The Official Status Thread

• β™Ώ (Parody)

22 posts were merged into an existing topic: πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ MLP Resume Boning :giggity:

• β™Ώ (Parody)

A post was split to a new topic: πŸ”₯ Blatantly libelous racism

• FoxDev

@mott555 said:

i wish we would, so i could mute the whole fxcking thing.

• A post was split to a new topic: πŸ”₯ Blatantly libelous racism

Ok, that's a topic I can mute without reading even a single post.

• FoxDev

• FoxDev

yeah.

AzidoAzide Azide is pretty nasty stuff.

but at least that will only explode..... Thioacetone is terrifying!

• Please. The really nasty stuff are hypergolic propellants (a type of rocket fuel).

That species of compounds usually includes several properties like: corrosive, explosive, flammable, toxic, cancerogenic and foul smelling.

Some rare specimen even have all of those.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Just noticed that @accalia and @RaceProUK are concatenating their avatars again! πŸ˜ƒ

• FoxDev

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Status: Just noticed that @accalia and @RaceProUK are concatenating their avatars again! πŸ˜ƒ

thanks to the incredible artwork talent of our own @r10pez10!

• @accalia said:

AzidoAzide Azide

That's way too many azides in one molecule.

• FoxDev

@Rhywden said:

Please. The really nasty stuff are hypergolic propellants (a type of rocket fuel).

oh those are nasty.... very much so.

Flouroantimonic acid though.....

that stuff eats through glass like it is cotton candy!

• FoxDev

@HardwareGeek said:

@accalia said:
    AzidoAzide Azide

That's way too many azides in one molecule.

that is indeed far too many nitrogens in one molecule... the chemical formula for that one os C2N14 IIRC.... yeah.....

• This is a quote from the foreword of Ignition! by John D. Clarke:

But the years passed and our paths separated. The war ended and I returned to Columbia to go after my PhD (which John had already earned by the time I first met him) while he went into the happy business of designing rocket fuels.

Now it is clear that anyone working with rocket fuels is outstandingly mad. I don't mean garden-variety crazy or a merely raving lunatic. I mean a record-shattering exponent of far-out insanity.

There are, after all, some chemicals that explode shatteringly, some that flame ravenously, some that corrode hellishly, some that poison sneakily, and some that stink stenchily. As far as I know, though, only liquid rocket fuels have all these delightful properties combined into one delectable whole.

• Garbage Person

Chlorine triflouride.

[Quote]ClF3 is a very strong oxidizing and fluorinating agent. It is extremely reactive with most inorganic and organic materials, including glass and teflon, and will initiate the combustion of many otherwise non-flammable materials without any ignition source. These reactions are often violent, and in some cases explosive. Vessels made from steel, copper or nickel resist the attack of the material due to formation of a thin layer of insoluble metal fluoride, but molybdenum, tungsten and titanium form volatile fluorides and are consequently unsuitable. Any equipment that comes into contact with chlorine trifluoride must be scrupulously cleaned and then passivated, because any contamination left may burn through the passivation layer faster than it can re-form.

The power to surpass the oxidizing ability of oxygen leads to extreme corrosivity against oxide-containing materials often thought as incombustible. Chlorine trifluoride and gases like it have been reported to ignite sand, asbestos, and other highly fire-retardant materials. In an industrial accident, a spill of 900 kg of chlorine trifluoride burned through 30 cm of concrete and 90 cm of gravel beneath.[13] Fire control/suppression is incapable of suppressing this oxidation, so the surrounding area must simply be kept cool until the reaction ceases.[14] The compound reacts violently with water-based suppressors, and oxidizes in the absence of atmospheric oxygen, rendering atmosphere-displacement suppressors such as CO2 and halon completely ineffective. It ignites glass on contact.[15]

Exposure of larger amounts of chlorine trifluoride, as a liquid or as a gas, ignites tissue. The hydrolysis reaction with water is violent and exposure results in a thermal burn. The products of hydrolysis are mainly hydrofluoric acid and hydrochloric acid, usually released as steam or vapor due to the highly exothermic nature of the reaction. Hydrofluoric acid is corrosive to human tissue, is absorbed through skin, selectively attacks bone, interferes with nerve function, and causes often-fatal fluorine poisoning. Hydrochloric acid is secondary in its danger to living organisms, but is several times more corrosive to most inorganic materials than hydrofluoric acid[/quote]

• Another idea which didn't get anywhere, was that of a heterogeneous fuel β€”a suspension, or slurry, of a powdered metal, such as aluminum, in a liquid fuel such as gasoline. This had been suggested by several writers, among them Tsander in Russia and Sanger in Austria, and Heinz Mueller of BMW tried it out, using powdered aluminum or magnesium in diesel oil. The performance was very poor β€”the chamber pressure was 50 to 100 psi instead of the 300 they were shooting for β€”due to the incomplete combustion of the metal.

But the other results were spectacular. The motor was fired in a horizontal position against an inclined wall to deflect the exhaust stream upwards. But the unburned metal particles settled down and decorated all the pine trees in the vicinity with a nice, shiny, silvery coating β€” very suitable for Christmas trees. The slurry idea was to emerge again twenty years later, to drive another generation of experimenters crazy.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said:

Ok, that's a topic I can mute without reading even a single post.

There's nothing there except 2 people calling me a racist, so you're not missing much.

• @accalia said:

i assume ST is Short Term?

>git help st Launching default browser to display HTML ... fatal: failed to launch browser for C:\Program Files\Git\mingw64/share/doc/git-doc/gitst.html

Welp, that didn't help...
    (inspired by

@loopback0 said:

= help("")
    )

• @antiquarian said:

There's nothing there except 2 people calling me a racist, so you're not missing much.

Considering who around here would be likely to be calling someone racist, I wouldn't be missing anything even if it were a "civilized" discussion.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said:

Considering who around here would be likely to be calling someone racist, I wouldn't be missing anything even if it were a "civilized" discussion.

You think those people are capable of having even a "civilized" discussion?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41804_106912742692223_23_n.jpg

• @HardwareGeek said:

Having a separate card kept in your wallet can lead to odd-looking behavior like waving one's butt at the card reader to get in.

That's why I like mine around my neck (and my CalTrain pass goes there too)

@JazzyJosh said:

Also those retractable id holders are junk

Can't be said enough. I went to the neck thing after several chairs held me hostage because of that damn retractable piece of shit.

• Status: I normally like SQLite for small embedded databases. However, when my creation script with a few dozen tables fails,

near "X": syntax error:

is NOT a helpful error message.

• @HardwareGeek said:

like stealing the workstation itself

That's easy here - everyone has laptops.

• But then Pino, in 1949, made a discovery that can fairly be described as revolting. He discovered that butyl mercaptan was very rapidly hypergolic with mixed acid. This naturally delighted Standard of California, whose crudes contained large quantities of mercaptans and sulfides which had to be removed in order to make their gasoline socially acceptable. So they had drums and drums of mixed butyl mercaptans, and no use for it. If they could only sell it for rocket fuel
    life would indeed be beautiful.

Well, it had two virtues, or maybe three. It was hypergolic with mixed acid, and it had a rather high density for a fuel. And it wasn't corrosive. But its performance was below that of a straight hydrocarbon, and its odor β€” ! Well, its odor was something to consider.

Intense, pervasive and penetrating, and resembling the stink of an enraged skunk, but surpassing, by far, the best efforts of the most vigorous specimen of Mephitis mephitis. It also clings to the clothes and the skin. But rocketeers are a hardy breed, and the stuff was duly and successfully fired, although it is rumored that certain rocket mechanics were excluded from their car pools and had to run behind. Ten years after it was fired at the Naval Air Rocket Test Station β€” NARTS
    β€” the odor was still noticeable around the test areas. (And at NARTS, with more zeal than judgment, I actually developed an analysis for it!)

California Research had an extremely posh laboratory at Richmond, on San Francisco Bay, and that was where Pino started his investigations. But when he started working on the mercaptans, he and his accomplices were exiled to a wooden shack out in the boondocks at least two hundred yards from the main building. Undeterred and unrepentant, he continued his noisome endeavors, but it is very much worth noting that their emphasis had changed. His next candidates
    were not petroleum by-products, nor were they chemicals which were commercially available. They were synthesized by his own crew, specifically for fuels. Here, at the very beginning of the 50s, the chemists started taking over from the engineers, synthesizing new propellants (which were frequently entirely new compounds) to order, instead of being content with items off the shelf.

Anyhow, he came up with the ethyl mercaptal of acetaldehyde and the ethyl mercaptol of acetone, with the skeleton structures:

respectively. The odor of these was not so much skunk-like as garlicky, the epitome and concentrate of all the back doors of all the bad Greek restaurants in all the world. And finally he surpassed himself with something that had a dimethylamino group attached to a mercaptan sulfur, and whose odor can't, with all the resources of the English language, even be described.

It also drew flies. This was too much,even for Pino and his unregenerate crew, and they banished it to a hole in the ground another two hundred yards farther out into the tule marshes. Some months later, in the dead of night, they surreptitiously
    consigned it to the bottom of San Francisco Bay.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@dcon said:

Can't be said enough. I went to the neck thing after several chairs held me hostage because of that damn retractable piece of shit.

What is happening in your lives that your chairs are so interested in your badges?
    Are they on your rear end or something?

• @Fox said:

it died after about 26 hours that day

Either you're traveling very quickly, or someone has a really good interstellar network connection...

[spoiler]No, I won't spoil it because it's so good you have to see it[/spoiler]

• We could tell Fox we've migrated and the flame category is the new forum. This idea just gets better!

• @Cursorkeys said:

Unknown year! Can't serialise.

I initially parsed that as Can't (be) serious

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Magus said:

We could tell Fox we've migrated and the flame categorystormfront.org is the new forum. This idea just gets better!

FTFY

• @Lorne_Kates said:

What can possibly justify MONTHLY UPDATES?

GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!! Everyone's getting on the release train now!

• +4.834924e9999999

This would honestly be the greatest event in human history.

Does BIND allow you to return information based on requesting IP?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

Just start THAT playlist at the game you want.

Sure, I'll just onebox partway through a list or WAIT THAT DOESN'T WORK IN ANY WAY I CAN THINK OF!

@blakeyrat said:

Nothing's stopping YOU from making a playlist for Dreamscapes 2, you lazy fucker.

And nothing's stopping YOU from making it easier for people to view a stream of videos that's being discussed right now, you stupid fucker. Sorry for trying to recommend your videos to a wider audience. I'm sure being a stupid fucker will do wonders for your view count. Good job keep up that prediction that your hobbies will never be anything more than that, due to not gaining traction.

@Lorne_Kates said:

I'm sure being a stupid fucker will do wonders for your view count.

It seems to have worked wonders for pewdiepie.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

Fuck you assholes, this is the status thread.

Look, RacePropeciaUK is back like a week and already the bullshit's seeping in again.

Status: I clicked the "In reply to" icon to see what the hell the "bullshit" is. Discourse changes the avatar to "loading" for half a second, then does nothing.

A reply to a deleted post?
    A reply to a jeff'd post?
    A sever error?

WHO KNOWS! :dick::snores:

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

My boxer mix does that, but he likes to also rub his head against the side of the Ottoman[1].

[1] The footstool, not the other kind.

@dcon said:

went to the neck thing after several chairs held me hostage because of that damn retractable piece of shit.

When I had to wear a badge, I used a retractable thing, but I left it on my belt, roughly where one of my front pockets were. Never had it snag on anything, and since it wasn't technically below the waist nobody could rightly insist I move it higher, where it might cause the problem you had.

Status: ... shit, I had a story that was either funny or entertainingly annoying, but by the time I got to the bottom of the thread I forgot it.

• Garbage Person

Status: ex-coworker's machine, the one that's not two years old, but is on it's fourth hard drive. I've been using intermittently for a while and eventually I realized it's really fucking slow. Bring up task manager...I don't think that 12000ms response times are appropriate. Tried swapping SATA ports & cables, no effect. Fucked up controller I assume.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@FrostCat said:

Status: ... shit, I had a story that was either funny or entertainingly annoying, but by the time I got to the bottom of the thread I forgot it.

Reading is a :barrier: to discussion *

• talking to hear your own voice that is because no one else will be paying attention to anything but their own voice too

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Weng said:

God? There is no God here to help you. No Jesus. No Buddah. No Allah. These are the alleys. You live by the ball. You die by the ball. If you see a pin, it can see you. And if you pause-- hesitate for just one split second-- then the pin already has you.

🎳 4 life

• Garbage Person

Such is the way of pizza beer and bowling league.

• Status: I seem to be having DNS problems. Sites I've accessed recently (TDWTF, Google, YT) are working fine, but other sites (Wikipedia, IMDB) are either timing out or failing to resolve the name. When Discourse works but the rest of the Web doesn't, something's seriously wrong.

Edit: And the problem resolved itself.

• If you play asuraball, you'd know there is no god.

Filed under: especially if you play as the ball

• @FrostCat said:

That's it then. Go to the top and re-read the thread until you remember the story again.

• BINNED

Status: took the stairs ... someone mistook the elevator for a beer storage facility or something ... broken glass and a puddle of beer on the elevator floor are :doing_it_wrong:, even in belgium

• Status: so apparently my minijack output in my work laptop stopped working. The only thing that I can listen to music on now is the crappy half-broken USB headset.

Like a peasant... *sigh*