WTF Bites

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

A Farad is not generally a useful unit; it's too big.
    kilofarads are units of useful size

:sideways_owl:

• @topspin Brain fart; it's almost 03:00 here. Fixed.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

Nanofarads and millifarads are units of useful size, but for some reason they're not used

I agree for milifarads ; they're almost never used.
    Nanofarads are a different matter:

• As mainly a programmer, I would feel much more comfortable with analog electronics if we could use binary prefixes instead of the standard metric ones. Analog shit is complicated enough as is, but with mebiohms and and pibifarads I'd feel much more at home. šŸ†

• @Kamil-Podlesak said in WTF Bites:

You joke, but... Kubernetes use proper SI prefixes, so when I accidentally set memory limit to 4000m instead of 4000M, it dutifully set the memory limit to 4000 millibytes :facepalm:

It needs a milli prefix, because CPU limits are usually given in millicores (process milliseconds per real second). And it only has one parser for everything.

:trwtf: is that the reported error was "No space left on device" :wtf_owl:
    Took me a while to notice that this error happened in an attempt to read a file.

Yeah, that's a bit weird. The memory limit normally simply results in an OOM kill when exceeded.

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

You know what else "just works" for wired headphones?
    A 3.5mm audio jack.

Except when it does not. My wife got a new work notebook and said she has problem plugging in the headphones. I haven't seen it, so I don't know what is reason; probably the jack socket is blocked with some dirt or maybe the spring is stronger than expected.

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

As mainly a programmer, I would feel much more comfortable with analog electronics if we could use binary prefixes instead of the standard metric ones. Analog shit is complicated enough as is, but with mebiohms and and pibifarads I'd feel much more at home. šŸ†

Given typical analog tolerances, in lots of cases you could use the binary prefixes if you wanted to, and it would hardly affect the results.

• @error said in WTF Bites:

@Gurth said in WTF Bites:

(Unlike Windows, both iPadOS and macOS do the right thing and donā€™t toggle the case when Shift is pressed.)

:airquotes: The right thing :airquotes: meaning forcing you to type in caps and look for a shitty workaround?

The right thing meaning: not suddenly make me tYPE lIKE tHIS if I press Shift out of habit when I want all-caps and therefore have Caps Lock on.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

What version of Windows are you using?

None, happily.

I've never had the Shift key act as a toggle (aka Caps Lock)

See above: on Windows, Shift inverts the state of the Caps Lock key for as long as Shift is pressed. This has its uses, of course, but on the whole Iā€™ve found it to get in my way more than it was useful.

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

I agree for milifarads ; they're almost never used.
    Nanofarads are a different matter:

everyone in the world used either uF or pF, or sometimes mmf (mili-micro-farad!) was used

Using one m for Āµ and one for "milli" is a special kind of moronic. Kudos to the pr0n sites for obsoleting this term by hijacking it for their bipolar ECL.

• @loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

@topspin Use Desktop Linux at home

but-why.gif

:tro-pop-wave:

The other question is: Which one? (<moan>I'm sooo confused!</moan>)

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

Fucking PowerPoint.

Tsaukpaetra: Yes, please!

Hey! Even he has standards!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Huh. Yeah that is bizarre.

Huh. TIL.

But, I never use Caps Lock in normal circumstances so it's never come up.

That.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

@topspin Use Desktop Linux at home

but-why.gif

:tro-pop-wave:

The other question is: Which one?

Most people only have one home.

@Tsaukpaetra I assume that what he means is that if the key is already shifted (i.e., Caps Lock), Shift gives you the non-shifted key.

oOH, sPONGEbOB mODE!

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

But, I never use Caps Lock in normal circumstances so it's never come up.

Usually it happens to me because I accidentally hit the SpongeBob Caps Lock key without noticing.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

You know what else "just works" for wired headphones?
    A 3.5mm audio jack.

Except when it does not. My wife got a new work notebook and said she has problem plugging in the headphones. I haven't seen it, so I don't know what is reason; probably the jack socket is blocked with some dirt or maybe the spring is stronger than expected.

It's actually quite common that 3-pin jacks (ie without microphone) do not properly work in 4-pin sockets (ie in notebook).
    Especially the crappy ones.

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

Fucking PowerPoint.

Tsaukpaetra: Yes, please!

Hey! Even he has standards!

Yeah, but are they that highnot low?

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

:laugh-harder: Heard of a company in a suburb of Munich: 10 Mb download...

Do they also operate in Milwaukee?

• @ixvedeusi said in WTF Bites:

accidentally hit the SpongeBob Caps Lock key without noticing.

Which is why macOS requires a slightly longer press on the Caps Lock key than most people normally do when typing, to turn it on. Turning it off works with a normal-length keypress, though.

• Java Dev

forum.category.topic.post.placeholder

placeholder.png

I have no idea how modifier keys work on other keyboards.

The modifier keys work the same; it's the other keys that might have wonky behavior due to having weird symbols, accents, and other add-on stuff with their letters.

As mainly a programmer, I would feel much more comfortable with analog electronics if we could use binary prefixes instead of the standard metric ones. Analog shit is complicated enough as is, but with mebiohms and and pibifarads I'd feel much more at home. šŸ†

Now I'm wondering what the smaller-than-1 prefixes might possibly mean shifted into a programming context: millibit? picobyte? nanoflop?

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

millibit? picobyte?

Used to measure how much you can download per second on a Milwaukee PC connection.

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

nanoflop?

Used for measuring the performance of @Tsaukpaetra's computer.

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

Now I'm wondering what the smaller-than-1 prefixes might possibly mean shifted into a programming context: millibit? picobyte? nanoflop?

Picojoules are used when measuring the energy consumption of basic operations on a chip. You can extend that to work out such things as the average energy consumption per instruction of some code, but that's harder to measure.

• BINNED

Office gets shittier by the day and there's no way to search online for features since there's three dozen different versions (besides the actual numbered versions by year) that all behave differently and have different feature sets, e.g. Outlook, Outlook NEW, Outlook Web App in a browser tab, and of course that behaves completely differently from Outlook Web App on my phone. And Google search has become as useless as MSDN has always been.

Anyway, today's combination of misfeatures: Outlook insists on localizing the standard "RE:" to "AW:", then conversations tend to accumulate that shit as "AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: Some subject".
    That's been the case since forever. What's new: In Outlook Web App you can't actually manually edit the subject anymore. Because that would be too useful?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlook-on-the-web-change-email-subject-line-in/

The feature to change the subject line in Inbox in not available in Outlook Web App(OWA). According to my knowledge, there isnā€™t any good workaround.

ETA: Fixed link??

@topspin

It is recommended to submit your idea in Outlook Web App UserVoice forum for feedback. Microsoft always pays high values on customerā€™s voice and feedback.

:rofl:

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@topspin

It is recommended to submit your idea in Outlook Web App UserVoice forum for feedback. Microsoft always pays high values on customerā€™s voice and feedback.

:rofl:

narrator: In the year 2019 Anno Domini.

ļ€‡: Could you please add a feature to edit the subject line?

ļ…ŗ: Seen āœ…

@topspin in the year 2024...

265dc26c-9a2b-42f8-aaa8-eeaeab42d98b-image.png

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

What's new: In Outlook Web App you can't actually manually edit the subject anymore. Because that would be too useful?

You can't do that in "New Outlook" either. šŸ˜ 
    I tried it for a while, but switched back to Old Outlook.

@nerd4sale said in WTF Bites:

What's new: In Outlook Web App you can't actually manually edit the subject anymore. Because that would be too useful?

You can't do that in "New Outlook" either. šŸ˜ 
    I tried it for a while, but switched back to Old Outlook.

Yes you can (edit: or at least you can now).

Office365 OWA also lets you do it now, so assume it's an issue on older Exchange OWA.

Actually nevermind, I've just realised what you mean, you're right.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

That's been the case since forever. What's new: In Outlook Web App you can't actually manually edit the subject anymore. Because that would be too useful?

Either we're running an old instance of Weboutlook ...

I can edit the subject if I select "Reply" and then click on the tiny icon to open the mail in a new window:
    tinyIcon.png

New window has an editable subject.
    subject.png

(Don't tell me that there's a newer version than this that sucks even more.)

Edit: Somewhat interestingly, this test changed the the entire thread's subject to "STOP SENDING ME EMAILS" in Outlook as well. I'm guessing that's only for me. (If not, well, the person on the other end of the email I used for testing isn't that consequential, so šŸ¤· )

@cvi that's just changing the subject of the reply?

edit: :hanzo:

• @loopback0 See edit above.

In short, no the entire thread in outlook appeared to have changed. But I hit reply again, the reply had the original subject again.

So, in conclusion, it's a bit fucked, but if your goal is to remove a chain of Re: AW: AW: Re: Re: RE:, I guess it's usable.

it's usable.

For a rather generous definition of the word. But that is characteristic of Outlook in general.

• Teams keeps prompting me 'Microphone is muted'. Because it hears the speaker that it's using.

• ā™æ (Parody)

@ixvedeusi said in WTF Bites:

Which is why macOS requires a slightly longer press on the Caps Lock key than most people normally do when typing, to turn it on. Turning it off works with a normal-length keypress, though.

Cool. One more reason to avoid macOS.

I use CAPSLOCK a lot.

• ā™æ (Parody)

Anyway, today's combination of misfeatures: Outlook insists on localizing the standard "RE:" to "AW:", then conversations tend to accumulate that shit as "AWUWU: AWUWU: AWUWU: AWUWU: AWUWU: AWUWU: Some subject".

:sadface:

• @dcon said in WTF Bites:

Teams keeps prompting me 'Microphone is muted'. Because it hears the speaker that it's using.

That's actually ā€¦ it really Shouldn'tā„¢ be that hard to solve, but apparently it's way above Teams' ability (the meeting room speakers had it solved for years).

Worse, the automatic microphone volume ensures that it will start hearing itself if you have loudspeaker rather than headphones and don't talk for a while. And then it will start creating the horrific feedback scream.

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

Teams keeps prompting me 'Microphone is muted'. Because it hears the speaker that it's using.

That's actually ā€¦ it really Shouldn'tā„¢ be that hard to solve, but apparently it's way above Teams' ability (the meeting room speakers had it solved for years).

Worse, the automatic microphone volume ensures that it will start hearing itself if you have loudspeaker rather than headphones and don't talk for a while. And then it will start creating the horrific feedback scream.

Haven't gotten feedback yet... I use the builtin mic and the speaker is a bluetooth thing that's sitting behind the laptop (the top 1/2 of it peaks over the laptop because of what it's sitting on)

• @dcon Somehow you'll never hear feedback you are causing, just all the others will. Some colleagues cause it somewhat regularly. But maybe bluetooth means it has larger delay and then it never causes feedback, just echo.

@dcon Somehow you'll never hear feedback you are causing, just all the others will. Some colleagues cause it somewhat regularly. But maybe bluetooth means it has larger delay and then it never causes feedback, just echo.

I guess it's actually working right... No one's ever commented on any weirdness. Until then, :womm: no changes needed

• @dcon If you dutifully mute your microphone when you are not speaking, you won't get feedback, because you speaking is typically louder, so the gain gets reduced to below where it picks the speaker back and raising the gain while you are muted can't cause trouble because you are muted. Or it's the delay. Or both.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

@ixvedeusi said in WTF Bites:

Cool. One more reason to avoid macOS.

I use CAPSLOCK a lot.

Caps Lock works fine on macOS. I had to disable it manually.

• @Gurth said in WTF Bites:

Now, iPadOS automatically turns on capital letters if it thinks youā€™re starting a sentence. Fine for most people, I guess, but if I want to type something like ā€œThis, that, the other, etc. are all words.ā€ it will want to capitalise the first letter after etc. . With the on-screen keyboard, all you need to do is hit the caps key to turn it off before typing the a in are, which is a minor nuisance but not something you can't get used to. With the hardware keyboard, though, there is no bloody way to do that! The caps lock light doesn't come on, so pressing that physical key doesnā€™t work, and holding Shift pressed just means you will be guaranteed to type a capital letter. (Unlike Windows, both iPadOS and macOS do the right thing and donā€™t toggle the case when Shift is pressed.)

Well, it is not a capslock, because it will end after typing one letter. That makes it a ā€¦ sticky shift. Which makes sense, all on-screen keyboards have sticky shifts because you can't click multiple places at the same time with a single pointer and while multi-touch is possible, it would be rather awkward, so sticky modifiers it is.

ā€¦ now correct behaviour of sticky shift would be to turn off after pressingā€”and releasingā€”normal Shift. What does that do?

• @Bulb If your Shift is sticky, you should avoid spilling soda on your keyboard. Yeah, soda, that's the sticky, um, fluid on your keyboard. Definitely soda.

@topspin Caps Lock works fine on macOS for me, as someone who only uses it by accident.

@dcon If you dutifully mute your microphone when you are not speaking, you won't get feedback, because you speaking is typically louder, so the gain gets reduced to below where it picks the speaker back and raising the gain while you are muted can't cause trouble because you are muted. Or it's the delay. Or both.

But then the auto-gain takes its sweet time to kick in and waits until it detects your voice before turning the gain up to proper speaking volume, and everyone misses the first word or two of whatever you're saying.

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

and everyone misses the first word or two of whatever you're saying.

That's why you should always start by saying "Kkkkkhhkkkhh".

https://youtu.be/N5X8eQ3nYAs?t=60

• BINNED

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Either we're running an old instance of Weboutlook ...

I can edit the subject if I select "Reply" and then click on the tiny icon to open the mail in a new window:
    tinyIcon.png

New window has an editable subject.

Why would I want to open a new window? Intuitive and discoverable, especially when an explicit search only leads you to a Microsoft page saying it's not possible.

Also, I edited the subject line (only replacing the prefix madness with a single "RE:") by using one of the 59 other versions of Outlook. Now Outlook doesn't realize it's a reply to the same conversation anymore.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

It's usually solved in the microphone drivers, so no, it isn't Teams's job to solve this. There might need to be a setting to enable it, but that's about all.