Sony's e-ink smartwatch



  • Sony's working on a smartwatch using an e-ink display.

    This is at least a step in the right direction for getting a smartwatch I might be interested in, but there aren't many details yet.



  • Meanwhile, the Pebble is already a product that exists.



  • @hungrier said:

    Meanwhile, the Pebble is already a product that exists.

    This website just gave me cancer....hardly any information but 8234239561945234 vertical pixels of space to do so.



  • @mott555 said:

    https://getpebble.com/

    That is a lot more content-free than I remember it being.

    Anyway the salient point is the low-power e-ink display. That 7-day battery life is not an exaggeration; I charge mine weekly.



  • I'm really not terribly interested in a smartwatch, but it is nice to see at least a couple groups now going for simpler designs which might appeal to those of us who don't care.


  • SockDev

    I can pretty much guarantee I won't be getting a smartwatch. Not because I don't think they're any good, they certainly have the potential. It's because I have a WinPhone (stop laughing), and apart from the clunky fitness-obsessed Band, no smartwatch works with it. Not that I know of, anyway.



  • I stopped wearing a watch when I got a cellphone, I see no reason to ever wear one again.

    Maybe a fitness band.



  • I agree with @Blakeyrat on this one



  • I just can't conceive of a situation in which I need to know the time SO immediately that the 3-5 seconds it takes me to remove my phone from my pocket are critical.

    ... and if I were in that situation, like if I was manually timing a rocket burn or something, I'd probably have specialized equipment for it.



  • Sure you don't need it, and it may not be worth the price, but it's nice to have.



  • Meh. People are too obsessed with time already. If I'm within 10 minutes or so, I call it good.



  • I'd say the biggest practical benefit for me has been the notification functionality. If I'm walking with my phone on vibrate and listening to music (on a standalone music player, yes I am TRWTF), I may not feel the vibration in my pocket when I get a call, but when the thing on my wrist vibrates, it grabs my attention right away.



  • People are too obsessed with answering phones, too. Embrace the slack. Voicemail is a thing.



  • I guess it's habit more than anything, I feel naked without a watch. Also my watch has like 6+ years of battery life and my phone doesn't, so it's completely hassle-free.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    This is one of those rare occasions when @blakeyrat and I are on the same wavelength. I have no desire for a watch, smart or otherwise. If I need to know the time, I pull out my phone and a smartphone is a prerequisite for a smartwatch, so I am just cutting out the middleman and the fluff.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Embrace the slack. Voicemail is a thing.

    Embrace the slack. Don't even bother setting up your voicemail. Text messages are a thing.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @mott555 said:

    This website just gave me cancer

    Ugh...a "solve climate change" link that leads to....Greenpeace? Fuck that noise.



  • I have 3 clocks on me without a watch.







  • @chubertdev said:

    I have 3 clocks on me without a watch.

    I have the Coldplay song on my MP3 player. Unlike a stopped clock, it's not even right twice a day.


    Filed under: [Yes, I linked to the Wikipedia page][2]


  • @mott555 said:

    This website just gave me cancer....hardly any information but 8234239561945234 vertical pixels of space to do so.

    It's responsive web design. Have a 360px width site, with <centre> applied, for all browsers....


  • area_deu

    My buses and trains have a tight schedule so having the time immediately visible is useful.
    And watches can be really pretty!



  • @aliceif said:

    And watches can be really pretty!

    But smart watches don't seem to fall in that category for now



  • @PJH said:

    <centre> applied

    Ya Brits take your hands off HTML.



  • It's just irritating to have to put down anything you were holding so you can rummage in a bag or walk across a room, assuming you can remember where you put it and don't have to hunt for it - nearly all women's clothing either has no pockets or tiny pockets that a smartphone can't fit in without being uncomfortable - and if it was in a bag it would also be in its case so that's more fiddling and needs both hands if you don't want to risk dropping the wretched thing.

    It's not that I need to know the time this second instead of a few seconds later, I just prefer to not have to faff about when I can have the time there in plain view with no more effort than moving my arm slightly.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @CarrieVS said:

    early all women's clothing either has no pockets or tiny pockets

    All y'all need to start, I don't know, tracking down clothing designers and applying bastinado or something until they start putting pockets on your clothes, or maybe making your own.



  • @mott555 said:

    https://getpebble.com/

    This website just gave me cancer....hardly any information but 8234239561945234 vertical pixels of space to do so.

    At least their forum is not Discourse.



  • Sometimes you don't have any hands available or you're wearing gloves, so the touchscreen of your smartphone doesn't react.

    I like that I can see the time when I'm on my bicycle. I like that I can see the time when I'm wearing gloves. I like that I can see the time when I'm making a phone call, without having to remove my phone from my ear and maybe miss something the other party is saying.

    Even cooler: my watch is solar powered, so in theory I never need to change the battery.


  • SockDev

    @OffByOne said:

    Even cooler: my watch is solar powered, so in theory I never need to change the battery.

    Mine isn't, but I think it recharges itself based on movement. So, yeah, I don't need to change the battery either. Certainly haven't had to do so in the decade or so I've had it 😄

    [size=8]And I approve of your avatar.[/size]



  • @OffByOne said:

    Sometimes you don't have any hands available or you're wearing gloves, so the touchscreen of your smartphone doesn't react.

    So use the big-ass physical power button on the side? Even shit Apple phones have physical "wake up" buttons, last I knew.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    So use the big-ass physical power button on the side? Even shit Apple phones have physical "wake up" buttons, last I knew.

    I stand corrected. Somehow I overlooked that the lock screen also displays a clock.



  • NEWS FLASH: people who don't know how smartphones work don't like using smartphones!!!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    NEWS FLASH: people who don't know how smartphones work don't like using smartphones!!!

    Where did I say I don't like using a smartphone? I love my smartphone. I use it for all kinds of things that would be unpractical (to say the least) to do other devices, especially when on the go.

    I merely stated that using a dedicated dumbwatch to check the time is, in some circumstances1 more practical than using a phone.

    I also don't get how you come to the conclusion that I don't know how smartphones work. I overlooked something obvious (the lock screen displays a clock), I admitted as much, told you I was wrong and still you have to be a dick about it.

    1 I gave three scenarios where a watch is more practical than a phone to see what time it is. You countered one, so two to go.
    That was not an exhaustive list by the way, I can think of more situations where using a smartphone is impractical, dangerous or destructive for the phone, where a watch works perfectly fine.
    Also, what @CarrieVS said here.



  • @OffByOne said:

    Where did I say I don't like using a smartphone? I love my smartphone. I use it for all kinds of things that would be unpractical (to say the least) to do other devices, especially when on the go.

    Right! You've just never, ever looked at the lock screen.

    @OffByOne said:

    I admitted as much, told you I was wrong and still you have to be a dick about it.

    Duh.

    @OffByOne said:

    I gave three scenarios where a watch is more practical than a phone to see what time it is. You countered one, so two to go.

    The problem is: you're not embracing slack. If you're on a bike and you don't know the time, the correct answer is: "who cares? I'll check when the bike ride's over." If you feel the desperate need to know the time while riding a bike, you are not sufficiently slack.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @OffByOne said:
    Where did I say I don't like using a smartphone? I love my smartphone. I use it for all kinds of things that would be unpractical (to say the least) to do other devices, especially when on the go.

    Right! You've just never, ever looked at the lock screen.

    Sure I do. I actually use my phone in exactly the way you described to check the time.
    I didn't think of that when I wrote that post. I didn't realise the lockscreen shows a fucking clock and when you pointed that out, I immediately admitted I was wrong.

    Stop assuming.

    @blakeyrat said:

    The problem is: you're not embracing slack. If you're on a bike and you don't know the time, the correct answer is: "who cares? I'll check when the bike ride's over." If you feel the desperate need to know the time while riding a bike, you are not sufficiently slack.

    The correct answer is "I care" (otherwise I obviously wouldn't check the time).

    My commute to work takes 20 minutes ±10 minutes depending on traffic, traffic lights, wind, ... I like to know whether I'm on schedule or not.

    If I'm going to the store after work, I like to know at what time I will be home. Since I don't go to the store every day and the store is not on the direct route from work to home, I haven't memorised exactly how long it takes for me to get there. I do have an estimate whether I'm halfway, 1/4th of the way, whatever.
    Extrapolating my time of arrival from the time that I left and how long I've been on my way allows me to estimate what time I'll be in the store.

    When I go to my parents, it's a one hour trip, with an error margin of ±20 minutes, depending on traffic, traffic lights, wind direction, ...
    If I know I won't make it in time, I give a courtesy call to my parents to tell them I'm going to be x minutes late. Having a somewhat accurate value for x is nice.

    Maybe you're right and I should embrace slack, leave 30 minutes earlier than I really have to and have enough buffer that I don't have to worry about some slowdowns.
    Then again, that would mean I'd have 30 minutes less to slack out before I leave, so is it worth it? Is that really worth it??

     
     
    Edit because Discourse



  • @OffByOne said:

    Maybe you're right and I should embrace slack, leave 30 minutes earlier than I really have to and have enough buffer that I don't have to worry about some slowdowns.Then again, that would mean I'd have 30 minutes less to slack out before I leave, so is it worth it? Is that really worth it??

    If you were sufficiently slack, you would not care.



  • Some people say smartwatches are dumb and will never take off. Those are the same people that said the same of smartphones and tablets.

    Smartthings (read: tiny computers with battery, a screen and an internet connection) are the most useful gadget ever made, and the wrist is the second most practical place to wear a gadget. There is just no chance it won't happen.

    The first most practical place to wear a gadget is your eye or maybe your brain. But I think we've still got some time before those can be as usable as a smartphone.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    you're not embracing slack.

    Blakey's a member of the Church of the SubGenius. This explains a lot, actually.


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    So use the big-ass physical power button on the side? Even shit Apple phones have physical "wake up" buttons, last I knew.

    Even better; if you have a Lumia, they have a 'Glance' screen; you just wave your hand over the front camera 😄



  • @RaceProUK said:

    you just wave your hand over the front camera

    I just have to flip the front cover op to have it pop on.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @OffByOne said:

    Sometimes you don't have any hands available or you're wearing gloves, so the touchscreen of your smartphone doesn't react.

    Meh, not an issue for me. Certainly not enough of an issue for me to buy an expensive watch that does not have the name "Tag Heuer" on it. Also, there is the fact of:

    @blakeyrat said:

    So use the big-ass physical power button on the side?

    I see no point in smart watches. They just seem like another solution looking for a problem. I say this in spite of this:

    @anonymous234 said:

    Some people say smartwatches are dumb and will never take off. Those are the same people that said the same of smartphones and tablets.

    Smartthings (read: tiny computers with battery, a screen and an internet connection) are the most useful gadget ever made, and the wrist is the second most practical place to wear a gadget. There is just no chance it won't happen.

    Put computers everywhere, I don't care. I am only going to purchase those that fit my lifestyle. I spend a lot of time cooking and I still think that refrigerators with touch screens in the door are fucking stupid. I have enough "smart stuff", but I am a man who believes that stuff needs a function and I have yet to see any function that a smart watch has that I need and/or want. They just seem useless to me.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @FrostCat said:

    Blakey's a member of the Church of the SubGenius. This explains a lot, actually.

    That is a "two for one" on insults right there.



  • How? Church of the SubGenius is hilarious.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    How? Church of the SubGenius is hilarious.

    Anyone who actually has slack would know.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    If I'm within 10 minutes or so, I call it good.

    Don’t take trains much, do you?



  • Like 99% of the civilized world*, I highly doubt it.

    * Murica


  • kills Dumbledore

    If my train arrives within ten minutes or so I consider it good.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Jaloopa said:

    If my train arrives within ten minutes or so I consider it good.

    Hope your train doesn't arrive ten minutes late and your next one leave ten minutes early.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Trains leaving early? Crazytalk!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.