Protecting the truly important stuff

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@drurowin said:

Once I'm out of there, I'm going to be writing up my whole door-to-door experience with these guys, unredacted, and post it to another forum I'm a member of, but I'll link it here.
    Is anyone going to bring claims for constructive dismissal in this whole sorry affair? If ever there was something that merited this sort of claim, it was this, and it really encourages the owners to take a good hard think about what matters. (Sounds like the former head of HR is one of those who really needs to be one of the plaintiffs too.)

• @dkf said:

@drurowin said:
    Once I'm out of there, I'm going to be writing up my whole door-to-door experience with these guys, unredacted, and post it to another forum I'm a member of, but I'll link it here.
    Is anyone going to bring claims for constructive dismissal in this whole sorry affair? If ever there was something that merited this sort of claim, it was this, and it really encourages the owners to take a good hard think about what matters. (Sounds like the former head of HR is one of those who really needs to be one of the plaintiffs too.)
    The former head of HR, the secretary who got fired after triggering the alarm, and my supervisor are.  I'm considering it.

@drurowin said:

@dkf said:
    [constructive dismissal?]
    The former head of HR, the secretary who got fired after triggering the alarm, and my supervisor are.  I'm considering it.
    Good.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of a place that's got so bad that the head of HR has left and is pressing a case for CD. Makes me appreciate my current employer just that bit more.

• @dkf said:

Makes me appreciate my current employer just that bit more.

I know - drurowin needs to be stopped immediately; people will start appreciating their own, less insane bosses, and we'll all be screwed when that catches on.

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:
    "It's damned outrageous that they'd charge their own employees to use the toilets!" was their building manager's comment.

You guys need to take a cue from us and rebel: No vocation without defecation!

I've just arrived at the office here for the morning, actually, and based on the odours, it seems someone has already defecated somewhere inappropriate.  The cleaners are searching for the source of the smell.

Animals, these people are. Shitting on the floor on on the sink or smearing it on the walls or door handles makes me go into an incandescent, Blakeylike rage, and makes me briefly want 24-7-monitored video cameras in the goddamn stalls to catch people like that and summarily execute them.

Seriously, in Tampa, I walked into a McDonald's bathroom once and there was shit on the door handle on the inside of the restroom door. If you beat the fucker who did that within an inch of his life not a jury in the land would convict.

• @drurowin said:

Basically "Please don't all quit at once.  Please.  He's a raving fucking lunatic and we've got him strapped to a chair and pumped full of thorazine. 

"Certainly. Please remove this stupid toilet policy and have him issue a public apology."

@drurowin said:

I did get offered the other job.  It's about £3K less pa, but I'll get extra holi-days and I won't have to pay to poop.

Result!

@drurowin said:

Double Result!

• @FrostCat said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:
    "It's damned outrageous that they'd charge their own employees to use the toilets!" was their building manager's comment.

You guys need to take a cue from us and rebel: No vocation without defecation!

I've just arrived at the office here for the morning, actually, and based on the odours, it seems someone has already defecated somewhere inappropriate.  The cleaners are searching for the source of the smell.

Animals, these people are. Shitting on the floor on on the sink or smearing it on the walls or door handles makes me go into an incandescent, Blakeylike rage, and makes me briefly want 24-7-monitored video cameras in the goddamn stalls to catch people like that and summarily execute them.

Seriously, in Tampa, I walked into a McDonald's bathroom once and there was shit on the door handle on the inside of the restroom door. If you beat the fucker who did that within an inch of his life not a jury in the land would convict.

I'd just make sure the body was never found.

@drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

Since it was like that--and empty--when I got there, there's no way to know who to kill.

Grr. Man spreads shit on a door handle, he deserves to die. And yes, I told the staff about it so they could clean it.

• @FrostCat said:

@drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

Since it was like that--and empty--when I got there, there's no way to know who to kill.

Grr. Man spreads shit on a door handle, he deserves to die. And yes, I told the staff about it so they could clean it.

HOW DID YOU GET OUT OF THE RESTROOM?

• @Ben L. said:

On television people always escape by going out the bathroom window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkdjMxTdrU8

@Ben L. said:

@FrostCat said:
    @drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

I'm tempted to tell you AFTER you find yourself in the same situation. But what I did was use a thick wad of TP to avoid touching the handle directly.

• @FrostCat said:

@Ben L. said:
    @FrostCat said:
    @drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

I'm tempted to tell you AFTER you find yourself in the same situation. But what I did was use a thick wad of TP to avoid touching the handle directly.

•  So, it's gotten worse.  This morning, all of the bathroom meters just showed an "international no sign", with a message that said "not available".  Right at 8 AM, they called everyone to the cafeteria.

One of the senior board members was down there with the head of security.  Once he was pretty sure everyone was in, he said: "To address staff dissatisfaction with having to pay for the use of toilet facilities, we are ending that programme effective today.  However, to address the costs of vandalism and toilet misuse, the only toilets now operational are the ones on the first floor by the security guard workstation.  All access will be logged, and the toilets will be inspected between users to ensure that cleanliness is maintained, but the toilets will once again be free to use."

They've gone from pay-to-poop to having the Flush and Wash Your Hands Inspector.

I'm glad I'm out of here in a week.

• @drurowin said:

the only toilets now operational are the ones on the first floor by the security guard workstation.
    Aren't there some occupational health and welfare regulations that require a minimum ratio of toilets to employees? This seems likely to violate that. Although, with the recent drastic reduction in headcount, it might not.

• @drurowin said:

So, it's gotten worse.

Crazy will always find another excuse to express its craziness.

• I hope somebody laughed scornfully at that last announcement? I'd have started snickering gently, but obviously enough to attract attention, then slowly crescendoed through giggling into a full barrelled maniacal belly laugh... Possibly finishing with a few sighs of relief and an "oh you GUYS! You're really KILLING IT!"

• It's time for a series of beautifully gift wrapped turds to start queuing in the boss's pigeon hole.

• @flabdablet said:

It's time for a series of beautifully gift wrapped turds to start queuing in the boss's pigeon hole.

Do you have any idea how unpleasant it would be to gift-wrap shit? Totally not worth it, unless you can outsource it.

... this could be a good idea for a startup!!! let's call Techcrunch (dibs on ShipSomeShit.com).

@Ronald said:

@FrostCat said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @FrostCat said:
    @drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

I'm sure this was meant sarcastically but I LLOLed.

• @drurowin said:

So, it's gotten worse.  This morning, all of the bathroom meters just showed an "international no sign", with a message that said "not available".  Right at 8 AM, they called everyone to the cafeteria.

One of the senior board members was down there with the head of security.  Once he was pretty sure everyone was in, he said: "To address staff dissatisfaction with having to pay for the use of toilet facilities, we are ending that programme effective today.  However, to address the costs of vandalism and toilet misuse, the only toilets now operational are the ones on the first floor by the security guard workstation.  All access will be logged, and the toilets will be inspected between users to ensure that cleanliness is maintained, but the toilets will once again be free to use."

They've gone from pay-to-poop to having the Flush and Wash Your Hands Inspector.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I don't believe you. The whole time, I've had my suspicions you are making this up, but this is the last straw.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

So, it's gotten worse.  This morning, all of the bathroom meters just showed an "international no sign", with a message that said "not available".  Right at 8 AM, they called everyone to the cafeteria.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I don't believe you. The whole time, I've had my suspicions you are making this up, but this is the last straw.

I think this is a true story but told from a biased perspective. I'm sure all kinds of weird stuff was going on in that bathroom, like people stealing mints from the urinals or stuffing shit in soap dispensers.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

I've got a few photos of the equipment today, sadly only saying "NOT AVAILABLE" instead of demanding money.  (I needed to run in and get something from my desk today, and security didn't fully shake me down because I was only gonna be a sec.)  I'll post em when I post the whole story, as they have the company logo on em, and I know if I do any photoshoppery to em, I'll have people crying FAKE from the rooftops.

• @Ronald said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @drurowin said:

I think this is a true story but told from a biased perspective. I'm sure all kinds of weird stuff was going on in that bathroom, like people stealing mints from the urinals or stuffing shit in soap dispensers.

I'm not "in the know" on everything that went on, and I'm only telling what I 100% know as fact.  I've heard rumors about what happened, including someone leaving the third floor toilets looking like the shit monster from Dogma had just come to life in them, but I didn't personally witness this, and I never heard a statement saying "Alright, this happened, now you fuckers have to pay to shit."  The official reason has always been "vandal prevention" and "cleaning costs".

• @drurowin said:

I'll post em when I post the whole story, as they have the company logo on em, and I know if I do any photoshoppery to em, I'll have people crying FAKE from the rooftops.

That's very convenient. Of course, finding photos of a pay toilet device isn't really that hard, so I'm not sure how convincing it will be.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:
    I'll post em when I post the whole story, as they have the company logo on em, and I know if I do any photoshoppery to em, I'll have people crying FAKE from the rooftops.

That's very convenient. Of course, finding photos of a pay toilet device isn't really that hard, so I'm not sure how convincing it will be.

I'll find some excuse to go back over there tomorrow and tape a sign to it that says "Fuck you, Morbs", or something.  Of course, then you'll accuse me of having found these at the local shopping mall...

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

I'll find some excuse to go back over there tomorrow and tape a sign to it that says "Fuck you, Morbs", or something.  Of course, then you'll accuse me of having found these at the local shopping mall...

Probably. Sorry, but I just have trouble believing your story. I held my tongue until the part about making the security guard inspect after each person uses the restroom. Not only is that crazy, it's unfeasible for a company with as many people as you mentioned.

My other problem is that you have a history of trolling. Which is fine, it's kind of funny to people get sucked in by your elaborate lies, but it makes me wary of getting sucked in. Maybe you're telling the truth, but I'm taking it safe and assuming you're putting us on.

• Considered Harmful

I find it suspicious that it all went down promptly after Snoofle started a restroom WTF thread, which it completely hijacked.

• @joe.edwards said:

I find it suspicious that it all went down promptly after Snoofle started a restroom WTF thread, which it completely hijacked.

Exactly. And now the CEO is out, employees are fleeing, drurowin has a new job and the company is on the line? And yet the board, who apparently has taken over, and who were positioned in his previous story as being sympathetic to the employees, they now make the employees essentially poop or pee in front of a guard?

• @Ronald said:

Do you have any idea how unpleasant it would be to gift-wrap shit?

Only slightly more unpleasant than being caught short behind the queue of 100 other people waiting in line for the only available shitter, I would have thought.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@joe.edwards said:

Exactly. And now the CEO is out, employees are fleeing, drurowin has a new job and the company is on the line? And yet the board, who apparently has taken over, and who were positioned in his previous story as being sympathetic to the employees, they now make the employees essentially poop or pee in front of a guard?

The CEO's still there, just isn't allowed to speak publicly for the time being.  The board members are just being the mouthpieces atm, and don't seem much more sympathetic; they seem more trying to prevent lawsuits.

As for employee turnover, yeah there was a pile of badges on the security desk, but it doesn't look like a ghost town or anything in the office.  If I had to guess, it's probably 5% or less quit over this fiasco.  Also, once I post the full unredacted story (with company names), you should be able to independently verify it.  Hell, ring them and ask!

I didn't post this before because I didn't think anyone CARED how fucked up the toilets were at someone's office.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Aren't there some occupational health and welfare regulations that require a minimum ratio of toilets to employees?
    Yes. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title29-vol5/xml/CFR-2011-title29-vol5-sec1910-141.xml

• @El_Heffe said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    Aren't there some occupational health and welfare regulations that require a minimum ratio of toilets to employees?
    Yes. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title29-vol5/xml/CFR-2011-title29-vol5-sec1910-141.xml
    Drurowin isn't in the US, so that doesn't apply, but I would assume the UK has something similar. The latest move by his employer might be not only stupid, but actually criminal.

• @drurowin said:

I didn't post this before because I didn't think anyone CARED how fucked up the toilets were at someone's office.

Now I know you're lying. Everyone loves a good toilet story. (Well, except chicks..)

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

Now I know you're lying. Everyone loves a good toilet story. (Well, except chicks..)

Pretty sure both the literal and the intended meaning of the part in parentheses is wrong.

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @drurowin said:

Pretty sure both the literal and the intended meaning of the part in parentheses is wrong.

Read it again, he said "chicks" not "cats", so that's not your area of expertise.

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @drurowin said:

Well, women love a good toilet story when they're among hens, but will pretend to hate toilet stories told by men.

@HardwareGeek said:

@El_Heffe said:
    @HardwareGeek said:
    Drurowin isn't in the US, so that doesn't apply, but I would assume the UK has something similar. The latest move by his employer might be not only stupid, but actually criminal.
    How many toilets should a workplace have? (looks like 5 per 100 people, roughly.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

Yeah I thought the same right after the "Crazy CEO at the meeting" post. But then I thought, if he really does post verifiable facts after leaving then, you know, benefit of the doubt; there is one of my previous employers bordering on policies nearly this fucked up.

And either way, it makes a damn funny story.

• In my view, an entertainingly recounted lie is still better than everyone else's usual pile of drearily related truth.

• @eViLegion said:

In my view, an entertainingly recounted lie is still better than everyone else's usual pile of drearily related truth.

Oh, absolutely. I wasn't criticizing him for lying.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

@eViLegion said:
    In my view, an entertainingly recounted lie is still better than everyone else's usual pile of drearily related truth.

Huh? Then WTF were you doing?

@morbs FROM THE PAST! said:

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I don't believe you. The whole time,
    I've had my suspicions you are making this up, but this is the last
    straw.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Stating a fact. With somewhat accusational language, but eh.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@eViLegion said:

@morbs FROM THE PAST! said:

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I don't believe you. The whole time,
    I've had my suspicions you are making this up, but this is the last
    straw.

I was criticizing him for taking his lie too far. It was entertaining and it tricked a lot of people, but the part about guards looking in after you poop or pee was too much.

It's like how one time I was hanging out with this chick I was into and I called someone we both hated a "lousy cocksucker". She did the whole "don't hate on gays thing" so in a burst of cleverness I said "I wasn't being homophobic. I was criticizing his technique when he performs oral sex on other men. Hence the 'lousy' part." She bought it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I was criticizing him for taking his lie too far. It was entertaining and it tricked a lot of people, but the part about guards looking in after you poop or pee was too much.

It's like how one time I was hanging out with this chick I was into and I called someone we both hated a "lousy cocksucker". She did the whole "don't hate on gays thing" so in a burst of cleverness I said "I wasn't being homophobic. I was criticizing his technique when he performs oral sex on other men. Hence the 'lousy' part." She bought it.

Smooth. Did you have a mentos?

• @morbiuswilters said:

It's like how one time I was hanging out with this chick I was into

Don't be a tease, tell us, did she pick chocolate or vanilla?

• @Ronald said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    It's like how one time I was hanging out with this chick I was into

I am deeply offended. She has no party hat at all!

@Ronald said:

Seriously - how do people allow themselves to get that... bad?

• @PJH said:

@Ronald said:
    Seriously - how do people allow themselves to get that... bad?

• Off topic but the thread has already gone that way anyhow, it is toilet related though.

My employer recognised that the toilets were in urgent need of refurbishment but couldn't get the money to do it together in a single year, so it was decided that they would do the gents first, then the ladies the next year.

So last year, they did the gents out and bought in a couple of chemical toilets to put outside. Two was not enough for the number of men working in the building and you know how disgusting those portapotties get anyway, towards the end people started to avoid them all together, instead waiting for a break, signing out of the building and going elsewhere.

Now the time has come to do out the ladies and a sign has gone up on the noticeboard warning everyone that the ladies toilets will be off limits while they are being refurbished ... please use the executive bathroom upstairs instead!

• @EncoreSpod said:

signing out of the building

Man, where do you work where you have to sign out of the building? Lame.