Discourse is slow on Android. Why?

• Banned

This is now fixed properly.

The column name was causing people to trip, so instead of just fixing the issue I corrected the underlying reason it happened in the first case.

After this fix is deployed, next time you click "Dismiss Posts" it will not cause any zombie posts.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Despite what they type in that thread, the real answer is: "we never gave a shit about that and just said it to shut people up, fuck you."

The jury is still out:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/does-anyone-actually-like-the-likes-column/18397/113?u=boomzilla

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Somewhere I have a screenshot where unread says I have 42 posts to read, but unread says I have no unread posts.

• @sam said:

The column name was causing people to trip, so instead of just fixing the issue I corrected the underlying reason it happened in the first case.

Suuure.

With the number of regressions in Discourse, don't worry. It'll be back in just a few weeks for you to fix it again. Somehow your crack team of experts will find a way.

• Banned

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah; we all told Alex that on Day Fucking One, remember? He's in the pocket of Big Discourse, it's never gonna happen.

I read to the bottom of this topic and nobody had shopped that yet. Disappoint.

Blakeyrat did you ever consider that the kind of attitude you are exhibiting here might bleed over to work or personal life and have negative consequences, like... in the real world? There is really no upside to being hateful, cynical, and negative 24/7.

I am sorry about the dismiss posts bug sticking around for so long. Thanks for helping us figure it out. Would have been faster to open a bug on meta.d though..

• @codinghorror said:

Blakeyrat did you ever consider that the kind of attitude you are exhibiting here might bleed over to work or personal life and have negative consequences, like... in the real world?

Blakeyrat is not a real person.

@codinghorror said:

There is really no upside to being hateful, cynical, and negative 24/7.

Probably not.

@codinghorror said:

I am sorry about the dismiss posts bug sticking around for so long.

But you don't care that your stable of developers were so incompetent as to introduce it in the first place?

TEST YOUR SHIT.

@codinghorror said:

Would have been faster to open a bug on meta.d though..

And... what's my incentive? Do you pay me for it?

Keep in mind, I don't want to use this shitty software in the first place.

• Banned

The incentive is that the things that bother you (that aren't truck vs car stuff, granted) get fixed faster.

• Right; and just as a coincidence Atwood, as asshole I don't even like, gets TONS OF MONEY.

Wow. What a great tradeoff! I can give a person I don't like money! And at the same time, I can reduce the number of bugs I have to deal with on this shiitty site by an unmeasurably small amount!

@blakeyrat said:

Keep in mind, I don't want to use this shitty software in the first place.

That made me LOL, literally. And I have no freaking idea why.

• @blakeyrat said:

Blakeyrat is not a real person.

@accalia, I think your bot is broken.

• Banned

I make $0 salary on Discourse and have since November 2013. I wanted to make sure we could pay the other team members, who do all the real work, for as long as possible from the initial seed funds.

I think you have a right to be upset about bugs, but you frequently go too far.

@delfinom said:

@accalia, I think your bot is broken.

He has become self-aware. This is how SkyNet started.

• Whatever, the point remains. I have no incentive to help you. I want you and your product to go away. If I could go my entire life without ever seeing you or Discourse again, I'd be happy.

• Don't use the forum then.

• ♿ (Parody)

@codinghorror said:

I think you have a right to be upset about bugs, but you frequently go too far.

Welcome to blakeyworld.

• FoxDev

hmm? oh that one went rogue years ago. i've given up trying to get it back under control.

You're on your own on this one i'm afraid.

• @boomzilla said:

It's like eating bugs when lost in the forest. You never know when your next chance will be.

...and you never know which one is fatally poisonous.

• @codinghorror said:

Would have been faster to open a bug on meta.d though..

You realize that several of us from here have tried that? Of those that tried, a few got treated with such hostility that we're avoiding meta.d. You know what part of Sam's reasoning was when I brought it up with him at one point? "You're from TDWTF, so deal with it." So fucking what? I was in your house, following your rules. Just because I spend more time here is no reason to treat me different from any other poster on meta.d.

And don't even try to tell me that I didn't get treated differently. I can prove I did. I created a sock puppet over on meta.d. My main account was even nicer than my sock puppet at times. The main difference? My sock puppet had no clear connection to TDWTF. And do you know which account was treated better? Which account I felt was listened to? The damn sock puppet! I posted the exact same opinions from both accounts. I posted the same supporting evidence from both. And yet the one where I was clear about who I was generally got dismissed out of hand, just for being from TDWTF! You and your staff only come to us when it's good for you. Otherwise, you dismiss us with something along the lines of "Oh they're from TDWTF, just ignore them."

With that, and the fact that many of us don't want this massive pile of WTF, you'll have to excuse us if we don't want to come to meta.d and let you know about every little bug and regression we find. Especially the regressions that have cropped up multiple times.

• ♿ (Parody)

I think it improved quite a bit since the early days.

• Banned

No, trust me, I know exactly who the sock puppets are. What I care about is:

1. Can we actually reproduce this
    2. Is it something anyone else (other than this site) is complaining about
    3. Is this "truck vs. car" stuff, e.g. "the bug is that there is infinite scrolling! Fix it!"

And you guys often fare poorly on all three of those metrics.

For example this one:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/selection-quote-reply-is-broken-on-samsung-galaxy-s4/21041

Feel free to cite any others you don't think we've followed up on.

• @codinghorror said:

No, trust me, I know exactly who the sock puppets are.

Ok, whatever. I'm not going to get into a spiraling argument.

@codinghorror said:

What I care about is:

1. Is it something anyone else (other than this site) is complaining about

So...if it only effects us, then we are SOL? Gotcha.

• FoxDev

FWIW: loading the benchmark on a 3DS yields:

Script is taking a long time to execute, terminate? y/n? (selected N)

then Script Terminated

that's loading the benchmark page. not actually running it. :-D

• @codinghorror said:

2. Is it something anyone else (other than this site) is complaining about

Ah what the heck. I've got two bones to pick with this argument of yours.

1. That's a shitty way to look at bugs. It's a good way to miss a lot of serious bugs before your less savvy users find them. For example: An email leak exploit? Well, it's only been reported on TDWTF. Let's ignore it until someone else reports it. Glad that worked out differently, aren't you?
    2. So, where's our motivation to report bugs on meta.d now? You want us to report bugs on meta.d to help make Discourse nicer to use, but then you turn around and basically tell us that the report will be ignored unless another site experiences the issue. So now we're stuck with reporting and having the bug ignored because no other site has reported the issue, or not reporting and just living with the bug. The second choice sounds like a lot less work. You can't have it both ways.

• kills Dumbledore

From that meta link:

remember that tapping any reply button with a valid selection is also a quote action.

"Remember" suggests that this has been pointed out before. I had no idea. It wouldn't occur to me to try since it's not an intuitive idea at all to my mind.

Credit where credit's due though, at least it is possible to quote reply when the button doesn't appear, even if the mechanism is pretty much undiscoverable

• Banned

I think what @codinghorror is trying to say is that we always prioritize bugs that generate more "noise" over ones that affect a very small amount of users. One easy way to measure this is look for repeated complaints from multiple sites.

I regularly look through https://meta.discourse.org/c/bug?order=op_likes&status=open, but the pot is quite big. There are 245 open bugs at the moment, many are in the realm of "yeah it would be nice to fix but not really urgent"

@abarker said:

An email leak exploit?

PM those to me, all security holes get patched quick smart.

@abarker said:

So, where's our motivation to report bugs on meta.d now?

I personally triage every bug opened on meta.d and look through the list above regularly. Many bugs get fixed that are just reported from one source, what we are trying to nip at the bud is....

Stop the world and go work on https://meta.discourse.org/t/ie11-cant-double-click-to-highlight-word/12601 cause disaster.

Getting bugs on meta.d gets them triaged more quickly and potentially actioned more quickly.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@sam said:

There are 245 open bugs at the moment

And that doesn't strike you as a bad sign? 245 low-priority bugs is a bit excessive to write off... I routinely see people going to production with 5-10 low-priority bugs, but over 200?!

• Banned

Rails has 325 of them, so we are ahead.

The reality is that the pretty much all these open issues are not ship stoppers, let me work through a few from bottom and explain

https://meta.discourse.org/t/focus-on-images-icons-not-noticeable-in-firefox/13389

legit bug, firefox keyboard users only, not critical

https://meta.discourse.org/t/topics-created-with-wordpress-plugin-have-incorrect-avatars-in-topic-list/11519

unclear if its really an issue, only people with the wordpress plugin are affected, not critical

https://meta.discourse.org/t/html-email-signature-not-being-stripped-out-of-notification-reply/21351

Incoming email from very particular clients, not critical, nice to have fixed

https://meta.discourse.org/t/sometimes-pasting-text-from-a-webpage-inserts-too-much-whitespace/19253

unclear what the issue is, not a ship stopper, could be usage

https://meta.discourse.org/t/posting-to-fb-pictures-in-text/16177

is this our bug? is it facebooks? does it really matter?

I could keep doing this through the rest of the list.

• BINNED

@sam said:

I could keep doing this through the rest of the list.

Then own them and close that shit. I'm certainly not advocating to keep your bugs open indefinitely. If they are investigated proper 'not our issue' 'not reproducible' and the lot are acceptable. That's the act of handling bug reports.

• Banned

I close stuff a lot, in a couple of the above if I get no response in the next few days I will close.

That said a ton are in the "minor, would be nice to be fixed but not critical" bucket. Legit bug reports that are not ship stoppers.

• BINNED

@sam said:

Legit bug reports that are not ship stoppers.

I guess that was the whole point: having a ton of those is a bit ... smelly ...

• Each of these minor bugs isn't a big deal on its own, but in such huge amounts, they become a problem. How many bugs make a product feel "buggy"? About the same as the number of trees that form a forest. Each person and community has their own standard.

The feeling on TDWTF is that this is a jungle. And that you should stop tinkering with interface and new features, until you get the number of bugs down to a manageable amount.

I personally don't think it's a jungle, but that it wouldn't hurt to do some landscaping, before you move on expanding.

• FoxDev

for the record i have about 120 bugs assigned to me that i am literally not allowed to close, they're fixed, tested, and deployed to production, but because the reporting user is no longer with the company i cannot get the required signoff to close them.

in fact no one, not even or bug tracker admin can override that. not even our CEO can. and because the use has been deleted from the domain we can';t even sockpuppet them to close the tickets and creating a user with the same name to sockpuppet would result in a different SID and so not be the same user and not be able to close the tickets!

very annoying but at least one of my performance metrics isn't the number of open bugs. I think i would scream (or clandestinely take to the big tracker DB) if that were the case.

Yeah, but they're not really open bugs, you just have shitty bug tracking software :) If you had 120 real open bugs, minor or not, I assume you wouldn't be blase about the state of the application.

I deal with this sort of attitude all the time. "We don't have a quality problem. By the way, we need to reduce the number of tickets we're working on a monthly basis, our accountant isn't happy with the bottom line. Also, all our projects are coming in late, we need to keep to a better schedule." On an interesting side note, those are symptoms of a quality problem..... >.>

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Yamikuronue said:

Yeah, but they're not really open bugs, you just have shitty bug tracking software If you had 120 real open bugs, minor or not, I assume you wouldn't be blase about the state of the application.

I know of software, accused of being of very high quality (as in it is used for things like industrial control systems), that has 558 open bugs. That's a little over 10% of the total in the bug database (yes, I've excluded feature requests). But that includes things like “automated test suite not very efficient” which while they ought to be sorted out some time, are right at the bottom of the priority pile.

When it comes to fixing some inefficiencies that most people will never ever see, let alone be even slightly inconvenienced by, or spending effort to make sure that the system Won't Ever Crash, which is the right one to prioritise?

@dkf said:

or spending effort to make sure that the system Won't Ever Crash

Obviously you prioritize higher-severity bugs over lower-severity bugs. Is that what you see the Discourse team doing?

Honestly, I'm starting to feel like Blakeyrat. I'm one misread shy of ranting about shoulder aliens ;)

@Yamikuronue said:

Is that what you see the Discourse team doing?

I leave the watching of the Discourse team to my shoulder aliens.

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

Yeah, but they're not really open bugs, you just have shitty bug tracking software If you had 120 real open bugs, minor or not, I assume you wouldn't be blase about the state of the application.

well, they are open bugs in that i can't close them like they should be. I also have about 300 bugs that i want to close as invalid because they are not bugs but feature requests that i can't close for the same reason (yes, even for WONTFIX the bug reporter has to sign off on it)

i have no idea why our users refuse to actually contact PMO with their feature requests, but they do. then they bitch about how they are never listened to by IT.

WE TOLD YOU THAT THIS WAS A FEATURE REQUEST THAT HAD TO GO THROUGH PMO! BY YOUR RULES EVEN! WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT US IGNORING YOU WHEN YOU MAKE RULES ABOUT HOW WE SHOULD HANDLE FEATURE REQUESTS THEN IGNORE THOSE RULES‽

</rant>

Openness of a bug report is a fundamental property independant of the status in the tracker :)

• FoxDev

true enough. also why was </rant> big in preview and not in cooked? i didn't close that <big> tag.

@accalia said:

clandestinely take to the big tracker DB

That is what I would be doing.

• FoxDev

i don't want to be caught doing naughty if having them isn't affecting my performance reviews.

if it starts affecting my performance however....

• Apparently because the previewer is set to close and then re-open unclosed tags when it closes and opens new paragraphs, but the actual post doesn't get cooked the same way.

Another fun aspect of Discourse's WYSMBWYGIYL editor.

I really need to put that in the Discopædia topic, but I'm just busy/lazy.

@accalia said:

creating a user with the same name to sockpuppet would result in a different SID

Isn't there a way to override that? I thought I'd read somewhere that it's possible.

Also, I guess nobody has direct access to the database to just update the status record.

• FoxDev

i know where the DB is and happen to have DBO permissions to the server (because it's a PROD server)

i'm not supposed to touch it through the DB though... and i'll play nice so long as it doesn't affect my performance. ;-)

• There's also the classic Slashdot bitching that Windows 2000 was released with 64,000 unresolved bugs. I think they've mostly stopped posting that though.

Considering I saw the bug trackers of some hugely successful Xbox 360 games that launched with 5,000+ bugs, I believe it.

I was never part of that crowd (I got out of the stupid Linux fanboi-ism stage in the mid-'90s). It's the number of critical bugs that matters; bugs that cause massively wrong/unsafe functioning of some kind need the very highest priority. Lesser ones like “the documentation was a bit confusing” or “the behaviour there is surprising, though documented” can rank rather lower.

• There is a lot to be learned from Linus Torvalds v. Mauro Carvalho Chehab [2013]

can be summed up to 2 lines:

"Mauro, SHUT THE FUCK UP!
    WE DO NOT BREAK USERSPACE!"

• FoxDev

i have a simple rule with dealing with people.

you leave the profanity outside and we'll get along just fine.

i suspect i would not get along fine with Tovalds (that's far from the only time he's done something like that, even if most of the time he has a good(or at least goodish) point)

• The end justifies the means - Torvalds was pretty mean.