WTF Bites

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

@dreikin Can't you see? It's assigned to Nbdy, the guy who pissed off Poseidon by attacking his cyclops son.

But the bug report says the assignee is Unassigned, not Οὖτις. I guess they're out of sync, too.

• @dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Status: So, just to make sure that the Bluetooth issues I'm having are indeed related to my Pixel, I used my iPad to connect to my new smart lock.

It shows a connection within 2 seconds everytime I try it, from any point of my appartment.

Meanwhile, the Pixel takes upwards of 10 seconds, sometimes timing out (after 30+ seconds) even if I'm directly next to the lock. An older Android tablet doesn't find it at all.

When coupled with the other BT issues I'm having with Android, I guess that's pushing me towards iOS - because Google doesn't seem to be able to make it fucking work.

Alternatively, the things you're trying have only been tested with iOS and so are bug-level compatible with it.

I was actually in contact with one of the developers for my e-bike. He said that they had hell of a time to figure out what the Pixel was doing wrong - because their other Android devices were doing exactly what they should have done.

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

Status: So, just to make sure that the Bluetooth issues I'm having are indeed related to my Pixel, I used my iPad to connect to my new smart lock.

It shows a connection within 2 seconds everytime I try it, from any point of my appartment.

Meanwhile, the Pixel takes upwards of 10 seconds, sometimes timing out (after 30+ seconds) even if I'm directly next to the lock. An older Android tablet doesn't find it at all.

When coupled with the other BT issues I'm having with Android, I guess that's pushing me towards iOS - because Google doesn't seem to be able to make it fucking work.

Alternatively, the things you're trying have only been tested with iOS and so are bug-level compatible with it.

I was actually in contact with one of the developers for my e-bike. He said that they had hell of a time to figure out what the Pixel was doing wrong - because their other Android devices were doing exactly what they should have done.

Huh. Maybe defective Pixel? My refurbished one, after having cracked the screen on my good one, is having issues with GPS that the first one didn't. Or were they getting that problem from many Pixel owners?

• Notification Spam Recipient

defective Pixel?

See! Having a dead pixel rate of 0.00000515407 is still totally unacceptable!

• :belt_onion:

In unrelated news, a fair amount of my Bluetooth problems were probably because my iPhone really likes to turn on Bluetooth (even though I manually turned it off), e.g. when I get a call and it and my Pixel were presumably sparring over the stereo.

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@pleegwat said in WTF Bites:

the .whatever is the name not the extension

No. I just tried creating a text file and renaming it to .htaccess. -- the result was a file called .htaccess (as expected). Its properties identify it as a HTACCESS File, which I associated with Notepad++. So yes, Windows is recognizing it as an extension.

0_1506788388264_e9216154-7253-4191-aa51-2226e6198d60-image.png

Now, the 8.3 filename is HTACCE~1 (no dot), but Windows isn't using that -- it's purely there for backward compatibility. It's actually just a hard link to the file that Windows creates invisibly so that DOS programs that only work with 8.3 filenames can find and manipulate it.

For files yes, but not for folders, which is what was being talked about.

There's no difference. Look, when I named a folder .htaccess, Windows even specifies that the folder is a "File folder (.htaccess)" type, even though it's completely meaningless for folders...

0_1506827010353_5ead9fab-36fd-4c10-9b0a-ff490cba8660-image.png

Clearly, it still recognizes that part of the filename as an extension.

About the only time that it doesn't consider the portion after the last dot to be an extension is if that portion contains any space characters.

• Considered Harmful

@twelvebaud said in WTF Bites:

DXR

https://wiki.mozilla.org/DXR

Huh, okay, so it's basically Mozilla Github?

Wait, what was that?

Zoom! Enhance!

0_1506815081979_6ce57eaf-caab-44f8-b572-0d731a416318-image.png

Uh...

0_1506815176480_f296f3f1-c0af-4323-a0ae-5601235c783c-image.png

I guess they're running on quantum computers, allowing them to play with Schrödinger's Assignment.

Linked sections of source are always black

The Everything is Racist thread is :arrows:

Huh. Maybe defective Pixel? My refurbished one, after having cracked the screen on my good one, is having issues with GPS that the first one didn't. Or were they getting that problem from many Pixel owners?

No, their Pixel showed the same defect.

• 🚽 Regular

I get it in this context though: there's a move toward making the thing you're working on the focus and providing a neutral background appearance for professional photo and image software, which makes it easier to focus on the work and removes problematic contrast and colors (e.g., you don't want a bright white background making it hard to see the dark areas, you don't want to get your color vision/sense skewed by the UI, etc.).

That's a good point, but I find that it's even harder to keep focus on what I'm working on if I have to lose time fishing out the correct icon for a given tool.

The tool panels' visibility can be toggled instantly through the tab key.

• Considered Harmful

0_1506888856758_wifitask_2017-10-01_13-11-53.png

'Details' just showed the MAC addresses. No, I didn't know those off the top of my head either.

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

'Details' just showed the MAC addresses. No, I didn't know those off the top of my head either.

What is that from? Vista?

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

😆 😆 😆

Oh, you're serious. Latest release of Windows 10.

😆 😆 😆

What context did you get that from? See, without explanation that could easily be a doctored photo.

• Considered Harmful

😆 😆 😆

What context did you get that from? See, without explanation that could easily be a doctored photo.

I switched on my computer, which then automatically attempted to connect to WiFi. The university's wifi is really screwy at times, but still.

😆 😆 😆

I switched on my computer, which then automatically attempted to connect to WiFi. The university's wifi is really screwy at times, but still.

Alright, fine. I'd expect esoteric Wi-Fi authentication schemes not need by anyone but enterprises to not be fully vetted for cases when the IT screwed up.

But then again, are you sure you connected to the right network? That error message in this context means that the security certificate offered by the AP was incorrect(i.e. Untrusted, spoofed). You might be connected to a MitM attack.

• Considered Harmful

😆 😆 😆

Alright, fine. I'd expect esoteric Wi-Fi authentication schemes not need by anyone but enterprises to not be fully vetted for cases when the IT screwed up.

But then again, are you sure you connected to the right network? That error message in this context means that the security certificate offered by the AP was incorrect(i.e. Untrusted, spoofed). You might be connected to a MitM attack.

Their networking is bungled to hell. IT's network team is extremely lazy, too, so nothing ever gets done. If there's a MitM attack, then hopefully it'll give me an actual stable connection. Meanwhile, you say this as if IT doesn't look at all my browsing data anyway.

IT doesn't look at all my browsing data anyway.

To be fair it's not really that interesting anyway.

• Garbage Person

@pie_flavor So, in other words, you might be connected to the wrong MitM attack.

Tried to open Resource Monitor to check something.

0_1506909401672_190c513f-76f5-48ec-a863-6c1c8e5e98af-image.png

... Well that's not good, is it?

Edit: Using the window menu I maximized it and everything is back to normal :rolleyes: I wonder how that happened?

• 0_1506969197529_Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 2.32.16 PM.png

Note: this is not what a web app should do when you try to log in. Especially as just an ordinary user. Oh, and it continues on for about 3 screen-fulls. And then says "the whole stack trace is available in the logs."

• Considered Harmful

• @zecc Curious. Tried in cmd with md. Nope. It stripped the dots.
    "test.." -> "test"
    "test. ." -> "test"
    "test .x" -> "test .x"

• @heterodox said in WTF Bites:

my iPhone really likes to turn on Bluetooth (even though I manually turned it off)

We keep telling you - Apple knows what you need better than you do. So stop turning it off!!!

Tried to open Resource Monitor to check something.

0_1506909401672_190c513f-76f5-48ec-a863-6c1c8e5e98af-image.png

... Well that's not good, is it?

Edit: Using the window menu I maximized it and everything is back to normal :rolleyes: I wonder how that happened?

Now you know how small the window can be... (something probably screwed up the registry and set the size to 0 - it's even more fun when that's positioned off screen)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@benjamin-hall said in WTF Bites:

Oh, and it continues on for about 3 screen-fulls.

Doesn't look too bad to me. Those exceptions that occur during startup will tend to have a lot longer stack trace. :(

EnableControls(currentState == StatesEnum.Editable ? true : false);

Oh, how do I know you're new? Magic. Pure magic.

Filed under: not deserving its own thread

• 0_1507036770281_18949225-94a0-4117-8a31-8273ec7175a4-image.png

The C#/Unity contractor we are dealing with has got to be the most incompetent boob we've seen so far.

Last week, my Tiny Junior had to spend an hour of his personal time explaining to him that yes, it is indeed possible to parse JSON in C#.

Today:

0_1507036652612_04dcd02c-aca4-470b-9e39-0f706fdf0d01-image.png

I don't know how to copy [compiled bundle] to FTP.
    What do I need to download?

Yet, he seems to be able to produce working Unity programs.

Is this normal for game programmers? It's like they live in a different world from us.

• Garbage Person

Alexander Litvinenko in a sushi bar, why do all the articles on running a Docker registry on Nexus blithely tell you to configure it to run over plain HTTP?

• @greybeard presumably because they don't want to do the alternative, which is explaining how to set up an internal SSL certificate for an internal website.

• 🚽 Regular

@greybeard said in WTF Bites:

running a Docker registry on Nexus

Why would you run a Docker registry on a cellphone? ⏭

• 😡

0_1507047672247_timeout.png

Translated:

It's been more than 12 minutes since you started your booking. To get the right prices you will need to update your search. [Back to search]

"Update your search" is (of course) an euphemism for "we will now throw away all of your input and make you go through all of the steps you completed so far again (better not think too long this time, or we'll make you do it one more time!)".

🖕

@cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Yet, he seems to be able to produce working Unity programs.
    Is this normal for game programmers? It's like they live in a different world from us.

I dream it were not so, but sadly...

• Another :wtf: from my LoB web app (online gradebook, scheduling, etc):

15 seconds before it logs you out, it pops up an alert saying "If you don't press continue within 15 seconds, you'll be logged out." The buttons are "continue" and "end session." Guess what pressing "continue" does?

If you guessed: Log out, you win!

Guess what the other one does? Yup, logs you out.

15 seconds before it logs you out, it pops up an alert

INB4 early expiration

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

15 seconds before it logs you out, it pops up an alert

INB4 early expiration

That, or the delay in popping up the alert is >= 15 seconds (which is another :wtf: entirely)

• Java Dev

@cvi All because they apparently need to update their train ticket prices every 10-15 minutes. The fact they can't just refresh the prices on the fly is however a :wtf:, or at least remember the input from the last search.

• @atazhaia I mean, I'd be complaining too if they updated their prices mid-booking and things suddenly got more expensive. The pricing scheme is stupid anyway -- the outbound journey is almost 5x as expensive as the return journey for this particular trip.

(Then again, the person who scheduled this particular event on the bloody other side of the country needs to be stomped on their toes too. It's like a meeting afternoon on the first day, and morning on the second day. If it were morning+afternoon on the same day, I could arrive a fashionable few hours late because of travel, and leave a fashionable few hours early, because of travel. Incidentally, this totally explains the reason for the current schedule.)

• Java Dev

@cvi I hope it's a meeting on the other side of the country in an east-west fashion. Meeting on the other side of the country in a north-south fashion is, well, yeah. :P (Had a 12h travel time a month ago driving halfway across the country for work-related stuff.)

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

@atazhaia I mean, I'd be complaining too if they updated their prices mid-booking and things suddenly got more expensive. The pricing scheme is stupid anyway -- the outbound journey is almost 5x as expensive as the return journey for this particular trip.

(Then again, the person who scheduled this particular event on the bloody other side of the country needs to be stomped on their toes too. It's like a meeting afternoon on the first day, and morning on the second day. If it were morning+afternoon on the same day, I could arrive a fashionable few hours late because of travel, and leave a fashionable few hours early, because of travel. Incidentally, this totally explains the reason for the current schedule.)

Is this for your business? Are they compensating you?

• @atazhaia Nah, east-west. Up north would have been more fun, though. :-) There may be some people coming from the northern part of Sweden, though, so maybe I shouldn't complain too much about my travels. I mean, ~3.5h (plus 3-4h for when the train breaks down) isn't that bad.

Edit: Besides, with a 12h travel time, it would be a bit difficult to leave on the same day and then still pass it off as arriving "fashionably late".

• @dreikin Business. Employer pays travel+lodging. In that sense, it isn't too bad.

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

😡

0_1507047672247_timeout.png

Translated:

It's been more than 12 minutes since you started your booking. To get the right prices you will need to update your search. [Back to search]

"Update your search" is (of course) an euphemism for "we will now throw away all of your input and make you go through all of the steps you completed so far again (better not think too long this time, or we'll make you do it one more time!)".

🖕

They're probably reserving an unsold seat for you when you make the initial selection, to make sure that you can't get into a race condition where someone else buys the same seat while you're checking out.

Getting to the very end and being told that the thing you were trying to buy has been sold and sent all the way back to the beginning is even more annoying.

Still, it's nice when they tell you that's what they're doing, so you know that you can't dawdle around too much.

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

Still, it's nice when they tell you that's what they're doing, so you know that you can't dawdle around too much.

This. Or, like e.g. flight bookings, allow you to reset the timer once or twice.

• Try scrolling down this page:

:wtf:

Also, if you manage to drag the scrollbar, it does an excellent job of desynchronizing with your mouse...

• Java Dev

@lb_ I, uh, :wtf:

Why is that scrolling so horribly jerky? And why does one half scroll faster than the other?
    I also tried dragging the scrollbar downwards at an even pace, which seemed to make it jump around all over the page, as well as selecting all the text because apparently it's Schrödingers scrollbar which both is and isn't a scrollbar at the same time.

Other than that, the colors are horrible, the font is horrible and the experience is horrible. Seriously, fuck Dropbox and fuck their entire team of designers who came up with that atrocity. It's like the took all the bad aspects of modern web design and crammed it all into one site. Gah!

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

Try scrolling down this page:

Worked fine, once I scrolled down enough to get the scrollbar throbber away from that nav element at the top.

Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

That said, the page itself is ugly as balls. I'm wondering if it was meant to be accessible first, but the lack of associated tags seems to indicate otherwise...

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Worked fine

How so? For me, it hijacks my scrolling and uses it to scroll the left and right sides at different times so that I never really understand what is happening.

• Considered Harmful

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

Try scrolling down this page:

Worked fine, once I scrolled down enough to get the scrollbar throbber away from that nav element at the top.

Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

That said, the page itself is ugly as balls. I'm wondering if it was meant to be accessible first, but the lack of associated tags seems to indicate otherwise...

I dunno. I personally like the color scheme.

• @lb_
    And the aspect ratio is off on mobile. Wtf...

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

Worked fine

How so? For me, it hijacks my scrolling and uses it to scroll the left and right sides at different times so that I never really understand what is happening.

Edit: Sorry, NFC how to make the video fit in the post right...