The quasi Official Stupid Ideas that have actually been done thread

• @RaceProUK said:

Then you lack self-control

No, not really. One of the best things that happen for me was the banning of smoking at the work place. I could get through a couple of packets a day - mostly unsmoked I will point out.

Now when I get involved in my work - and I cannot express how much I love and enjoy it, I get totally involved to the point where body and mind become separated to the point of divorce.My body learnt, quite some time ago, that it has to look after itself because the brain tends to forget to water, feed and relive it (no I don't - but I could). It could be cigs or @dkf's chocolate biscuits that my body grazes on to sustain itself. These day, for health reasons, I have a steady supply of unsalted peanuts and raisins.

• Oh I am having some fun tonight - call me Detritus 😆

@RaceProUK said:

And the correct method is proper education.

When I were a lad, Doctors endorsed certain brands - depending on how much they were paid.

@RaceProUK said:

Some LEGO bricks can be swallowed by children

Yes they can. But they can be removed. And have you noticed that there is a trend towards making some small things capable of being breathed through / round?

@locallunatic said:

Warning labels on the box like "don't leave this shit out on the table"

...regulated... Yeah, Regulation, warning labels, (@raceprouk) education etc,

• @loose said:

@RaceProUK said:

No, not really. ...

Now when I get involved in my work - [description of lacking self-control]

uh...

@loose said:

@locallunatic said:
    Warning labels on the box like "don't leave this shit out on the table" maybe, but still pushing it.

You left off the part where I was saying that it was still iffy.

• Some other points that come to mind:

• Governments get money from Tobacco and the like, so they are going to want a piece of the action.
    • Smoke free areas are good, and are the way to go, so that in a few generations it won't be a problem. But you see somebody puffing away on an e-cig, you may be tempted to light up a real one (one of the ways I check to see if I can smoke in an area, is to look around the ground for cigarette butts. My baby sister used to eat them.

Just saying.

Not endorsing, condemning or otherwise care about banning etc. Just being the Devil's Advocate.

• @locallunatic said:

You left off the part where I was saying that it was still iffy.

Yep. Mea culpa. I didn't read your reply properly. Apology offered.

• @loose said:

Mea culpa. I didn't read your reply properly. Apology offered.

Buh? Admitting it and apologizing? I'm unsure how to respond to that (which is a strong sign I've been spending too much time on here lately).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@loose said:

a mechanism to limit their use to, say, 10 mins in an hour.

While there may, in theory, be merit to the idea, an obvious workaround is buying another unit.

• I only came here to have a cig and a cup of tea before going to bed. Now it's 10:30 and I need another of each.

@RaceProUK said:

When the gum came out I knew a 3-pack-a-day smoker who tried to quit with the gum. Instead, within a few days he was smoking and chewing. I was surprised he didn't have a heart attack.

• hence the thing to make you sick - which I forgot to mention in the reply but hoped that ppl would join the dots

• I haz ppl skillls

@loose said:

hence the thing to make you sick

Ever since Prohibition, when the US Government put methanol in ethanol, that seems like a bad idea.

• FoxDev

They did that on subs too, to prevent the submariners tapping the torpedo fuel to drink. Didn't stop them; they just boiled the methanol off 😆

• One day I will tell why I subscribe to the concept of synchronicity. Suffice to say: I accidentally scrolled down the page and saw this as a topic. Thinking I had spawned a Meme, I had a read. It deflates my pride to know I was not the frist.

• To be fair when they were talking about it they compared it to the smell added to natural gas, so assuming they mean something sickening but non-toxic (or not toxic enough to be dangerous).

• FoxDev

• @RaceProUK said:

accompanied by beating

Hmmm......no I don't want to go there 👿 not just yet, anyway 😈

• @RaceProUK said:

Theobromine is also a poison, yet you can buy that in large quantities from supermarkets. Some of the better examples come in purple packaging, and are branded 'Cadburys'

You have to consume an impractical amount of chocolate to ingest a dangerous dose of theobromine. It may even be impossible - you would probably vomit from overeating long before you'd got enough into your system.

Theobromine is a poison, but chocolate is not (to humans). Cyanide is a poison, but potatoes are not. Arsenic is a poison, but rice is not.

Some things are pretty borderline, like alcoholic drinks - you can safely indulge in a few drinks, but poisoning is easily achievable - mild alcohol poisoning is almost considered normal, and severe or even fatal alcohol poisoning can occur. Other things are definitely poison, like bleach and weedkiller, but still freely available because they're useful. And they come in (at least theoretically) childproof bottles with skulls and crossbones and helpful warnings to keep them out of reach of children.

I suppose that if we're talking about slipping things into drinks you'd be likely to notice bleach at any significant concentration, probably more than nicotine, but it really isn't practical to restrict everything that could potentially be used as a murder weapon.

• kills Dumbledore

Pretty sure you'd notice the oil-based, strongly flavoured stuff that's used s in e-cigs. Having occasionally got a bit on my lips after refilling the chamber, I think I'd be able to tell if a lethal amount was in a pint of drink

• Well then that's alright then.

• kills Dumbledore

It's only an issue over here because we don't allow guns for good old fashioned American murderin'

@RaceProUK said:

@loose said:
    Now, you are asking me if banning or otherwise regulating a freely available, small, capsule (that can be swallowed by a small child) is silly?

Some LEGO bricks can be swallowed by children; shall we ban/regulate that too?

Why not? What could possibly go wrong?...

• @loose said:

You do know it is poisonous! Right?

No shit.

@loose said:

E-cigs don't contain the same type of nicotine you might find in an ordinary tobacco leaf.

That makes no fucking sense. Nicotine is nicotine is nicotine.

@loose said:

They contain liquid nicotine, which can be lethal:

As opposed to what? Non-liquid nicotine? And a pack or two of cigarettes has more than enough to murder you as well when brewed. That's why e-cig users and manufacturers keep talking over and over and over and over: keep out of reach of children.

@loose said:

It could be considered by the powers that they do not want a freely accessible, lethal, poison available.

Except like half of the things people use in their homes are, in fact, freely accessible, lethal poisons.

@RaceProUK said:

And in order to consume that amount, you'd need to break open the cartridges and drink the contents directly;

Not quite - if you're not a total beginner, you usually buy the liquid for refills, not whole cartridges.

@loose said:

There are instructions for use, but (especially with the gum), they get ignored or forgotten.

Look, if you ignore the "do not drink under any circumstances" instructions, or dosage instructions, then it doesn't matter if it's an e-cig liquid or bleach, you're getting a Darwin award and you well deserve it.

@loose said:

E-cigs would be safer if there was a mechanism to limit their use to, say, 10 mins in an hour.

Fuck off. I'll use it as I want to.

@loose said:

I have frequently chewed the gum and smoked the cigs to the point where I want to be sick.

Then you can't be trusted with a fucking box of vitamin C pills, much less an e-cig. If you have a death wish, that's your problem, not mine.

@loose said:

Now, you are asking me if banning or otherwise regulating a freely available, small, capsule (that can be swallowed by a small child) is silly?

Well fuck, let's ban everything that fits into our mouths!

@loose said:

Now you're just babbling without sense. Have the cigs put holes in your brain already?

The labels are there. If you willfully ignore the labels, the solution isn't "ban fucking everything", it's "let the idiot go to hell on his own accord".

@loose said:

But you see somebody puffing away on an e-cig, you may be tempted to light up a real one

And if you see a hot girl in a bus, you might be tempted to take off your trousers and get yourself a date with Rosie Palms. Let's ban hot girls!

@Jaloopa said:

Having occasionally got a bit on my lips after refilling the chamber, I think I'd be able to tell if a lethal amount was in a pint of drink

Doubt it. It's stingy when concentrated, but if you dilute it that much, you'd hardly notice.

@Jaloopa said:

oil-based

Umm, no. It's glycol, like cake aroma. Hence the undetectability.

• kills Dumbledore

@Maciejasjmj said:

Umm, no. It's glycol, like cake aroma. Hence the undetectability

Fair enough. I've never tried mixing it with water, it just looked like it would float on top rather than properly mixing

• @Maciejasjmj said:

No shit.

loose:
    E-cigs don't contain the same type of nicotine you might find in an ordinary tobacco leaf.

That makes no fucking sense. Nicotine is nicotine is nicotine.

loose:
    They contain liquid nicotine, which can be lethal:

Not my words: Quote from linked article - well Google actually.

See...

@Maciejasjmj said:

That's why e-cig users and manufacturers keep talking over and over and over and over: keep out of reach of children.

AND

@Maciejasjmj said:

Except like half of the things people use in their homes are, in fact, freely accessible, lethal poisons.

AND

@Maciejasjmj said:

Look, if you ignore the "do not drink under any circumstances" instructions, or dosage instructions, then it doesn't matter if it's an e-cig liquid or bleach, you're getting a Darwin award and you well deserve it.

AND

@Maciejasjmj said:

The labels are there. If you willfully ignore the labels, the solution isn't "ban fucking everything", it's "let the idiot go to hell on his own accord".

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. You are picking up all the dots, but you are just not joining them up. Nobody said anything about personal abuse of the stuff. We lock up our domestic chemicals etc because we are told and we know we should. We put warning labels on stuff to remind us - and don't forget the visually impaired, because of the danger to those that can't read or understand iconography (that'll be children btw).

Oh BTW. Talk about dual standards:

@Maciejasjmj said:

Fuck off. I'll use it as I want to.

Now, getting a cleaning chemical out of the gun locker on the rare occasions when it is needed is one thing. Getting something from it that is needed every few minuets is something else. Sooner or later, safety protocols will be ignored. Disposing of the remains equally becomes a pain. Imagine having to use something like a sharps container, and all the hassle of disposing of it.?

@Maciejasjmj said:

Not quite - if you're not a total beginner, you usually buy the liquid for refills, not whole cartridges.

There, you said it. But you have no idea what it is you said.

@Maciejasjmj said:

Doubt it. It's stingy when concentrated, but if you dilute it that much, you'd hardly notice.

You said it again without realising the point.

This deserves a special mention:

@Maciejasjmj said:

And if you see a hot girl in a bus, you might be tempted to take off your trousers and get yourself a date with Rosie Palms. Let's ban hot girls!

No I don't and no you don't because you and I know that doing that is a one way ticket. Even if you didn't, and did. You would be immediately surrounded by people that would want to give you that one way ticket. Not only could you get
    @Maciejasjmj said:

a Darwin award

You will be a victim of "Evolution In Action"

@Maciejasjmj said:

Umm, no. It's glycol, like cake aroma. Hence the undetectability.

See... There you go again.

Now, before I lose my temper and let slip the dogs of war (I bet you didn't see what I just did there), and to use the language of your choice.

• Go back and fucking read my (and other peoples) responses

until

1. You realise that I am not advocating banning, but offering a, non obvious, reason as to why some might.
    2. It's not about what I do to myself with substance abuse.
    3. That Governments are right in thinking that people are dumbfucks and need constant reminding because, ultimately "ignorance of the law is no defence" and "you have been warned / told" etc
    4. Having just made yet one more mortal enemy, I do not want to have to worry about what is in my afternoon tea 😆

Parthian Shot:

The instructions for nicotine chewing gum are (essentially) chew to release the nicotine then "park" between gum (of the jaw kind) and cheek to allow the nicotine to be absorbed, chewing occasionally to refresh the nicotine. Remove after x time.

Now, unlike my microwave when I nuke my food, it does not go ping. So if you get your timing wrong you get sick without any real warning.

Tip of the day:

Stuck on a 12hour trans world flight - take nicotine gum.

• @loose said:

You are picking up all the dots, but you are just not joining them up.

I connected the dots and got an image of a confused person who doesn't even know what they're arguing for.

You linked and quoted an obvously wrong article to prove a point you're not making, you're argumenting for banning while also saying you're not proposing it, you're mudding the waters with the whole "think of the children" point while ignoring the obvious fact that children require supervision anyway, you've somehow figured that banning e-cig liquids will solve any problem when in fact all the problems it causes are already there, and you somehow use your apparent inability to control yourself as an argument.

Present your point again. This time, no Shakespeare quotes.

• In English, the dogs of war is a phrase from Act 3, Scene 1, line 273 of William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar: "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war".

Often misquoted as "let loose", even though it means the same thing.

It's one of the better "puns" and comments about my avatar's name. Which is ironic in that it was originally Loose Cannon, because in the early days of online gaming my modem was so pathetic that I had to have a 320x240 screen size in order to get a decent FPS. Which meant telling friend from foe was a bit difficult, so I placed myself in defence roles and shot any anything running towards me. I was pretty good at it. Occasionally I would shoot a team mate, and sometimes the server had FF on.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said:

It's only an issue over here because we don't allow guns for good old fashioned American murderin'

PROTIP: We don't allow guns for that either.

@Jaloopa said:

Gun murderin' is fairly new-fangled. I assume in Old Europa you do it in more time-tested ways, like frying pans or lead paint.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I assume in Old Europa you do it in more time-tested ways, like frying pans or lead paint.

The British seem to prefer knives (if news is anything to go by)

• kills Dumbledore

We're more civilized in Britain. We ask the victim if they'd mind terribly committing suicide when they have a minute to spare. Thanks old bean

@RaceProUK said:

The British seem to prefer knives (if news is anything to go by)

Yes, and that's why there was talk at some point about how you peons didn't need pointy or long ones. I hope the rest of you laughed at the ones suggesting that until they skulked away.

• kills Dumbledore

Knives doon't kill people, knives fired outs of guns kill people. Or something

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I hope the rest of you laughed at the ones suggesting that until they skulked away.

Well, since there's no law against having knives that are useful for things (cooking mainly), I guess that's exactly what happened 😄

@RaceProUK said:

Well, since there's no law against having knives that are useful for things (cooking mainly),

The way I remember it, they actually found some chefs to say you don't need an 8" knife with a point for cooking, you can get by with smaller, rounded ones.

• FoxDev

Carving a roast or a joint is a lot easier with long pointed blades; any chef who doesn't recognise that isn't a true chef

• kills Dumbledore

You don't need a point to carve a joint. You're using the length of the blade, not stabbing it

• FoxDev

Hmm… I know there's something where a pointed blade is a lot easier to use…

• I think (in the UK) some classes of knife are banned: Like butterfly and flick knives.

I think (in the UK) there is a guideline about the length of blade - about 3" (approx. 7.5 cm)

But it not so much about owning a knife as about something along the lines "...why are you carrying that knife of [insert description here]..." In the context of where (in the UK) and when (time of day) you are discovered carrying said knife.

• The pet hate at the moment are craft knives, because they conform to the rules and are incredibly efficient

• kills Dumbledore

Filleting/butterflying comes to mind, and quite a few other techniques probably.

Anyway, you can still buy big old kitchen knives with nice sharp points no problem. They just ID you when you want to buy a steel...

@loose said:

But it not so much about owning a knife as about something along the lines "...why are you carrying that knife of [insert description here]..." In the context of where (in the UK) and when (time of day) you are discovered carrying said knife.

Yes. A chef can carry 15 carving knives on the way to work, but if he was on the way to a football match the "I'm a chef, I need them" defense wouldn't stand up

• @RaceProUK said:

Hmm… I know there's something where a pointed blade is a lot easier to use…

Cutting tomatoes.

• @RaceProUK said:

against having knives that are useful for things

I assume there's an implicit "things other than murdering people" clause after that one?

• FoxDev

Correct

@Jaloopa said:

They just ID you when you want to buy a steel...

I think you accidentally a word. A steel what?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

I assume a steel.

• kills Dumbledore

Exactly. I'd call it a sharpening steel if I needed to be more precise, but I assumed it was well known , especially in the context of buying knives

@Jaloopa said:

Exactly. I'd call it a sharpening steel if I needed to be more precise, but I assumed it was well known , especially in the context of buying knives

Ok, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was one of those weird britishisms for a specific kind of knife, or what. I don't use/buy them much so I would probably call it the full "a sharpening steel" if I had to talk about one.

• kills Dumbledore

@FrostCat said:

one of those weird britishisms for a specific kind of knife

Well, we do use copper knives for most ceremonial purposes. Steel affects the taste of the tea

@Jaloopa said:

Well, we do use copper knives for most ceremonial purposes.

And if you'd said you need to buy a copper, I'd have to figure if you were talking about bribing someone, or try to guess what you might have meant that rhymes with copper (or worse, rhymes with a different word in some phrase that has the word copper in it).