The Official Status Thread

• @topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

@dcon I figured. Ignoring the braces placement, I never understood the point of the former comma style. It just looks wrong and I see no benefit.
    Is there any advantage I’m missing or is it purely a style choice?

When I modify the class and add a new variable, 1 line changes. In the 2nd form, 2 lines change because you have to add the comma. And things line up nicely visually. I'll admit, when I first saw it, it was weird. But it didn't take me long to incorporate it into my personal style.

Oh, and the new braces placement style is going to drive me mad. I've gotten used to it on control statements. But don't do it on functions!

• BINNED

@dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

@topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

@dcon I figured. Ignoring the braces placement, I never understood the point of the former comma style. It just looks wrong and I see no benefit.

When I modify the class and add a new variable, 1 line changes. In the 2nd form, 2 lines change because you have to add the comma.

I see. Seems a pretty minor benefit for the rare case that you add exactly one variable at the end of the list.

And things line up nicely visually.

The other option also lines up without sticking out. I’ll take the two line diff over the ugliness of this.

Oh, and the new braces placement style is going to drive me mad. I've gotten used to it on control statements. But don't do it on functions!

Agreed

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

For myself, I use the pre-pended comma pattern very heavily in T-SQL, since it lets me comment out specific columns from the query by just commenting out a single row.

Though obviously in combination with Egyptian braces there, that destroys a lot of the benefit of the code pattern.

• Considered Harmful

@izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

pre-pended comma pattern very heavily in T-SQL

It swaps the ability to comment out the last item for the first. Although in SQL the first is often some ID, so it at least makes sense.

Anyway, it's wrong :half-trolleybus-l:

And I figure there's a trailing comma proposal floating around:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p2067r0.pdf.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@error_bot uptime you awake anyways?

• Banned

@dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

Honestly, having mixed style is worse than either style consistently applied everywhere.

• Banned

Status: Ordering a few things on Amazon. Took my sweet time, yes, but got some (hopefully) high quality items at very low price. Went to checkout, and it said they'll all be here on Thursday, but in the 15 seconds it took me to change payment method, the most important one of them moved to Friday. I'm moderately annoyed. #firstworldproblems

@Gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

Ordering a few things on Amazon.

Status: Researching a few things on Amazon. Product descriptions don't match product images...

08ed8c40-a3d5-4d2f-90f3-cd23cf3d0d1c-image.png

• @izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

For myself, I use the pre-pended comma pattern very heavily in T-SQL, since it lets me comment out specific columns from the query by just commenting out a single row.gets auto-generated that way :kneeling_warthog:

• BINNED

So my mother gets her taxes filed by a tax accountant. She just complained that it costs about 200€ to do that and asked how much work it'd be to do it herself, so I said I'll have a look at it. From the tax accountant, she got the print-out of the papers to be filed and just needs to sign them to file with the tax office. Separately from that, she got a bill from them and an estimate how much tax she'll get back.

So instead of going through her documents and trying to figure out what to file, I just took what the accountant prepared and filled that into the (free) filing software. The print-out looks "free form" compared to the form sheets you can fill out by hand (and which the filing software's UI reflects), but is actually standardized, with "line number" keys for each item. I clicked the "print preview" button in the filing software and I was able to exactly recreate the print-out I have with the only difference being that it says ***DRAFT*** in the header and in the footer you can see that they used a different software to file it. But the actual details to file are exactly the same. So from the point of view of the tax office, the end result should be identical if we hand in either the print-out the tax accountant prepared or what I just did to recreate it.

But here's the kicker: the estimate I get from what I entered is almost 500€ less than what they have estimated. How?? :wtf:
    Either their estimate is wrong (unlikely, they get paid for it and mom always got the exact amount they had estimated in previous years), or the estimate I got is wrong (unlikely, official software from the state and has always been correct for me), or they filed something that I didn't. And the last part would make sense - they get paid for it, so they're probably more knowledgeable about it than I am - except that I didn't do the tax from scratch. I just replicated their work to file exactly the same thing!

EDIT: @Rhywden, you got any idea about this? I'm lost.

• @topspin I have no clue, tax forms are black magic to me. I'm using a website which walks me through the process and tells me where to enter what numbers. Makes sense for my simple case and I'm paying only 15€ (and their estimates are always rather close to what I'm getting)

What is weird, though: Why does she need to sign papers? This year I never signed anything because you can simply file electronically now, using your private key you can get through the ELSTER site. And I also didn't need to hand in anything else because they'll ask for receipts reactively now.

Maybe you can try it out on the site I'm using? www.smartsteuer.de

Doesn't cost anything until you try to hand the form in.

• status I need to find my N95 masks and start wearing them inside. This air is thick from all the fires. (I'm safe, the closest is at least 20 or 30 miles away) With no wind (currently), the bay area topology is acting like a trap.

• BINNED

@Rhywden said in The Official Status Thread:

@topspin I have no clue, tax forms are black magic to me. I'm using a website which walks me through the process and tells me where to enter what numbers. Makes sense for my simple case and I'm paying only 15€ (and their estimates are always rather close to what I'm getting)

What is weird, though: Why does she need to sign papers? This year I never signed anything because you can simply file electronically now, using your private key you can get through the ELSTER site. And I also didn't need to hand in anything else because they'll ask for receipts reactively now.

Maybe you can try it out on the site I'm using? www.smartsteuer.de

Doesn't cost anything until you try to hand the form in.

Yeah, I also filed mine online and signed with a digital certificate, no actual paperwork or signatures involved. My tax is super simple (don't deduct car or anything, only donations) so I use the free ELSTER program.
    I assume the tax accounts also have a digital certificate to sign with. What my mother does sign basically says "this tax file has been created with the help of <accountants> and I have verified it", so I guess it's to give them the mandate to file for her and/or a CYA that, ultimately, she's still responsible for it in case of errors.

What I don't understand is how they can get different numbers.
    To make an analogy: If I need a website and got the two options of doing it myself and hiring a professional, it's not exactly unexpected if the professional gets better results. I have no clue how to design websites, after all. But what I did, in this analogy, wasn't design my own website but look at the professional's work (paid already), open notepad, and type in exactly the same HTML. The professional doesn't get paid for typing, but for knowing what to type. But for whatever reason, mine doesn't look the same.
    This challenges my basic understanding of "tax is calculated deterministically from the exact data you file, and nothing else." Somewhere they have a part in there that I don't see.

Well, 200€ sounds a lot, but if it gains 500€ more than doing it myself (unless I understand the missing piece), obviously we'll keep the professional help.

• Programmers rarely separate "what is" from "what could be".

For example, Javascript runs in the browser, Python (random example) doesn't (pretend we're back in the pre-WASM days). But it's not for any reason in particular that makes javascript more browser-friendly, it's just historical reasons.

So most people file "browser -> javascript" in their brains, in the same way that they filed "2+2=4", and that's it. Maybe they'll realize that Python could run in the browser, if you ask them, but they don't really internalize that idea of a world where you can easily type <script language="python"> and it works. They don't complain online and say things like "Boy, when is Google going to add Python support to Chrome? That'd be so cool". And so there is almost no pressure for anything to change.

Me, my ideas of what could be are continuously in the back of my brain yelling "but why does it have to be designed like thiiiiis" and I have to make a conscious effort not to be distracted by them because maybe I NEED to learn javascript now and it doesn't matter what COULD be.

status: SoundCloud is getting desperate, they've extended their $1 subscription "sale" twice now.

• So it's all smokey outside. Thought it was farmers burning their fields (which would be very early). Nope. California, your fires are sending their smoke all the way over to eastern Idaho. Roughly 1000 km away in a straight line, over a bunch of mountains.

Status: Why is the EqualityComparer function throwing an exception?!?

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

So it's all smokey outside. Thought it was farmers burning their fields (which would be very early). Nope. California, your fires are sending their smoke all the way over to eastern Idaho. Roughly 1000 km away in a straight line, over a bunch of mountains.

Hey, don't blame us! You've got your own! (And Oregon - everything's OR's fault now.)

• @dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

Hey, don't blame us! You've got your own!

California's so bad, even the fires want to move to other states.

• @dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

@Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

So it's all smokey outside. Thought it was farmers burning their fields (which would be very early). Nope. California, your fires are sending their smoke all the way over to eastern Idaho. Roughly 1000 km away in a straight line, over a bunch of mountains.

Hey, don't blame us! You've got your own! (And Oregon - everything's OR's fault now.)

The news here (yes, I know how much that matters) is reporting that our smoke in this particular area is California's fault. Which makes sense because the prevailing winds are from the SW, and all the Idaho fires are to the east or north of us.

status: guess who hasn't finished moving the new router computer on the battery-backed line? ⚡

• :belt_onion:

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

status: guess who hasn't finished moving the new router computer on the battery-backed line? ⚡

Probably the same person who just required battery backup?

• Stadia seems to be gaining popularity and Xbox Cloud gaming is coming soon.

For some reason this is happening now even though OnLive made this commercially available 10 fucking years ago. Of course, it was bought by Sony and made to work only on their hardware. Then Nvidia released their version that also only worked on their hardware. And then there was nothing.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@anonymous234 said in The Official Status Thread:

For some reason this is happening now even though OnLive made this commercially available 10 fucking years ago.

Wasn't OnLive a bit shit? Whereas the more modern alternatives seem to not be?

Seriously considering acm membership. Apparently they have full access to o reilly books. Does anyone know if this is true?

• Open-source, modular, multi-tenant application framework and CMS for ASP.NET Core

No god dammit you don't get to just describe something as an application framework for something that's literally an application framework! Especially not when it's made by the same people! Do words just not matter to anyone?

• Banned

Do words just not matter to anyone?

AFAIK "framework" has always meant "a big library that's annoying to integrate with other things", without any other specific characteristics. Figures someone would build an application framework on top of an application framework some day.

• @Gąska True, it's not a case of words being wrong, it's a case of words missing information.

I never liked the term "framework" for this exact reason. A "web framework" could be anything from a thin wrapper that passes HTTP requests to your code, to an infinitely complex network of systems and subsystems that do everything you can think of.

A "web framework" could be anything

Even the original web framework:

b03ec8c7-9d0f-4360-9227-5c3d49b90fd5-image.png

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: Why is the EqualityComparer function throwing an exception?!?

if (l.x == r.x)
        return true;
    throw ValuesNotEqual();

The point of putting the commas first is so you can do a // comment to remove lines. If you have the commas after, you can't remove the last line without also commenting out the comma above. It's related to one of the reasons you put opening and closing brackets on separate lines (so they don't get caught by // comments).

status finished my last day on the job. I'm a bit worried though. No compliments on my competence as a developer just how much of a character I am. Maybe I should go into comedy instead if I'm that much of a character. I suspect there's a gap in the market for tech comedians.

• Considered Harmful

• Banned

@DogsB said in The Official Status Thread:

I suspect there's a gap in the market for tech comedians.

Haha nice one! 🤣

• BINNED

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

The point of putting the commas first is so you can do a // comment to remove lines. If you have the commas after, you can't remove the last line without also commenting out the comma above. It's related to one of the reasons you put opening and closing brackets on separate lines (so they don't get caught by // comments).

Not true. As @Applied-Mediocrity already pointed out similarly, you are swapping the ability to do that for the first element to that of the last element. And you can always do it for the elements in the middle.

• @hungrier said in The Official Status Thread:

The only negative so far is that the outlets are laid out horizontally, and my modem and router both have big horizontal power bricks, so out of 7 outlets (5 battery backed, 2 not) I can only use 4

I buy 1ft long extension cords for my power bricks. They're like $12 for 10 on AMZN.

Not true. As @Applied-Mediocrity already pointed out similarly, you are swapping the ability to do that for the first element to that of the last element. And you can always do it for the elements in the middle.

OK but some languages have "optional trailing commas", but never optional leading commas. I think Perl5 might have had optional trailing commas, because I was really big into this convention at one point and I KNOW haskell doesn't do optional trailing commas.

• BINNED

• @Captain said in The Official Status Thread:

@hungrier said in The Official Status Thread:

The only negative so far is that the outlets are laid out horizontally, and my modem and router both have big horizontal power bricks, so out of 7 outlets (5 battery backed, 2 not) I can only use 4

I buy 1ft long extension cords for my power bricks. They're like $12 for 10 on AMZN.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9MCTGL

• @dcon Yeah, I really wanted one of those "octopus" ones when they first came out in the 00s. But then I realized...

@Captain said in The Official Status Thread:

@dcon Yeah, I really wanted one of those "octopus" ones when they first came out in the 00s. But then I realized...

So you octopussied out? 🤔

• Another cool tracking site

You can see all the aircraft making fire runs (there's also the normal air traffic). Click an a plane and you see where it's been and what it is. (some things that have plane icons are actually helicopters)

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

Except not really, if you think about it. Typically, the most important parameter is first, both in order and temporally. You're far more likely to change the last/newest addition. Same with, say, an enumerator, which is, strangely enough, the one place I'm aware of where the .NET compiler doesn't flag trailing commas as an error.

• kills Dumbledore

@loopback0 said in The Official Status Thread:

For some reason this is happening now even though OnLive made this commercially available 10 fucking years ago.

Wasn't OnLive a bit shit? Whereas the more modern alternatives seem to not be?

I used onlive. It was fine.

I didn't play fast paced, twitchy shooters or anything like that, but there was a tennis game that I never noticed any lag on. It probably helped that I was in London, just down the road from the exchange and on the fastest ADSL available at the time

• kills Dumbledore

@DogsB said in The Official Status Thread:

. I suspect there's a gap in the market for tech comedians

Did you ever notice how some people comment like //but some people comment like /**/?

What's the deal with airline APIs?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

AFAIK "framework" has always meant "a big library that's annoying to integrate with other things", without any other specific characteristics.

In a normal library, you call the functions in the library.
    In framework, functions in framework call you!

That's all the difference really comes down to.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf What if it's Soviet framework? 🐠

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in The Official Status Thread:

@dkf What if it's Soviet framework? 🐠

Then instead of driving you to drink, you'll have to be drunk to start using it.

• memebetter.com-20200822170215.jpg