WTF Bites

• Considered Harmful

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

What in the hells. I don't even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=sJbF6k-e4-s

https://i.imgur.com/zisipND.png

If this isn't a sign we're living in a simulation, I don't know what the fuck is.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Hey, don't break his dreams. They still hope to break that 1000 players online barrier one day.

1k? I want to see 50 first.

I didn't know the historical numbers, and didn't want to make it sound overly mocking - wasn't sure how many zeroes to include (if any).

Here's some numbers: player registrations (the people who managed to launch the game long enough to click "next" on the "choose ur name" screen) are just over 9100. The average play time is about five minutes spread that over two-ish years....

Is there any way for people to play without having to have a 3D headset?

Just like anyone else who plays a Steam game?

If you don't have VR, it just falls back to mouse-and-keyboard.

• BINNED

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@Vixen I don't even care about reproducing. It's more about whether the result string concatenation is included in that time or not (it shouldn't be).

To measure how slow reflection is? No it shouldn’t.
    To measure how much slower the implementation in question using reflection is compared to a hand-rolled one? Yes it should.

And the question was the former.

That’s what you and him disagree about, and thus come to different answers.

• Java Dev

Here's some numbers: player registrations (the people who managed to launch the game long enough to click "next" on the "choose ur name" screen) are just over 9100. The average play time is about five minutes spread that over two-ish years....

So people are on average playing Hypatia for about an hour (combined playtime) every day.

@Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

So people are on average playing Hypatia for about an hour (combined playtime) every day.

:big-brain.png: Yeah, something like that, though some of the "dedicated" users are taking up more time than everyone else.

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra Can you give a quick summary what Hypatia is even about so I can decide whether to try it some time or not? (Even though the result will probably be "no", irrespective of your answer and it being your game)

a quick summary what Hypatia is

The Steam blurb is pretty succinct I think:

Hypatia – a social and magical place where creativity and exploration are the keys to this new world. Chat with friends, paint the city, share VR photographs, solve puzzles, join a stage play, or create your own fireworks.

(Even though the result will probably be "no", irrespective of your answer and it being your game)

No offense taken. Download is about 7 gigs, there is no tutorial so hit me up and I'll join if at a "reasonable" hour to guide if you're interested.

So long as you have something better than a GT735 graphics card and better than 3 GB of RAM you should be totally fine, forget what the min specs say.

• BINNED

social

🙁

social

🙁

It's not really social when nobody is playing... :mlp_shrug:

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

I think that it's more that they're more likely to have to suffer from lots of external non-maskable interrupts, aka children.

The non-maskable interrupts (the kid crying or demanding something) are not the issue—they are non-maskable. It's rather the timer interrupts like “take the supper off the stove in 20 minutes” and “check the kid didn't go anywhere twice a minute”. And it might indeed just be practice that gives the ability to focus just the right amount to keep them running and still get something done.

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

I know for a fact that the default tuple equality operator is over 100x slower than comparing each element separately, and it's exactly because of reflections.

:wtf_owl:? The tuple is declared, isn't it? So why in $hell does the default equality use reflection instead of just getting code-generated with the correct set of… oh, because it's a generic and C# generics don't actually allow generating substitution-specific code, right?

• Banned

@Bulb pretty much.

• BINNED

There is no "Font Bites" thread (and it's not really UI), so here goes.

The annotation settings I used:
    options.png

The resulting text label:
    text.png

FFS, that's not what square brackets should look like. Who designed this version of "Arial"?!

• That's what you get for running Linux hardware software 🍹

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

player registrations (the people who managed to launch the game long enough to click "next" on the "choose ur name" screen) are just over 9100. The average play time is about five minutes spread that over two-ish years....

:wtf:
    From a purely financial point of view, how can a free-to-play game with such stats stay alive?!

• Banned

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

player registrations (the people who managed to launch the game long enough to click "next" on the "choose ur name" screen) are just over 9100. The average play time is about five minutes spread that over two-ish years....

From a purely financial point of view, how can a free-to-play game with such stats stay alive?!

bills2.gif

You seem to be under the impression that it's "alive". I choose not to disillusion you.

The stats were about ten times worse when the price was $30.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

You seem to be under the impression that it's "alive". I choose not to disillusion you.

Well, the servers are still up and you're still being paid to work on it, right? So it's still somewhat alive, and costs money to run. Unless the same company also runs way more profitable games to offset the losses, I don't understand how it can survive.

• BINNED

There is no "Font Bites" thread (and it's not really UI), so here goes.

The annotation settings I used:
    options.png

The resulting text label:
    text.png

FFS, that's not what square brackets should look like. Who designed this version of "Arial"?!

E_NO_REPRO; that's certainly not any variant of Arial…
    arial.png

Comparing the two (because I don't know my fonts), the "a" and "t" are completely different. And the brackets, obviously. And the width.

edit: Wikimedia Commons has a very useful and much-needed category

Unless the same company also runs way more profitable games to

That's one of the issues: it's not a game, and only has game mechanics as an afterthought.

• BINNED

@kazitor said in WTF Bites:

that's certainly not any variant of Arial…

I mean, that's what I was complaining about.

I'm not sure what it is, but whatever it is it's wrong!

• BINNED

@topspin It looked so familiar, like something I've definitely used in the past…

so on a whim I had a look at the list of recently-used fonts, and it looks like Avant Guard [sic] Regular. That weird rectangular tittle practically confirms it, but the kerning is slightly off and I still get normal brackets 🤷♂

avant.png

edit: It's definitely Avant Garde Thin. Appears as a separate family for me, possibly because a lot of the fonts I carry around are rather FUBAR.

avantthin.png

• BINNED

@kazitor kerning being off might be the fault of the rendering program (it's a 3D viewer, so they're probably doing kerning wrongnot at all), but no idea where the font comes from. It must be built-in, too, because LibreOffice doesn't even show Arial to be installed on this system (RHEL 7).

EDIT:
    @kazitor said:

It's definitely Avant Garde Thin.

Well then, fuck whoever made that font, and doubly fuck whoever packaged that shit as "Arial".

• BINNED

I don't understand how it can survive.

@Tsaukpaetra's will power, mostly.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra's will power, mostly.soul, what's left of it

possible correction.

• @topspin That's also clearly not Arial.

e: :hanzo:

• Java Dev

@topspin Obviously it's a good replacement, it's right next to it in the list.

• BINNED

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

got font rendering to look like 21st century (read: like Microsoft and Apple) and entirely avoid your font "problem".

While you're addressing a more general problem, this doesn't change the fact that someone needs to shoot whoever designed "Avant Garde Thin".

• @topspin Nothing wrong with Avant Garde (other than its only purpose is to make its own logo look good 🔥

412c592c-7afd-422e-8109-4fbc6de3468d-image.png

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

IB output

I sincerely hope that my reading of that as “Irritable Bowel (Syndrome) output” is wrong. :do_not_want_nosir:

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra's will power, mostly.soul, what's left of it

possible correction.

It survived a technical rarity, Shirley it can handle this?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Dude you need to improve your reading skill and attention span

You need to learn how to spot jokes.

• Chibi-Robo: an adorable game published in 2005 about an adorable small robot that wanders around the house helping people... with not one, not two, but three (apparent) death scenes. None of which seem necessary to the plot.

Seriously Nintendo, are you just trying to make people sad for the sake of it? There's a whole sidequest where you help a toy dinosaur who's in love with a dancing flower who just became a father and is getting ready for a celebration (you know, the usual stuff), so obviously what you expect to happen next is that his kid walks up to him and he's not moving at all and apparently died for no reason and now everyone is crying.

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

you help a toy dinosaur who's in love with a dancing flower who just became a father and is getting ready for a celebration (you know, the usual stuff)

That's "usual" to you? :mlp_wut:

as an afterthought.

Oh. In other news, I ticked the checkbox for "Make Linux Build" and uploaded it to the Steam store. With no testing of literally any kind. After all, the game server seems to run fine on Linux, why not the full client???

If anyone wants to give it a shot (even if you don't give a fuck. Don't worry, I'll let you borrow mine) and provide feedback if it even attempts to launch, that would be cool.

Status: Who names their computer WINC-d3-3b? That doesn't look like the normal auto-gen name Windows shits up...

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

Chibi-Robo: an adorable game published in 2005 about an adorable small robot that wanders around the house helping people... with not one, not two, but three (apparent) death scenes. None of which seem necessary to the plot.

Seriously Nintendo, are you just trying to make people sad for the sake of it? There's a whole sidequest where you help a toy dinosaur who's in love with a dancing flower who just became a father and is getting ready for a celebration (you know, the usual stuff), so obviously what you expect to happen next is that his kid walks up to him and he's not moving at all and apparently died for no reason and now everyone is crying.

Have you happen to realize the existence of the entire Kirby series? Or something like Happy Tree Friends? It seems to be that :trwtf: is definitely on your side here

• Banned

@Zerosquare quoted in WTF Bites:

Fresh code gives file systems a /var-sectomy

It can't fork anymore?

• ♿ (Parody)

you help a toy dinosaur who's in love with a dancing flower who just became a father and is getting ready for a celebration (you know, the usual stuff)

That's "usual" to you? :mlp_wut:

@dkf said in WTF Bites: You need to learn how to spot jokes.

• ♿ (Parody)

as an afterthought.

Oh. In other news, I ticked the checkbox for "Make Linux Build" and uploaded it to the Steam store. With no testing of literally any kind. After all, the game server seems to run fine on Linux, why not the full client???

If anyone wants to give it a shot (even if you don't give a fuck. Don't worry, I'll let you borrow mine) and provide feedback if it even attempts to launch, that would be cool.

The Linux build doesn't seem to be available yet.

f79d8854-9baa-4a33-abae-e7b786116852-image.png

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

It's not a joke if you have to say it was when confronted.

He didn't have to say it to me. Seemed pretty obvious. C'mon, it was a poop joke!

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

with not one, not two, but three (apparent) death scenes. None of which seem necessary to the plot.

I guess you never watched the trailer for The Last of Us 2 then?

I don't know about other people growing up on this planet today, but I'd say that, for me, breaking little girl's elbows with a hammer isn't necessary to the plot either, and I cringe to even think how the mocap for that was recorded.

You know, there's a difference between survival horror and platformer for kids. Developers should keep in mind what genre/style/mood their product is in. Breaking boundaries may be fun, but doing it too hard, or being ignorant about it looks terrible.

Deponia is a great example [spoilers ahead]

It's a funny, wacky adventure game, light in tone, with likeable characters, set in a ridiculous cartoony world. Everything about it says "fun" - this mood is consistent throughout the game, and then at the end it's all ruined by a bad ending.

Creators defended this choice by saying stupid stuff like "life doesn't always give you a happy end" and "happy end would not be art", proving that they don't understand the genre.

Oh, they did this in sequels too, 4 times total. Four great games with four terrible endings, because some schmuck wants to be "an artist".

• Banned

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

Developers should keep in mind what genre/style/mood their product is in.

And reviewers should keep in mind what country the game is from. I know nothing about Japanese culture, but who knows, maybe these are perfectly appropriate themes for children over there?

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

It's a funny, wacky adventure game, light in tone, with likeable characters, set in a ridiculous cartoony world. Everything about it says "fun" - this mood is consistent throughout the game, and then at the end it's all ruined by a bad ending.>
    Well, I don't like downer endings either, but they've established very well that Rufus is the biggest failure the world has ever seen. The ending is just another part of the gag that runs throughout entire series.

@Gąska

His crazy inventions and plots are failing in spectacular ways, that's a running gag, yes. But his persuit of Deponia and (especially) Goal is the objective of the whole game. We/he do all this crazy stuff so that finally he succeeds - those are expectations built for entire game. And then, fizzle, nothing happens.

To put it in perspective of a different genre, it's like in fpp you would mow down 5000 enemies for tens of hours in many locations, all in persuit of a final boss. You finally get to his hq and... he's not there. He just left. No final battle. The end.

• Banned

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

His crazy inventions and plots are failing in spectacular ways, that's a running gag, yes.

And then, fizzle, nothing happens.

It wasn't really unexpected, if you ask me.

To put it in perspective of a different genre, it's like in fpp you would mow down 5000 enemies for tens of hours in many locations, all in persuit of a final boss. You finally get to his hq and... he's not there. He just left. No final battle. The end.

More appropriate analogy: imagine if in Super Mario, the princess wasn't in the 8th castle either. It certainly would be a bummer (and I wouldn't like it - just like I don't like Deponia's ending) - but after already having that happen 7 times before, could you really say it was unexpected?

• @MrL said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

with not one, not two, but three (apparent) death scenes. None of which seem necessary to the plot.

I guess you never watched the trailer for The Last of Us 2 then?

I don't know about other people growing up on this planet today, but I'd say that, for me, breaking little girl's elbows with a hammer isn't necessary to the plot either, and I cringe to even think how the mocap for that was recorded.

You know, there's a difference between survival horror and platformer for kids. Developers should keep in mind what genre/style/mood their product is in. Breaking boundaries may be fun, but doing it too hard, or being ignorant about it looks terrible.

It's a funny, wacky adventure game, light in tone, with likeable characters, set in a ridiculous cartoony world. Everything about it says "fun" - this mood is consistent throughout the game, and then at the end it's all ruined by a bad ending.

Creators defended this choice by saying stupid stuff like "life doesn't always give you a happy end" and "happy end would not be art", proving that they don't understand the genre.

Oh, they did this in sequels too, 4 times total. Four great games with four terrible endings, because some schmuck wants to be "an artist".

Just out of curiosity, have you ever played Eversion?

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

imagine if in Super Mario, the princess wasn't in the 8th castle either. It certainly would be a bummer ... but after already having that happen 7 times before, could you really say it was unexpected?

Yes. Being told affirmatively that the princess is in another castle implies that there does, in fact, exist a castle which the princess is in. If that castle isn't in the game, that would be a massive violation of expectations. (Especially for the time period!)

• Banned

@Mason_Wheeler said in WTF Bites:

imagine if in Super Mario, the princess wasn't in the 8th castle either. It certainly would be a bummer ... but after already having that happen 7 times before, could you really say it was unexpected?

Yes. Being told affirmatively that the princess is in another castle implies that there does, in fact, exist a castle which the princess is in. If that castle isn't in the game, that would be a massive violation of expectations. (Especially for the time period!)

In current time period, it's commonly known as sequel hook.

• @Mason_Wheeler said in WTF Bites:

subverting-expectations.gif