Already confused by the Windows 10 upgrade...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

You can't download it without a Facebook account, haha.

Nope--it asked for an email address, but said you didn't need to give one.

ETA :hanzo:

@delfinom said:

You can't disable automatic updates and other "helpful" features.

Gee, I wonder if taht's because....

@delfinom said:

users are dumb and they are treating them like sheep.

Why yes, yes it is. Use automatic updates.

@blakeyrat said:

I am retarded. I have an IQ in the single digits. Excuse me while I eat my own foot.

Remember, kids, everything blakey says is true!

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Hm. If you have the key burned into the firmware, a clean install of 10 should work no matter what system you are on.

It might have worked if I tried it, but it was lower risk to do it the way the FAQ says.

• @FrostCat said:

@delfinom said:
    You can't disable automatic updates and other "helpful" features.

Gee, I wonder if taht's because....

@delfinom said:

users are dumb and they are treating them like sheep.

Why yes, yes it is. Use automatic updates.

O yea, I totally want to have Windows restart on me while I'm doing work.

I also totally appreciate all the day 1 broken patches coming from driver vendors and Microsoft being forced into the system making it unusable.

Honestly the worst part is the forced updates include drivers. This can royally fuck over a system because many vendors are fucking awful at testing their shit long term. i.e. they'll release a new driver 2 years later that works with some new shit and breaks everything older.

• @blakeyrat said:

@delfinom said:
    WTF? Are you confusing the Like button with a login?

No, because I am not a retard.

It's a pretty fucking tiny font, but I put my face really close to the screen and saw:

If that sentence happened to be a fucking lie, well, then the page lied to me. But I read it correctly, so stop making it sound like I'm the idiot here.

EDIT: THE SAME SENTENCE IS IN THE SCREENSHOT YOU ADDED! MORON!

EDIT EDIT: It turns out the sentence is a lie. Well you can't blame me for the site lying to me.

Do you fall for these too?

• @delfinom said:

It gives you 72 hours notice!

That's THREE FULL DAYS!

THREE FULL DAYS!!!!!

If it reboots on you while you're working, it's your own goddamned fault.

@delfinom said:

Yeah, well, if you can't get it done after an entire day or two, like you get, too bad.

• I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the instructions on a download page (not an ad on the page with a fake download button or a fake site) for a legitimate tool actually need to be followed to download the tool.

"Please do X to continue your download" certainly implies that X is required to download the tool.

• @FrostCat said:

@delfinom said:

Yeah, well, if you can't get it done after an entire day or two, like you get, too bad.

The default option in Windows 10 is to restart on you without warning when it thinks you are not using it.

• I'm fine with that, but it would be nice if the "your computer was updated" notification went to some description of the updates instead of the "check for updates" page.

Wait, didn't Windows XP/IE6 have an update history built in? How did Microsoft manage to lose that feature? Or do I need to pay the $199 for the "pro" version to know what arbitrary code my computer installed?

• @delfinom said:

@FrostCat said:
    @delfinom said:

The default option in Windows 10 is to restart on you without warning when it thinks you are not using it.

Usually at 03:30am in the morning. 'tis a reasonable assumption. Not to mention that "we're waiting for three days" before doing that still applies.

And if you're working at that hour on a regular basis you are TRWTF.

@delfinom said:

After several days. Plus, if you lock your screen, it's right there in the corner. If you can't be bothered to watch for that about once a day--or, more realistically, once a month--then you kind of deserve to have Windows reboot out from under you.

I think I may--may--have had that happen to me once, in like the Vista time frame. Then I got over it, because if I'm at work I'm going to hit the lock screen half a dozen times a day, and if I'm at home I'm still gonna see it a couple times a day, and--at least about this--I'm not a big crybaby[1].

[1] Apologies to any actual crybabies I insulted just then. I fully support your disabilitydifferent-ability.

@ben_lubar said:

Wait, didn't Windows XP/IE6 have an update history built in?

• I like Microsoft's new "style" means lets get rid of clean sortable table and instead use paragraph lists!

• @ben_lubar said:

Wait, didn't Windows XP/IE6 have an update history built in? How did Microsoft manage to lose that feature? Or do I need to pay the $199 for the "pro" version to know what arbitrary code my computer installed?

If you get the Home version free, you can upgrade to Pro for only $99.

@delfinom said:

I like Microsoft's new "style" means lets get rid of clean sortable table and instead use paragraph lists!

They didn't like hearing Jeff say "oh, you're no mobile. That's different." Everything is mobile now. In 2016, PCs will come with wheels and a handle, like luggage.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Rhywden said:

I am.

The reboots are annoying, but it is just a registry setting to disable it and make it fuck off.

• @delfinom said:

I also totally appreciate all the day 1 broken patches coming from driver vendors and Microsoft being forced into the system making it unusable.

Honestly the worst part is the forced updates include drivers. This can royally fuck over a system because many vendors are fucking awful at testing their shit long term. i.e. they'll release a new driver 2 years later that works with some new shit and breaks everything older.

On my older laptop I had to use Windows 7's System Restore after I tried to install a WiFi driver update (marked Optional) from Windows Update that crashed the system on install. (Props to Microsoft though on making Windows create a restore point before any driver updates.)
    The Windows 10 upgrader tries to install that same driver unconditionally, so the Windows 10 install crashes with a BSOD and restores Windows 7 after a restart. (Again props to Microsoft for making the Windows 10 installer restore the original OS in case of any problem.)
    I'm not installing Windows 10 on my shiny new desktop computer either, until they fix their shit.

• So, whoever made your driver is evil Microsoft?

• Driver was made by Qualcomm Atheros whatever, but I blame Microsoft for allowing into Windows Update a driver that causes BSOD on install and renders the computer unusable until System Restore.

• Yep. WHQL certification used to mean something. Nowadays, not so much.

• I doubt they even know. While it's possible they test every possible configuration of every piece of hardware, software, and drivers available, something tells me they don't. They almost certainly leave getting the drivers right to the people who write them and design the hardware. Then too, the certification may have been done long ago when it worked, and the company has since abandoned updating it.

It's like the nVidia thing. They handed Microsoft drivers with the wrong version number and screwed everything up.

• @marczellm said:

but I blame Microsoft for allowing into Windows Update a driver that causes BSOD on install and renders the computer unusable until System Restore.

And people wanted Windows Update to be a general application update delivery channel. Now that would probably get them a nice bath in tar and feathers.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

Now that would probably get them a nice bath in tar and feathers.

Plus ANTITRUST!

• @Polygeekery said:

@Rhywden said:

I am.

The reboots are annoying, but it is just a registry setting to disable it and make it fuck off.

On a computer with a Home edition. How does the saying go: You get what you pay for.

And honestly, your special-snowflake case doesn't really make me care.

Seriously, if you're surprised by a reboot that's announced three days in advance...

• @flabdablet said:

Yep. WHQL certification used to mean something. Nowadays, not so much.

How true is that actually?

I mean, the first question I would like to ask: How many bugs can you find through automated testing alone? Certainly not all of them.

Secondly: How big a problem is this really? I mean, my Windows 7 nVidia drivers crashed on a regular basis for about a month on the latest four versions of the driver. Now it works fine - so for me, it has actually become better.

• FoxDev

@Rhywden said:

Seriously, if you're surprised by a reboot that's announced three days in advance...

So i have a Windows 8.1 VM that i use as a headless entry point into my home network point from remote. I rarely use it so it can be a more than three days between accesses, More than once i've logged in only to be greeted with the "it's been three days now i'ma going to reboot now to install updates, see you in an hour." NO! i needed to do something! could you not have rebooted at 0000 local when i was asleep!? or maybe let me say "i need 20 ninutes to do something, reboot for updates when i log off"

it's never been mission critical, but it has been annoying as fxxx

• And strangely enough, they do reboot now at a time of your choosing, with the default being 0330h.

I swear you guys sometimes have the annoying habit of accepting new information only piecewise. With everyone picking up a different piece.

• @accalia said:

i have a Windows 8.1 VM that i use as a headless entry point into my home network point from remote

Why on earth did you inflict that on yourself? How could Windows possibly fit that use case better than a minimal Debian install with sshd turned on?

• FoxDev

@flabdablet said:

@accalia said:
    i have a Windows 8.1 VM that i use as a headless entry point into my home network point from remote

Why on earth did you inflict that on yourself? How could Windows possibly fit that use case better than a minimal Debian install with sshd turned on?

work firewall blocks all remote ports except 80 and 443 unless specially whitelisted, and i already run a webserver with https at home so both those ports are taken.

i'm working off and on to get a docker image with working teamviewer so i can drop the windows VM and use docker instead, but it's slow going, mainly because i keep getting distracted by @SockBot

• @accalia said:

unless specially whitelisted

So find a whitelisted port and run your SSH server on that. I did that when I was in high school.

• FoxDev

@ben_lubar said:

So find a whitelisted port and run your SSH server on that. I did that when I was in high school.

that would be ports 80 and 443, unless the IP address/port is explicitly whitelisted

and i already run a webserver with HTTPS on my public IP.

i suppose i could write a demultiplexer to proxy http and ssh connections but.... ick!

• The problem is that the server sends the first packet for the SSH protocol and the client sends the first packet for the HTTP protocol.

• FoxDev

Not unsolvable, but very icky.

Also not going to bother.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@flabdablet said:

I solved this for myself by using an HTML5-based RDP package. Works great, and since it's designed to be run on a web server, I was able to easily add it to my own site installation (well, after figuring out how to forward websockets in NGINX, blech...).

Personally, if I'm remoting into my home network, it's most likely to babysit a Windows machine (sometimes I forget I have Linux machines that I can remote into 🚶), so using native (or native equivalent) methods of access is certainly a nice touch.

Technically, I also have an RDP Gateway, but I can't seem to install my own domain's authority cert on my work's domain computers... Silly admins! :wambulance:

• @Rhywden said:

Secondly: How big a problem is this really? I mean, my Windows 7 nVidia drivers crashed on a regular basis for about a month on the latest four versions of the driver. Now it works fine - so for me, it has actually become better.

The previous NVidia driver bug will make your compter reboot endlessly due to BugCheck if your computer has multiple monitor attached to it when it boots. There is simple cure that can be found online, but that's if you can get online in the beginning...

@accalia said:

i suppose i could write a demultiplexer to proxy http and ssh connections but....

Why? It's already a solved problem. Quite a few times actually...

http://www.pond-weed.com/multiplex/

• FoxDev

yeah i could do that... or i could swap the windows VM for a debain VM with xvfb and XFCE4 with Teamviewer and not worry about it.

• @Magus said:

I doubt they even know. While it's possible they test every possible configuration of every piece of hardware, software, and drivers available, something tells me they don't. They almost certainly leave getting the drivers right to the people who write them and design the hardware. Then too, the certification may have been done long ago when it worked, and the company has since abandoned updating it.

It's like the nVidia thing. They handed Microsoft drivers with the wrong version number and screwed everything up.

The problem is dipshits like Atheros release the driver update for new hardware and then proceed to specify it is still compatible with XYZ old hardware when they never fucking tested.