WTF Bites

• @cartman82
    OP:

Please escalate this to someone who can answer the question as to why this was changed. If no one knows, then why was default behavior changed?

XD

Edit: context: this guy said that to the creator of the language. i don't think you could escalate any more than that

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

"etc. etc." is only as redundant as "many, many" 😜

Actually (), "etc. etc." is exactly as redundant as "and everything else and everything else".

• Let's give instructions, then use an example that says otherwise

0_1469649559661_upload-a61266c3-1e2d-4fff-b7ce-d6e794c28c92

• @Scarlet_Manuka said in WTF Bites:

You're going to call it @ll?

And pronounced 'atoll'?
    http://www.militaryissue.com/images/0072512.jpg

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TimeBandit Why would you do that? I do it for one of my services because otherwise Windows won't work with it (🍊) but otherwise using the name gives you the chance to swap things around without having to reprogram every damn client you care about…

• @TimeBandit It's not just the example that's wrong, the text is contradictory. The second sentence says to use only IP number, the third sentence says to use hosts or addresses.

Also the word "address" in the first sentence seems to be an entirely different concept from the word "address" in the third sentence, otherwise the phrase "hosts OR addresses" would be gibberish. (The entire field is the address! You said that in the first sentence!) My ass-pull is that in the third sentence the word "address" refers to what they literally one sentence ago called "IP number".

Anyway, point is the guy who wrote this is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard. Do you really want to use code written by someone that sloppy? I wouldn't.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

@TimeBandit using the name gives you the chance to swap things around without having to reprogram every damn client you care about…

I totally agree with that.
    But these instructions seem to disagree && agree with us. :wtf:

• Banned

In the "olympic village", Australian athletes complained something about the plumbing and the mayor told they would put some kangaroos there so they'll feel at home.

• Dupa

These credentials don't seem to work :(

0_1469710630373_money lover.PNG

• Dupa

@Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

/// <summary>
    /// Errors the specified exception.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="exception">The exception</param>
    void Error(Exception exception);

Why do you have comments if they're this fucking useless?

EDIT:

/// <summary>
    /// Informations the specified string format.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="stringFormat">The string format.</param>
    /// <param name="args">The arguments.</param>
    void Info(string stringFormat, params object[] args);

Oh for the love of...

HPCs' work, done with VS 2015 and .NET 4.5.2 (using Roslyn, so C# 6):

//build the URL using the input parameters
    string remoteUri = _uri + "ffs_a=" + ffs // (...) -> lots of parameters

// Create a new WebClient instance.
    WebClient myWebClient = new WebClient();
    // Download the Web resource and save it into a data buffer.
    byte[] myDataBuffer = myWebClient.DownloadData(remoteUri);
    // Display the downloaded data.
    string download = Encoding.ASCII.GetString(myDataBuffer);

return download;

• Fake News

@kt_ said in WTF Bites:

You're saying he should have used string interpolation? It would still be a long URI.

Also, cute comments. I knew a guy who wrote stuff like that as some form of pseudocode for a junior to implement. Later on the junior would write the real code beneath those comments, but he was too lazy or didn't dare to remove it...

• @kt_ said in WTF Bites:

ffs

Indeed.

• Someone using our api C library couldn't fit the data the way he wanted, so he just modified it's header file to make the structs the way he wants. Now he is asking why his program doesn't work.

• @otter Safety fears? They come from a place where everything is trying to kill you!

• @cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Fun argument from PHP archives

This Remus is like redneck version of Linus. Worth watching.

Of course, both he and the OP are WTFs here.

Rasmus is the elder PHP :wtf: since he's the guy that invented the fucking language.

• @groo said in WTF Bites:

Someone using our api C library couldn't fit the data the way he wanted, so he just modified it's header file to make the structs the way he wants. Now he is asking why his program doesn't work.

Someone shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a C compilercomputer.

There, better.

• @LB_ said in WTF Bites:

This has been giving me a notification on startup for ages:
    0_1469336452843_upload-1aa28b55-9af1-462e-8918-79e134ce8c30
    For whatever reason they released 16.5.1 first as beta for VR support and then 16.3.2 came out later. I finally tried installing 16.3.2, and it didn't change anything. According to AMD's driver detection program I am using the latest version already. Guess I'll have to wait until they release a new driver with a higher version number than 16.5.1...

16.7.3 came out, woo! Let's try updating!

Well, it launches the updater twice, and they both detect each other and refuse to run. Hmmm. No problem, I just looked at their command lines (which were slightly different for some reason) and launched one of them after the both closed. I updated! During the update, some WattMan thing said that it reverted to default settings due to some failure...hmmm... Restarted my computer, and now an update window appears asking me to update again. Every time I restart. Okay, I'll humor it - it installs again, this time no weird error messages from Wattman, restart, and... everything appears to be happy. I'm running 16.7.3 and no more notification at startup.

Yes, I went through all that primarily to get rid of the faulty "update available" notification at startup, and to a lesser extent to improve my driver stability and performance.

EDIT: and while trying to submit this post, the forums had cooties, so I opened a new tab and pasted and apparently I hadn't actually copied, so it pasted my entire screen from when I took a screencap but thankfully the message I was trying to paste was actually saved as a draft, so I guess my tech aura is recharging today. It's all rather discombobulating.

• :belt_onion:

@cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Fun argument from PHP archives

This Remus is like redneck version of Linus. Worth watching.

Of course, both he and the OP are WTFs here.

You know, he's a huge WTF, but I think Rasmus is actually in the right there. They can't just un-change the functionality like that, thus breaking people who have adapted to it (or written new code based on the new behavior), especially when the whole point of it is to make PHP less of a steaming pile of WTF in the first place. Granted that if they're following something like semver, they shouldn't have introduced it in a point release... but...

• @sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

You know, he's a huge WTF, but I think Rasmus is actually in the right there. They can't just un-change the functionality like that, thus breaking people who have adapted to it (or written new code based on the new behavior), especially when the whole point of it is to make PHP less of a steaming pile of WTF in the first place. Granted that if they're following something like semver, they shouldn't have introduced it in a point release... but...

Yeah, but subtly changing an edge case in a utility function that everyone uses all over the place?

Maybe this was the chance for another real_{function name} kind of solution... :)

• Dupa

@JBert said in WTF Bites:

@kt_ said in WTF Bites:

You're saying he should have used string interpolation? It would still be a long URI.

Nope, I mentioned it because we had a problem with that: we're still on vs 2013 and in order to open HPCs' work we had to install the nuget.

and all that 'cause they liked default property values, but they can't use a fucking var instead of this? Elsewhere in the code:

AVeryLongLibraryNameThatMakesYouWantToKillYourself lib = new AVeryLongLibraryNameThatMakesYouWantToKillYourself.AVeryLongLibraryNameThatMakesYouWantToKillYourself();

(note that the fact that both namespace and library have the same name, you have to type the full namespace path when initalizing, cause Roslyn will shit itself if you dont'. Rightly so.)

• @kt_ said in WTF Bites:

(note that the fact that both namespace and library have the same name, you have to type the full namespace path when initalizing, cause Roslyn will shit itself if you dont'. Rightly so.)

Can't you at least alias the namespace?

@kt_ said in WTF Bites:

This is why I oppose removing #defines in C/C++. 🚎 🔥

• Dupa

@kt_ said in WTF Bites:

A sane normal person would. I'm interested to hear why he can't.

• 0_1469822018535_upload-b1572d40-74bb-4631-bfb4-588a2308b10a
    Why use strings when you can use char[50000], after all they are the same right?

@cartman82 - the best part of that? They did it to avoid the Backspace issue that has the very same problem.

• @Sels said in WTF Bites:

Why use strings when you can use char[50000]

varchar, char, it's all the same, right?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

varchar, char, it's all the same, right?

I'm using SQLite, so yes, it's all the same. :p

• 0_1469902436940_upload-41ba3fb8-7079-414e-b94f-f006251cac9d

Am I supposed to be able to tell the difference between Android SDK and Android SDK Platform?

• Considered Harmful

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Et cetera et cetera: and so on, and so on.

Both are fine. You're emphasizing how many more there are. The literal translation doesn't quite fit idiomatic usage, but meanings change over time.

This thread is now about prescriptivism versus descriptivism.

• @error said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Et cetera et cetera: and so on, and so on.

https://youtu.be/1JHH6iwgIek?t=6

• Considered Harmful

Email from Gitter:
    0_1469913110379_image.png

• 0_1469914241945_upload-7a1d7715-8599-4343-9ece-b42823296ace

2 minutes into Android Studio and it's already crashed completely on me while doing a very simple task (it's been like this for minutes). GEE THIS SURE INSPIRES CONFIDENCE.

Fake edit: OK, it actually went through just before I hit submit (even though I clicked the cancel button). STILL A PIECE OF CRAP, GOOGLE, configuring a simple project should not take >5 minutes.

Actual edit: oh my god who the fuck makes a program show tips on startup anymore?

Actual edit 2:

0_1469914987965_upload-bfaf4308-c665-4545-9271-f7dfb3917d49

Oh. OK then.

Actual edit 3: it tells me there's an update, then redirects me to the Android SDK manager with some packages preselected that are NOT listed as upgrades, and also some broken packages at the bottom.

@anonymous234 o.O what did you do to Android Studio? It's never (well, after the really early betas at least...) done that to me before...

• @sloosecannon I... I installed it.

0_1469916166858_upload-d43de2a6-75a3-4707-831f-3ffa11417762
    Is this bad? It looks bad.

(it told me my computer doesn't have Intel VT but I assume it should still be able to work)

Hey, maybe when your program gets so complex that it requires its own dedicated package manager, you're just likely to find bugs.

• 🚽 Regular

@anonymous234 Same happened to me. I simply uninstalled those broken packages and it was fine. Not a good impression to cause, in any case.

I hate that they conflate "Updates/New". Sure, I can select "New" or "Updates" separately, but what if I only want to filter the list of packages I'm seeing, not change my selection?

0_1469960295741_Capture.PNG

Idiots.

• 0_1469971391157_upload-e4be4d22-0e4c-4da7-b255-6482c2b833c6

https://youtu.be/F1xP-e-y2Ns?t=13m39s

Digital artist advises you on how to simulate version control by saving multiple copies of your work in progress (13:40).

Blakey is right. We do need git for the masses.

saving multiple copies of your work in progress

logo_2_monday_update_real_version.png?

• @cartman82 Did anyone ever think he was wrong about that part? It's one of the few really good things he said.

On second thought, I don't want to know who disagreed on that, it would just depress me even more than usual. Again.

• @cartman82 The hard part is getting version control like git that can properly identify and diff complex file types like images and videos. Adding a single frame to a video shouldn't be the same as deleting the entire video and adding an entirely new video. (Though I guess having the raw videos separate from the video editor project files does help in that regard)

• @LB_ I'm actually keeping my entire image collection in my git. It's somewhat of a pain in the ass, having to make commits and such. I'd probably be better off setting up some self-hosted dropbox clone.

But as far as technical aspects are concerned, there hasn't been any problems.

my entire image collection

Yeeeah, "image" collection.

I'd tell you to just use Dropbox (it even has versioning built-in AFAIR), but that would probably put you on some watchlists.

• @Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

Yeeeah, "image" collection.
    I'd tell you to just use Dropbox (it even has versioning built-in AFAIR), but that would probably put you on some watchlists.

Aint no one got money for that.

• @cartman82 cryptography should allow people to do some sort of p2p backups, like one guy store the other's backup.

we just need a way for one to prove he is still holding the backup.

bad idea: rename the cryptographed file to some blockbuster movie, and share on emule with a low upload speed. sometimes fakes survive a lot on that network

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Unless you're Lady (Bea Clissold) Counterblast.

• @groo said in WTF Bites:

emule

Whoa, that thing is still alive?

• @Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

I'd tell you to just use Dropbox (it even has versioning built-in AFAIR)

Google Drive also has versioning. As for OneDrive, if I am reading their documentation correctly it's a feature only paying customers receive.

Blakey is right.

Duh.

We do need git for the masses.

Well, no, we don't. Because Git is garbage. We need FEWER things like Git, not MORE things like Git.

What we need is revision control for the masses.

• @LB_ You don't need to diff images and videos, at least not in version 1. A side-by-side would be good enough. For videos it'd be nice if you could autodetect the timecode where they start to vary.

• @blakeyrat I'm more concerned about saving on storage space - actually presenting the differences to the user in a nice manner should come naturally from that.