The Official Status Thread

• 🚽 Regular

@HardwareGeek said:

And thereafter, as well. I think my floors are made of dog hair.

My chair at work now has cat hair on it. At this point I think I'd have to hoover the cats directly to stop fur appearing on everything I own.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@DogsB said:

Not at this moment in time. I suspect this is likely to change.

The company I work for don't block it - even we're sensible enough to have things configured to stop a single person using Youtube causing network problems for others.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@CarrieVS said:

@DogsB said:
    In better news our IT guy is complaining about someone watching 720p60 youtube videos on the company vpn slowing it down for everyone

YouTube is not blocked?

Yes it is.

Follow up: RedTube is not blocked?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 42 hours unless flagged)

DON'T POST SHIT IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO DELETE IT DIPTARD!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

They're using radio buttons as checkboxes, so already I have some comments for their beta test. LEARN HOW TO UI, MORONS!

"Thank you for your feedback. Specially, thank you for providing your email address with your feedback. Would you like us to import your contact list (Yes) (No, Do It Tomorrow)"

• @Lorne_Kates said:

@blakeyrat said:
    (post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 42 hours unless flagged)

DON'T POST SHIT IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO DELETE IT DIPTARD!

He was complaining about a series of posts that the moderators jeffed shortly after he posted that.

• Status: Got bored of my refactoring project, started surfing StackOverflow. Some of these questions are so stupid:

First of all, you don't park a manual transmission in neutral, moron. You're supposed to put it in 1st or Reverse and engage the parking brake, exactly like putting an automatic in Park and engaging the parking brake. And yes, in both cases the parking brake is probably not strictly necessary (except I live in Seattle, so it is, but we'll ignore that for now) but it certainly doesn't hurt anything and in cases where it helps, it prevents your car from getting totaled by rolling into the drug store at the end of the street.

I liked the long-winded by informative answer on this one, and the little comment below it that says, "I put this in the comments of the conspiracy theory blog that was promoting this idea and they blocked me." Heh.

This one bugs me because there's like 48 answers and NONE of them points out that products like Vegas, Final Cut, and Premiere have had a standard icon for this for decades. WTF?!

Now they independently offered the same idea, but it still bugs me that nobody mentioned there are already products that have that exact button. (Someone also recommended the looping arrow, but as you can see from that Vegas screenshot, it uses that exact icon for an utterly different purpose. So don't do that.)

The top answer neglects to mention the Dominion. UH GUYS THAT WAS A HUGE PLOT POINT IN DS9.

The second answer mentions the Dominion but neglects like a dozen others.

Neither mentions the Next Generation episode which revealed that the Federation had not only been secretly working on a cloaking device, but they'd actually installed it on a starship and tested it. (The one in the Defiant wasn't that; it was one the Romulans had lent to the Federation.) It was a good episode, The Pegasus, Riker got into a shouting match with his ex-captain.

EDIT ANOTHER:

That sentence is completely inscrutible to someone who's spoken english all their lives. I think I would have had to diagram it out like Lawrence Sproul had to, if it was presented to me. Yebus.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@aliceif said:

I just misread "Flurries" as "Furries" in my weather app.

It was scary.

http://i.imgur.com/ArBF73p.png

• Ok if you're doing "code golf" but you use a language like "MATL" or "CJAM" or "Jelly" which is specifically designed for code golf, I'm sorry, but that's cheating. At least Python and ECMAScript6 are real languages.

Hell I can't even tell what "Jelly" is. If you Google it, it brings up references to some XML-based language.

This is interesting because I was always taught in my gym classes that you should always do static stretching before all types of exercise, including lifting. Apparently that was basically "common knowledge" and there's no evidence that it helps at all.

Since the new year, I've been "exercising" (not really like in any organized way, but I'm doing at least 200 jumping jacks or equivalent every day now), and I haven't been stretching, mainly just to save time, but now I can stop feeling bad about it.

Anyway, his trainer probably went to a school like mine where it just "common knowledge" that you stretched before exercise.

@blakeyrat said:

Since the new year, I've been "exercising" (not really like in any organized way, but I'm doing at least 200 jumping jacks or equivalent every day now), and I haven't been stretching, mainly just to save time, but now I can stop feeling bad about it.

Stretching was always conventional wisdom. I took a weightlifting course in college and they said--as some people are now starting to more widely do--that stretching before weightlifting can actually weaken you a bit, and they said warming up on a treadmill was better.

I don't know if anyone's actually done repeatable scientific testing of that.

• Well this question was about a trainer who insisted on both stretching and aerobics (like a treadmill) before lifting.

The answer says kibosh the stretching, but the aerobics is probably beneficial.

I'd be suspicious of a claim that stretching weakens you, that just doesn't sit well in my brain. The benefit we'd always been told is it prevented muscle tears or sprains, which is now known to be untrue.

• Wow I learned something new here.

You can install a "binfmt" in Linux that instructs the kernel how to execute a particular file based on the "magic number" at the beginning; and Debian is shipped in a configuration that will run "AnyCPU" mono/.net apps magically by default. That's surprisingly slick.

@blakeyrat said:

I'd be suspicious of a claim that stretching weakens you, that just doesn't sit well in my brain.

Bear in mind this is like 15 years ago so maybe I'm misremembering. I think the idea was that stretching sort of temporarily tires out the muscle before you do the actual weightlifting. It's not a permanent thing, it doesn't actually undo the exercise--it was more that it makes your workout less effective than it would've been.

• Speaking of Star Trek:

I did not know about the Spock Helmet, and now I want nothing more than I want that.

(The name was a sticker you affixed to the helmet. This kid foolishly chose KIRK instead of SPOCK. I assumed he was mocked by his peers.)

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Finished the first phase of translating a MS Access VBA module to SQL Server. It mightprobably doesn't sound impressive, except for the fact that almost all of the routines take the form "Declare string with SQL query, set the database object to the current database (:wtf:), and execute it"

I believe I can magic this 2245 line POS into about 400 lines of stored procedure code.

Baloney.

@blakeyrat said:

Ok if you're doing "code golf" but you use a language like "MATL" or "CJAM" or "Jelly" which is specifically designed for code golf, I'm sorry, but that's cheating.

Code golf is mental masturbation from the get go anyway. Good code is as clear as possible and as testable as possible. Being super-short is unrelated.

Status: Tired yet couldn't sleep properly last night, so even more tired now. Hate this.

Status: How the fuck is it Thursday already?! Where's the rest of the week gone?

• FoxDev

Have you checked down the back of the sofa?

• FoxDev

Status: Annoyed because Visual Studio Online has come down with Discourse Syndrome*

*Symptoms include, but are not limited to:

• Extreme slowness
    • Endless 5xx errors
    • Inability to actually do anything useful, except for narrow windows where it's not totally fucked

Edit: Representative text:

We were unable to automatically populate your Visual Studio Team Services accounts.

The following error was encountered: One or more errors occurred.

Yay.

• 75 parsecs of time is something in the region of 250 years.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

I don't know if anyone's actually done repeatable scientific testing of that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html#=

Controversy remains about the extent to which dynamic warm-ups prevent injury. But studies have been increasingly clear that static stretching alone before exercise does little or nothing to help. The largest study has been done on military recruits; results showed that an almost equal number of subjects developed lower-limb injuries (shin splints, stress fractures, etc.), regardless of whether they had performed static stretches before training sessions. A major study published earlier this year by the Centers for Disease Control, on the other hand, found that knee injuries were cut nearly in half among female collegiate soccer players who followed a warm-up program that included both dynamic warm-up exercises and static stretching. (For a sample routine, visit www.aclprevent.com/pepprogram.htm.) And in golf, new research by Andrea Fradkin, an assistant professor of exercise science at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, suggests that those who warm up are nine times less likely to be injured.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

This kid foolishly chose KIRK instead of SPOCK. I assumed he was mocked by his peers.

Not after he punched them out and held hands with their girlfriends.

Two months ago, I was happily hacking on my nice hipstery project.

And now I'm dealing with this:

How did I end up here?

Where did my life go wrong?

• I have a beutiful way to abuse Discourse's CDN service, but it is too long to fit into this post. Instead, here's a screenshot of my avatar-rendered avatar:

(via http://picascii.com/ )

• 🚽 Regular

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

but it is too long to fit into this post

Good combo for the hash post length exploit? (no idea if it can be abused to do images, I tried to see but that thread won't even open for me anymore).

Status: So I was using Spring to configure a webapp, and we decided to switch from using HTTP URLs in a key part of the response message to using SMB URLs, so naming where the data concerned actually was. Just update the config file and redeploy.

Nope. :facepalm:

Here's a tiny fragment of the error (with a little anonymisation in a spot where it doesn't matter); the full log is well over 100 lines and says not much more:

... 57 more
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.TypeMismatchException: Failed to convert value of type 'java.lang.String' to required type 'java.net.URL'; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not retrieve URL for ServletContext resource [/smb://■■■■■■■/data/working]: ServletContext resource [/smb://■■■■■■■/data/working] cannot be resolved to URL because it does not exist
            at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterSupport.doConvert(TypeConverterSupport.java:74)
            at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterSupport.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterSupport.java:51)
            at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.doResolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:785)
            at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.resolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:770)
            at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$AutowiredFieldElement.inject(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:489)
            ... 59 more
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not retrieve URL for ServletContext resource [/smb://■■■■■■■/data/working]: ServletContext resource [/smb://■■■■■■■/data/working] cannot be resolved to URL because it does not exist
            at org.springframework.beans.propertyeditors.URLEditor.setAsText(URLEditor.java:77)
            at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.doConvertTextValue(TypeConverterDelegate.java:455)
            at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.doConvertValue(TypeConverterDelegate.java:427)
            at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterDelegate.java:181)
            at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterDelegate.java:110)
            at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterSupport.doConvert(TypeConverterSupport.java:58)
            ... 63 more

There's way more stack trace, but this includes the relevant bit, where Spring has decided that a smb: URL that should be just pitched unchanged into the code is really a file that it should read from the filesystem. Funny, I didn't mount anything on /smb:/ so it doesn't work! I'm somewhat at a loss to work out who thought this was a Good Idea to do in Spring, but it's… umm… “surprising” shall we say?

Workaround was trivial (switch to the URI class inside the webapp and everything starts working) but not something I wanted to find out in a production deployment a few minutes before lunch…

• Well of course, but it's still cheating to use a language SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR CODE GOLF and nothing else.

• ♿ (Parody)

It's just a different way to play. Like playing from the women's tees in a round of golf.

• Considering the people who submit entries in MPLAP (or whatever that language was called) probably designed the language itself, the whole exercise becomes significantly more pathetic.

• Status: Recruiter called me at 06:39. 06-fucking-39. She called from the same time zone I'm in, so there's no excuse. At least her phone number is in the same time zone; for all I know she could physically be in Outer Dumbfuckistan. On top of that, the position she called me about is one that I was contacted for by another recruiter almost two months ago, and had a phone interview for last week.

• @cartman82 said:

How did I end up here?

I don't know how you ended up there, but I'd say it went wrong somewhere in Korea.

@cartman82 said:

Did you get enlightened or something?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Considering the people who submit entries in MPLAP (or whatever that language was called) probably designed the language itself, the whole exercise becomes significantly more pathetic.

Well, it's fun for them. I enjoy playing code golf sometimes. I think it's the most fun when everyone is using the same language, though it's often interesting to see what other languages can do.

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

Recruiter called me at 06:39. 06-fucking-39. She called from the same time zone I'm in, so there's no excuse.

Maybe she wasn't aware that you aren't employed and calls early to get to people before they leave for work?

• @HardwareGeek said:

At least her phone number is in the same time zone;

?

Phone numbers haven't had "locations" in decades at this point.

• @boomzilla said:

>static stretching alone before exercise does little or nothing to help.... knee injuries were cut nearly in half among female collegiate soccer players who followed a warm-up program that included both dynamic warm-up exercises and static stretching.

A long time ago, I took ballet classes for a while. The teacher was very focused on injury prevention. The classes were structured with fairly gentle warm-ups at the barre, then stretching, then more vigorous exercises at the centre.

• FoxDev

Status: Wondering why I'd ever want to control my kettle from my phone.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/smarter-ikettle-20-a15uj

Also wondering who would spend £80-£100 on a kettle when you can get one that does the job just as well for a fiver.

@RaceProUK said:

Also wondering who would spend £80-£100 on a kettle when you can get one that does the job just as well for a fiver.

Someone who wants a kettle that can automatically update their Facebook status with “I've put the [expensive brand of kettle] on from my iDildo!”

• FoxDev

Ah yes, the hipster; keep forgetting about them...

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

Status: Wondering why I'd ever want to control my kettle from my phone.

/me is wondering why you wouldn't want a pulsejet powered kettle.....

I call it the JETTLE!

• @blakeyrat said:

Phone numbers haven't had "locations" in decades at this point.

Huh? Phone numbers have area codes (yes, you can take your cell phone into a different area, but landlines are usually physically connected in the area corresponding to their area code — unless it's a toll-free area code, but this wasn't), and the area code is for the SF Bay Area, which is the same time zone as Seattle. The office address in the emails she sent before and after calling me are also in the SF Bay Area.

@boomzilla said:

get to people before they leave for work?
    Maybe. Even so, that's awfully early to call somebody. I saw the call was from a number I didn't recognize and let it go to voicemail. I'm not even going to give her any indication that I got the message before normal business hours.

Colin Furze does not need to use Facebook to let people know when he's put the kettle on. Everyone within a wide area will hear the ear-splitting roar of the contraption directly…

[Fuck you, :disco:🐎. Did this post or not? Make your mind up!]

• FoxDev

@dkf said:

Colin Furze does not need to use Facebook to let people know when he's put the kettle on. Everyone within a wide area will hear the ear-splitting roar of the contraption directly…

EXACTLY!

the kettle anounces its use for him!

• @accalia said:

the kettle anounces its use for him!

In Soviet Russia the kettle announces you!
    Or something. I'll show myself out.

• @accalia said:

my third ever badge of that class

Wondering how Discourse manages to utterly fail to display a simple page of ~50 small images with captions — 502 on every single attempt since last night.

• FoxDev

@HardwareGeek said:

Wondering how Discourse manages to utterly fail to display a simple page of ~50 small images with captions — 502 on every single attempt since last night.

because it's trying to count the tens of thousands of good post badges i got because of /t/1000?

• @accalia said:

because it's trying to count the tens of thousands of good post badges i got because of /t/1000?

I was trying to get to my own badge page, but yes, same probable answer; same discofail.

• ♿ (Parody)

I think it's also counting up everything else so it can show you the numbers on the left side menu.