WTF Bites

• Java Dev

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

My iPhone is set to install app updates automatically, which I think it does at night or so.

My iPhone is set to install app updates automatically, which is does about an hour after being disconnected from the charger while I am on my way to work and on mobile data.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

My iPhone is set to install app updates automatically, which I think it does at night or so.

My iPhone is set to install app updates automatically, which is does about an hour after being disconnected from the charger while I am on my way to work and on mobile data.

My phone is told to only auto-update over WiFi. But then it isn't an iPhone...

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

extremely urgent “minor enhancements”

Maybe a bug fix is not so minor and is actually urgent.

It could also have been something like the signing certificate had expired.

Well, then they’re morons too, because you don’t push that update on the fucking day the cert expires.

Well, then they’re morons too, because you don’t push that update on the fucking day the cert expires.

You do if you're silly enough to realise last minute and the update is signed with the new certificate.

• BINNED

@loopback0 yes, exactly.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Like every single LOB application that relies on certificates for operation. The sole purpose of a certificate management process for a large corporation is to figure out who to blame for not remembering to renew the cert, right before you delete the cert info from the CMP to hide the evidence.

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

Like every single LOB application that relies on certificates for operation. The sole purpose of a certificate management process for a large corporation is to figure out who to blame for not remembering to renew the cert, right before you delete the cert info from the CMP to hide the evidence.

Ah, but you keep all that information in the ticketing system... and then change ticketing systems without making any attempt to retain the old data in a readily accessible (and searchable) form...

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

A non-trivial part of the annoyance is that I have to get up and walk to the other room to get my wallet with the credit card in it.

You don't have your card info memorized?

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC because running critical infrastructure on even worse, insecure crap than it already is sounds like a good idea.

Stuxnet 2.0, anyone?

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

A non-trivial part of the annoyance is that I have to get up and walk to the other room to get my wallet with the credit card in it.

No, I don't.

• Fake News

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

No, I don't.

What did you expect, HG is ollllllllld. Then again, if you ask him to rattle off the phone numbers of ten different friends from when he was growing up, he probably will, because that shit gets burned into your brain when you have to literally spin a dial to call them.

I'm not that far behind, myself.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

4400881018🤔... Uh, seems that was expunged from the cache.

• @lolwhat said in WTF Bites:

if you ask him to rattle off the phone numbers of ten different friends from when he was growing up,

You're wrong... in assuming I had 10 friends. OTOH, I can rattle off my parents' phone number (they've been dead for over 20 years) and my grandparents' (they've been dead for 40 years) like I called them just yesterday.

As for the CC number, I've never bothered memorizing it. I don't need it all that often. Maybe once or twice a month I buy online from a site doesn't take a more convenient method and doesn't have a saved payment method.

• Java Dev

"Should we check if something else also is using this name? Nah, too much work."

csam.jpeg

• @Atazhaia There are too many more possibilities...
    "California Society of Addiction Medicine" is frist hit on Google. Further down, there's "Child sexual abuse material", "Centre Stage Artist Management", a company in B*****m 🇧🇪 , ...

• BINNED

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

a company in B*****m

:um-pendant: not a company, but a cooperation between several government branches to offer online identity and access management.
    Only known to anybody because when you fill in your taxes online you pass CSAM screens asking you to authenticate with your e-ID or app.

• BINNED

The story so far: since IT upgrading RHEL has allowed me to finally upgrade everything else, I jumped 8 versions of Qt Creator, but having all kinds of issues with it. Its clangd integration shows lots of stupid (and wrong) warnings for checks that shouldn't be enabled. I tested all the options: the project-wide settings just say to use global settings. In Analyzer / Clang Tools I have disabled all checks besides one thing for boost, in C++ / Clangd I even disabled "use clangd" completely. But all that shit still shows up. Sigh.

Today's :wtf::

🍑🤡:
    Someone should ban that language(German?) from user interfaces :) .
    Designers are not magicians.

Well, two things.
    First off, it's your fucking product. If you don't want stupidly long texts in your user interfaces, maybe instruct your translators accordingly and run the damn thing at least a single time.
    Second, whether the columns are long doesn't even change the fact that there are two of them, because there a way too many fucking entries. Clean your shit and introduce a bunch of sub-menus, would you?

I've switched the language to English and it still looks like this:
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-07-05 um 09.42.36 1.png

Bonus: Note how even for the longest entry there's a 135 px gap between the entry and its keyboard shortcut.

• BINNED

@topspin could be worse though. Could be Paraview:

paraview.png

To be fair, there are submenus and a search function. This is just the show everything alphabetically menu.

• @topspin If somebody figures out a shorter alternative to "im nächsten geteilten Fenster anzeigen", it'll already get better. It's a lot more descriptive than the English "in Next Split", but that's a tradeoff to be considered. If you use that function more than twice, you won't need the long description anyway.

Then again ... have you considered using this as a reason to get work to buy you an ultrawide screen? Might as well try.

Edit: Forgot. But have you considered using vim instead? 🍹

• BINNED

@cvi I wasn’t trying to establish a lower bound on usability, but then maybe ed would beat vim. 🍹