The Official Status Thread

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Success! Just spent the last 114 minutes re-running memory recovery to remember the security panel PIN.

This despite using it daily to close down the office every day...

I really have no idea why that was unlinked TBH.

It really makes me wonder what else is getting destroyed unintentionally.... :eek:

The problem with determining what you've forgotten through introspection is that holes aren't really that obvious.

*sigh* Stupid stupid redundancy systems don't work if you have only one unit in the entire system!

• :belt_onion:

@adynathos said in The Official Status Thread:

@tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Discordapp on my phone

It has this infuriating habit:

• Discord Notification: Hey you have a message. [Message text here but truncated....]
    • click on notification, open client
    • The message that was just shown in the notification is not here. It takes 10+ seconds for it to load now. It was already downloaded!!!

Grumbles vehemently

It also has an obnoxious tendency to get stuck and refuse to update a conversation or channel until you... Well, I honestly don't know how to fix it, it kinda just does, eventually

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@lucas1 said in The Official Status Thread:

These carriages are awful to be in and apparently unsafe

It's the doors not sealing very well that is one of the safety issues (together with the whole train being flimsy). I utterly loathe those trains, and fortunately they're hardly ever used on my commute route and haven't been for many years.

@blakeyrat said in The Official Status Thread:

@dkf What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

With a BMW, the prick's on the inside.

I hear there's one little old man in Ireland who drives a BMW without being a prick. These days.

• Banned

@gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

As a rebuttal to your statement that a kid might get bored with just one channel.

"Will", not "might".

And since you can't rewatch the same thing over and over on a pre-programmed air channel, you prove my point agian.

Children as young as Molly don't understand the concept of episodes. So it doesn't really matter if it's the same episode or a new episode of the same show. Besides, kids channels air repeats very often.

@gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

As in, "get your chosen single fixed-schedule kids TV program on the internet".

So why did you want me to have a TV in the first place? And is there even a concept of "single fixed-schedule" when you're now watching it on the Internet where it's neither single or fixed schedule?

Yes, there is a concept of single fixed schedule if you're watching a channel with single fixed schedule.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/livestream

There's also several sites with lots of channels that you pay like ten bucks for. But if you're feeling really cheap, there are also some pirate sites too, though it's hard to find one, and when you do, to find what exactly they're streaming.

• @lorne-kates said in The Official Status Thread:

bolded text****

@pie_flavor said in The Official Status Thread:

:rolleyes:

You two really need to get a room somewhere. This is getting old (like me!) for this thread.

• kills Dumbledore

@dcon Don't worry, @julianlam has fixed the bugbolded text****

• @tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Your hard drive is probably failing

• @jaloopa Looks like it.

@timebandit said in The Official Status Thread:

Your hard drive is probably failing

Ah ha, haha, hhahahahahaaahaa... cries internally

Would that it would be so simple...

"oh? Got some bad neurons? We'll just swap those out real quick for you, no problem!"

Status: Apparently the Windows SDK decided to disappear itself from one day to the next. Literally went from hitting "Debug? Sure, I'll launch that for you." in Visual Studio last night to "Oh, you wanted to run? Haha go fuck yourself!" this morning.

• sekret PM club

Status: Finally got pissed off enough at my phone's battery shenanigans last night. It used to at least get to 20% battery before it would suddenly think "Oh, I'm out of battery. Shutting down!" Last night it did it at 35%.

So when my paycheck showed up in my bank this morning, I went and ordered myself a Pixel 2 XL.

Status: cherry-picking PushStreamContent from the AspNetWebStack repo because I want to push bytes onto the stream as I receive them and not have it assume that since the stream has no more bytes that it must be finished.

So far so good, except for some reason it's not liking that I'm providing a function instead of Action, whatever that is...

Or at least, that's what I'm understanding from the error message

Error	CS0121	The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: 'PushStreamContent.PushStreamContent(Action<Stream, HttpContent, TransportContext>)' and 'PushStreamContent.PushStreamContent(Func<Stream, HttpContent, TransportContext, Task>)'

• @tsaukpaetra From a cursory look, Action<T> returns void while Function<T, TResult> returns TResult.

Both of those are method pointers/delegates--you pass it a function reference and it does the needful. I think you can hand-wrap it in the appropriate type, but :kneeling_warthog:

@benjamin-hall said in The Official Status Thread:

@tsaukpaetra From a cursory look, Action<T> returns void while Function<T, TResult> returns TResult.

Both of those are method pointers/delegates--you pass it a function reference and it does the needful. I think you can hand-wrap it in the appropriate type, but :kneeling_warthog:

Yeah, I just called it async Task and it liked it better. 'Course, now it's complaining that I don't actually await in the function (because it's literally just assigning the Stream object into another stream in the chain), but that's whatever and not a real problem.

0_1520635245749_3866cd67-cf7a-4218-8d98-1bfa3974ee12-image.png

Turns out hunter2 is actually pretty popular!

• BINNED

Status: today was my last day at WtfTransportationCorp. Monday I start a contract-to-hire position at HopefullyNotWtfTransportationCorp.

• @antiquarian Coincidence: Today's my last day at my current client. Monday, I go back to the client I was working at before this one.

Or not coincidence. Since we're all alts of @boomzilla, it makes sense that we'd all be doing things at the same time.

Status: Wondering if I should google how to stop the automatic core-dump thing that freezes the system while python dies from this:

0_1520640053981_f3be7b39-22e7-4a6e-a44a-33756e84e9a9-image.png

The core dump is apparently grabbing all 3 GB of process memory and saving it.... somewhere.

• Considered Harmful

Status: Called the bank, got the thing squared. Apparently when it says 'member number', it actually means the first six digits of the nine-digit number you got. Because that's totally communicated somewhere. Now on to the wish-it-were-two-factor. Yet again, 32 characters max, which really makes questions like 'what is your favorite quote' completely useless. 5 questions from a pool of 20, almost all of which are 'favorite' or assume that I'm older than I am. And finally, the terms and conditions spent three paragraphs talking about a PIN, and it was never actually provided or used for anything.

• @pie_flavor said in The Official Status Thread:

5 questions from a pool of 20, almost all of which are 'favorite'

Those are terrible. The whole concept is bad, but at least a question like "What was the first name of the best man at your wedding?" (if, like me, you've been married, and only once) is completely unambiguous — I've had one wedding, with one best man, who has one first name, which can be spelled pretty much only one way, and which I am not likely to forget. At one time, I had the question "What is your favorite hobby?" I have a ton of hobbies, and which one is my favorite changes frequently. I have not an effing clue which one was my favorite the day I set up that account. That's why those questions now get answers like "jGugTiigGFfiojazmsdzldnajdhlAduaVCkcaSdsdfzjchnayczshdkhHasxhscJ" and KeyPass gets to remember them.

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor Oh god, that was a call and a half.
    So when I started going to school, a checking account was opened, and some starting money transferred in. Fast transfer was set up, overdraft and courtesy pay turned off, and all the details squared away, so I could handle living expenses easily enough and my dad could transfer more into it whenever it ran out.
    So the first real silliness is that my dad never actually put anything into the account and instead was waiting for me to ask for money. In a sane world, after a couple of months, the card would start getting declined, and I would realize he hadn't put anything into it and I'd call and ask him. That's not what happened. Instead, I end up with the card only starting to get declined eight months later.
    Fail #0 is obviously me not having signed up before this, where I could have caught it before it seriously ballooned. But that's beside the point. None of this should have happened.
    Fail #1: Overdrafting was actually turned on. The guy who set up the account told us we probably didn't want it on, and we said 'yeah, don't turn that on', and it was on. I learn this after I see a whole bunch of duplicated items on the report, where the second one is a credit instead of a charge, and I think to look at my savings account which now has a big fat zero on it. Hooray.
    Fail #2: Courtesy pay was turned on too. The account managed to go seven hundred in the red before they started declining anything. When they hand you a packet, and say 'sign here and here and here', you sign there and there and there. You could read over the details if you really want to know the fine points of how to maximize your abilities, but this is a fucking student checking account. What technicalities did I need to care about? Turns out one of those 'here's, which was NOT communicated at all, was the authorization to enable courtesy pay. And every single time something was purchased after the savings account went dead, I got a $30 charge in addition to whatever the purchase was. Fuck them. I managed to get a promise from them to get those reversed, after I came in and updated my identification. Because
    Fail #3: The identification on file isn't mine. They ask me for my student ID number, and then they tell me it's the wrong one, and I realize what happened. My mother got a new account at the same time as this one was being set up, and we both go to the same university (don't ask), and somehow this incompetent boob of a bank employee managed to use her student ID as the ID for my account. This is fucking scanned in, so there is NO excuse for this idiocy, ESPECIALLY since they have my passport on file too and therefore should be able to see the damn discrepancy between the photos! I had to use my passport number as secondary identification for the call, which was actually the third thing she tried, since
    Fail #4: The same idiot somehow managed to set a verbal password for my account. I still don't know what it is.
    Okay, so I got every feature turned off, the fee reversal, etc. Then I learn where the charge fee that they weren't going to reverse came from.
    Fail #5: If you have a recurring subscription, in any form, and there aren't enough funds to cover it in your account, and you have no overdraft sources and no courtesy pay, the charge will still go through and they'll charge you a $30 'insufficient funds' fee. This is only for recurring subscriptions and not for anything you have to manually authorize in any way. For bonus ducks, it's also only if you have something but not enough. If your account has precisely zero in it, this doesn't happen and the card just gets declined. But if it has anything in it, then the charge goes through, regardless of the courtesy pay setting. I asked the lady on the phone to pass on to her bosses that, quote, 'this is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard of', unquote, and she said she'd get right on that.
    Fail #6: I got no notification of literally any of this in any form. They have my phone number on file. They have my email address. They have my home mailing address and my residence hall box number. And I got NOTHING. I was in the middle of asking why, when
    Fail 7: At 6pm precisely, the call shut off because the bank closed.

pie_flavor 🔫

• Got my paints out again for the first time in a while:

0_1520651336988_MVIMG_20180309_220725.jpg

This one's nearly done--just the hair and skin tones, plus a few accents left to do.

At 6pm precisely, the call shut off because the bank closed.

Wow.

You know, this whole long saga makes me appreciate my banks rather more.

• @dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

You know, this whole long saga makes me appreciate my banks rather more.

Had a similar incident once with my insurance company.

So, In Germany you're legally required to have health insurance. You also cannot change health insurance providers without notifying your old provider via a letter from the new provider that you'll be indeed insured at the new provider. That as background information.

Students at university get healthcare at the minimum rate - you just have to hand in your certification that you're indeed still enrolled at university every semester. Strangely enough, though, the university will also notify your insurance company if you drop out.

I was about midway through my studies at university when I discovered that I didn't really like one of my majors (as a teacher you need at least two majors). Thus I switched it to another one and changed to another university in the process.

This, of course, made me "drop out" at my old university but I'd seamlessly begin studying at the new university. Notified my health insurer of that fact and even got them a certification from my new university to that effect.

Began my studies there, went to the dentist once and also to the hospital because a kidney stone was acting up (kind of a prelude to two rather epic hospital episodes years later).

Half a year later I got a letter from my health insurer that I was to send my insurance chip card back because I wasn't insured with them anymore for half a year now. Because they had gotten the letter from my former university that I had dropped out and obviously had forgotten that I told them about this beforehand...

So, in essence: They were legally not allowed to drop me but they tried to nonetheless. They didn't even deign to inform me of this fact. They also only noticed half a year later. They also kind of didn't notice that I had used their insurance for two (expensive) medical issues. And then they tried to blame it on me, of course.

Status: Wondering if I should google how to stop the automatic core-dump thing that freezes the system while python dies from this:

0_1520640053981_f3be7b39-22e7-4a6e-a44a-33756e84e9a9-image.png

The core dump is apparently grabbing all 3 GB of process memory and saving it.... somewhere.

ulimit -c 0

• Status: Some of you may remember that I applied for an administrative job at my school. Today I received official confirmation that I'm on the short list for this posting and that I'll have to go through two days of tests.

For that I'll have to report to a completely different school on both days.

First day will involve me sitting in the back of someone else's class and grading him according to an official grading system. Then we'll have to sit down and talk about my observations. That's something also in the job description - it's not so much of a "get an F and you're out a job!" but more a supervision thing: Does this teacher have a clear agenda? How does he treat his puils? Are there any problems we could improve upon? Or does he do an outstanding job and should be considered for more advanced tasks?

Second day will involve getting a typical school scenarion involving my potential job - e.g. I've got two department heads at odds with each other concerning budget decisions I made (that's just a made-up example, though. I have no clue what the scenario will actually be!). I then have 15 minutes to develop a presentation on how to deal with the scenario and present it.
    After that there will be a more general talk regarding my general views on how I will fulfill my job.

That'll be fun. ;)

I'll get my mother to coach me a bit on the "grade another teacher" bit because beforehand I was only on the other side - she's the acting principal of her school and currently has to do eight such gradings so she'll be able to give me some pointers.

I'm also not quite sure how to interpret the "Youre on the short list" part of the letter - I know that this post had only four applicants, me included. Does that mean someone else (or maybe even plural) dropped out?
    Could also mean nothing and simply be a standard phrase :)

• :belt_onion:

You could read over the details if you really want to know the fine points of how to maximize your abilities, but this is a fucking student checking account. What technicalities did I need to care about?

Well, given that it's your money at stake... All of them, as it turns out. (And as you learned.)

• @rhywden said in The Official Status Thread:

Some of you may remember that I applied for an administrative job at my school.

Those who can, do.
    Those who can't, teach.
    Those who can't teach, become adminsitrators.

:face_with_stuck-out_tongue_winking_eye:

@rhywden said in The Official Status Thread:

I'm also not quite sure how to interpret the "Youre on the short list" part of the letter - I know that this post had only four applicants, me included.

Sounds like the list was pretty short to begin with.

Status: used the electric plumbing snake to clear out the shower drain (an annual activity).

That was exhausting, and now I'm having trouble standing.

The tremor in my hips is new though...

Let's play "Spot the critical difference!"

Working:

<StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal" Background="White" Grid.Row="0" Padding="12">
                <ComboBox ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.Cities, Mode=OneWay}" Header="Nearest City" Margin="12,0,0,0" SelectedItem="{x:Bind ViewModel.SelectedCity, Mode=TwoWay}"/>
                <ComboBox ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.Sizes, Mode=OneWay}" Header="Possible Sizes"  Margin="12,0,0,0" SelectedItem="{x:Bind ViewModel.SelectedSize, Mode=TwoWay}"/>
                <TextBox Header="How Many?" Text="{x:Bind ViewModel.Number, Mode=TwoWay}" Margin="12,0,0,0"/>
                <Button Content="Go!" Command="{x:Bind ViewModel.GenerateCommand}" Width="128" Margin="24,0,0,0" VerticalAlignment="Stretch"/>
            </StackPanel>
            <GridView Grid.Row="1" ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.SettlementModels, Mode=OneWay}" SelectionMode="Multiple" />

vs

Not Working:

<StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal" Background="White" Grid.Row="0" Padding="12">
                <ComboBox ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.Cities, Mode=OneWay}" Header="Nearest City" Margin="12,0,0,0" SelectedItem="{x:Bind ViewModel.SelectedCity, Mode=TwoWay}"/>
                <ComboBox ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.Sizes, Mode=OneWay}" Header="Possible Sizes"  Margin="12,0,0,0" SelectedItem="{x:Bind ViewModel.SelectedSize, Mode=TwoWay}"/>
                <TextBox Header="How Many?" Text="{x:Bind ViewModel.Number, Mode=TwoWay}" Margin="12,0,0,0"/>
                <Button Content="Go!" Command="{x:Bind ViewModel.GenerateCommand}" Width="128" Margin="24,0,0,0" VerticalAlignment="Stretch"/>
            </StackPanel>
            <GridView Grid.Column="1" ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.SettlementModels, Mode=OneWay}" SelectionMode="Multiple" />

I don't want to confess how long it took to realize that this was keeping clicks from getting through to the stack-panel elements...

Let's play "Spot the critical difference!"

Working:

</StackPanel>
            <GridView Grid.Row="1" ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.SettlementModels, Mode=OneWay}" SelectionMode="Multiple" />

vs

Not Working:

</StackPanel>
            <GridView Grid.Column="1" ItemsSource="{x:Bind ViewModel.SettlementModels, Mode=OneWay}" SelectionMode="Multiple" />

I don't want to confess how long it took to realize that this was keeping clicks from getting through to the stack-panel elements...

Why is your gridview on Column1 instead of Column0?

• @tsaukpaetra More specifically, why isn't it in row 1 (like it's supposed to be)?

@tsaukpaetra More specifically, why isn't it in row 1 (like it's supposed to be)?

Oh. Well.... Raisins? :face_with_open_mouth_cold_sweat:

Status: that's right, in order to apply a 7mb update, I need to have more than 350mb free... Of course...

0_1520746455591_Screenshot_20180310-223120.png

• @tsaukpaetra The stackpanel seems to be in column 0.

0_1520753593958_6ad6293e-ff97-4d41-83ff-a6e8fd12196b-image.png

• Status: someone lent me their MacBook to use... but I can't use it now because it's installing system updates. Good to see Apple does that too.

@rhywden said in The Official Status Thread:

I'm also not quite sure how to interpret the "Youre on the short list" part of the letter - I know that this post had only four applicants, me included. Does that mean someone else (or maybe even plural) dropped out?
    Could also mean nothing and simply be a standard phrase :)

It's going to be a standard phrase; the practice of how to do hiring is likely to be extremely constrained by law (and the need to stop anyone from feeling like they've got the shaft too much and suing). It means that they've formally gone through the list of candidates, decided who has a reasonable chance of meeting the formal criteria and is worth bringing in for the tests/interview part of the hiring process. It's entirely possible for everyone who applies for a post to be shortlisted… but only if somehow the idiots who apply for everything despite being fundamentally unqualified miss seeing the ad. (Occasionally, things get filtered more strongly first, depending on the number of candidates, the seniority of the position, and the requirements/desired abilities, but that doesn't sound like it was needed this time.)

Status: Cooking up a batch of Persian Lamb and Rhubarb stew. :face_savouring_delicious_food:

The tremor in my hips is new though...

Status: awe shit, knew that was going to have a sequence of effects.

It is now morning (approximately) and I find I can't sit on my ass because of how sore it is. And I can't stand because ouch.

Status: searching for something I can lay on facedown with a hole in it. Because laying on my back is also painful.

It is now morning (approximately) and I find I can't sit on my ass because of how sore it is. And I can't stand because ouch.
    Status: searching for something I can lay on facedown with a hole in it. Because laying on my back is also painful.

Sounds like you're ready for this medical device:

0_1520791185600_Belmont_Mahogany__70839.1427738699.950.750.jpg

Surprisingly enough, horizontal alcoves aren't as comfortable as vertical ones. Alas, I have neither, so it's rather mu, since I lack the proper mounting and so never made one... Not to mention the loss of efficiency in having to stand up after ejecting.

• @dkf My middle name is amb and Rh!

Status: error detected in left eye. Unknown undetected obstruction verification failure.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@anonymous234 said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: someone lent me their MacBook to use... but I can't use it now because it's installing system updates. Good to see Apple does that too.

What updates? The os has always been this version. The best version. Are you having difficulties appreciating iOS, Apple User?

• Considered Harmful

0_1520806387388_1515488367925.jpg

Status: wait, WTF? When did the menu buttons and sidebar start working correctly again?

0_1520824341080_94a3fcdd-3d7a-4a3b-b936-9e07d98c4133-image.png