WTF Bites

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

a fucking font

I don't think Unicode has defined those characters, yet.

• :belt_onion:

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

With the iPhone 11, we've introduced the biggest, ugliest camera bump in smartphone history
    Oh yeah? Two can play at that game!
    :motorola:: Hold our beer

b6e3099d-1f15-4ded-872d-f7da96abdc11-image.png https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_one_zoom-review-2009.php

The canonical Motorola is /\/\, FYI

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

@Polygeekery Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain are on the list, while Ronnie Dio, Rob Halford, Ian Gillan, Sammy Hagar, and Lou Gramm are not. That list is worth less than toilet paper.

Also, Axl Rose? Did they hear him live the last few decades? :wtf:

Does anyone happen to know what are 0xEE 0xA0 0x85 and 0xEE 0xA0 0x86 in UTF-8 encoding?

Side-note: I always keep this utility (as a package) around to look up stuff in the character database. It's a simple python script that searches the database by string, codepoint or name. E.g.:

$ unicode -s $'\xee\xa0\x85'
    U+E805  - No such unicode character name in database
    UTF-8: ee a0 85 UTF-16BE: e805 Decimal:  Octal: \0164005
    
    Category: Co (Other, Private Use); East Asian width: A (ambiguous)
    Unicode block: E000..F8FF; Private Use Area
    Bidi: L (Left-to-Right)

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

TIL that you can embed a fucking font in a CSS as a base64 encoded binary. What kind of evil sourcery is that?

If you can embed images in HTML as base64-encoded binary, why couldn't you embed fonts (or images when we are at it) in CSS?

• Banned

@Bulb no need to bring in HTML - CSS can contain base64-encoded images, too!

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

@Bulb no need to bring in HTML - CSS can contain base64-encoded images, too!

Status: Imagining an html file including only a CSS include, which renders a whole fucking document...

• @Gąska I said that already. I brought HTML as in if it can be done in HTML, why couldn't it be done in CSS.

• Banned

• BINNED

@JBert said in WTF Bites:

The case and PCB?

Just that, I believe. As firmware you can likely pick one out of a handful of open-source firmwares.

Hell, for that price you buy yourself a pimped-out Ultimate Hacking Keyboard which is another niche product with a lot of hand-assembly.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
    What the actual fuck? And is that wood?! :crazy:

keyboard.png

Oh, why am I not surprised. :doing_it_wrong:

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

a fucking font

I don't think Unicode has defined those characters, yet.

🍌 ✊ 💦

🍆 🍑

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

What the actual fuck? And is that wood?!

Sorry, but that actually looks pretty sweet. (Maybe not the color scheme, but the keyboard.)

Question is if it's sweet enough to spend $350 on that. That's without the wooden arm rest, even.

• BINNED

@cvi I prefer foam. Wood is a bit too hard for my tastewrists.

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier Fuck. I'm clearly in the wrong business.

If you think it's insane, never look at the audiophile business.

Those people are beyond nuts. Especially musician audiophiles. I have a little side project of designing guitar overdrive pedals. Mostly just to learn (audio-frequency analog electronics, PCB design and layout, etc. Lots of interesting stuff to learn) but I intend to try to sell them once I have a final PCB design I like. It's mostly a clone of a common Ibanez design, but I made a few minor circuit tweaks to improve it for my tastes.

There's one dual op amp chip on it, and the type of op amp isn't really important. But there are guitar players out there who spend hours and hours researching op amps and switching them around, trying to pick out the "warmest" and "smoothest" and other ill-defined highly-subjective terms with no bearing on reality. I met one once, and he immediately asked what op amp I had on my overdrive. I told him it was a TI RC4558, and he dismissed it as worthless because "There was one production run of 4558's in 1978 by a company that went bankrupt, and every other 4558 ever made is complete junk." (Apparently people go dumpster diving to find old VCR's and stereo amplifiers so they can desolder these chips and and sell them... :facepalm:)

It doesn't matter than I can take about 100 chips of different make and model and purpose, and prove with an oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer that the output is 100% identical in this design1. Obviously, I'm missing something because he can hear the difference like night-and-day. If I was more of a troll, I'd try to set up a blind test with him, but I don't feel like wasting that much time.

Then he asked me if my design was based on the Ibanez TS-9 or the TS-808. My response was "Uh, either one, they're the exact same thing..." because they are2. Got to listen to another monologue about how the TS-808 is thousands of times better than the TS-9, with polite implications that I must be a complete moron to think they're identical.

1 Taking a 3 MHz chip and operating it at audio frequencies below 10 KHz makes it just about the least important part in the audio signal path. I'm also convinced the designer intended it to work with any op amp, and came up with a clever design that basically negates any difference between make, model, lot, etc.

2The resistor that sets the output impedance is a little different. One design can drive out a little more current than the other, and it makes no difference unless the next item in the signal chain is terribly-designed or severely-malfunctioning. Ibanez probably ran out of that resistor and quickly changed to something they had in stock so they didn't have to halt production, and then some stick-in-ass QA guy demanded they change the model name as a result.

EDIT: Sometimes I hate that I took up writing. Now if I write anything longer than two sentences I have to make a bajillion edits to it afterwards...I can't help myself.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

I prefer foam.

Fair - I don't care about the arm rest too much anyway. Rest of the keyboard looks pretty neat. It comes in an ISO layout even, so I can pretty much use my preferred keyboard layout with it (unlike the traditional ANSI ones that lack a few keys that I inevitably miss when typing).

• 🚽 Regular

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

Now if I write anything longer than two sentences I have to make a bajillion edits to it afterwards...I can't help myself.

Just look at the icons in my posts and you'll see taking up writing is not a required condition.
    Though I hardly ever do more than two or three edits that you can see.

• Fake News

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@JBert said in WTF Bites:

The case and PCB?

Just that, I believe. As firmware you can likely pick one out of a handful of open-source firmwares.

Hell, for that price you buy yourself a pimped-out Ultimate Hacking Keyboard which is another niche product with a lot of hand-assembly.

keyboard.png

Oh, why am I not surprised. :doing_it_wrong:

Jeff once convinced a keyboard brand to make a custom line, so it's definitely no surprise:

• @JBert said in WTF Bites:

CODE Mechanical Keyboard

Anyone here who's tried that thing? Is it any good?

• BINNED

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

It comes in an ISO layout even

So that's what that's called? TIL.

• Considered Harmful

@ixvedeusi said in WTF Bites:

Anyone here who's tried that thing? Is it any good?

Why? Do you doubt the marketing?

We’ve carefully positioned the symbols on each individual key so they are evenly lit by the LED underneath.

I remember putting Cyrillic letter stickers on imported laptops so that they are evenly positioned on each individual key. Too bad I didn't realize the value of my artisan precision craft handjob work back then. I could have made a fat bunch. would have been fired on the spot.

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

Do you doubt the marketing?

Yes.

a comment in the code

It is a part of a 10 KB minified script

:wtf_owl:

The point is that when the binary resource is external it can be inspected on receive by the antivirus. If the resource is base64 encoded blob hidden in CSS how do you inspect that before you let browser touch it?

This is just malicious javascript with different punctuation.

• @levicki I'd like to experiment with a tube-based pedal, but I don't like working with high voltage. I'll leave the vacuum tubes safely sealed away inside my amplifier. (There are designs that run the tubes at low voltage, but they don't really use the tubes in a way that matters and they're just included for marketing purposes...)

EDIT: in response to the video, one of the tweaks on my design is a switch between symmetric and asymmetric clipping. I thought it would be interesting, but in practice it's useless. The asymmetric mode is slightly louder than symmetric because it clips one half of the waveform less so the waveform power is a bit higher, but nobody who's listened to it can tell any difference in tone.

The point is that when the binary resource is external it can be inspected on receive by the antivirus.

It's been proven, time and time again, that antivirus software doesn't include font files in the threat model anyway. Even though malicious fonts can be used for silent kernel-level privilege escalation, as has been frequently demonstrated. So your counterargument is baseless.

One good reason why embedding those resources is good is that it forms a single unit of deployment. Besides saving a server round trip, it also ensures that the consumer of the resource and the resource itself are updated lock-step, and neither has to be forward- or reverse-compatible with the other. Base64-encoding it does increase the file size, but that's counteracted by HTTP-level compression (gzip or brotli, usually) and you usually get a net gain anyways with how bloated HTTP headers have become.

• 🚽 Regular

I have a little side project of designing guitar overdrive pedals. Mostly just to learn (audio-frequency analog electronics, PCB design and layout, etc. Lots of interesting stuff to learn) but I intend to try to sell them once I have a final PCB design I like. It's mostly a clone of a common Ibanez design, but I made a few minor circuit tweaks to improve it for my tastes.

There's one dual op amp chip on it, and the type of op amp isn't really important. But there are guitar players out there who spend hours and hours researching op amps and switching them around, trying to pick out the "warmest" and "smoothest" and other ill-defined highly-subjective terms with no bearing on reality. I met one once, and he immediately asked what op amp I had on my overdrive. I told him it was a TI RC4558, and he dismissed it as worthless because "There was one production run of 4558's in 1978 by a company that went bankrupt, and every other 4558 ever made is complete junk." (Apparently people go dumpster diving to find old VCR's and stereo amplifiers so they can desolder these chips and and sell them... )

It doesn't matter than I can take about 100 chips of different make and model and purpose, and prove with an oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer that the output is 100% identical in this design1. Obviously, I'm missing something because he can hear the difference like night-and-day. If I was more of a troll, I'd try to set up a blind test with him, but I don't feel like wasting that much time.

Then he asked me if my design was based on the Ibanez TS-9 or the TS-808. My response was "Uh, either one, they're the exact same thing..." because they are2. Got to listen to another monologue about how the TS-808 is thousands of times better than the TS-9, with polite implications that I must be a complete moron to think they're identical.

......................................................................................................................................................................

Sound's complicated. :rimshot:

• @TwelveBaud said in WTF Bites:

brotli

TIL. Also yay for promoting my mother tongue!

I could even almost excuse the lack of diacritics, considering that this is meant for the internet; but really, it's Brötli and Zöpfli, lern2spell already!

The point is that when the binary resource is external it can be inspected on receive by the antivirus. If the resource is base64 encoded blob hidden in CSS how do you inspect that before you let browser touch it?

Since everything is served by HTTPS these days, the only way for the antivirus to check anything is to have a hook in the browser that feeds it all the data as they are received before further processing. And that plugin should have no trouble getting content of data: urls; the url probably goes through the same fetch interface at some point whether it is data: or not and can be intercepted there.

• Considered Harmful

6d8e518a-ca52-4044-99e3-0a10520deebd-image.png

Which category is unacceptable for this Microsoft.com URL: business, or software/hardware?

• @error I bet the proxy sees the "filestreamingservice" in the URL and is completely ignoring the domain name. Clbuttic.

• Considered Harmful

@error I bet the proxy sees the "filestreamingservice" in the URL and is completely ignoring the domain name. Clbuttic.

Knowing WTFCorp, I'd bet they blocked all Windows Store URLs deliberately. Sucks, because I don't know any other way to get the Microsoft Terminal app beta.

• Considered Harmful

This post is deleted!

• Considered Harmful

I think I can upload a CGI script to my web host to wget it, so I can download from there...

• Java Dev

You still need three memory buffers -- one for receiving compressed data, one for uncompressed data, and another one for base64-decoded data

base64 doesn't make sense anywhere other than the outermost layer.
    Gzip decompression needs at most 64kb of buffer, and base64 needs 20 bits, though using a kilobyte or two is sure to speed things up. Really the only thing of significant size is the final data in its working form - there is no need at all to store the entire object three times.

• Considered Harmful

@error said in WTF Bites:

I think I can upload a CGI script to my web host to wget it, so I can download from there...

So that worked, but then the installer file still tried to phone home, which was also blocked.

• @error You need to get the offline/standalone installer.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

nobody who's listened to it can tell any difference in tone.

I bet you could persuade an audiophile that they could hear the difference!

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Only if I tell them the switch activates a magic op amp from a tiny lot of 500 IC's manufactured in 1978 that someone pulled from a VCR that's been rotting in a landfill for 20 years.

• @mott555 Tell them it's gold-plated and current-polarized. And whatever other woo words you can stuff in there.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@mott555 Tell them it's gold-plated and current-polarized. And whatever other woo words you can stuff in there.

But I'm an engineer, not a marketer!

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@mott555 Tell them it's gold-plated and current-polarized. And whatever other woo words you can stuff in there.

But I'm an engineer, not a marketer!

I read this in DeForrest Kelley's voice.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

I tried (and failed) to blindly guess which audio file* had a higher bitrate, so I'll never be an audiophile.

But I'm an engineer

Nobody's perfect 🤷🏻♂

• 🚽 Regular

@error said in WTF Bites:

I tried (and failed) to blindly guess which audio file* had a higher bitrate, so I'll never be an audiophile.

I don't particularly care about the bitrates in my audio files.

• sneakily reencodes all of @Zecc's music library at 32 kbps

• BINNED

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@mott555 Tell them it's gold-plated and current-polarized.

You have to make sure the polarization turns in the same direction as yoghurt does. Don't remember if that's left or right, but it sure it healthy.

• Prabhu hoped to feed BigGAN photos of bicycles from ImageNet so that his computer would generate its own original and never-seen-before pictures of bikes.

Instead, however, his code conjured strange flesh-colored blobs that resembled blurry, disfigured female bodies. Puzzled, he went back to the training data set, and realized he had accidentally trained his model on bikinis instead.

(the rest of the article is not funny, however)

• This post is deleted!

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

sneakily reencodes all of @Zecc's music library at 32 kbps

If they're opus, it's not half bad...

@Zerosquare Damn... even the AI wants to look at naked womenkids. We created a monster.

FTFY according to the title.

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare Damn... even the AI wants to look at naked women. We created a monster.

handsclean.jpg