WTF Bites

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

@DogsB said in WTF Bites:

It would have been more cost-effective to force him to use vim.

But for re-starting vim, you must be able to exit it first...

[Fucking hell; why did it post immediately?! Stupid UI!]

Exiting vi is easy: Esc Esc : q ! Return

• Banned

@Bulb there wouldn't be two disconnected stacks if there was no reason to create a second stack in the first place. HTML5 was basically a joint effort by the Big Three to wrestle the web away from Adobe's tight grip. But if Flash belonged to the Big Three to start with, there would be no point in that. And Chrome's selling point, instead of supporting the latest and greatest non-Flash web technologies, would be supporting the latest and greatest that Flash has to offer. And suddenly iPhones wouldn't have a problem with running Flash either.

• @dkf Wow! That's absofuckinglutely simple. I thought in the lines of something like

cat /dev/proc | more

and after reading thru that list, followed by a

kill -xcvdf 4711

or rather a

shitdown -r -f -t 0

• @Gąska It would still be separate HTML and binary Flash formats. While now we have just one HTML. That is better solution.

• 🚽 Regular

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

shitdown -r -f -t 0

Not sure if typo. Not sure it matters.

• Banned

@Bulb modern websites aren't much different from binary formats, with minifiers and whatnot. There's no actual HTML either. Everything is made with createElement().

Also, if people in charge of browsers and people in charge of plugins were the same, "plugins are completely isolated from the rest of the page" is exactly what would NOT have happened. Just look what Chrome does with Google's many services. Technically the browser isn't supposed to have specific in-depth knowledge of the websites you're visiting and display/request/do stuff that's not part of the page code itself, buuuuuuut...

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

I think Perl had the right idea by making threads almost independent processes sharing only explicitly specified variables, but it became mostly irrelevant before threading became relevant enough for it to be used more.

The idea is not bad, but the implementation still sucks donkey balls. Some things plain don't work with it, it's inconsistent between platforms, and not particularly lightweight to begin with. Events for when a single CPU is sufficient, proper processes for when it's not, that model would avoid quite a few bugs in other languages, too.

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

modern websites aren't much different from binary formats, with minifiers and whatnot. There's no actual HTML either. Everything is made with createElement().

It still isn't two, separate, different formats. You can mix and match the things freely. You couldn't do that with the flash format even if the browser people were in charge of that. It makes more sense from everybody's—except Adobe, of course—perspective to integrate the features into HTML+JS.

• Banned

@Bulb if people in charge of browsers and people in charge of plugins were the same, "plugins are completely isolated from the rest of the page" is exactly what would NOT have happened. Just look what Chrome does with Google's many services. Technically the browser isn't supposed to have specific in-depth knowledge of the websites you're visiting and display/request/do stuff that's not part of the page code itself, buuuuuuut...

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

The idea is not bad, but the implementation still sucks donkey balls. Some things plain don't work with it, it's inconsistent between platforms, and not particularly lightweight to begin with.

That's what I thought. Never got a good enough excuse for trying it.

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Events for when a single CPU is sufficient, proper processes for when it's not, that model would avoid quite a few bugs in other languages, too.

That's what JS eventually went with, out of necessity, and it is turning out to be a reasonable approach.

@Bulb if people in charge of browsers and people in charge of plugins were the same, "plugins are completely isolated from the rest of the page" is exactly what would NOT have happened. Just look what Chrome does with Google's many services. Technically the browser isn't supposed to have specific in-depth knowledge of the websites you're visiting and display/request/do stuff that's not part of the page code itself, buuuuuuut...

It wouldn't happen … because they'd integrate the features in HTML and don't do it as plugins.

• Banned

@Bulb exactly my point all this time. Finally I got it through. Flash integrated fully with HTML and no ECMAScript or HTML5 or any other of that shit in sight. But Adobe just couldn't play nice.

• @Gąska Flash features integrated into HTML. So exactly what HTML5 is, possibly under another name. Possibly some ActionScript3 features integrated in JS. Which is approximately what ES6 is anyway.

• Banned

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Gąska Flash features integrated into HTML.

No no no. Flash itself integrated into HTML. You don't have just any other language, you have ActionScript specifically. You don't have just any video element, you have Flash media player specifically. You don't have just any graphics API, you have Flash animations specifically. And so on. Cannibalize Flash's codebase instead of recreating the features from scratch.

It totally could have happened. It did happen in other ecosystems. 90% of the standard library additions in C++11, 14, 17 and 20 was copy-paste from Boost. It was possible because Boost is open source, and everybody was using it anyway. But Adobe wanted 100% of the profits for themselves, and so they ultimately ended up with 100% of zero.

so they ultimately ended up with 100% of zero.

I'm not so sure. I don't think they ever made money from the Flash runtime anyways ; what they sold was the development tools. And I think they still sell them, except now it generates HTML5 code.

But Adobe wanted 100% of the profits for themselves, and so they ultimately ended up with 100% of zero.

On the other hand, this is a nice opportunity to be featured alongside Coca-Cola in all the MBA-inspired slides. After all, anyone arguing "New Coke was actually good" or "New Coke was a shitshow about a shit" gets just plain "OK, BOOMER" today. So we should at least move to "OK MILLENIAL" (and Flash is so millenial).

• Banned

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

I'm not so sure. I don't think they ever made money from the Flash runtime anyways ; what they sold was the development tools.

But the only reason anyone bothered with their development tools is because Flash was so popular and there was no alternative to Adobe's tools. After Flash became obsolete, they quickly lost market share on dev tools as well. Now it's called Animate, and quick googling indicates they sell at least 50x less licenses for it than for Photoshop. It used to be one of their core products.

• Considered Harmful

they sell at least 50x less licenses for it than for Photoshop

amtlib.dll intensifies...

• Banned

@Applied-Mediocrity I can compare seed numbers on TPB too.

• ♿ (Parody)

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Flash was the single most used infection vector for Trojans et al for years, only rivalled by that other POS Adobe software called Acrobat Reader

sad ActiveX noises

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

I'm not so sure. I don't think they ever made money from the Flash runtime anyways ; what they sold was the development tools. And I think they still sell them, except now it generates HTML5 code.

I think they actually did make some money on the runtimes.

The project where I came to contact with it, the embedded thingamajig devs hired some Addobe-approved subcontractor to make the runtime work on the device and I believe some of the money went to Adobe.

And it was money for a very shoddy job, too. While Flash 9 was long available for desktop, for embedding they only offered 8. And then for :raisins: the device only supported I think OpenGL (and not even normal 2-D graphics) and the embedded Flash did not, so it displayed with rather inefficient full-screen buffer blit and was rather slow because of that.

(The project (which was some time around 2008) totally belongs in this thread. It was not just :wtf:, it was whole platoon of :trwtf:s)

I also think it was part of the reason for its demise—Google and Apple didn't want to pay them for the runtime, and didn't want to be dependent on them.

But yes,

But the only reason anyone bothered with their development tools is because Flash was so popular and there was no alternative to Adobe's tools. After Flash became obsolete, they quickly lost market share on dev tools as well. Now it's called Animate, and quick googling indicates they sell at least 50x less licenses for it than for Photoshop. It used to be one of their core products.

this is the main way. It's similar how Google indirectly makes money on Chrome, even though it's free and most of it is open-source, or on Android, which was initially also free even for the mobile manufacturers (I think some parts are now paid).

• kills Dumbledore

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

(I wonder whether it allows you to use fractional angles. Probably not, and you'd probably have to play fancy games to get it past the crappy on-key-press validator even if it worked…)

Doesn't seem to. Pasting a negative number works, but pasting anything with a decimal point throws up the "unacceptable character" error

What happens if you type the 5 then move the caret to the start and add the -?

• @Jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

(I wonder whether it allows you to use fractional angles. Probably not, and you'd probably have to play fancy games to get it past the crappy on-key-press validator even if it worked…)

Doesn't seem to. Pasting a negative number works, but pasting anything with a decimal point throws up the "unacceptable character" error

What happens if you type the 5 then move the caret to the start and add the -?

It pops up the "unacceptable character" bubble, like in my screenshot. The same whether you type or paste the -. The only thing that I've found to work is pasting a negative number, which can then be edited in the textbox

• BINNED

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Flash was the single most used infection vector for Trojans et al for years, only rivalled by that other POS Adobe software called Acrobat Reader

sad ActiveX noises

Well, ActiveX was more like a platform for infection vectors, so the numbers suffer from fragmentation. 🐠

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

three button mouse. Which almost everyone has now.

: Think different.

Just look what Chrome does with Google's many services. Technically the browser isn't supposed to have specific in-depth knowledge of the websites you're visiting and display/request/do stuff that's not part of the page code itself, buuuuuuut...

And Edge isn't supposed to throw a tantrum because you're visiting https://www.google.com/chrome.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

The project (which was some time around 2008) totally belongs in this thread. It was not just :wtf:, it was whole platoon of :trwtf:s

Sounds like it needs its own thread. 🍿

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Google and Apple didn't want to pay them for the runtime, and didn't want to be dependent on them.

From what I remember:

• Flash used to be supported on Android devices.
    • Flash was supposed to be supported on the iPhone as well, but it had a bad impact on battery usage, and Adobe failed to fix the issue. Steve Jobs finally had enough and told them "too bad, we're dropping Flash then".

• And then you remember that Adobe didn’t invent Flash, Macromedia did (along with Shockwave) which was bought out by Adobe.

Flash was supposed to be supported on the iPhone as well, but it had a bad impact on battery usage, and Adobe failed to fix the issue. Steve Jobs finally had enough and told them "too bad, we're dropping Flash then".

iOS never supported Flash, at least not on public versions

• Notification Spam Recipient

d559351f-2c9e-4aad-9693-06cd783fbf69-image.png

• @loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

iOS never supported Flash, at least not on public versions

What I wrote happened before the first version of the iPhone was released.

• Banned

happened

:airquotes:

• BINNED

You can enter an angle to skew something horizontally or vertically. It works just fine when you want a positive angle, but when you try to type a minus sign, this happens:

7f75a7eb-4b2d-4995-a0e2-174e0066b472-image.png

No repro on Win7:

ab13fd7e-534b-4979-831f-f4bc72f8cd42-image.png

And it does skew the top to the left instead of right.

However, when trying 55.5:

1f325e7a-b0bd-46c6-80ae-67b187dcbac4-image.png

In reality:

• spaces: invalid
    • decimals: invalid
    • 0: valid
    • 09: valid
    • +: invalid
    • +9: valid
    • -: invalid
    • -09: valid
    • −: invalid

Filed under: And some question why I’m still on 7.

• Banned

I open Hulu and the first thing I see is a full-page ad for this show.

e36d08fc-6b03-4cf2-82d7-314247f5ed3d-image.png

I can't imagine the thought process of whoever chose that name. Everyone who remember this being a thing is too old to find it funny - and the picture doesn't even look like it's supposed to be a comedy.

Edit: nope, it is a comedy after all, and the target demographic indeed is people who were teenagers 20 years ago.

a comedy after all

About what, two girls on their journey to become men?

@Tsaukpaetra comedy, not drama

• kills Dumbledore

I open Hulu and the first thing I see is a full-page ad for this show.

e36d08fc-6b03-4cf2-82d7-314247f5ed3d-image.png

I can't imagine the thought process of whoever chose that name. Everyone who remember this being a thing is too old to find it funny - and the picture doesn't even look like it's supposed to be a comedy.

Edit: nope, it is a comedy after all, and the target demographic indeed is people who were teenagers 20 years ago.

I was a teenager 20 years ago and have no idea which thing you’re talking about

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

three button mouse. Which almost everyone has now.

: Think different.

:technically-correct: Then you usually don't have a mouse.

@Jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

You weren't in the club?

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@Jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

You weren't in the club?

The penis club? :sadface:

@topspin

Probably not the one you're thinking of

• kills Dumbledore

@topspin

Probably not the one you're thinking of

Obviously never made it to deepest darkest Cornwall

• BINNED

@loopback0 definitely sounds like the lamest premise for a tv show ever.

• @Jaloopa Yeah, wasn't familiar with it either. I don't think that would have worked when I went to school. If nothing else, because everybody would have thought the person writing "penis" on their hand to be some tough/edgy cool kid. Assuming you ever got to that part of the "joke".

@Tsaukpaetra comedy, not drama

I said what I said.

• Banned

@Applied-Mediocrity I can compare seed numbers on TPB too.

4e57479f-df64-4492-8e34-de29ecc2b02c-image.png

850d45f2-663e-4253-bc71-c1216b1a5ca4-image.png

2000 and some vs. 21. Unsurprisingly, it's even less popular among pirates than legit users, now that there's no need to use it for anything.

• Considered Harmful

@Gąska It's not a fair comparison to begin with. A couple more factors go into that, the least of which is adding arguably funny captions in Impact font to cat pictures. For example, there used to be Adobe Master Collection that contained everything. For people who got Office Pro Plus when they needed Word and maybe Powerpoint.

Also, it's Adobe Animate that is the Flash successor. AIUI, Adobe Character Animator is just some specialized abomination of it to make Homer Simpson talk like Stephen Colbert or something.

• Banned

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

Also, it's Adobe Animate that is the Flash successor. AIUI, Adobe Character Animator is just some specialized abomination of it to make Homer Simpson talk like Stephen Colbert or something.

Fuck. I knew that, I just derped when searching.

baeaa99c-8ded-4273-b0ff-68cb94f1aa6d-image.png

It does seem somewhat popular among pirates after all. Not even close to what it used to be, but still.

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

Adobe Animate ... Adobe Character Animator

It does seem somewhat popular among pirates

Animated pirate:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSnEgXNXls4