The thread of movie titles and absence of badges. In previous episodes, it was signs you're getting older, chiropractic vs. medicine, atheism vs. Mormonism and religion vs. science with no existentialism nor philosophy thrown in

• Did they hit on the 14 year old freshmen?

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

That would seem to be one of those things where the obvious answer is, "If it hurts, don't do that."

It's a trade off. And it doesn't so much hurt as just obviously less flexible than the other hip.

• Sure you didn't pull/tear the muscles/tendons around the joint.
    That takes a long ass time to heal, and even longer as you get older.

That and you could have a backbone problem. A slip disk in the back can cause pain and loss of flexibility in the hip. That's my problem.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said:

Sure you didn't pull/tear the muscles/tendons around the joint.

It's possible.

@xaade said:

That and you could have a backbone problem. A slip disk in the back can cause pain and loss of flexibility in the hip.

I doubt this is my problem. Seems like that would cause other problems that I would notice. Is it just in one hip?

• I get pain in my leg on the same side as well.
    But I go to the chiropractor, and I know other people that go that only get pain in their hip.

When my pain first started, it was acute and very localized. So much so that I thought I had a blood clot in my leg.

• @xaade said:

I get pain in my leg on the same side as well.But I go to the chiropractor, and I know other people that go that only get pain in their hip.

When my pain first started, it was acute and very localized. So much so that I thought I had a blood clot in my leg.

Also, potentially IT-band and/or sciatica, which can give you pain anywhere from the side of the knee to all the way to your lower back.

EDIT: added "anywhere...from...to"

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said:

When my pain first started, it was acute and very localized.

Yeah, I wouldn't describe mine as pain (unless I force it to do stuff I can do with the other hip), just a slight amount of reduced mobility compared to the other. I'm pretty flexible (way more flexible than you'd think if you looked at me). And this is doing stuff like stretching to the point where my foot is at / near head level.

• @xaade said:

That and you could have a backbone problem

If you're not into chiropractic, you'd be surprised what kinds of issues stem from back problems. I sometimes have issues with my arms, they get painful, cold, and a bit weak. It's actually because I have a couple ribs which sometimes pop slightly out-of-joint in my back and cause pinched nerves. Takes the chiropractor all of 30 seconds to fix, at least for a while.

• @ijij said:

Also, potentially IT-band and/or sciatica, which can give you pain

IT certainly can be painful. ;)

• I could put both my feet behind my head, until I got this problem. Now I can only put the other foot behind my head.

And besides, a chiropractor or neurologist could identify either problem. So it's worth looking into.

If the problem is caused by degeneration, there could be a malformation in the spine or hip. Which means the sooner you get an x-ray, the sooner you can prevent more damage in the future.

• ♿ (Parody)

@mott555 said:

If you're not into chiropractic, you'd be surprised what kinds of issues stem from back problems.

+䉓

I go about once a month.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

I could sell you guys some snake oil that would fix you right up... ;)

• I have to go at minimum once every two weeks.
    It's best if I make it once a week.

After the two week mark, I'll start to experience pain that makes driving so bad I cry.

• kills Dumbledore

• When I first visited a chiropractor, he took an X-ray and when reviewing it the first thing he said to me was "You've been in a car accident and didn't report it on your medical history." And he was correct, because I was like 6 years old at the time and didn't think it had anything to do with back pain that started when I was in my early 20's, which by the way regular chiropractic visits definitely manage.

There are some chiropractors that are quacks and say dumb stuff like chiropractic cures cancer and prevents the flu, but otherwise it's a very real thing.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Yes, although there are times and places in history in which marriage in the mid-teens would have been the norm. In late 20th-century USA, bad judgement.

Marriage and having (a) kid(s) are not necessarily correlated...

• ♿ (Parody)

@Polygeekery said:

I could sell you guys some snake oil that would fix you right up.

Mmmmm....doubtful. Unless it makes me fix my posture.

• The problem with that article is that it presents a false dilemma concerns the professionals who practice chiropracty.

Just because they believe that a better posture produces better health, doesn't mean that they think all bad health is a result of a backbone problem, or should only be addressed by fixing a backbone problem.

It's like taking vitamins. You don't take more vitamins when you're sick, but taking vitamins can reduce the sickness in your life.

I can assure you that if I don't go, I have problems. If I do go, I don't have problems. Unless there's some kind of incredible placebo affect that dulling my sciatic nerve, I doubt it's all pseudo-science.

I can also assure you that if someone's neck creates a forward arch for too long, they WILL get arthritis in their neck. We can also see degeneration in people that exhibit poor posture over their lifetime, that results in a greater need for assistance in moving at an elderly age.

And if this was all just pseudo science, why is it that every professional sport has a physical care person on the team, and why are they skilled in massage and sometimes chiropractic care.

@xaade said:

It's like taking vitamins. You don't take more vitamins when you're sick, but taking vitamins can reduce the sickness in your life.

And yet, most studies show that those who take vitamins are literally piss in money away...

• I think it's all situational. Most people probably don't need vitamins. If they do, they likely only need one or two and not the multivitamins which are packed with 5000% of your daily value in 25 different things.

Me personally, I need Vitamin B and magnesium. There are real effects if I don't take those for a while. Most people probably don't need it and would be literally pissing money away if they took them.

• I am of the opinion that if you think something is improving your health, and it's not ruinously expensive, then you should keep doing it. Even if you're just buying fancy placebos, it's often enough that you [i]think[/i] you feel better tricks your body into actually feeling better.

No opinion on chiropractic, but I do get the occasional upper body massage. It's certainly not making me feel any [i]worse[/i]...

• @boomzilla said:

This makes me sad every time someone says this.

Why? Some of us aren't exactly good parental material and this is part of the reason we don't want kids.

• ♿ (Parody)

@locallunatic said:

Why? Some of us aren't exactly good parental material and this is part of the reason we don't want kids.

Why shouldn't any of that make me sad? Not having kids (for whatever reason) always seems a bit tragic to me.

• @mott555 said:

When I first visited a chiropractor, he took an X-ray and when reviewing it the first thing he said to me was "You've been in a car accident and didn't report it on your medical history." And he was correct, because I was like 6 years old at the time and didn't think it had anything to do with back pain that started when I was in my early 20's, which by the way regular chiropractic visits definitely manage.

There are some chiropractors that are quacks and say dumb stuff like chiropractic cures cancer and prevents the flu, but otherwise it's a very real thing.

I think I've read this exact post somewhere else ...

Well, close. But last time, the accident happened when you were 7. ;)

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/conservapedia-the-funniest-site-in-the-world/2655/140?u=abarker

• @OffByOne said:

Marriage and having (a) kid(s) are not necessarily correlated.

Marriage and children do not necessarily have a causal relationship. I don't have any real data, but historically the correlation is fairly high. Most marriages result in children, and some children conceived out of wedlock result in marriages. Certainly there are many children that are not associated with a marriage, but most are. If I had to guess, I'd say the correlation is probably in the 70-80% range.

That's weird. I started this reply, hit a wrong key, and it disappeared. Not collapsed. No "You have a post in progress," or anything. So I reluctantly started a new reply, and the editor opened with the reply completely intact. So that's good, I guess, but why did it vanish with no apparent trace in the first place? (Rhetorical question)

...And it get a "Reply here/Reply on original topic undefined" pop-up.

• @abarker said:

But last time, the accident happened when you were 7.

6.5 ± 0.5?

• @boomzilla said:

Why shouldn't any of that make me sad?

Cause of what the alternative is?

• ♿ (Parody)

@locallunatic said:

Cause of what the alternative is?

Um...I guess?

• I just need to tell the story a few more times and then the accident will have happened before I was born! So I'll never have had the accident.

Kind of like that Enterprise episode where killing Archer's brain worms in the future fixed the past.

@tar said:

No opinion on chiropractic, but I do get the occasional upper body massage.

Do you spring for the happy ending? That might be the reason.

Seriously though, massage helps tons. I am not sure if it helps anything medically in the long-term, but short term you feel tons better and more relaxed. That can be scientifically proven.

Bone crackers are quacks in my book. They think their craft is a panacea. Mostly they are just good salespeople.

• @Polygeekery said:

They think their craft is a panacea.

Anyone who does that is a quack. The good chiropractors limit their pitch to what they know their stuff works on.

• @Polygeekery said:

My spine is demonstrably more straight then when I started, and I have less pain.

How can it be all bad if I can show my posture improving?

Surely you can't think posture and backbone alignment do nothing to affect your health?

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

Surely you can't think posture and backbone alignment do nothing to affect your health?

i think the comment was more aimed at those that think it's a cure all.

chiropractors can make a positive difference, but how much depends a lot on initial conditions. sometimes they can help and sometimes the issue is beyond their practice (think muscle/organ pain. having your back cracked will likely not make any improvement because that wasn't the source of the pain.)

EDIT: oooh. you were commenting to @Polygeekery not @tarunik...... oops. well my statement still kinda stands. it's a lot more wobbly now though.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Polygeekery said:

Bone crackers are quacks in my book. They think their craft is a panacea. Mostly they are just good salespeople.

I've never encountered one of those. But the few I've been to have helped me with stuff like back and neck pain.

• I understand.

However, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that a severely degraded back can affect other parts of the body, like organ function.

Now, I'm not in the camp that if you have colon cancer, it will clear up if you fix your back. But I do think that if there is an unknown cause, it may be that fucked up back. And even if the cause is known, the back could be compounding the problem. For muscle pain, posture does matter alot. Bad posture could put unbalanced weight, increasing strain. The most common problem being that people have let their abdomen lax from sitting so much, so they aren't used to contracting it to help them stand. Thus the back gets too much strain.

EDIT: Yeah, I misclicked the wrong reply button.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

However, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that a severely degraded back can affect other parts of the body, like organ function.

(edited above. i though you were talking to tarunic)

completely agree. the back, and indeed many other chiropractic issues can cause some REALLY bizzare symptoms.

@xaade said:

Now, I'm not in the camp that if you have colon cancer, it will clear up if you fix your back. But I do think that if there is an unknown cause, it may be that fucked up back. And even if the cause is known, the back could be compounding the problem.

also agree. In most cases chiropracty is most effective in combination with other medical treatments.... except when it isn't.

medicine is hard people! that's why i went into CompSci!

• You know you're old when one of your conversation topics is your different illnesses and not your injuries/scars.

@boomzilla said:

Why shouldn't any of that make me sad? Not having kids (for whatever reason) always seems a bit tragic to me.

Agreed. My son amazes me on a daily basis. The speed at which they learn and develop is simply staggering. Although, those first 3-6 months you may as well have a turtle.

@tarunik said:

The good chiropractors limit their pitch to what they know their stuff works on.

Which is? Chiropractors traditionally do nothing that could actually help with anything. In fairness, I have known one "chiropractor" that was not a quack. He did not really do adjustments, etc. He worked more on getting people to change their posture, exercises and ergonomics. He did a lot of consultation with offices in changing how people work, improving work posture, that kind of stuff. I have no doubt that he likely helped people. If he had been a back cracker, I would call him a quack.

Chiropractors are still lumped in the category of "alternative medicine". Do you know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? They just call it "medicine".

Do a little reading about the founder of chiropractic care:

He was originally a "magnetic healer". Which is to say, he was a snake oil salesman of the worst degree. This entire field of alternative medicine was started by an outright quack.

Then go on to read the Wikipedia article about the controversy surrounding chiropractic quacks:

Most of them are as crooked as vacuum salesmen, and roughly as moral. The entire trade (I refuse to call it a profession) is just shrouded in pseudo-science. I have little doubt that people feel better after seeing one of those quacks, but I also know that placebo can be a powerful force. It doesn't mean that they actually did anything but drain your bank account a little bit.

Not jumping down your throat @tarunik, you were just conveniently there when I went to reply. ;)

• @Polygeekery said:

but I also know that placebo can be a powerful force.

Sorry, but it ain't a placebo when the chiropractor pops one of my ribs and my left arm magically becomes stronger and not in pain anymore, or when a chiropractor is able to diagnose a car accident from 15 years prior via X-Ray and then show me a new X-Ray a year later where my spine is visibly less messed up.

D.D. Palmer was at least 75% quack though.

• This post is deleted!

• At my then-wife's urging, I saw a chiropractor for a while. He was a personal friend, so I'm reluctant to call him a quack, but his treatments never did me any noticeable good; I didn't even feel better afterward. He also promoted dubious nutritional products and some expensive bottled water. (I thought it was SmartWater, but googling that doesn't result in what I remember; this stuff was supposedly beneficial because it had extra oxygen dissolved in it, or something.)

Make of that what you will. Presumably he's not a friend of any of you, so I won't be offended if you choose to attach a pejorative label to his practices.

• Back on the original topic of aging, how could I forget glasses, in particular bifocals.

I never needed glasses at all until about 10 years, or so, ago. (When I was a kid, I was the smarta** who, when asked to read the bottom line of the eye chart, would read "Copyright Acme Eye Chart Co.") About 10 years ago my arms started getting too short. My distance vision was fine, but I needed help for reading, so I got glasses.

Since I only needed them for reading, I'd put them on to, for example, write a check at the store1, then take them off and forget them. That got expensive, so I wound up getting bifocals that I could wear all the time — except for using the computer; that requires holding my head at an uncomfortable angle to focus on the monitor, so I have multiple pairs2 of cheap drug-store reading glasses to wear when I'm on the computer.

TL;DR: Bifocals are old-man glasses.

1 Yes, within the last 10 years. I'd gladly have gone to plastic (debit, not credit), but for a long time my wife was unwilling to give up the paper record of duplicate checks.

2 One for home, one for work, a spare in case I forget, etc., not wearing multiple pairs at the same time.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Signs you are getting older...
    ... you make a topic about it

• ♿ (Parody)

@Polygeekery said:

Most of them are as crooked as vacuum salesmen, and roughly as moral.

I've only read about crooked ones and never encountered one. I've personally seen (as a patient)...err...7 chiropractors, I think.

@Polygeekery said:

I have little doubt that people feel better after seeing one of those quacks, but I also know that placebo can be a powerful force. It doesn't mean that they actually did anything but drain your bank account a little bit.

You never crack your neck or your back? The concept of joints getting out of kilter and pinching nerves seems pretty sane to me, and not having splitting headaches every day, or back aches or a stiff neck is pretty cool.

• @loopback0 said:

Signs you are getting older...

... you make a topic about it

You read or* participate in a topic about it.

* INB4 comments about and/or. This is not XOR.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@abarker said:

You read or* participate in a topic about it.

Indeed.
    My hairline is receding. I picked my last car largely on size of boot and how economical it is. I'm only 9ish days into being 29 and I've already accepted getting old.

• @loopback0 said:

I'm only 9ish days into being 29

Bappy Hirthday, 9 discodays late.

I, too, recently non-celebrated ++age, but I'm not going to say just when nor how many.

• I have a friend who is a chiropractor. He is also a fully licensed family practice M.D. You can't tell me all chiropractors are frauds.

• @HardwareGeek said:

++age

By the time this year is out, I will be 4 decades old... :<asdf>/

• @tar said:

By the time this year is out, I will be 4 decades old... :/

You kids these days, sheesh.