The Official Status Thread

• Java Dev

@Lorne_Kates said:

Make interest work for you. Yo yo yo!

Is Canadian economy that much better? Cause my savings account interest is down to 0.9%.

• @FrostCat said:

But you have to break out the price and the tax when you do that, so it takes more space, which is maybe why most places dont' do it?

Also, the actual tax is calculated on the total purchase, not individual items. Due to rounding the final total will likely differ from the sum of the individual items. This will likely confuse some customers who can add but not do real math.

• FoxDev

@mott555 said:

I've never seen that happen before

i worked as a cashier for 7 years before moving to IT. i've seen it happen at least once per shift.

i've also had cause to ask questions like:

• How did they get shit on the ceiling?! it's 20 feet up from here!
    • did they think i wouldn't call them out on that? i saw them hide that item.
    • Why did you strip stark naked in our store to try on lingere? we have a fitting room for a reason!
    • Why did you think i would accept a charcoal briquette as a return for a "defective book"?
    • You want me to special order you a baby?! adoption does not work like that!

• @accalia said:

How did they get shit on the ceiling?! it's 20 feet up from here!

Interstate rest stops taught me to quit caring enough to even ask. Some people are incredibly talented in very useless ways.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@HardwareGeek said:

Also, the actual tax is calculated on the total purchase, not individual items. [plot exposition]

Yeah, although I didn't want to overcomplicate the discussion.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@FrostCat said:
    But you have to break out the price and the tax when you do that, so it takes more space, which is maybe why most places dont' do it?

Also, the actual tax is calculated on the total purchase, not individual items. Due to rounding the final total will likely differ from the sum of the individual items. This will likely confuse some customers who can add but not do real math.

So, to save some money one should run a separate transaction for each item they're purchasing? 🚎

• @FrostCat said:

I didn't want to overcomplicate the discussion.

YMBNH

• @CarrieVS said:

Congratulations on your divorce becoming official?

The first 2 years over then?

• @NedFodder said:

divorce

That does not end the indentured servitude.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Lorne_Kates said:

Now take that same amount of money you'd be paying each month, and stuff it into a savings account. Make interest work for you. Yo yo yo!

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.” - Albert Einstein

@accalia said:

Why did you think i would accept a charcoal briquette as a return for a "defective book"?

I particularly liked the ones that would buy, say, a Fisher-Price house-type thing or whatever, then fill it up with cheap stuffed animals and return the box, hoping the CSR wouldn't open it.

@HardwareGeek said:

YMBNH

Not at all, I was just leaving you an opening.

• @FrostCat said:

leaving you an opening

:giggity:

@DogsB said:

STATUS Tired and in dire need of cheap whiskey.

Status: Talked to one of the workers at Costco and found out their new sour mash whiskey is made by Jack Daniels. $25/bottle versus $43. Yay for cheap whiskey.

• ♿ (Parody)

@JazzyJosh said:

@boomzilla said:
    You don't pay taxes on stuff like raw (unprepared) meat.

2% food tax here.

Huh. But I did look it up for @accalia before I posted that.

• @HardwareGeek said:

That's the only thing I can think of where it's routine, too.

Parking, and conces--

@HardwareGeek said:

I have occasionally seen tax included in the price for food at a venue like, say, a sports stadium, for efficiency.

--sions.

• @PleegWat said:

Is Canadian economy that much better? Cause my savings account interest is down to 0.9%.

Curious: does that beat Canadian inflation? EDIT: to give an idea, US inflation for 2015 was 0.7% Over the last decade or so, it's averaged 1.5%-ish. I don't know the exact number.

Normal savings account interest in the US hasn't beat inflation in years and years. Money Market account interest usually does ok though. Many commonly-sold CDs (certificates of deposit) aren't sold at a high-enough rate to guarantee they beat inflation. (I recently had this discussion with a friend of mine, saying his CD strategy was probably losing him more retirement money than earning.)

@accalia said:

it also means that people who are shopping don't know the final cost of their items until they get to the register

Maybe. But those same people are also unlikely to be good enough at math to keep a running total in their head anyway, so your point is 🐄. Our sales tax here in my city is 7%. For every $14, I add $1 and it gets me close enough. We typically do not worry about keeping a running total when we grocery shop though. We know what we need, we get that, then when the wife and I get to the checkout we each guesstimate and wager on who will be closest. I am usually pretty close, and my wife is always way off.

@accalia said:

which inevitably leads to somone who isn't so good at budgeting forgetting about tax and having to void items to bring the total down to the point they can afford it... much to the annoyance of everyone around and the acute embarassment of the shopper

Yeah, that happened to the family in front of me last week. They also ran three fucking orders through the self scan so they could use three coupons of the same that were only valid one per order. :angry:

• @Polygeekery said:

Status: Talked to one of the workers at Costco and found out their new sour mash whiskey is made by Jack Daniels. $25/bottle versus $43. Yay for cheap whiskey.

I wouldn't buy the crap so low-quality even Jack Daniels won't put their name on it. Probably aged in old railroad oil cars.

• @loopback0 said:

The first 2 years over then?

Indeed. And I'm looking for another job.

@blakeyrat said:

I wouldn't buy the crap so low-quality even Jack Daniels won't put their name on it.

It is the same whiskey as best I can tell. The last time I bought it I had a bottle of Jack that was 1/2 full. I did a lot of back to back taste comparisons and could not tell a difference.

@blakeyrat said:

Probably aged in old railroad oil cars.

No, it is aged in sugar maple barrels, the same as Jack Daniels.

• Status: Caught up on Dragonball yesterday. They just took down Freeza at long last, but the Champa showed up and tried to one up Beerus with food from universe 6, but Beerus just laughed at him, because he now has access to Earth food. Champa got really upset when he found out that universe 6's Earth was wiped of all life at some point.

So Champa challenged Beerus, and said he'll switch their earths if Beerus' team doesn't win a cross-universe martial arts tournament, where they both bring the five strongest beings from their universe. Beerus plans to head his team with the only being in his universe stronger than Goku, though of course he and Vegeta will be on the team. We don't know who this mysterious person is, but basically:

• New Dragonball arc
    • That's a tournament

Everything is right in the world.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Clearly, that show is designed to remind us that our workplaces aren't that bad of a :wtf:

• Is Beerus the purple naked cat dude?

I got a copy of one of the roughly 473726 Dragonball movies on my Xbox due to some loyalty reward or something, and I saw a review that said that like 90% of the movie was Beerus the "villain" not actually doing anything whatsoever villainous and that made me laugh.

Never got around to watching it, though, and when I checked a few weeks later the offer was expired and I would have had to pay for it so fuck that.

• Yeah, Beerus is that cat guy. He's the God of Destruction. He's not exactly evil, but he's sort of a primal force that destroys things, and his way of determining whether or not to destroy things has become over the millenia whether or not people can give him food he likes.

Goku got temporarily promoted to a god to fight him, and kept a lot of the power afterward. Then some idiot revived Freeza again, who trained a bit, learned a new form, and went to go kill all the humans and especially Goku. Goku and Vegeta were off training with Beerus' martial arts trainer, and eventually came back and beat him, using their new transformation: Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, wherein they go SSJ with god powers, giving them blue hair.

Those are the two latest movies, but have been adapted into a new anime, Dragon Ball Super, where they make up the first quarter of the planned series. We just got past there last week.

• Garbage Person

Yep. Dragonball plotline is still word salad.

• Nah, far less green guys these days. All the villains lately have been gold and purple.

• Garbage Person

Word salad, not character salad.

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

@loopback0 said:
    :wtf:

my reaction exactly, but what choice do i have?

Move?
    She hints in a not at all subtle manner :)

**Status:**strong text Responding much later than normal because of some dumb fuck who decided to block a major road with his lorry.

• @Magus said:

Yeah, Beerus is that cat guy. He's the God of Destruction. He's not exactly evil, but he's sort of a primal force that destroys things, and his way of determining whether or not to destroy things has become over the millenia whether or not people can give him food he likes.

I liked that better when it was called Marvel Comics Galactus. RIPOFF!!!

@Magus said:

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

Oh noes, next he'll have to go Super Super Saiyan Saiyan God God Saiyan Saiyan Super Super!!!

@Magus said:

wherein they go SSJ with god powers, giving them blue hair.

Ironically, when Sonic the Hedgehog goes Super Saiyan, he loses his blue hair. Go figure.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

hoping the CSR wouldn't open it.

they were thwarted every time by me.

hmm, it looks like you must have put the wrong item in this box for return. Shall i process the return of these stuffed animals or would you like to actually get the item you wanted to return?

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

She hints in a not at all subtle manner :)

hmm.... it's tempting.

@Polygeekery said:

Apparently the Kirkland brand Champagne and some of their other wines are supposed to be significantly better than the more expensive non-Costco brands. I've never really tested this as going to Costco is a 35 minute drive each way, which reduces any benefit significantly.

@accalia said:

they were thwarted every time by me.

Well I wish you'd been working at the Toys 'R Us and had been able to prevent me from buying one of those that had been put back out on the shelf. My kids were very sad.

• But you can clearly see why I'm watching it, right? I mean you're entertained by nothing more than a bad description!

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Well I wish you'd been working at the Toys 'R Us and had been able to prevent me from buying one of those that had been put back out on the shelf.

no such luck. never worked for them.

..... sorry.

@accalia said:

sorry.

Well, I mean it's not as if they didn't get over it, but it kinda sucks.

• STATUS: So many soundcloud playlist downloaders, not one that works properly.

@loopback0 said:

Apparently the Kirkland brand Champagne and some of their other wines are supposed to be significantly better than the more expensive non-Costco brands. I've never really tested this as going to Costco is a 35 minute drive each way, which reduces any benefit significantly.

I have liked all of the Costco booze that we have purchased. They tend to have really good products. Their Kirkland vodka and tequila are the ones we stock around here and I am a firm believer in "life is too short to drink bad booze".

Now, if I could just get them to have Kirkland brand Pappy Vanwinkle for cheap, I would be a happy fellow.

@Polygeekery said:

Pappy Vanwinkle

Sounds like a character from an old Disney film.
    I know what it really is before someone pipes up

I'd get stuff from Costco more often if it was closer, or I was buying for more than one person.

• @loopback0 said:

Apparently the Kirkland brand Champagne and some of their other wines are supposed to be significantly better than the more expensive non-Costco brands.

Note that Costco is a Seattle-area company and thus amazing at everything and also you should buy there.

• The summary might be amusing, but the actual show (back when I tried to watch an episode) was literally just two dudes floating in the air and grunting at each other, then a pig-man making comments about it. That was the whole 30-minute episode. Just that.

It was boring as shit.

• That does still happen sometimes. But this series has more in common with the original than Z for the most part. Yes, the fight with Beerus took like 6 or so episodes while people panicked in the background, and that was a bit much, but it's much more lighthearted than before. None of this Goku holding a spirit bomb over his head for three episodes like they used to have.

• Could me worse, there was some anime a friend in college wanted me to watch that was like .hack////sign.hack///computerzguyz or something.

The entire episode had no animation. Seriously. It was just silhouettes of the backs of characters' heads (so they didn't have to do lip sync) and a slowly scrolling background image. There weren't even a LOT of background images, and I'm pretty sure they were recycled.

It was pathetic to even call it a "cartoon". It was a goddamned barely-illustrated radio show. I'd rather watch Clutch Cargo, at least they "solved" the lip sync issue.

Whenever someone asks, "how can Japan put out so many animated shows every year?" I always think: well it's easy when you don't even bother to animate them!

"Oh Avatar the Last Airbender, that's not a real anime because it's not from Japan." "Oh that explains why THE CHARACTERS ACTUALLY MOVE AND DO THINGS sometimes.

• @loopback0 said:

I can't see how it impacts my tax next year.

It's anecdotal hearsay, but a couple of the people I know who paid them off got a lump sum repayment covering their overpayment, and had their tax reduced for some reason. After a year of this, they got letters telling them they had underpaid by a fair amount and owed the tax man roughly the same as their student loan overpayment. They were not happy at that one...

• The .hack// shows are, as a rule, awful. The first two are essentially trailers for their games. The second one has a cool soundtrack and looks nice, but is stupidly boring. Now, the movies on the other hand... those are pretty great.

@blakeyrat said:

I always think: well it's easy when you don't even bother to animate them!

Eh, some of them do an awesome job of that. It really depends on the studio, though. There's at least one studio I can name that specializes in constant pans, cuts to text, and rare extremely high framerate short animations. But at the same time, there are several that do a wonderful job. Seriously, watch just about anything by Bones (Full Metal Alchemist would be a good choice) and you'll see things done well.

@blakeyrat said:

"Oh Avatar the Last Airbender, that's not a real anime because it's not from Japan." "Oh that explains why THE CHARACTERS ACTUALLY MOVE AND DO THINGS sometimes.

That show seemed fine. The dialogue was kind of dumb, but they tried to have a plot, which is more than I can say for most American shows.

• @Magus said:

Seriously, watch just about anything by Bones

Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not an animator!