• @cvi Very few people let competence leak into real life.

• Java Dev

Network icon says 3 bars signal strength, network list says 0% signal strength for the work network that I am connected to. Hmm...

0-percent-3-bars.png

• @Atazhaia the bars are always lies.

• Considered Harmful

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

@Gribnit That brace style is a pretty minor sin. At least in comparison to writing a config parser that just silently ignores stuff. (Pretty sure you can put random statements into the file and it'll just ignore that stuff.) 😠

That parser sure looks nasty. I've written shit like that that was probably even buggier when I was a true believer in premature optimization, but there's probably no place more obviously premature than config file reading.

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

@Gribnit That brace style is a pretty minor sin. At least in comparison to writing a config parser that just silently ignores stuff. (Pretty sure you can put random statements into the file and it'll just ignore that stuff.) 😠

That parser sure looks nasty. I've written shit like that that was probably even buggier when I was a true believer in premature optimization, but there's probably no place more obviously premature than config file reading.

Then there's the Liquibase (a database change management system) JSON parser. It barfs with a hard error if you use tabs for indentation instead of spaces. It even gives that as the error message...instead of just fixing the parser to handle any whitespace (or none at all) like the "spec" says it should. Haven't tried it (because :kneeling_warthog:) with no whitespace at all, but I expect it doesn't like that either.

• Considered Harmful

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

This is code that is visible somewhere? It sounds nasty but I haven't seen it. I don't suspect it's mine, I prefer to use framework parsers since it frees up time to optimize CLI parameter handling.

• Considered Harmful

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

It barfs with a hard error if you use tabs for indentation instead of spaces.

Well, tabs violate MVC, and complicate text file rotation, that makes sense.