00011001 << 1       = 00110010
    10100010 & 00110010 = 00100010
    10100010 ^ 00110010 = 10010000
    00100010 << 1       = 01000100
    10010000 & 01000100 = 00000000
    10010000 ^ 01000100 = 11010100

Any questions?

• @xaade said:

You don't start teaching derivatives by coming into class and saying, "The derivative of x2 is 2xdx, and don't ask why."

I think my high school Calculus class mumble years ago more or less did that. I remember sitting in my first college Calculus class wondering, "Why are they teaching all this delta and epsilon stuff when there's a simple formula?" They were, of course, teaching us why the formula is what it is, which I hadn't learned in high school. At the time, as a teenager, I didn't see the usefulness in that.

• They taught both in my high school Calculus class. Maybe I just happened to get a good teacher.

• @xaade said:

Laws they encourage people not to read. Or even can hide from people reading them.

Even just them reading the laws before they vote on them would be an improvement. “But we have to pass the [health care] bill so that you can find out what’s in it....”

• @Onyx said:

You get called upon, do a year (or however long), get paid for your effort and get back to your job when done....
    Now flame away while I go off not caring about you explaining to me how stupid my idea was.

Not a stupid idea. AIUI, except for the bit about being called up, this is more or less what the founding fathers, at least some of them, had in mind. Someone successful enough to be able to afford to do so takes a few years out of their career to take a thankless and relatively low-paying job serving the public, then resumes their career. Unfortunately, over the last couple of centuries, that thankless, low-paying job has gradually become sufficiently high-paying and powerful to become a career in and of itself, and few people leave it voluntarily.

• @ben_lubar said:

They taught both in my high school Calculus class.

Maybe they did in mine, too, and I've just forgotten, but there was definitely much more emphasis on why in college. My high school Calculus class was more focused on using derivatives and integrals to calculate useful things like ballistic trajectories and areas under curves, with some explanation of why; the first semester of college was all about why, and less about practical uses.

• @xaade said:

I don't literally see color, but I do associate it.
    So for me, I think of 1, and think of yellow.

@TheCPUWizard said:

Black 0
    Brown 1
    Red 2
    Orange 3
    Yellow 4
    Green 5
    Blue 6
    Violet 7
    Gray 8
    White 9

I think of...

0 - Black
    1 - Blue
    2 - Green
    3 - Cyan
    4 - Red
    5 - Magenta
    6 - Brown
    7 - Light Gray
    8 - Dark Gray
    9 - Bright Blue
    10 - Bright Green
    11 - Bright Cyan
    12 - Bright Red
    13 - Bright Magenta
    14 - Yellow
    15 - White

That's right, default EGA palette, motherfuckers.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Groaner said:

That's right, default EGA palette, motherfuckers.

Filed under: Words I never thought I would read. Ever.

• @Groaner said:

0 - Black1 - Blue2 - Green3 - Cyan4 - Red5 - Magenta6 - Brown7 - Light Gray8 - Dark Gray9 - Bright Blue10 - Bright Green11 - Bright Cyan12 - Bright Red13 - Bright Magenta14 - Yellow15 - White

The Dwarf Fortress color palette?

• @Groaner said:

7 - Light Gray
    8 - Dark Gray

You have these two wrong. 7 is dark white and 8 is light black.

• @tar said:

Filed under: the fundamental problem with most political systems is that they're made of people.

Let's make sentient machines, then they can rule us. Problem solved.

• @Onyx said:

As I said, never gonna happen, but I can invent shit and act smart about it, yes?

And we can point out how batshit insane the plan is?

You'd need some way to determine who's good before you put them up to manage the whole damn country. Picking people out at random has a 99% likelihood of ending up as a total moron being the prime minister, since 99% of the population are total morons [citation needed].

The problem is always "how to determine who's competent, and who's going to determine that". "Everyone", as in democracy, is admittedly a shitty solution, but it works so far. "A random number generator" is not gonna improve that.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Maciejasjmj said:

"Everyone", as in democracy, is admittedly a shitty solution, but it works so far.

Indeed it has been said that democ­racy is the worst form of Gov­ern­ment except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time;
    [[citation]](https://richardlangworth.com/democracy-is-the-worst-system)

• @HardwareGeek said:

At the time, as a teenager, I didn't see the usefulness in that.

I took Calculus 3 times in college, never got better than a C, and I still don't see the usefulness in anything they taught. Mainly because none of the awful profs actually spend a single millisecond talking about real-world applications.

• Black 0
    White 1
    Red 2
    Cyan 3
    Violet 4
    Green 5
    Blue 6
    Yellow 7
    Orange 8
    Brown 9
    Lightred 10
    Grey 1 11
    Grey 2 12
    Lightgreen 13
    Lightblue 14
    Grey 3 15

Pasted from Excel so you get like 47 copies of it, due to this HIGH QUALITY FORUM PRODUCT!

• Nah...

0 - Black (Line at top and right sides))
    1 - White (Letter E)
    2 - Red (Pound symbol)
    3 - Cyan (Lower left half filled)
    4 - Violet (Kirby dots on left side)
    5 - Green (Arrow pointing up)
    6 - Blue (Arrow pointing left)
    7 - Yellow (Letter Pi)
    8 - Orange (Spade symbol)
    9 - Brown (Top left quarter of a circle)
    10 - Light Red (Big X)
    11 - Dark Grey (Complete circle)
    12 - Medium Grey (Club symbol)
    13 - Light Green (Vertical line near right side)
    14 - Light Blue (Diamond symbol)
    15 - Light Grey (Large cross)

Of course if you press C= and Shift at the same time, everything changes and then you're on your own.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said:

“But we have to pass the [health care] bill so that you can find out what’s in it....”

TRWTF is that she wasn't laughed out of Congress for saying that.

• I'm not going to say which game it was, but I recently played a game that touched that concept and it didn't have a happy ending.

• ♿ (Parody)

@ben_lubar said:

I'm not going to say which game it was, but I recently played a game that touched that concept and it didn't have a happy ending.

So you won?

• I'm not quite sure. It played a cutscene and put me back at the main menu and when I loaded the save again it was before that last bit.

• Maybe you got the Bad End?

• FoxDev

some games just have a savepoint there so you can easily see the different outcomes of tyour last choice (see DeusEx HR)

• I doubt it. The narration called me "selfless", so I assume I did the "right" thing.

• @abarker said:

No, this is "Common Core". Supposedly, they are teaching kids the "shortcuts" instead of just teaching them arithmetic facts. The idea is that the kids first figure out how to get to the next multiple of ten, then add everything together because it's "easier".

260 more posts!! I'm not hacking through all that, so...

pre-apologies if this has been addressed and you all have moved on.

Yep. This looks like how my kids are being taught math under common core. To be fair it pre-dates common core, but it does seem worse now.

They never ever mastered their "times tables" (as we called them).

My youngest is super-literal, so he still goes through all the intermediate steps - 2x9 is 2x10=20-2=18. He's fairly accurate, but oh so slow.

I hoped he would just get faster with repetition, but now they're doing long division, and you just have to be able to do work through the possible multipliers a lot faster.

So - back to good old multiplication flash cards - it is agony to listen to him work through all these weird steps...

6x8 is is...it's just 48! EVERY TIME! Memorize it, please...

He's getting better with practice at least.

"I now return you to other people's rants - thank you for your time."

EDIT: added point that kids are currently under common-core, although this topic mostly applies only to my youngest.

• @ben_lubar said:

I doubt it. The narration called me "selfless", so I assume I did the "right" thing.

Hmm were you playing Fallout 3, but without the Broken Steel expansion pack which "fixes" the ending?

• I was playing this game, which I believe shouldn't have that problem. But it does, so I dunno what happened.

• So you went to the [spoiler]water-uh-place-i-can't remember-the-name-of, where your dad dies, and did the password thing and then just dropped dead[/spoiler] and that was game over? You didn't [spoiler]wake up back in the Pentagon[/spoiler] with a few more levels to go?

More to the point, did you level-cap at 20 or 30?

• @tar said:

and that was game over?

Well, there was a slideshow with a narrator, and he said "war. war never changes." like he did at the beginning and then it went to the main menu.

• @antiquarian said:

TRWTF is that she wasn't laughed out of Congress for saying that.

To be fair (and of all the people to whom I'd like to be fair, Nancy Pelosi is pretty damn near the bottom of my list), the article I read put that in a context in which it makes some sense. (Whether she actually meant it within that context, or whether she wrapped the context around it later to defend herself is a question to which I don't know the answer.)

At the time she said that, the House had passed a version of the bill, but the Senate hadn't yet passed anything. What she (claims to have) meant was that there was no way to know what would come out of the Conference Committee to resolve the differences between the House and Senate versions until the Senate actually sent them a version to resolve.

• Yeah, Broken Steel ain't installed. I think you can install it and then play your last save again and it'll magically fix everything, but hey, I'm not a Bethesda support tech, so...

• How'd I manage to install the game without most of its content?

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

What she (claims to have) meant

Yeah, about the only way she's correct is by accident.

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said:

How'd I manage to install the game without most of its content?

You didn't play many Bethesda games, have you?

Filed under: TCL

• @blakeyrat said:

I still don't see the usefulness in anything they taught.

Well, it was not only useful but absolutely necessary in getting an EE degree. I used it a lot in subsequent classes. Hardly ever since I've gotten out of school, though, because I specialized in digital stuff. If I'd done analog, or even DSP, I'd use it.

• ♿ (Parody)

This came on Pandora and I LOL'd:

http://youtu.be/UIKGV2cTgqA

• BINNED

I object to his objections to base 8! I use base 8 arithmetic a lot when chmoding stuff. You have to take away those write bits and all that gu...

chmod -w

Oh. Right. Carry on.

Filed under: Seriously though, working in other bases can be useful, But not in first grade!

• And if I had been in an EE degree program, maybe it would have been fucking useful!

But I wasn't and it wasn't.

@blakeyrat said:

It depends on exactly what sort of programming you're doing. Nearly anything even vaguely related to science will probably end up touching on calculus, as will other things like writing a physics engine for a game, or working at the sharper end of finance.

Making data entry and reporting applications… won't need much math at all.

• @dkf said:

It depends on exactly what sort of programming you're doing.

THIS IS PRETTY MUCH MY EXACT Argume-- oh fuck it.

• Bear in mind that Lehrer did "New Math" in 1965. So when he says:

if you're under 35 or went to a private school, you say seven from three is six, but if you're over 35 and went to a public school, you say eight from four is six

You have to change under/over 35 to read under/over 85.

Kudos to Professor L, though, for changing the conjunction on the conditions in accordance with de Morgan's law....

• @blakeyrat said:

And if I had been in an EE degree program, maybe it would have been fucking useful!

So you wanted me to infer that you meant ...

@blakeyrat said:

I still don't see the usefulness to me in anything they taught.

I see...

• @Onyx said:

working in other bases can be useful

Obviously.

@Onyx said:

But not in first grade!
    I don't remember when my dad started teaching me about other bases. Not first grade; maybe fourth, or thereabouts. Definitely years ahead of my peers. I vaguely recall doing some homework in non-decimal bases, because I could; I think I was a bit of a challenge to my teachers. 😆

• @dkf said:

working at the sharper end of finance

That sounds painful. 😄

@dkf said:

writing a physics engine for a game
    I think there's a smidgen of calculus under the hood of KSP, even if the player doesn't need to know it.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said:

I don't remember when my dad started teaching me about other bases. Not first grade; maybe fourth, or thereabouts. Definitely years ahead of my peers. I vaguely recall doing some homework in non-decimal bases, because I could; I think I was a bit of a challenge to my teachers.

You're on TDWTF. You're weird :P

• @Onyx said:

You're on TDWTF. You're weird :P

Do you think I am unaware of this? 😆

• @Polygeekery said:

Filed under: Words I never thought I would read. Ever.

You'd be surprised what even a short stay on /g/ can do to one's psyche.

"EMM386.EXE, motherfucker, do you use it?"

• kills Dumbledore

@da_Doctah said:

if you're under 35 or went to a private school, you say seven from three is six, but if you're over 35 and went to a public school, you say eight from four is six

Seven from three is -4, eight from four is -4. I have no idea how you'd get 6 from either of those

@Jaloopa said:

Seven from three is -4, eight from four is -4. I have no idea how you'd get 6 from either of those

Work in the mod 10 domain.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said:

It's what you might call implicit borrowing. It's what I'd call it, anyways.

What's interesting to me is that the old vs new of that song (from 1965, as @da_Doctah mentioned...I was aware of the time frame, but didn't bother mentioning it) are different but still pretty comparable. Not at all like the difference of Common Core vs either of those methods.

Though I'm sure CC would be better as a Tom Lehrer song than something anyone actually tried to teach kids.

• @HardwareGeek said:

I don't remember when my dad started teaching me about other bases. Not first grade; maybe fourth, or thereabouts.

Somewhere around fourth non-decimal bases were part of our studies.

I don't know if they thought this was the best way for to understand arithmetic.

Or were they thinking about computer-literacy but thought that everybody would need to use Octal.

They didn't teach Hexadecimal, but if I recall, we did do some stuff with a small non-numeric "alphabet"[1] with an ordering..

[1] by analogy, is that an "unidue"... ?

I'm never sure about this stuff - it's all Greek to me.