WTF Bites

• BINNED

@blakeyrat Okay you're right, maybe the gibberish was so incoherent I didn't even think of that.

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

edit: also, is "MS-Windows engine for GTK+" an optional component?

“engine”, in GTK+speek, means a theme. It will (try to) make it look (more) like native Windows applications. If you don't select it, it will look like fist on the eye—but will otherwise work normally.

• @timebandit said in WTF Bites:

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

The bigger problem is this bot is entirely incoherent.

It's trying to look human by replicating some drunk humans in this very forum 🍹

It needs to post embarrassing photos then...

• @bulb said in WTF Bites:

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

“engine”, in GTK+speek, means a theme.

Ok, now I found the WTF.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

Ok, now I found the WTF.

Yes, you did.

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

INI is a good format for user-facing config files,

If you're too fucking lazy to write a GUI.

Or if a GUI wouldn't be feasible.

• @bulb said in WTF Bites:

:wtf: I know what "engine" means. I know what "theme" means. They do not mean the same thing.

• Considered Harmful

Well, Russia spent millions on Facebook and Twitter spam bots that influenced the US election, so I'm surprised you haven't heard of that. Yeah it's a thing.

How the fuck do people still believe this shit?

• @hardwaregeek yeah, and even if it is called an "engine" internally to GTK+, that's no reason to call it that in the description. Because it's not an engine. It's a theme. Or a skin. The description is supposed to tell me what it is.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

Ok, now I found the WTF.

AmIRite?

• @hardwaregeek said in WTF Bites:

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

:wtf: I know what "engine" means. I know what "theme" means. They do not mean the same thing.

My theme wouldn't start, turns out I had bad gas.

@hardwaregeek yeah, and even if it is called an "engine" internally to GTK+, that's no reason to call it that in the description. Because it's not an engine. It's a theme. Or a skin. The description is supposed to tell me what it is.

Par for the course for someone who didn't think for five meters of gravelly road about what everyone else besides him calls such stuff.

It's on par with software written by engineers for engineers when your actual consumers are laypeople.

• @rhywden It's part for the course for software that defined, and still uses, the CADT development methodology.

• @rhywden said in WTF Bites:

@hardwaregeek yeah, and even if it is called an "engine" internally to GTK+, that's no reason to call it that in the description. Because it's not an engine. It's a theme. Or a skin. The description is supposed to tell me what it is.

Par for the course for someone who didn't think for five meters of gravelly road about what everyone else besides him calls such stuff.

It's on par with software written by engineers for engineers when your actual consumers are laypeople.

The term for this is nerdview. Engineers, both software and not, are notorious for it.

• Dupa

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

Holy fucking Christ! You got Pole'ed!

• Our ICT can't for the life of them get routing and DNS in the intranet work the way we asked them.

We requested a range of IP addresses and DNS names to be assigned to some virtual machines forming a test environment. Standard stuff, right. Well, first it started to work from the main branch, but not the other branch and not from VPN. Then they sent update for the VPN config, which got it to work, but not from the other branch. So they fixed it from the other branch, but broke DNS from VPN. And they never got the dual-address records (one name, two A records) to work at all.

Now, the reason seems to be that they have at least 10 different networks¹ with various firewalls and probably masquerades between them and using different DNS servers and the result is that only pig knows it.

¹ I can count at least 7: the main branch, two other branches, separate subnet connected to main customer, semi-public wireless, wireless connected to the main customer, some DMZ. There is probably more than one DMZ.

• Considered Harmful

Ah, the fun of WebAssign.
    https://i.imgur.com/JFeqVKP.png
    Every single question on this assignment is like this.
    That's not a :wtf:, but this is: It's been left on the default setting, which means I have five tries to complete each question.

• BINNED

@pie_flavor What's up with the random red coloring?

• Notification Spam Recipient

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@pie_flavor What's up with the random red coloring?

Indicates which numbers are random and which part of the template.

• Considered Harmful

@topspin @Tsaukpaetra got it. If I click it I can click a button which says Practice Another Version, and it'll be the same problem but with different red numbers.

• Considered Harmful

https://i.imgur.com/gBPszMq.png
    GOD FUCKING DAMMIT WINDOWS.
    I have NEVER changed this away from 'When PC wakes up from sleep'.
    I've practically taken it for granted that you change my telemetry settings out from under me when I update.
    But NEVER touch my security settings. Fuck!

Now I just need a setting "When should Windows show the lockscreen?" and have it set to "NEVER!!!"
    Because apparently Windows will still lock the screen despite the screen timeout being never and no screensaver and no password on the account and literally every setting I can think of to stop it (this is my VR machine, which is headless and of course does not work if the lockscreen is showing).

• So I got an email from my ISP a few days ago saying they'd sent my replacement modem, and giving me a tracking number to enter into another company's website. Since today was the first day in the estimated delivery range, I thought I'd see how far it had gotten.

I tried twice on my mobile, then twice on my desktop. Three attempts just gave me a flying airplane animation indefinitely; the other one gave me the animation for a couple of minutes and then said they couldn't find that consignment. Great work, tracking company.

However, I tried just now from work and got actual data, hooray. Now I just have to decide what to make of it.

Article status is "At Delivery Depot" with estimated arrival today. Nice, but... the last (and only) tracking event was "At Delivery Depot" status, date and time yesterday evening—and location Sydney, 4,000km away on the other side of the country. So I guess "Delivery Depot" is the one that they start from, not the one on the actual delivery end (or they just have one depot for all of Australia, in which case why even bother with that status); and I don't see it making it to me today, but hey, I won't complain if it does. Except that probably nobody will be home and my wife will have to go and collect it from the post office some time tomorrow.

I'll be glad when all this is over...

• Huh. I tried checking again and now it's showing a couple more scans, the most recent in my city almost two and a half hours before my previous post (and one an hour earlier). So I guess it takes a few hours for scans to show up in their database, or something? That doesn't seem in any way problematic for a tracking service...

• Considered Harmful

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Have you ever met Finns? The ones I know adhere to a binary process - either they don't drink at all. Or they drink all the things!

The fact that they have a word like "kalsarikännit" that has an accompanying National Emoji (putting it on a level of importance for Finnish culture similar to "sauna") and close to 3,000 hits on Youtube really says it all.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

I had bad gas.

TMI!

• @laoc said in WTF Bites:

The fact that they have a word like "kalsarikännit"

English does too. At least according to Google Translate, which translates it into a single word.

(the translation seems to be slightly off as it used the adjective, but if I understand it right, it should have used the present participle)

• @scarlet_manuka Anytime I am using package tracking, it seems that the tracking updates to show which cities it's been in ~1 day late, but updates to say that it's been delivered the morning of, when it leaves the facility -- before it's actually been dropped on my porch.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Guess what I did first thing right after activating that feature?

Bought an xBox?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

I've practically taken it for granted that you change my telemetry settings out from under me when I update.

Do you have one of those "live / dynamic" themes? Those tend to override all your timeout/lock settings everytime they load a new one.

• BINNED

@scarlet_manuka Anytime I am using package tracking, it seems that the tracking updates to show which cities it's been in ~1 day late, but updates to say that it's been delivered the morning of, when it leaves the facility -- before it's actually been dropped on my porch.

Same here, I have a feeling that it's some kind of scam tactic to game their metrics.
    I've had a package tracked as "delivered" while I wasn't even home, come back to see the "please pick it up here" notice in my mailbox and the tracking status magically changed to "could not reach customer, send to ...". Obviously without a trace of the previous claim of being already delivered.

• What thread were we talking about swallowing HTTP errors on?

Well, here's an example of what not to do (this from our lovely online gradebook software):

0_1525186349351_Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.50.50 AM.png

Note that the stack trace continues for multiple screen-heights after that.

• Considered Harmful

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

The fact that they have a word like "kalsarikännit"

English does too. At least according to Google Translate, which translates it into a single word.

(the translation seems to be slightly off as it used the adjective, but if I understand it right, it should have used the present participle)

That sounds like an entry a German would have added to Google Translate. English has a tendency not to run compound nouns together, especially when they're rare like this one that you're unlikely to find anywhere other than a translation from Finnish.
    To me it looks like "underwear drunks" would be a closer literal translation, but the meaning is rather something like "drunkennesses" that doesn't even exist in English.

Got this after receiving a message notification from Hipchat:
    0_1525191266485_Screenshot_20180501-090019.png

Um, I didn't enter a password, I clicked a notification.

Also, clicking next a few times )yes, the password is saved) gets me back in.

So WTF why did you show me this useless screen?

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Got this after receiving a message notification from Hipchat:
    0_1525191266485_Screenshot_20180501-090019.png

Um, I didn't enter a password, I clicked a notification.

Also, clicking next a few times )yes, the password is saved) gets me back in.

So WTF why did you show me this useless screen?

ERROR 504 OKAY

this is my VR machine, which is headless

Does. Not. Compute.

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

this is my VR machine, which is headless

Does. Not. Compute.

It's headless in the sense that it doesn't have a traditional monitor (because I don't have any DisplayPort monitors and the headset uses the only available HDMI port), keyboard, and mouse.

It's headless in the sense that it doesn't have a traditional monitor (because I don't have any DisplayPort monitors and the headset uses the only available HDMI port), keyboard, and mouse.

Well 1) you could buy one of those dirt-cheap USB monitors, and 2) I don't see how having to use a headset as a monitor somehow makes it "headless" or makes it impossible to unlock the screen.

1. you could buy one of those dirt-cheap USB monitors

Why?

1. I don't see how having to use a headset as a monitor somehow makes it "headless" or makes it impossible to unlock the screen.

If the screen is locked, the headset doesn't work at all. It's not a normal monitor after all, you don't see the normal desktop/lock screen through it whatsoever.

Also:

A headless system is a computer system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.

As I said. Should I repeat myself a third time?

Why?

Because it would solve your problem?

If the screen is locked, the headset doesn't work at all.

Well why the fuck not? Who designed that?

It's not a normal monitor after all, you don't see the normal desktop/lock screen through it whatsoever.

Again: why not? Why did they make that design decision? That's stupid.

As I said. Should I repeat myself a third time?

Yes, as many times as possible, trolling is hilarious.

• ♿ (Parody)

Why?

That's never been a valid reason for you to accept unsolicited advice.

So would not locking the screen in the first place, which is arguably the easier (and cheaper!) thing to do, no?

Well why the fuck not? Who designed that?

Windows. Would you be surprised to know that you also can't screenshare if the screen is locked? Crazy, I know.

Again: why not? Why did they make that design decision? That's stupid.

Because displaying the standard monitor desktop verbatim on the headset's screen would not work, for various reasons, and Windows has no built-in driver that goes "Hey, this is a VR headset that has two screens and you probably shouldn't use the corners and it also isn't exactly rectangular to the user and and and..."

Yes, as many times as possible, trolling is hilarious.

t has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.and mouse.ed to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.out a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.ut a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.ng "headless system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.issing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.ithout a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.or (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse. been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "headless system is a computer system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.), keyboard, and mouse. keyboard, and mouse.ystem is a computer system is a computer system is a computer system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.gured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.erate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse. operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse., and mouse.mputer system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "headless system is a computer system is a computer system is a computer system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.use."head"), keyboard, and mouse.adless system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.use.r system is a computer system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.e that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.e missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse. system is a computer system or device that has been configured to operate without a monitor (the missing "head"), keyboard, and mouse.s a computer system is a com

:trollface:

Windows has no built-in driver that goes "Hey, this is a VR headset that has two screens and you probably shouldn't use the corners and it also isn't exactly rectangular to the user and and and..."

Actually, come to think of it, Hololens does this for the boot screens, but that's a tightly-integrated display so maybe it has a dumb-display mode or something....

@benjamin-hall said in WTF Bites:

Note that the stack trace continues for multiple screen-heights after that.

JBoss inside Tomcat. Stack traces you could sink the Titanic in a few times over. Oh joy. Other EJB systems have similar issues (I've more experience with CXF on Spring as the container framework) and 99.9% of the time as a developer you don't need any of that beyond the first few lines of the innermost causal trace. Except when the method dispatch stack is what is going wrong, when you need the whole damn thing. :( Fortunately that's rare, especially once you've debugged everything. And I mostly prefer to use straight JDBC as that's less of a PITA once you want to get more carefully tuned queries in play.

<soapbox> 500 errors (and in fact the whole 5** family) should not be displayed to ordinary users, and certainly not from production systems. Why? Because there's literally nothing they can do with the information. Is Joe Ordinary User really going to be able to help you out with problems due to the database server being down? Thought not! Is the error out of the guts going to be able to reliably let you say more to them about how the service is degraded other than “stuff is broken; our fault, not yours”? Yes, put in place a mechanism for reporting the exceptions to developers and sysadmins through a separately-monitorable channel (possibly just the logs, or maybe additional ways too), but no, don't drop hundreds of lines of stack trace on someone who has no power over resolving anything and who doesn't understand any bit of it. </soapbox>

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

JBoss inside Tomcat. Stack traces you could sink the Titanic in a few times over. Oh joy. Other EJB systems have similar issues (I've more experience with CXF on Spring as the container framework) and 99.9% of the time as a developer you don't need any of that beyond the first few lines of the innermost causal trace.

I normally just search for my application's package hierarchy. Though sometimes the hibernate errors are useful.

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

I normally just search for my application's package hierarchy. Though sometimes the hibernate errors are useful.

Most of the time, like the 99.9% I said above, the interesting errors are those that have your application's packages in there. But that 0.1% that is the rest of the time is just awful and I've hit it in the past; the first time was shortly after I'd configured the application's logging framework to throw out all stack frames from the base upwards until it hit one of my classes — which of course there wasn't one of in this case — and so I ended up with an apparently empty stack trace that told me nothing at all. All my cleverness with logging was shortly afterwards thrown away for turning a fairly simple bug into something much less so…

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf Ah, yes, I don't throw any of it out, because I have had some where my stuff didn't appear at all. That usually comes down to something at the end of the page lifecycle where the framework is flushing to the DB and / or committing the transaction.

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

That usually comes down to something at the end of the page lifecycle where the framework is flushing to the DB and / or committing the transaction.

In my case, I think it was something deeply screwy with the dispatch handler not liking how I'd annotated the service classes with path decode information and ending up routing something unexpectedly to nowhere and choking on a null. Not a very significant error except that it manifested without a single one of my classes actually being on the stack at that point, causing my own smartass hack in the logger to throw the whole trace away.

• Considered Harmful

@lorne-kates said in WTF Bites:

Do you have one of those "live / dynamic" themes? Those tend to override all your timeout/lock settings everytime they load a new one.

Is that actually part of the themes? If so that's fucking retarded.
    And I don't think I do. My theme gets managed by Wallpaper Engine, and I haven't changed that from the Arstotzka flag animation in about half a year.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf Displaying a 503 to the user is very different from displaying the stack trace that resulted in the 503 to the user.
    Of course, if any 500-class error is being shown to the user without you explicitly causing it to happen, you're doing it wrong.