Infinite Flamewar

• Considered Harmful

Careful there sport, this guy is a bio grad student with CS pretensions... we got a badass in here...

I'm getting kinda tired of running him, tho. I thought, INT but no WIS? How? And I was into it awhile. But like, kinda thinking fuckit, at this point.

• Considered Harmful

Yeah, fuckit. Who wants to run @Fox? (drops dice, walks away muttering)

• @Fox said:

The best part is he still hasn't figured out how genetics works.

@Fox said:

since a male offspring almost always has his mother's X chromosome

A zygote without an X chromosome is missing genes necessary to properly develop, and will not survive until birth. As a result, all human males have an X chromosome from their mother.

@Fox said:

female offspring have a 50% chance of having her mother's X chromosome be the dominant one for the purposes of gene expression.

Which of her mother's X chromosomes, pray tell?

Now, can you tell me where to find the X chromosome in a bird? (Asked because you used the generic terminology "offspring" which can be reduced to apply to all animals)

Disclaimer: Since this is a genetics discussion, I am using purely biological terms. No trans* terminoligy permitted

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@abarker said:

A zygote without an X chromosome is missing genes necessary to properly develop, and will not survive until birth. As a result, all human males have an X chromosome from their mother.

But it's not always the same chromosome anymore, and it's not always the only one. That was my point.

@abarker said:

A random one.
    @abarker said:
    (Asked because you used the generic terminology "offspring" which can be reduced to apply to all animals)

Question ignored due to obvious trolling.

• @Polygeekery said:

How can that thread still be fun?

I dunno. I decided days ago that it wasn't fun for me any more.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

You've been missing out. But I am starting to wonder how long it will be before @Fox throws down his toys and stomps back to tumblr, because those people get him.

• Considered Harmful

Anybody find his xenobiological notes over there?

• @Polygeekery said:

You've been missing out.

Meh. If there's actual discussion, even angry discussion, of a topic I care about, I'll discuss it. But even back in the wild and woolly days of USENET in the '80s, I never found flaming for the sake of flaming to be entertaining.

• Considered Harmful

Fuck you, shithead. Flaming for the sake of flaming looks totally fucking different than what is happening in that fucking thread and you know it. Maybe if you'd pull your head out from .. eh oh. Hi.

I flame in the name of science.

I have to wonder what has been said in Turn Left about my thread of scum and villainy.

• @Fox said:

But it's not always the same chromosome anymore, and it's not always the only one. That was my point.

That's not what you said. You said:

@Fox said:

since a male offspring almost always has his mother's X chromosome

A person who doesn't have access to your mind would read that and conclude that you meant something along the lines of "99.999% of males has an X chromosome from their mothers. the other 0.001% of males don't have an X chromosome from their mothers." What you claim to have meant bears no resemblance to what you said, at least as determined by a reasonable non-psychic reader.

@Fox said:

@abarker said:

A random one.

And you got the trick question wrong! We were looking for something like, "A hybrid of the X chromosomes carried by the biological mother." If you were to take the X that the daughter received from the mother and compare it to each of the Xs that the mother had, you would find that neither was an identical match.

@Fox said:

@abarker said:
    (Asked because you used the generic terminology "offspring" which can be reduced to apply to all animals)

Question ignored due to obvious trolling.

If everyone did that, this forum would be very quiet. Spoilsport.

• @Polygeekery said:

I have to wonder what has been said in Turn Left about my thread of scum and villainy.

Only Turn Left? You don't think that such discussions might be occurring in the sacred halls of the Staff category?

@abarker said:

What you claim to have meant bears no resemblance to what you said, at least as determined by a reasonable non-psychicscientific reader.

FTFY, and I've already admitted to my mistake in that regard. My classmates would have understood my meaning immediately, and I probably could've written it in a scholarly journal article without question, too.

@abarker said:

And you got the trick question wrong! We were looking for something like, "A hybrid of the X chromosomes carried by the biological mother." If you were to take the X that the daughter received from the mother and compare it to each of the Xs that the mother had, you would find that neither was an identical match.

:rolleyes: An X chromosome formed by random recombination of her mother's X chromosomes. There. I even used the keyword an anal retentive professor would be skimming my test to see if he or she were to ask that question.

@abarker said:

If everyone did that, this forum would be very quiet. Spoilsport.

• @Fox said:

@abarker said:
    What you claim to have meant bears no resemblance to what you said, at least as determined by a reasonable non-psychicscientific reader.

FTFY

So you're claiming that someone with a bio background would immediately understand that "almost always" really means "always"? Or do you mean that they would have understood the "almost always" to refer to "the male offspring will always have an X from his mother except for the rare occurrences when he has more than one X from his mother"? If you meant the first, you really should omit the the "almost". If you meant the second, then there are a couple problems, foremost of which is that the multiple X chromosomes is really not implied at all by you said.

In any case, you were not clear. FTFY REJECTED, WROTE_WHAT_I_MEANT.

@Fox said:

I've already admitted to my mistake in that regard.

Must not have been in this thread. If it was in the other thread, I missed it as I have relegated it to normal. That thread has gotten tedious.

@Fox said:

My classmates would have understood my meaning immediately

1. We are not your classmates.
    2. Your classmates presumably knew you somewhat and let you get away with lazy shortcuts because they had some knowledge of your thought processes.
    3. We are a bunch of pedantic dickweeds who love picking at shit like this. If you can't take it, either be precise in what you write or GTFO.

@Fox said:

I probably could've written it in a scholarly journal article without question, too.

Bovine excrement. Someone would have surely gone :wtf: during peer review and told you to clarify that phrasing. If they didn't, then I weep for the state of the scholarly articles you read and aspire to publish in.

@abarker said:

Only Turn Left? You don't think that such discussions might be occurring in the sacred halls of the Staff category?

Touchë.

At least you are Doing Your Jobs ;)

@abarker said:

If you meant the second, then there are a couple problems, foremost of which is that the multiple X chromosomes is really not implied at all by you said.

No, I meant that they would have understood the "almost always has his mother's X chromosome" to refer to "the male offspring will always have an X from his mother with genes that are likely to be similar to the ones his sister has in one of her X chromosomes except for the rare occurrences when he has more than one X chromosome at all and the rare occurrences where the X chromosome he has from his mother is not similar to the one his sister has due to genetic mutations and chromosomal defects", which is implied by what I said. But, as you said,

@abarker said:

We are a bunch of pedantic dickweeds who love picking at shit like this

So I shouldn't be surprised that you focused on a single word and went pedantic dickweedy all over it because when you take it out of the context of the entire phrase it doesn't mean what you think it should mean anymore.

• Considered Harmful

Should it have been a different word? More scientists than psychics in here...

@Gribnit said:

Should it have been a different word? More scientists than psychics in here...

No, I should have worded the entire phrase more simply. But the word is accurate, when taken in context with the other words in the phrase.

• @Fox said:

No, I meant that they would have understood the "almost always has his mother's X chromosome" to refer to "the male offspring will always have an X from his mother with genes that are likely to be similar to the ones his sister has in one of her X chromosomes except for the rare occurrences when he has more than one X chromosome at all and the rare occurrences where the X chromosome he has from his mother is not similar to the one his sister has due to genetic mutations and chromosomal defects", which is implied by what I said.

No, what you claim to have meant is in no way implied by what you said. Unless this is another situation where you are redefining words and phrases.

@Fox said:

So I shouldn't be surprised that you focused on a single word and went pedantic dickweedy all over it because when you take it out of the context of the entire phrase it doesn't mean what you think it should mean anymore.

I didn't take it out of context. I very specifically analyzed it in context:

@abarker said:

A person who doesn't have access to your mind would read that and conclude that you meant something along the lines of "99.999% of males has an X chromosome from their mothers. the other 0.001% of males don't have an X chromosome from their mothers."

I can analyze the phrase again for you:

@Fox said:

a male offspring almost always has his mother's X chromosome

• a male offspring This is the subject of the phrase.
    • almost always This is a modifier.
    • has This is the verb of the phrase.
    • his mother's X chromosome This is the object of the phrase.

Let's start by taking the modifier out:

a male offspring has his mother's X chromosome

Ok, so a male gets an X chromosome from his mother. That's pretty clear. Now let's add that modifier back in:

a male offspring almost always has his mother's X chromosome

Now the phrase indicates that a male gets an X chromosome from his mother most of the time. This either means that the rest of the time the male doesn't get an X chromosome, or he gets it from his father. Neither of these grammatical deconstructions supports or even comes close to implying your claimed meaning.

@Fox said:

But the word is accurate, when taken in context with the other words in the phrase.

No. No it isn't.

Filed Under: English, do you speak it?
    Also Filed Under: Hijacking this thread and I'm not sorry

@abarker said:

This either means that the rest of the time the male doesn't get an X chromosome, or he gets it from his father.

Or, and here's the meaning that's actually in the realm of possibility, the male doesn't get the same X chromosome as the ones possessed by his mother.

• @Fox said:

@abarker said:
    This either means that the rest of the time the male doesn't get an X chromosome, or he gets it from his father.

Or, and here's the meaning that's actually in the realm of possibility, the male doesn't get the same X chromosome as the ones possessed by his mother.

The X literally came from her ovaries. It may not 100% match the genes on the X chromosomes in her left pinky (damn you mutations!), but it is still her X chromosome.

INB4 donated egg. We are talking about a biological mother, here.

@abarker said:

@Fox said:
    @abarker said:

The X literally came from her ovaries. It may not 100% match the genes on the X chromosomes in her left pinky (damn you mutations!), but it is still her X chromosome.

If the genes are different in some substantial way, it is no longer the same as her X chromosomes, or any recombinant product of them. That is what I was getting at. In the actual context of the phrase and of the sentence as a whole, it's implied that, usually, the genes on the one active X chromosome of a woman's male offspring have a fair chance of being the same as the genes on an X chromosome possessed by that same woman's female offspring.

• @Fox said:

If the genes are different in some substantial way, it is no longer the same as her X chromosomes, or any recombinant product of them.

Sail your Ship of Theseus back to your thread.

• Considered Harmful

@Fox said:

If the genes are different in some substantial way, it is no longer the same as her X chromosomes, or any recombinant product of them.

What the fuck X chromosomes do you think you get from a woman's ovaries other than some recombinant productvariation of her bleeding X chromosomes? Where the everloving Belgium are these genes being altered, then?

@Gribnit said:

Where the everloving ■■■■■■■ are these genes being altered, then?

Anywhere where transcription occurs between oocytogenesis and fetal growth.

• Considered Harmful

So, in the mother's ovary, then? from the time the egg cell is formed to the time of, what, blastula? implantation? IVF was already excluded. Get a fucking clue, man.

@Gribnit said:

So, in the mother's ovary, then? from the time the egg cell is formed to the time of, what, blastula? implantation? IVF was already excluded. Get a fucking clue, man.

Yes, such a scenario could occur at any point starting in the mother's ovary, after the stem cells have differentiated out from one cell.
    I don't recall the exact point at which the zygote develops to the point that there is more than one cell destined to develop into the brain, but that's the point at which the time frame for an X chromosome mutation to occur that could affect what appears to be the 'gay gene' ends.
    And you, please, kindly get a fucking clue. If there's a genetic mutation that affects that gene's presence or functionality, then, for the purposes of that gene, the X chromosome possessed by the son is different than the ones possessed by the mother and sister.

• Considered Harmful

So, he gets the chromosome from his mother, at which point, it no longer came from her, but at some point, it had changed, but, critically, before he got it. Thanks!

You still need to look into that fucking clue thing, guy.

@Gribnit said:

So, he gets the chromosome from his mother, at which point, it no longer came from her, but at some point, it had changed, but, critically, before he got it. Thanks!

I never said it never came from her. I said it's not the same as hers.

• Considered Harmful

On and off and in and out of context, this here is not the way to infinitude. Although it is possible to bodge a factual statement in dozens of ways, still it seems to be the case that either by polite or disrespectful unpicking, the discussion is likely to terminate.

Until somebody starts in with their personal dictionaryentire system of semiotics

• I thought this topic was for making fun of the flamewar, not the flamewar itself.

@Gribnit said:

You need to learn biology before bitching at me about how genetic mutations work.

• Considered Harmful

Fixing, sorry. Extracting the larnable from the unfortunate spill and trying to retrack.

• Considered Harmful

I already took a survey course back in college, I'm set to deal with you.

@Gribnit said:

I already took a survey course back in college, I'm set to deal with you.

You're really not. You took a survey course at some point in the early 20th century, I took an entire undergraduate degree plan which I completed less than six months ago. This isn't even a fair debate. Did they even know about epigenetics when you were in school?

• Considered Harmful

Well, it wouldn't be, if you were any good at actual debate, conversation, or the like. But you're so well handicapped by your ??? that I can take you in your wheelhouse.

But in any case, the you being a douche thread is :arrows:

@Gribnit said:

Well, it wouldn't be, if you were any good at actual debate, conversation, or the like. But you're so well handicapped by your ??? that I can take you in your wheelhouse.

By pointing at a single word that I said and saying "See, you're wrong about everything because I think you used the wrong word here". Yes, you got me. [spoiler][/sarcasm][/spoiler]

• Considered Harmful

Eh, well, here's the thing. You're out of the wheelhouse and trying to scrap, al-fucking-ready. And I can scrap the shit out of you, because I have no scruples and more experience. So fuck the fuck off.

@Gribnit said:

Eh, well, here's the thing. You're out of the wheelhouse and trying to scrap, al-fucking-ready. And I can scrap the shit out of you, because I have no scruplesknowledge of the subject at hand and more experience in putting my fingers in my ears and screaming "No, you're wrong!" incessantly. So fuck the fuck off.

FTFY

• Considered Harmful

Hi - you left the subject at hand when you decided to leave the realm of biology and try a spoiler sarcasm. So now my lack of knowledge is irrelevant, welcome to the ground fight.

Seriously though. You're a talent and a tyro in the field of infinite flaming but you don't seem to have any consciousness of doing so or even particularly why you do so, so the intended meta-tone of this thread is getting lost. I think you need to go back to :arrows: - I await your victory post, tho.

@Fox said:

Nah, I'm done with @Gribnit in this thread. I've succeeded in making him claim to be a mind reader too, and now I've got a gay meeting to attend so I'm heading off anyway.

Thank you for that. I absolutely and completely yield the field.

• @HardwareGeek said:

I thought this topic was for making fun of the flamewar, not the flamewar itself.

Seriously. Time to mute this one...

Nah, I'm done with @Gribnit in this thread. I've succeeded in making him claim to be a mind reader too, and now I've got a gay meeting to attend so I'm heading off anyway.

• Considered Harmful

What the fuck has been learned here.

So... does it require specific traits in participating individuals to produce a flamewar of infinite length, or can one be instigated, given a properly selected topic, in any population?

• @HardwareGeek said:

I dunno. I decided days ago that it wasn't fun for me any more.

I got about 300-400 posts in, back when that was about halfway. Now I don't think I can justify the time to wade through 3,000 posts about whatever the topic has difted to now...

• @HardwareGeek said:

I thought this topic was for making fun of the flamewar, not the flamewar itself.

If it's just 4,000 posts of this kind of bullshit, then it's going on mute... :boring.zzz:

• @Gribnit said:

fuck the fuck off.

This is a little bit better.

@HardwareGeek said:

This shit got real when I realized that SpectateSwamp had a gay son and that son thinks he is the foremost expert on all the things.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Polygeekery said:

How can that thread still be fun? It is really a turkey shoot at this point.

I've switched to mostly mindless trolling at this point. That's kinda fun. I'm going to wait 'til tomorrow to go back, though. There's ~150 unread for me currently, but BAC is high and bedtime is near.

@boomzilla said:

BAC is high and bedtime is near

I am about to go work on the first here in a moment. About to open a fresh bottle of Jack.